BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-06-23 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Great result from Jason. I'm so impressed with that run time! I'd be over the moon with that for a standalone HM! Now where's that race report? ;-)

Melissa looks like she's hanging in there for the run. She's into the bit where it gets HARD now. Go Melissa! Sending positive vibes!

I've got another friend doing IMCDA today, and I'm at work so I've got multiple pages of Ironmanlive open on my phone. Also just noticed FredD (who was a previous mentor on here) finished Mont Tremblant in a similar time to Jason. It's all going on today! Definitely getting me fired up for 2 week's time when its my turn...

2013-06-23 12:31 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jason-sub 1:30 HIM run split.......that is impressive! Hope he is pleased with the race.
2013-06-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Thanks for following along.

It was a great race. Certainly the hardest HIM course I have been on. I wanted to be faster but I am overall satisfied. I was glad to finish with a strong run. The swim and bike........ Still a work in progress. I swear the bike and the run each have about 1/10 of the course as flat. The rest is either climbing or descending. Got over 50 MPH on one descent

I actually met up with Fred D and some other BT folks yesterday. A very nice guy in person. Personality is just about exactly the same as you get on BT.

I am in the land of roaming charges and $$$$$ data so the race report will have to wait. I'll get to it, promise.

I hope everyone else s having a great weekend.
2013-06-23 12:59 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Thanks for following along.

It was a great race. Certainly the hardest HIM course I have been on. I wanted to be faster but I am overall satisfied. I was glad to finish with a strong run. The swim and bike........ Still a work in progress. I swear the bike and the run each have about 1/10 of the course as flat. The rest is either climbing or descending. Got over 50 MPH on one descent

I actually met up with Fred D and some other BT folks yesterday. A very nice guy in person. Personality is just about exactly the same as you get on BT.

I am in the land of roaming charges and $$$$$ data so the race report will have to wait. I'll get to it, promise.

I hope everyone else s having a great weekend.
2013-06-23 2:13 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Hiya,
I'm not sure yet how I feel about today's race (I'm delighted with the swim but pretty annoyed about most of the rest). Ended up with time slower than my first tri almost two months ago...
Anyway, race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
2013-06-23 3:12 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by tatous

Hiya,
I'm not sure yet how I feel about today's race (I'm delighted with the swim but pretty annoyed about most of the rest). Ended up with time slower than my first tri almost two months ago...
Anyway, race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

I give you great props for trudging through the weather conditions. You most certainly CANNOT beat yourself up for having a slower time than your last tri considering that you did this one in a deluge. Many people would have turned the car around, gone home and gone back to bed. You didn't...you'll be stronger at the next tri because of it.

2013-06-23 3:37 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Tay-big points for pushing through in such miserable conditions. Can't imagine going down the hills in the rain......scary. The more you race the more experience you gain. Sounds like you did well...don't worry about your time. I suspect the conditions kept everyone moving slower.

Looks like Melissa finished in 14:22. Thats fantastic on a tough course. Really nice job. Congrats!

2013-06-23 4:54 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by tatous Hiya, I'm not sure yet how I feel about today's race (I'm delighted with the swim but pretty annoyed about most of the rest). Ended up with time slower than my first tri almost two months ago... Anyway, race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Tay -- well done!  I can't imagine racing in the middle of a downpour.  I get antsy when I feel the first few drops!  Takes a lot of mental toughness which is just as important as the physical training.

Scott.

2013-06-23 4:55 PM

User image

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by slornow

Looks like Melissa finished in 14:22. Thats fantastic on a tough course. Really nice job. Congrats!

Congratulations, IronDoc!

2013-06-23 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4784748

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Congratulations Melissa! Great job. That's a really tough race by all accounts and it looks like you finished strong. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Tay - I haven't had chance to read your race report yet (been stuck at work late) but if you've had weather like we have today and raced in it then you deserve all the admiration we can give! Don't worry too much about comparing times between races. Courses and conditions vary so much you really can't judge it that way. I generally look at where I am in the field (overall and AG), as well as pacing and how hard I felt I had to work compared to other races. Just keep working at it!
2013-06-23 9:37 PM

User image

New user
Jason and Tatous, congrats on your races. You both did really well, we have some great racers. It is nice to see this training in action!

3 mile jog today, spent the rest of the day at home which was very nice.

2013-06-23 10:51 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Calgary, AB

Just had a great 30km ride.  However I did learn something....

Torrential rains --> floods --> many standing pools of water --> tons of bugs --> love to fly into cyclists' mouths!

2013-06-24 5:30 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Scott - hope you and your family stay safe! And remember to ride with YOUR MOUTH CLOSED LOL!

Nancy - way to go on the first tri!!! I love to ride with my gloves too - but I skip it during the tri. You'll get used to it

Jason - Congrats. You did great yesterday- way to represent!

Melissa - I'm in awe! Nice job on the IM! IRONDOC!!

Tat - your tri sounded like a nightmare. So sorry. BUT YOU DID IT!! And that's really all that matters.

I did the BAA 10K yesterday. Officially it was my first and today I feel like I've been run over by a truck I'm limping a bit as my shin and calf are sore. I think I can't squeeze in enough rest days for it to heal. It's going to be a long summer :/ I may take tomorrow off from my weekly tri and give it until next week.

Have a good day all.
2013-06-24 1:04 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-good job on the run. Sounds like some rest is in order.

Have not heard from Dave...he had an olympic over the weekend. Hope everything went well.

Busy week of work for me plus the computer at my desk died and I'm waiting for a new one to come in and get installed. UGH! Got a swim in at lunch and thats it for training for today. Tomorrow is a long day on the road with a challenging bike workout tomorrow night. 

2013-06-24 5:46 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Some fine performances put in by the group this weekend. Good job to all! I am humbled by the quality of athletes I'm associated with on this forum.

Finished my first Olympic race. I had two flats on the bike section after starting off fairly well. I learned alot from it all but it left me with some disappointment. Still, on reflection, I had a good time just knowing I can participate in activities like this. I'm looking for another Olympic distance race somewhere close to give it another try. I also need to shift gears somewhat, since my second major goal for this year was to run a marathon this fall.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-06-24 5:55 PM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by dacuna01

Some fine performances put in by the group this weekend. Good job to all! I am humbled by the quality of athletes I'm associated with on this forum.

Finished my first Olympic race. I had two flats on the bike section after starting off fairly well. I learned alot from it all but it left me with some disappointment. Still, on reflection, I had a good time just knowing I can participate in activities like this. I'm looking for another Olympic distance race somewhere close to give it another try. I also need to shift gears somewhat, since my second major goal for this year was to run a marathon this fall.

You said your first real outdoor tri AND it was an Oly distance? NICE JOB. My swim coach reminds me of things that happen that are beyond our control - in my case I dropped my chain twice. These are the things we can't do anything about except push on - and you did. And you did great

Congrats.

2013-06-24 7:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama
Dave-great job finishing. I'm afraid I would have bailed when I had the 2nd flat. Sounds like things were going well otherwise. Hope you can find another race, olympic or sprint, to get in this season.
2013-06-24 8:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Dave. Way to stick with it. I'm with Randy on this one. Persevering through the second flat is strong work.

Tay. Sounds like you had really tough race conditions. Don't be disappointed. You did great.

Melissa. Hope you had a great time and are happy. Great job!

Randee. 10ks are hard! Give yourself a little healing time.

I am still in Canada. We are in a little boutique hotel in Old Montreal. It is a neat city. I feel good enough that we were able to walk around and sight see. Had a fantastic dinner, and because we are walking, not driving, I consumed a couple extra cocktails. All in all things are good, although I am ready to be back home

I will get to the race report tomorrow when I have an actual keyboard. Lots of mistakes and snafus. You would think it had been seven plus months since my last Tri or something......

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-06-24 8:29 PM
2013-06-24 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Dave - well done for getting through the race despite the challenges. It's all a learning process, and as long as you learn from the experience, you've achieved something!

I've got an email from the race organisers for Outlaw with my race number (143) and the final details. I've been reading through the competitor info and I'm starting to get quite nervous. I'm really looking forward to the race, but after so much training there's a lot of pressure the get the execution right. It doesn't help that my husband keeps saying things like "after all the training you've done, you'd BETTER be faster than last year"! It's a different course, with different challenges, so there's no guarantee of anything. I have targets and "ideal" goals, but at this distance, goal #1 is still just to finish, and if that's all I manage I'll be happy.

Just wanted to share that with the group as it's 2.30am and I can't sleep (apparently after 3 weeks off work I've already forgotten how to adjust between shifts!).
2013-06-25 9:59 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Congrats to everyone on a great weekend of racing, especially to those who pushed through some tough conditions and bad luck. Tried to swim last night but for some reason the pool was packed there was 12 swimmers in 3 lanes, unfortunatly 6 of them were more interested in socializing rather than swimming. I wish they all would have just shared a lane, but thats what you get, on a positive note since it was so busy I only worked on bilateral breathing and think I had a break through along with almost getting flip turns down. I'm on the road for the next 6 days so lets hope I can get some work outs in.
2013-06-25 12:54 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'm finding out how I appreciate the tri community that I have here in Augusta, GA. Also realizing how much I appreciate the tri club for hosting the training and events that they do. In fact, Coach "Slayer" of Tri Coach Georgia is hosting an Augusta HIM 'camp' in July and opened it up for FREE to members of the tri group. Harvey/Slayer scares me a little (his team kits are pretty heavy metal!), but I'm sure I'll learn a ton.

2013-06-25 3:10 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs

I'm finding out how I appreciate the tri community that I have here in Augusta, GA. Also realizing how much I appreciate the tri club for hosting the training and events that they do.

Thanks everyone for being so positive and supportive. I'm actually starting to REALLY like this tri crowd as well. I don't know why but I had this image of people being very snobby but what I'm finding is that I actually prefer triathletes much better than pure runners I stayed after my tri on Sunday to have food and watch the prize giving and got talking to a few 'proper real life' triathletes, well worth it. Just like this group!
I think it's because with 3 disciplines everyone is likely to be less than amazing in at least one of them, which must give people a certain level of humbleness. All the triathletes I've met so far (fop or mop) have been absolutely supportive and helpful (I had very negative experiences with runners who were very 'particular' about how fast you would have to be before being 'allowed' to run a marathon... or what was the slowest pace before you were a 'real' runner...)
2013-06-25 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

I'm finding out how I appreciate the tri community that I have here in Augusta, GA. Also realizing how much I appreciate the tri club for hosting the training and events that they do.

Thanks everyone for being so positive and supportive. I'm actually starting to REALLY like this tri crowd as well. I don't know why but I had this image of people being very snobby but what I'm finding is that I actually prefer triathletes much better than pure runners I stayed after my tri on Sunday to have food and watch the prize giving and got talking to a few 'proper real life' triathletes, well worth it. Just like this group!
I think it's because with 3 disciplines everyone is likely to be less than amazing in at least one of them, which must give people a certain level of humbleness. All the triathletes I've met so far (fop or mop) have been absolutely supportive and helpful (I had very negative experiences with runners who were very 'particular' about how fast you would have to be before being 'allowed' to run a marathon... or what was the slowest pace before you were a 'real' runner...)

That's one of the things that got me hooked on triathlon. Everyone, both in the club and at races, was so friendly and welcoming, even when I was completely new and a little terrified. There was no snobbery from anyone. I think you're probably right that it's difficult for anyone to be great at all 3 sports, and so there is more understanding of people who are new/working on improving.

There was more snobbery at IM last year, or at least plenty of posturing, but I think in a lot of cases that came from pre-race nerves. Even with people who have raced at that distance multiple times there seems to be a certain amount of stress involved!
2013-06-25 5:43 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Whenever I go to a triathlon I smile at everyone and try to be the friendliest, nicest person I can be. It seems like 99% of the competitors are the same way. Yes, there are a few who are just too darn serious but that is true in almost everything. It is nice to remember that we are doing this for fun.

Race report:

Nothing earth-shattering. I now have some stuff to work on.
2013-06-25 6:58 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

This is so true! When I was working on my bike, every person that passed me gave me encouragement. Afterwards, people I didn't know asked me how I was doing and inquired as to whether I had any injuries associated with the flat. What a great bunch of people. For my wife and one of my son's, this was their first triathlon experience, and they were also impressed with the quality of the people and the organizers. My son (he's 13 years old) is now asking to go bike riding with me but he's a little imtimidated by the whole tri race thing right now. I reminded him that there was a 14 year old who qualified for nationals during that race. I don't think that helped.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88