BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-12 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3543514

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Nice ride Kate!

I hear you on the expense of racing.  At Ironman Lake Placid they mentioned in the guide a bunch of stats.  I think the average Ironman participant makes $120,000+/year (I think)... some must be making a helluva lot more than that because I'm positive my income brought the average down!

As you get connected to other triathletes you can have your own "triathlon".  We're doing a mini one, just a swim in a local park, then hitting the road of a race that is a month out and then running part of the run course.  Not as fun or as supported as the real thing, but it puts all that training to good use!

kgore - 2011-06-11 12:45 AM

It was another session as the frog mascot last night--this time for zoo members only...Not quite as much fun; while the kids at the last event enjoy the interaction and may not believe,they at least have fun(ok, prob'ly some DID believe, but still...). In this case, it was a bunch more kids who decided that it would be more fun to announce how they knew it was a person inside a suit, and they were determined to prove it...UG...even worse were the parents of the kids who were not questioning frog reality, who would then say quite loudly "it must be hot in that suit...the poor person inside....etc"  Kinda made me sad a bit....Its FUN people, just enjoy the experience!!! okay, that's my rant sorry.

Tonight, I FINALLY got on my bike--did a good 10+ mile ride out of my neighborhood and back...it was a really good ride--I was averaging about 14 mph or so, which is pretty good for my riding! It did wonders for my mood! I finally feel that regardless of what is going to happen, I am training---even if I cant afford to be in any races, I can still do my workouts for free--or at a very low cost! That is what truly matters--then if I can afford a race, I will be READY!!! Smile

2011-06-12 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3544001

User image

Master
Dunedin

Hope you enjoyed your race, Simon!

It's tough going into a race feeling like you're not physically (or mentally) where you should be to have your best race.  Some times the hardest part is getting in enough training to make it to the starting line. Just relax and pace yourself.  Save lots of energy so that the last 1/3 of the run you can bring it home to the finish line. =)

silverback25 - 2011-06-11 5:54 PM

Hi everyone.

Not posted for what seems like an age. Been having some serious doubts about my A race in 6 weeks time. Am i ready?Have i done enough training?What if i don't make it through the swim?What if i don't make it through the bike?what if i can't finish the marathon? These doubts weren't helped last week when i went out for a planned 5 hr bike ride and 2 hrs in my back went into spasm and i couldn't continue.Over the last week i have managed to get some good sessions in and have decided just to man up and get on with it. I'll be going across to germany probably under trained but figure this is better than going burnt out. I will enjoy the whole experience  and what will happen will happen.

Tomorrow is my last race in my build up . It's only a sprint so will not help my endurance but it's my local race and i pulled out last year due to an attack of the nerves. It's only about a 20 minute drive away so i been across this evening just to  settle myself down. It will be my second open water swim and after the nightmare i had a couple of week back i just needed to get a feel for the place. This seemed to help which is strange as i've run more miles round the lake than i care to mention.

will post a report tomorrow.

Regards

Simon

2011-06-12 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3544417

User image

Master
Dunedin

suzielea - 2011-06-12 5:48 AM The peachiness of June continues with a 20 min run/walk and 2 sets of push ups today (totalling in 31 pushups.) Tomorrow will be a 10 min run/walk (to make up for the 10 I missed tonight due to messing up my timers) and a swim plus hopefully some more push ups and ab work

I'm jealous of your peach!!!  I just didn't make it a priority on Friday, so now I have a yellow day. D'oh!!  I DID run from the parking lot to the building I had a lecture in, does that count? I bet it took me 5 minutes of running in HEELS to get there.  I think I get bonus points for running in heels. =)

2011-06-12 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3544470

User image

Master
Dunedin

Three weeks is plenty of time to get some kick azz training in! Nice job on your swim!

kgore - 2011-06-12 8:56 AM

Suzilea-I am impressed with the push-ups you're doing, is there a specific reason for them or just because you want to do them? I'm just curious (especially cause push-ups and I have never gotten along! Smile)

Last night, I completed a forty minute 1000 meter swim; It didn't feel as great as the last time, but it certainly wasn't bad! I did manage a whole mess of fifties without stopping at the end of the lanes, so I was kinda proud of that....Today's a busy work day, (i.e. more 'misc' sports---the advantage of a fairly physical job!)but not a regular training day. And tomorrow begins another round of coached tri classes--though I'll only be doing 1 x weekly sessions this round, due to financial stuff. I'll also be doing master swim every Thurs. starting this week again. Is nice to get back to full-on training...though I was only really struggling for a week and a half--it felt like a lifetime! I have exactly 27 days til my next tri ( a regular sprint this time...) So I'd best get to it!

2011-06-12 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3544511

User image

Master
Dunedin

Hi Laura!

Good to hear you're getting back into the swing of things!  Does the tri club have a website? I'd love to see about your new club!

nadaswimmer - 2011-06-12 9:51 AM

Hello All!

I have been reading up on your accomplishments...well done! Most of you are a bit farther along in training than I am right now. End of school grades and a move at the same time has kept me pretty busy. The garage is still full of boxes, but things are coming together and I am now managing to get in some training. My first season, I simply did 2 of each sport each week (3 swims because I was in danger of drowning). Last season I did a plan that included intervals, hills and such. I think I posted it a while back. This year, I will do that, and add in the missing link, strength training. I'm not there yet but working on it...A friend convinced me to do a sprint a bout 2 weeks out. (I think she just wants to kick my a**) Not sure of my speed, but I know that I can at least complete it. It is June 21st, I think. I plan on doing the two of each method until after that and then move into my plan for the summer. My next race won't be until August 21st so that gives me 2 months inbetween. What I have is a 4 week plan, so I typically do some of the weeks twice when I have more time than that.

Now that my Y is 4 min away instead of 20, it has been much easier to get in the swims! Runs are great in the new neighborhood. Biking is a challenge...To get to any backroads (moved from the country to the city) I must ride up a 4 mile hill immediately from my house in fairly heavy traffic...which sucks! I guess I will be in good shape soon, but its fair torture at the moment!

I did update my log for the week, but May will have to remain blank! I seriously need a training partner. I had to leave mine in my old town (30 min away). Close enough to work out occasionally, but the early morning daily run/ride/swims are out. Looking to meet some people here. I just sent in app for tri club here in town. Kinda intimidating, most are far more serious about it than I am. 

I'm glad to be back to some kind of routine! Happy training everyone!

Laura

2011-06-12 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3544793

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-12 3:09 PM

Micro Mini Race Report!

16 min PR

More later!

LOL, That was micro/mini!!! Congrats on a huge PR!

2011-06-12 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3544883

User image

Master
Dunedin

croixfan - 2011-06-12 4:24 PM Still peachy, but the challenge now begins....  Next week I'm traveling to Europe for work so it may be hard to keep the streak alive.

You can find SOMETHING to do to keep it peachy! Extra walking around the airport?  You'll have to walk to a pub every now and then, right?  Push ups in the hotel room?? Enjoy Europe, which country will you be visiting???

2011-06-12 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3544470

Extreme Veteran

Kate - I should qualify here that most of my push ups are wall, bench, knee bench (on my knees but following the same principle as bench) and knee varieties. I'm not really doing them for any reason other than I wanted to incorporate some ST in to my routine and was invited to a challenge by one of my RW (runnersworld) friends where you have to do the number of push ups as there has been days in the year so far. e.g. today would be 164 for the 13th of June but I need to make some up from yesterday because I only got 31 in. Nice work with the swim and 50's where you didn't stop at the end of the pool.

Laura - welcome back. Glad the move went well. I look forward to hearing more about your training and good luck getting the ST in

Johanne - Nice work on the PR

Curt - You do know running is a great way to get some explring done don't you? And if you can find somewhere to rent a bike then you're all set for that too. Not sure on the swim but you may be able to find somewhere to do that too, plus you can do all the other stuff listed in sports to get peachy too

Sara - nice idea on the "own triathlon" thing. Running in heels definitly counts but then I can barely walk in mine, lol. So as far as I'm concerned - yes you do get bonus points for running in them.

Today I'm doing an endurance swim and a 10 min run/walk using my new intervals because I stuffed things up last night and only got 20 mins in rather than the 30 I was meant to get. May be 12:30 but we'll see.

2011-06-13 12:35 AM
in reply to: #3545017

Extreme Veteran
suzielea - 2011-06-12 5:34 PM

Kate - I should qualify here that most of my push ups are wall, bench, knee bench (on my knees but following the same principle as bench) and knee varieties. I'm not really doing them for any reason other than I wanted to incorporate some ST in to my routine and was invited to a challenge by one of my RW (runnersworld) friends where you have to do the number of push ups as there has been days in the year so far. e.g. today would be 164 for the 13th of June but I need to make some up from yesterday because I only got 31 in. Nice work with the swim and 50's where you didn't stop at the end of the pool.

Laura - welcome back. Glad the move went well. I look forward to hearing more about your training and good luck getting the ST in

Johanne - Nice work on the PR

Curt - You do know running is a great way to get some explring done don't you? And if you can find somewhere to rent a bike then you're all set for that too. Not sure on the swim but you may be able to find somewhere to do that too, plus you can do all the other stuff listed in sports to get peachy too

Sara - nice idea on the "own triathlon" thing. Running in heels definitly counts but then I can barely walk in mine, lol. So as far as I'm concerned - yes you do get bonus points for running in them.

Today I'm doing an endurance swim and a 10 min run/walk using my new intervals because I stuffed things up last night and only got 20 mins in rather than the 30 I was meant to get. May be 12:30 but we'll see.

350m swimming with 2 sets of 50 fee and 1 50 medley - freestyle and backstroke.

Then went out later for a 12:30 run and got .64 miles for a 19:31 pace. Finally above walking pace, lol. Intervals are currently 0:30/2:00 and I'm thinking I might stay here for a while because my calves were getting sore towards the end of each interval.  

Edited by suzielea 2011-06-13 5:36 AM
2011-06-13 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3544936

User image

They are most active on Facebook. Erie Tri Club. They do have a site you can google, but it doesn't seem very up to date.

2011-06-13 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

I did just get some info on a ladies ride every Mon. 4 groups of different levels ride for about 2 hours. So that is one problem solved. Hope to meet someone to ride with regularly.

2011-06-13 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3544938

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-12 2:26 PM

Micro Mini Race Report!

16 min PR

More later!

My micro mini report was what I was most excited about!

We got to the park at 5:30, set up, hung around with friends/family, etc. My wave went off at 7:27 so I had plenty of time to relax. The swim was a 2 loop course. I warmed up for the swim and all was good. My last 3 Open Water swims have been great. Today, the first 2/3 of the first loop were bad! I couldn't catch my breath and I was feeling a little panic-y. The conversation in my head was hilarious. I gave myself a good talking to! I finally settled down and the rest of the first loop and the second were much better. T-1 was ok. The bike was great for me today. This was the first race where I was passing people. I knew where I could push and it was very fun. I rode according to my plan and I had a good time. I'm slowly getter faster  My goal for the run was to only walk a few steps at the water tables and run the rest of the way. I did it! I told myself that when I wanted to walk I would just slow my run down. It worked and now I'm excited to do that in training instead of using the walking as a crutch like I have been.

Here are my times:

Swim 1500m-42:16

T-1 3:16

Bike 40K-1:29:30

T-2 2:52

Run 10K-1:02:54

Overall 3:20:48

My daughter and I are off to Arizona this morning to move the rest of her stuff home. Sitting in my truck for 10 1/2 hours should feel good

Johanne 

2011-06-13 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3545664

Extreme Veteran
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-13 7:54 AM

Micro Mini Race Report!

16 min PR

More later!

We got to the park at 5:30, set up, hung around with friends/family, etc. My wave went off at 7:27 so I had plenty of time to relax. The swim was a 2 loop course. I warmed up for the swim and all was good. My last 3 Open Water swims have been great. Today, the first 2/3 of the first loop were bad! I couldn't catch my breath and I was feeling a little panic-y. The conversation in my head was hilarious. I gave myself a good talking to! I finally settled down and the rest of the first loop and the second were much better. T-1 was ok. The bike was great for me today. This was the first race where I was passing people. I knew where I could push and it was very fun. I rode according to my plan and I had a good time. I'm slowly getter faster  My goal for the run was to only walk a few steps at the water tables and run the rest of the way. I did it! I told myself that when I wanted to walk I would just slow my run down. It worked and now I'm excited to do that in training instead of using the walking as a crutch like I have been.

Here are my times:

My daughter and I are off to Arizona this morning to move the rest of her stuff home. Sitting in my truck for 10 1/2 hours should feel good

Johanne 

Yay for passing people and going with your plan. Hope you can continue the run/run slower pattern during your training.

2011-06-13 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-13 7:54 AM

Micro Mini Race Report!

16 min PR

More later!

Here are my times:

Johanne 

Awesome Johanne!!!!

2011-06-13 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hi, all!! Yes I am still alive, but obviously have not been around here much the past week or so. Been very busy with a couple of things. First, I've been studying hard for a professional licensing exam I had to take this AM (Passed!!! Whoo Hoo! ), and secondly, I've developed a muscle issue in my back which is rearing its ugly head at the most inopportune time.

I've done almost nothing tri training wise in nearly a week. I did a swim on Sunday which was OK, but havent run (see back issue) or rode the bike (study time/weather/excuses) in almost a week. And, of course, my first tri of the season is 13 days away. SO....my plan is to get back at it tomorrow, see how it feels, and go from there. I'm still fit enough that I could probably go do the race today, and finishish without much of a problem, but I'm not at the point where I could go all otu and really *race* it. Given the foot issues I've had this spring, the whole idea of racing died long ago, and now its just participating. That will do for now.

Glad to see lots of other activity happening here! Cheers!
2011-06-13 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

It was back to class night for me! Tri training class started again....Tonight we did a swim/run brick. It was about 800-900 meters in the pool (laps and drills), followed by a 1.7 mile run. I did okay swimming, my form has noticeably improved, but my breathing still needs work--coach says I just am not forcing enough air out  during exhale....It certainly feels as though there is none left in there! I dunno, she refers to belly breathing or yoga breathing, but while my mind gets it, my body apparently does not....The run was much better, as I ran at least (prob'ly more) a mile out of the 1.7...considering I haven't really run in about 2 weeks, I'm happily surprised! Especially after a busier than normal workday--usually I work with the reptiles, which doesn't require lots of raking, hosing, etc....but today I was in carnivores, which is ALL raking, hosing, etc. I was sure that I would be half dead!

Tomorrow is my day off, I think I will do a bike ride---nothing too strenuous....then again,I do like to keep going when I am on my bike....

2011-06-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3547170

Extreme Veteran

Mike_D - 2011-06-13 5:56 PM Hi, all!! Yes I am still alive, but obviously have not been around here much the past week or so. Been very busy with a couple of things. First, I've been studying hard for a professional licensing exam I had to take this AM (Passed!!! Whoo Hoo! ), and secondly, I've developed a muscle issue in my back which is rearing its ugly head at the most inopportune time.

I've done almost nothing tri training wise in nearly a week. I did a swim on Sunday which was OK, but havent run (see back issue) or rode the bike (study time/weather/excuses) in almost a week. And, of course, my first tri of the season is 13 days away. SO....my plan is to get back at it tomorrow, see how it feels, and go from there. I'm still fit enough that I could probably go do the race today, and finishish without much of a problem, but I'm not at the point where I could go all otu and really *race* it. Given the foot issues I've had this spring, the whole idea of racing died long ago, and now its just participating. That will do for now.

Hope to see you participating in the race Mike

2011-06-14 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3547662

Extreme Veteran
Kate - Nice work at the class. Is it possible for you to practice the "yoga breathing/belly breathing" on land before or separate from the swimming til your "body gets it"?
2011-06-14 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Suzielea-Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I am going to do. It is probably the only way I can really get a handle on it!
2011-06-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3545470

User image

Master
Dunedin

suzielea - 2011-06-13 1:35 AM 

2 sets of 50 fee and 1 50 medley - freestyle and backstroke.

Then went out later for a 12:30 run and got .64 miles for a 19:31 pace. Finally above walking pace, lol. Intervals are currently 0:30/2:00 and I'm thinking I might stay here for a while because my calves were getting sore towards the end of each interval.  

Nice job! You've probably seen it over and over again-take it easy with the running, but it seems like you're doing fab with that! Smile  Hope you're stretching a lot, too!!!

2011-06-14 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

50andgettingfit - 2011-06-13 8:54 AM

The bike was great for me today. This was the first race where I was passing people. I knew where I could push and it was very fun. I rode according to my plan and I had a good time. I'm slowly getter faster  

Nice Johanne! You may see some people mention "don't drink the kool aid" or "don't eat the paste".  It's the process of avoiding becoming that racer who gets a little crazy/excited on the bike and push too hard because everyone around them is going fast.  Then they flop on the run.  We're so happy for ya! 

2011-06-14 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3547170

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike_D - 2011-06-13 6:56 PM Hi, all!! Yes I am still alive, but obviously have not been around here much the past week or so. Been very busy with a couple of things. First, I've been studying hard for a professional licensing exam I had to take this AM (Passed!!! Whoo Hoo! ), and secondly, I've developed a muscle issue in my back which is rearing its ugly head at the most inopportune time.

Congrats on passing!  I'm looking forward to being in your 'hood this weekend.  Let's hope for cool temps, some cloud cover and a tailwind from Boston to Vermont!

2011-06-14 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3547662

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-06-14 12:34 AM

It was back to class night for me! Tri training class started again....Tonight we did a swim/run brick. It was about 800-900 meters in the pool (laps and drills), followed by a 1.7 mile run. I did okay swimming, my form has noticeably improved, but my breathing still needs work--coach says I just am not forcing enough air out  during exhale....It certainly feels as though there is none left in there! I dunno, she refers to belly breathing or yoga breathing, but while my mind gets it, my body apparently does not....The run was much better, as I ran at least (prob'ly more) a mile out of the 1.7...considering I haven't really run in about 2 weeks, I'm happily surprised! Especially after a busier than normal workday--usually I work with the reptiles, which doesn't require lots of raking, hosing, etc....but today I was in carnivores, which is ALL raking, hosing, etc. I was sure that I would be half dead!

Tomorrow is my day off, I think I will do a bike ride---nothing too strenuous....then again,I do like to keep going when I am on my bike....

I had to giggle when you talked about working with the carnivores.  I just can't fathom working in a zoo-I was even a docent for a little while!  Just don't get eaten by something, Kate!

I was thinking about the advice you were given to breathe deeper, into your belly.  It makes sense because you'll get more volume of air into your body and a bonus is that you'll float a little more, too.  The downside is that it seems to take a smidge longer to breathe.  Have you tried swimming so just your chest expands?  That way, you can suck in your abdominal muscles which should make it easier for your body to roll side to side and easier to kick from the hips.

Let me know what you think about that!

2011-06-14 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3549001

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-14 3:09 PM

Mike_D - 2011-06-13 6:56 PM Hi, all!! Yes I am still alive, but obviously have not been around here much the past week or so. Been very busy with a couple of things. First, I've been studying hard for a professional licensing exam I had to take this AM (Passed!!! Whoo Hoo! ), and secondly, I've developed a muscle issue in my back which is rearing its ugly head at the most inopportune time.

Congrats on passing!  I'm looking forward to being in your 'hood this weekend.  Let's hope for cool temps, some cloud cover and a tailwind from Boston to Vermont!

What time do you leave for the ride? Are you coming to town on Friday? Good luck!

2011-06-14 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3548934

Extreme Veteran

Sara - I am taking it easy - or trying to - with the running that's why the "tryout" runs are shorter than the actual plan runs. I figure if I can do those intervals during tryouts then I should be ok during the normal ones and I am - or at least no worse going on today's and MOnday's experiences.  I'm trying to do more stretching but I need to get used to the ones I need to be doing - I'm thinking I may "favorite" the video on here that has stretches for swimming, biking and running although I'm not really doing anything about the bike right now - I've sort of given up on the idea of doing a tri this year because of how much I suck at the biking, lol. May look for some of those "splash dash" races though.

Also just got back from my first official day of week 3 of the agressive c25k using the same intervals I used on Monday's "tryout run" and got 1.53 miles which is only 4 secs slower on pace than I got monday which isn't bad for going 2.5 times the distance. I think I've finally broken the "I could have walked faster" cap, lol.

Edited by suzielea 2011-06-14 7:37 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72