BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2013-01-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4577434

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED
kidtri33 - 2013-01-14 10:54 AM

Hey everyone! Seems everyone had a good weekend. Those that are still healing hope you geel better soon.

Busy weekend for me. Went down to NC to see the in-laws and Grand parents who came down from Michigan. Got in a 2hr z1/z2 brick on the new saddle. Sunday was a rest day and today I had 1hr zr ride with one-legged-pedaling (OLP). Very interesting to feel how unsmooth your pedaling is. Just need to setup a refit now based on the new saddle. I was a little uncomfortable during the rides this weekend but felt a little better today.

Jen, congrats on the new trainer! I am jealous! Did you get a good deal?

What's the new saddle?

2013-01-14 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4542521

User image

Expert

No training yesterday for me.  Yesterday my non profit group sponsored and hosted a youth footbal clinic for 130 kids, with local high school coaches and players helping out.  It was held indoors.  My group was responsible for fitness and nutrition (that's a big part of my non profit). We put together a football related obstacle course.  I'll say this, it was tough. I think the 5-7 year olds went though it 4-5 each.  the 11-15 year olds went through it twice, and were spent.  Those little guys have so much energy.

Hit the gym this afternoon for some circuits. Pretty sure I'll be hopping in the pool on Wednesday night for the first time in over 6 months.  I may drown.

2013-01-14 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4577590

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-14 12:53 PM
kidtri33 - 2013-01-14 10:54 AM

Hey everyone! Seems everyone had a good weekend. Those that are still healing hope you geel better soon.

Busy weekend for me. Went down to NC to see the in-laws and Grand parents who came down from Michigan. Got in a 2hr z1/z2 brick on the new saddle. Sunday was a rest day and today I had 1hr zr ride with one-legged-pedaling (OLP). Very interesting to feel how unsmooth your pedaling is. Just need to setup a refit now based on the new saddle. I was a little uncomfortable during the rides this weekend but felt a little better today.

Jen, congrats on the new trainer! I am jealous! Did you get a good deal?

What's the new saddle?

I got the Adamo Racing2. It is A LOT better! Of course anything is probably more comfortable than a stock saddle.

2013-01-14 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4577808

User image

Pro
CyFair
rizer22 - 2013-01-14 1:25 PM

No training yesterday for me.  Yesterday my non profit group sponsored and hosted a youth footbal clinic for 130 kids, with local high school coaches and players helping out.  It was held indoors.  My group was responsible for fitness and nutrition (that's a big part of my non profit). We put together a football related obstacle course.  I'll say this, it was tough. I think the 5-7 year olds went though it 4-5 each.  the 11-15 year olds went through it twice, and were spent.  Those little guys have so much energy.

Hit the gym this afternoon for some circuits. Pretty sure I'll be hopping in the pool on Wednesday night for the first time in over 6 months.  I may drown.

Steal some floaties

2013-01-14 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4577906

User image

New user

Edited by mp0206 2013-01-14 2:08 PM
2013-01-14 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4577553

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-14 11:39 AM
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-13 5:26 PM
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-13 3:02 PM
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-12 9:28 PM
kort-kort - 2013-01-12 6:21 PM
Kuma - 2013-01-12 11:53 AM

ccmpsyd - 2013-01-12 11:31 AM Thanks all for the supprt and well wishes. I'm pretty pleased. I got jammed up at the first mile and did it in 9:24. It was a tight squeeze in lots of spots. Kelly gave some great advice about nutrition which i ised to the T. Felt fine and booked it the last 2 or 3. Feel great now. Heading off to do some rides.

Now that's a dedicated triathlete, folks.  Does a hard half-marathon in the morning and then heads off to put in some training miles on the bike in the afternoon.  Color me impressed!  

Tongue out Congrats, Chris - sounds like a great time.  Enjoy visiting the mouse!

haha, that's what I was thinking too! Very impressive. Great job Chris! 

I went for a run outside today and did some strength training at the gym. The temperature's already dropping here. 50 degrees was nice while it lasted. 

That is impressive! Only in my dreams!

You can totally do a HM.  I think its a fantastic race distance (and a really good goal).

My problem is training properly. Sprints are doable for me. They've added an Oly in my area that I'm considering so may attempt that before tackling a HIM. It's a possible goal of course, but not if I can't get in the proper training...

You can totally do it. Get a plan. Stick with it. No problem. The difference between this year and last was amazing.

Thanks, guys!  I know there are lots of training plans out there.  But my problem is the time to do the proper training.  If I don't have the time to train properly, I am not doing a HIM.  I work part-time, help run our Taekwondo & Fitness studio, and teach fitness classes 4x a week on top of being a wife and mother and all that entails.  The problem is I live in a rural area.  The only indoor pool close to me that is a reasonable cost is 45 minutes away and they are only open M-F with specific times for lap swim.  Running I can do anytime and it's the one thing I do the most.  Bike is where I really need the time...I know, get a trainer.

2013-01-14 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4578147

User image

Veteran
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-14 3:44 PM

ccmpsyd - 2013-01-12 11:31 AM Thanks all for the supprt and well wishes. I'm pretty pleased. I got jammed up at the first mile and did it in 9:24. It was a tight squeeze in lots of spots. Kelly gave some great advice about nutrition which i ised to the T. Felt fine and booked it the last 2 or 3. Feel great now. Heading off to do some rides.

Now that's a dedicated triathlete, folks.  Does a hard half-marathon in the morning and then heads off to put in some training miles on the bike in the afternoon.  Color me impressed!  

Tongue out Congrats, Chris - sounds like a great time.  Enjoy visiting the mouse!

I went for a run outside today and did some strength training at the gym. The temperature's already dropping here. 50 degrees was nice while it lasted. 

You can totally do a HM.  I think its a fantastic race distance (and a really good goal).

My problem is training properly. Sprints are doable for me. They've added an Oly in my area that I'm considering so may attempt that before tackling a HIM. It's a possible goal of course, but not if I can't get in the proper training...

You can totally do it. Get a plan. Stick with it. No problem. The difference between this year and last was amazing.

Thanks, guys!  I know there are lots of training plans out there.  But my problem is the time to do the proper training.  If I don't have the time to train properly, I am not doing a HIM.  I work part-time, help run our Taekwondo & Fitness studio, and teach fitness classes 4x a week on top of being a wife and mother and all that entails.  The problem is I live in a rural area.  The only indoor pool close to me that is a reasonable cost is 45 minutes away and they are only open M-F with specific times for lap swim.  Running I can do anytime and it's the one thing I do the most.  Bike is where I really need the time...I know, get a trainer.

Take the following with this caveat in mind - I haven't done a HIM or let alone a tri yet - but if you really want to do a HIM, figure out what it would require. This may then require a conversation with the family in which you state what you would like to do and ask for assistance in helping achieve this goal. It may require creative thinking to find ways to get you to the pool to do swims. But it could be a team effort that gets everybody on board and invested in your training. The runs you can do in the dark and the rides you can do earlier in the morning.

2013-01-14 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4578192

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-14 4:06 PM

Take the following with this caveat in mind - I haven't done a HIM or let alone a tri yet - but if you really want to do a HIM, figure out what it would require. This may then require a conversation with the family in which you state what you would like to do and ask for assistance in helping achieve this goal. It may require creative thinking to find ways to get you to the pool to do swims. But it could be a team effort that gets everybody on board and invested in your training. The runs you can do in the dark and the rides you can do earlier in the morning.

You are sweet! Smile My family wouldn't have any problem with it.  My husband works long hours anyway.  He is supportive whatever I do.  I go to bed late (because I don't get home til 9:00 from teaching) which makes it hard to get up early.  I know - sounds like excuses.  I've done three sprints and loved them - well, the first one was tough because it had a 24 m. bike ride.  But it took me a long time to wrap my mind around a half marathon.  I'd been running for 7 years.  Last year was my first year to take the plunge and I did 2.  Maybe I'm scared to do a HIM.  If I can do the OLY in April that is in my area, I may think of doing a HIM later in the year. but I've got to be able to put in the training.  I've printed off plans before, but somehow I've got to take that information and fit it into my schedule.  What is the least amount of training I can put in (in each discpline) in order to do a HIM?

2013-01-14 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4578233

User image

Veteran
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-14 4:20 PM

You are sweet! Smile My family wouldn't have any problem with it.  My husband works long hours anyway.  He is supportive whatever I do.  I go to bed late (because I don't get home til 9:00 from teaching) which makes it hard to get up early.  I know - sounds like excuses.  I've done three sprints and loved them - well, the first one was tough because it had a 24 m. bike ride.  But it took me a long time to wrap my mind around a half marathon.  I'd been running for 7 years.  Last year was my first year to take the plunge and I did 2.  Maybe I'm scared to do a HIM.  If I can do the OLY in April that is in my area, I may think of doing a HIM later in the year. but I've got to be able to put in the training.  I've printed off plans before, but somehow I've got to take that information and fit it into my schedule.  What is the least amount of training I can put in (in each discpline) in order to do a HIM?

Um...I have never done a tri and signed up for a HIM and invited my parents to fly up and watch. Sign up for one, and then train. Don't wait for the right time, there may never be one.

As for the least amount of time required to train, I will defer to the seasoned pros and coaches.

2013-01-14 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4578285

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Thanks! I know. It's just that I don't want training to become my life. I know if I committed to one I'd do it and finish because that's just me. I did my first 50 mike bike ride last year, too. But I can really only swim one day a week until end of April/May. And a half marathon is hard enough! I need to know that I'll be prepared enough so I won't hate it.
2013-01-14 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4578233

User image

Pro
CyFair
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-14 4:20 PM

If you do it smartly 9-12 hours at the peak weeks.  You'd end up playing with intensity vs. distance.  IMO if you went on the lower end of that you'd have to be a really resilient athlete.  That's if you want to do it right.  I've seen people go at it with about 6-8 hours a week and they were in a lot of pain on the run.

2013-01-14 6:17 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
As sort of a general response -- I think we're all capable of a lot more than we may initially thinking.  By Training smart and making good decisions, I think almost everyone is capable of a HIM. 
2013-01-14 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4578427

User image

Pro
CyFair

kaburns1214 - 2013-01-14 6:17 PM As sort of a general response -- I think we're all capable of a lot more than we may initially thinking.  By Training smart and making good decisions, I think almost everyone is capable of a HIM. 

I'd agree with this.  If you train smart and race smart (ie not like me) you should be able to put up a respectable HIM time.

2013-01-14 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4577424

User image

Regular
uhcoog - 2013-01-14 11:51 AM

jarvy01 - 2013-01-13 1:39 PM Do you all do recovery drinks/concoctions after hard or long training sessions?  If so, what do you consume?  

Oats (3/4 c usually, more if needed) + protein powder + almond milk.  I add berries if on sale from the grocery store. 

After long rides I drink chocolate (whole) milk or coconut water. I have tried some of the mixes, but I think I like these better. I haven't ever tried them after swimming or running because, um, well, I can't run or swim long enough to need them yet.
2013-01-14 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4578427

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-14 6:17 PMAs sort of a general response -- I think we're all capable of a lot more than we may initially thinking.  By Training smart and making good decisions, I think almost everyone is capable of a HIM. 
What exactly do you mean by training smart and making goods decisions?
2013-01-15 5:21 AM
in reply to: #4578728

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-14 10:49 PM
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-14 6:17 PMAs sort of a general response -- I think we're all capable of a lot more than we may initially thinking.  By Training smart and making good decisions, I think almost everyone is capable of a HIM. 

Train in such a way to address your limiters and maintain your strengths (this is different for every person).  We tend to like to train out strengths because we like what we're good at.  Also its important to understand how things work together.  Someone who runs (relatively) poorly off of the bike may think they should run more but if you take a closer look its often that they don't have enough bike endurance or poorly execute the bike, which leads to a poor run.

Like most things, its tough to make objective decisions about yourself, which can lead to (sometimes) purposeless training.  If all the training you do has a purpose, you don't have to expend really large amounts of time to have a solid finish (now working to get to the top of your AG at a large race is a different story).

2013-01-15 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Goood morning! Had a nice z1 run today. Posted a better time than normal so it was nice to see some improvement with the heart rate training.

On another note the family has really jumped on the eating healthier. It makes it a lot easier to eat healthy when they are too.

2013-01-15 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4578850

User image

Pro
CyFair
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-15 5:21 AM

luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-14 10:49 PM

Train in such a way to address your limiters and maintain your strengths (this is different for every person).  We tend to like to train out strengths because we like what we're good at.  Also its important to understand how things work together.  Someone who runs (relatively) poorly off of the bike may think they should run more but if you take a closer look its often that they don't have enough bike endurance or poorly execute the bike, which leads to a poor run.

Like most things, its tough to make objective decisions about yourself, which can lead to (sometimes) purposeless training.  If all the training you do has a purpose, you don't have to expend really large amounts of time to have a solid finish (now working to get to the top of your AG at a large race is a different story).

Amen

2013-01-15 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4578920

User image

Pro
CyFair
kidtri33 - 2013-01-15 7:22 AM

Goood morning! Had a nice z1 run today. Posted a better time than normal so it was nice to see some improvement with the heart rate training.

On another note the family has really jumped on the eating healthier. It makes it a lot easier to eat healthy when they are too.

Awesome on both accounts.  Yet another reason I can't wait for this baby to get here.  I SOOOO need to get a handle on the junk food brought into my house.

2013-01-15 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4579001

User image

Extreme Veteran
uhcoog - 2013-01-15 9:15 AM

Awesome on both accounts.  Yet another reason I can't wait for this baby to get here.  I SOOOO need to get a handle on the junk food brought into my house.

When is your wife due?

2013-01-15 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Easy ZR ride this morning with some OLP thrown in there.  Yesterday was the first day in 2 weeks that I actually felt human and had the energy to complete life's most basic tasks.  

I'm still eating sugar-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free, and I'm feeling great.  My GI doctor told me to remain on the gluten-free diet.  My taste buds have officially been reset.  I had a bowl of frozen grapes last night, and they tasted almost too sweet.  Crazy, I know.  

2013-01-15 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
1 hr 20 min ZR ride this morning.  No leg pain and no swelling.  A sign of recovery.  Whooo hoooo.  I see ortho next wednesday.  Lets see what he says about running.  Can't wait to try out my Kinvara 3's (Orange and Yellow) I just got in the other day from Amazon.  They are so light.
2013-01-15 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4579008

User image

Pro
CyFair
jarvy01 - 2013-01-15 8:20 AM

When is your wife due?

March 10th.  She's to the point of swearing this is the last time.  LOL. 

2013-01-15 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Boom.  Just sold our 6 year old, lightly used because Cindy hated it, Bowflex for $400.  Now on to 2 sets of crib bedding, an old cell phone, my road bike, and clip on aerobars.
2013-01-15 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4579055

User image

Extreme Veteran
uhcoog - 2013-01-15 9:42 AM
jarvy01 - 2013-01-15 8:20 AM

When is your wife due?

March 10th.  She's to the point of swearing this is the last time.  LOL. 

I bet  Just wait until you're both sleep deprived with 3.  Good times.  Good times.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122