Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-08-19 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3053130

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
debbiereid06 - 2010-08-19 1:49 PM I like competition so I would be up for something.  I like the core thing to...that is what I struggle with most.  I would say not going with a specific workout or anything, but xxx amount or every other day or something. 

New job is going great, even though i had to carry a student into school kicking and screaming yesterday! 

We are headed to see comedian Jeff Dunham tonight.  I think it should be good.  No big plans for the weekend.  Relaxing and BBQing!

What is everyone else up to?

I am bored out of my mind!  I can only facebook and surf the net for so long!  Anyone have any good training blogs or websites they check out.  Summertime is always so slow at the office!  No one wants to take care of tax problems or make accounting changes in the summer.  I took off tomorrow because my hubby was supposed to be home with the boys.  Now that I am taking off he is probably going to work!  He has felt like he needs to work tomorrow but he knew my mom (who watches my boys) had plans tomorrow so he could not change his days. 

2010-08-19 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3053158

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-08-19 12:00 PM
debbiereid06 - 2010-08-19 1:49 PM I like competition so I would be up for something.  I like the core thing to...that is what I struggle with most.  I would say not going with a specific workout or anything, but xxx amount or every other day or something. 

New job is going great, even though i had to carry a student into school kicking and screaming yesterday! 

We are headed to see comedian Jeff Dunham tonight.  I think it should be good.  No big plans for the weekend.  Relaxing and BBQing!

What is everyone else up to?

I am bored out of my mind!  I can only facebook and surf the net for so long!  Anyone have any good training blogs or websites they check out.  Summertime is always so slow at the office!  No one wants to take care of tax problems or make accounting changes in the summer.  I took off tomorrow because my hubby was supposed to be home with the boys.  Now that I am taking off he is probably going to work!  He has felt like he needs to work tomorrow but he knew my mom (who watches my boys) had plans tomorrow so he could not change his days. 

Try http://www.bodyrock.tv/ or http://www.active.com/ I find lots of good fitness/workout ideas on these sites

crazy busy at the office this week and will be also next week as I try to pack a full weeks work into 3 days...ugh, working too much just to take 3 days off!
2010-08-19 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Debbie - Sounds like an awesome job! haha!  I hope you're enjoying it.

Meggan - I agree!  The past week has been slow at work for me too, and there's only so much net surfing you can do!  Unfortunately, the days that aren't slow are REALLY busy it seems!  No happy medium.

T1 - I'm totally down with doing some type of competition.  Core workouts would be cool, since a lot of us seem to be slacking on those.  But anything works!

Random question:  Do any of you have irrational fears? 

I'm actually really afraid of the dark.  This week, it's been getting light later, so I refuse to run in the mornings.  I know that seems odd, but even with the dog, I just don't feel safe.  Never have.  And to make matters worse, this creepy guy at the apartment complex next to ours barked at me the other day while running, and has been watching for me... I'm going to ask my MIL if we can have her treadmill because she never uses it and has asked if we wanted it before.  Is it that odd to alter my workout schedule because of this fear?
2010-08-19 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3053681

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
SoccerGK - 2010-08-19 3:44 PM

I'm actually really afraid of the dark.  This week, it's been getting light later, so I refuse to run in the mornings.  I know that seems odd, but even with the dog, I just don't feel safe.  Never have.  And to make matters worse, this creepy guy at the apartment complex next to ours barked at me the other day while running, and has been watching for me... I'm going to ask my MIL if we can have her treadmill because she never uses it and has asked if we wanted it before.  Is it that odd to alter my workout schedule because of this fear?

I think it is important to have a healthy respect for the dark, being outside and being alone.  I am not scared of the dark, but I am aware that if I run in the dark, by myself I am putting myself at risk.  This past winter was the first time I started running in the dark, but I am well lit and never ever run alone, my local running store has group run nights a couple of times a week and that is when I try to run, if I can't make a night, I have made so many running friends from this group that we arrange runs on our own, so no one runs alone even in the full light of day.  I don't know if you have tried running with a club or other people, but it might be worth trying if you haven't.  Also, check local malls, a lot of them will let people in before hours to walk or run and then there are some recreation centers that have indoor tracks.  If none of those works for you, then yes get the treadmill because you need to feel good and safe when running.  I don't think your fear is irrational and I don't think that changing your workouts because of it is weird.
2010-08-19 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3053681

User image

Expert
South Jersey
SoccerGK - 2010-08-19 5:44 PM Debbie - Sounds like an awesome job! haha!  I hope you're enjoying it.

Meggan - I agree!  The past week has been slow at work for me too, and there's only so much net surfing you can do!  Unfortunately, the days that aren't slow are REALLY busy it seems!  No happy medium.

T1 - I'm totally down with doing some type of competition.  Core workouts would be cool, since a lot of us seem to be slacking on those.  But anything works!

Ask for the treadmill!!  It has been my saving grace.  no way I would be able to do anything with my boys if I had not gotten one.

Irrational fear?!?  I will not stick my hand down the garbage disposal.  if something falls down there, I make John get it.  If is is clogged, I make John do it.  I have this fear that it will automatically turn on when my hand is down there.  Go ahead, you can laugh.  I know you want to!!
2010-08-19 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3051995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
LockOut - 2010-08-19 6:07 AM Also, BT seems to really be pushing their training plans and what have you, and the prices aren't bad with the sale that is currently going on.  What do the "premium" members think of them?  I have my tri club now, so I wouldn't really need the training plans per se, but what about the added benefits?  Are there many?

Pete, I have the bronze membership and the main reason I get it is to be able to upload my garmin information, and have access to some additional video's and nutritional info.

Edited by corstan 2010-08-19 10:39 PM

2010-08-19 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3051995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

argh, I'm just too fast for these forums sometimes...double post

Edited by corstan 2010-08-19 9:22 PM
2010-08-20 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Debbie:  How was the show?  I think Jeff Dunham is hilarious.  I hope you enjoyed it!  This weekend, I have a 4 day weekend starting tomorrow, and I'm going to the cottage with a bunch of the guys from high school that still keep in touch.  We're going to be about 11 or 12 up there, so it will be a fun time!  I am still going to try to run and swim, but the nutrition may not be great.  Next week, I have the apartment to myself, though, so I will be doing nothing but training!  

Irrational fears:  I don't think so.  I do think that I have a fear of the cops when I am driving, though.  Even if I am driving well, not doing anything wrong, just seeing the cops gets my heart going, and help me if the lights go on.  I don't really know why, since I AM a good driver, and I generally don't drive TOO much above the speed limit.

Thanks for the info about the premium levels! 
2010-08-21 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Pete-Jeff Dunham was great.  My cheeks hurt from laughing so hard! 

Irrational Fears:  This probably sounds crazy, but I am afraid my husband is going to be in an accident.  If I don't hear from him at the normal times when he is traveling to and from work I start to freak out a little.  Strange, but true!
2010-08-23 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Hey guys and gals...totally went off the grid this weekend.  Had family call me Wed night and informed me they were coming in for the weekend.  So spent the weekend with them and didn't get much else done.  I did go see the movie Inception and loved it.  I like movies that make me think.

Will get back into the workouts today.  Will be focusing on running as I have a race coming up in 2 weeks and then another one at the end of Sept. 

Pete - I got the bronze membership and have liked it.  i checked the training programs on this site and like what they have in the free and bronze level.  i really didn't find anything at the silver level that made it worth it to upgrade for me. 

I like the core challenge.  Should we shoot for 3 days a week?  Sandra, do you have a core workout you could put together for us?  That way we are all doing the same thing.  Something that is doable for those that don't have a gym/weights/balance ball (or does everyone have access to that stuff?).  I'll do it but will have to be careful with it.  Last summer I dealt with torn ribcage cartilage and have been nervous about doing core/ab work again. 

Happy Monday!
2010-08-23 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3058360

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-08-23 8:40 AM Hey guys and gals...totally went off the grid this weekend.  Had family call me Wed night and informed me they were coming in for the weekend.  So spent the weekend with them and didn't get much else done.  I did go see the movie Inception and loved it.  I like movies that make me think.

Will get back into the workouts today.  Will be focusing on running as I have a race coming up in 2 weeks and then another one at the end of Sept. 

Pete - I got the bronze membership and have liked it.  i checked the training programs on this site and like what they have in the free and bronze level.  i really didn't find anything at the silver level that made it worth it to upgrade for me. 

I like the core challenge.  Should we shoot for 3 days a week?  Sandra, do you have a core workout you could put together for us?  That way we are all doing the same thing.  Something that is doable for those that don't have a gym/weights/balance ball (or does everyone have access to that stuff?).  I'll do it but will have to be careful with it.  Last summer I dealt with torn ribcage cartilage and have been nervous about doing core/ab work again. 

Happy Monday!

I told you it was a good movie!  Glad you enjoyed it. 

What distances are your races coming up?

2010-08-23 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3058360

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-08-23 6:40 AM Hey guys and gals...totally went off the grid this weekend.  Had family call me Wed night and informed me they were coming in for the weekend.  So spent the weekend with them and didn't get much else done.  I did go see the movie Inception and loved it.  I like movies that make me think.

Happy Monday!

I'm certain I could put something together, that wouldn't require any equipment, I"m a bit swamped at work this week and heading off to volunteer from IM Canada this coming weekend, but I'll try and get something challenging together before I head off,  should this be a month of September challenge? or do you want to start sooner?
2010-08-23 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I think the month of Sept would be good.  Not trying to swamp you any more than you are.  Thanks so much!

My first relay is on the 3rd and is 2.5mi (4 person @ 2.5mi each) and the other is on the 26th and is a marathon relay (5 legs of 12k, 2 10ks, and 2 5ks).  I'll be doing a 10k leg on that one.  We have had a marathon relay team now for 5 years I believe and each year we have gotten faster.  Last year was the first year we broke the 4hr mark.  Hope to improve again this year.  I am modifying a Hal Higdon 10k plan since I only have 5 weeks and not 8 to work with.  So I will really be ramping up my running starting this week and try to keep 2 days of biking in there as well. 
2010-08-23 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Hey guys - hope everyone is doing good.  Just had the busiest and longest week i have had in a long time.  It also correltated with my toughest HIM trainign week which I completely took a big crap on.  I have seen that week on the calendar for a while now and thought I could get through it but it killed me.  I had 3 late show nights of getting home after 3am and 1 band practice.  I was really bummed out all weekend and even took Saturday off for no reason at all.  I think I kind of hit my burnout stage which I have been expecting.  i even mentioned to Josi (wife) about possibly quiting and not doing the HIM.  She told me I was nuts which was exactly what I needed to hear-haha  Anyways it has been a real rough last two weeks and I am having to dig deep to find the motivation to get through these last 3 weeks.  I cannot wait until september is over!!!!

Erica - I am probably the wrong person right now to comment on this but if you think you can handle the HIM training for the 4-6 weeks during school then I say go for it.  The only person who can decide that is you.  Also I am finding life doesn't ever slow down.  There is always something going on and I think the biggest part of IM training is time management and setting your priorities.  If you fail at that you fail at training. Simple.

Pete - I have used the BT training programs for my last three races.  I was kind of suspect on the Olympic but the HIM I am doing is great.  It is definitely gonna push you.  You just have to really dig deep and do your homework on each plan before you commit to one.  I like how you can just import it into your planned log and I get e-mails every night at 9pm for my workouts for the next day.  The swim workouts have been great -almost better than my Master Swim group workouts.  Plus after a while you can get some good ideas and eventually draft your own plan. Good luck.

I am all for a core workout competition!!  That is my biggest weakness and would be the most beneficial I think for everyone.  Let me know what you guys come up with.
2010-08-24 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Got my running plan/schedule all set up now for the next 5 weeks.  I took a 10k plan and modified it to fit into my 5wk window.  I then used a plan here on BT and uploaded it into my log and changed just about every day to fit what I have set.  Now my plan is in my log instead of just on paper.  I've got 4 days of running, 2 days of biking, and one rest/swim day per week. 

Today is one of my biking days.  Not sure if I am going to do indoor or out yet.  Supposed to be another 105 degree day.

Totally OT: What did you want to be when you were growing up??
2010-08-24 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3060726

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-08-24 7:09 AM Got my running plan/schedule all set up now for the next 5 weeks.  I took a 10k plan and modified it to fit into my 5wk window.  I then used a plan here on BT and uploaded it into my log and changed just about every day to fit what I have set.  Now my plan is in my log instead of just on paper.  I've got 4 days of running, 2 days of biking, and one rest/swim day per week. 

Today is one of my biking days.  Not sure if I am going to do indoor or out yet.  Supposed to be another 105 degree day.

Good luck with the running plan, looks like you have it worked out and it will keep you busy for sure!

What did I want to be growing up...hmmm aside from princess, movie star or rock star, I really wanted to be a Mother with 11 children...I don't know why 11, but that is the number I had.  As the years progressed though, the number started to dwindle and I am most happy with the one that I have now.  Today, I am still not sure what I want to be when I grow up

2010-08-24 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3060726

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-08-24 9:09 AM Got my running plan/schedule all set up now for the next 5 weeks.  I took a 10k plan and modified it to fit into my 5wk window.  I then used a plan here on BT and uploaded it into my log and changed just about every day to fit what I have set.  Now my plan is in my log instead of just on paper.  I've got 4 days of running, 2 days of biking, and one rest/swim day per week. 

It is not even 80 here today Tim!!

I wanted to be a teacher growing up but changed my mind my first semester of college.  My degree is in Sociology and I did the social work thing for a few years.  I was a third of the way through my Masters in Social Work when I got out of that horrible field.  I am now an accountant but still not overly thrilled with it.  My friend is going for her PHD and is a professor at University of Sciences in Philly.  She said they are starting a Masters program in 2011 that I am going to check out.  It is a Health Promotions Masters Degree.
2010-08-24 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I can't believe I forgot to tell you guys, I bought a bike today!!  I talked to the owner of my lbs last Friday, he built a bike for me to try out and I was fitted for it on Sunday.  It fit me perfectly but it was raining so I could not test it out.   i went today at lunchtime to test it out and brought her home with me!  I think I am in love!!
2010-08-24 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3062077

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-08-24 4:43 PM I can't believe I forgot to tell you guys, I bought a bike today!!  I talked to the owner of my lbs last Friday, he built a bike for me to try out and I was fitted for it on Sunday.  It fit me perfectly but it was raining so I could not test it out.   i went today at lunchtime to test it out and brought her home with me!  I think I am in love!!

Awesome!  Congrats!! You'll have to post pictures and show it off
2010-08-25 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3062077

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
That's really cool Meggan.  What kind of bike did you end up with?  And yes, you'll have to put up some pictures when you can.

Mrschach - 2010-08-24 6:43 PM I can't believe I forgot to tell you guys, I bought a bike today!!  I talked to the owner of my lbs last Friday, he built a bike for me to try out and I was fitted for it on Sunday.  It fit me perfectly but it was raining so I could not test it out.   i went today at lunchtime to test it out and brought her home with me!  I think I am in love!!
2010-08-25 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3062821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2010-08-25 10:08 AM That's really cool Meggan.  What kind of bike did you end up with?  And yes, you'll have to put up some pictures when you can.

Mrschach - 2010-08-24 6:43 PM I can't believe I forgot to tell you guys, I bought a bike today!!  I talked to the owner of my lbs last Friday, he built a bike for me to try out and I was fitted for it on Sunday.  It fit me perfectly but it was raining so I could not test it out.   i went today at lunchtime to test it out and brought her home with me!  I think I am in love!!

3rd-ed!

Sorry for being MIA for the weekend.  Was up at the cottage.  Weekend was amazing, but not in an "I ate well and worked out at all" kind of way.  Ate like crap, drank so much beer and no water, and didn't get any workout in until I jumped off the boat on Monday morning and tried to catch up to it (about a 100m swim, so I didn't even count it).  But still, great weekend, and a lot of fun.  Good to see the guys, but I learned 2 things...

1) Don't leave your cell phone with a camera on it unattended around a group of 11 drunk guys who have known each other for over 10 years.  Your background WILL be changed.

2) We haven't matured at all since we lived together in the same dorm in grade 12.  We all still find the same things funny, and will still pull pranks on each other whenever possible.

Back at the grind this week.  Gained a few pounds over the weekend, but nowhere near what I was expecting!  Hopefully can get down below 175 lbs consistently before Sept. 1, so that I can aim for 3lbs a month to make my goal.  Here's hoping!

2010-08-25 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I guess I'll answer my own OT question.  I remember being in 1st grade and we learned about dinosaurs and I wanted to be a paleontologist.  That only lasted for about a year and then being a pilot took over.  Stuck with the pilot thing until HS and I began preparing to try to get into the Air Force Academy.  Got tested in HS and found out I have really bad vertigo and was pretty much told I won't be a pilot.  Kinda sucked at the time, but I've gotten well over it.  Now I've got a nice comfy desk job that I can't wait to retire from and then enjoy all my years of retirement!

We had an awesome little storm/cold front come through yesterday and dropped temps from 105 down to 81.  Only supposed to get into the mid 90s now for the next 10 days.  I am pretty excited.  Hopefully we are done with the oppressive heat. 

Happy Wednesday!
2010-08-25 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I started with the entry level Trek road bike.  I was trying to decide between that one and the next model up.  The owner of the bike shop told me to stick with the lower model at $200 cheaper.  He said the frame of the two bikes was the same.  He said the components are slightly better in the higher model but nothing I can't change out as time goes on.  He actually said that I would probably want to change some of the components out of the higher model anyway.  He said that it was better to stick with the cheaper one for the long run. 

I did not have them put the clipless pedals on yet.  He wanted me to get used to riding the bike before we added the pedals!!

2010-08-25 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3063295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
She's a beauty!  Congrats again!  Now get some time in the saddle!!!  
2010-08-25 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3063295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Very Pretty Meggan!  Congrats again!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103