BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Ghoulie Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2010-05-05 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2838546

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: The Ghoulie Mentor Group - Full
onevette80 - 2010-05-05 12:11 PM

Do you guys ever feel burnt out?   My ultimate goal is an IM, but my wife is already hinting that im spending too much time training.  This, on top of the fact that Im lazy is really making me bumed/burned out!  You guys ever get to this place?

And I havent even really begun to train......

Interesting to read everyone's comments. I really wish my DH would join me for some training time - but ain't happening, and he's OK with it all. I definitely get burnt out - bored, actually. I try to take it a day or week at a time, and if I've been working out really hard, I give myself permission to skip things, like a Tuesday night swim...often the guilt of skipping it pushes me harder the next day. The scale's a huge motivator, too, with the last 10 pounds clinging desperately to me, and I really like to eat. Training with nice people helps me, too. For a while, I did a few classes a week - that scheduled commitment was good. I'm trying to hook up with group rides & swims as often as I can - the social piece makes it more fun. I also have to wonder if more regular days off would be more helpful, too, in preventing - or mitigating - burn out.... I try to rotate what I do a lot, though, to avoid over-training, but sometimes need the veg time more..... I also try to keep my goals smallish so that they're more easily attainable & less daunting, and that helps keep the laziness at bay; that is, easier to get off my butt when the goal I've set for a given day (not to mention my first races) don't seem as intimidating.

HTH

2010-05-05 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2770589

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I will not be around tomorrow. I have to leave at the crack of stupid to go teach a class all day. Then go to Charlotte to help my friend celebrate her graduation from Nursing School. Then drive home for work at 7:00 on Friday. Looks like no training tomorrow so I better not slack off on my ride tonight, eh?

Have wonderful days all.
2010-05-05 6:51 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Hey everyone.  Just got back from the chiropractor and my back is sore, plus I'm starving.  Fell sound asleep at the chiropractor.  He put heat on my back for a while.  I woke up after I had been drooling for a while :-).  Got home and the wife made spaghetti so I'm pigging out and skipping my swim. 

2010-05-05 6:56 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
onevette80 - 2010-05-05 11:11 AM

Do you guys ever feel burnt out?   My ultimate goal is an IM, but my wife is already hinting that im spending too much time training.  This, on top of the fact that Im lazy is really making me bumed/burned out!  You guys ever get to this place?

Yep.  Sometimes I get burnt out. When I do, I take a few days off.  It is supposed to be fun after all.

My wife makes comments some times and I take the hint and take her out to dinner or a movie.  I also try to go to lunch with her every Saturday or Sunday.  I surprised her with flowers the other day.  She thought I must have done something wrong :-)
2010-05-05 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2839545

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
ceilidh - 2010-05-05 4:41 PM I will not be around tomorrow. I have to leave at the crack of stupid to go teach a class all day. Then go to Charlotte to help my friend celebrate her graduation from Nursing School. Then drive home for work at 7:00 on Friday. Looks like no training tomorrow so I better not slack off on my ride tonight, eh?

Have wonderful days all.

Charlotte NC? My hometown! Enjoy a Cheerwine for me...
2010-05-05 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Any opinions about good WSD bike saddles, and/or breaking in a new one? Had the standard trek saddle that came with my bike, but was desperate to cut a hole out of the center to relieve the pressure there. Opted for new saddle instead - Terry Butterfly. Feels more padded in the back - like someone's fists are trying to punch up through the seat, which isn't a good thing (thought the padding / contour of the back of the old saddle was just fine), and was wishing the cutout was maybe a half inch wider on either side.... Just sat on it for about 90 minutes during soccer practice tonight, wondering how long it might take to break it in or if first impressions should count.

Would welcome the usual advice, pearls of wisdom whatever.....

thanks!
Marla

2010-05-05 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2840265

User image

Master
St. Louis
MarlaS - 2010-05-05 9:59 PM Any opinions about good WSD bike saddles, and/or breaking in a new one? Had the standard trek saddle that came with my bike, but was desperate to cut a hole out of the center to relieve the pressure there. Opted for new saddle instead - Terry Butterfly. Feels more padded in the back - like someone's fists are trying to punch up through the seat, which isn't a good thing (thought the padding / contour of the back of the old saddle was just fine), and was wishing the cutout was maybe a half inch wider on either side.... Just sat on it for about 90 minutes during soccer practice tonight, wondering how long it might take to break it in or if first impressions should count.

thanks!
Marla

I would give it a couple weeks.  I switched to an Adamo saddle after I had serious problems with my stock saddle. My new saddle put pressure on a different part of my butt (instead of where it really hurts).  Once you build up tolerance in the new area, you should be fine.  If you do check out the Adamo, go to bikeisland.com.  I got my Adamo road for $90 there, they are $140 just about everywhere else.  They have a pretty wide cut out but the nose is short so I don't have any inside leg chaffing issues.
2010-05-05 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2840286

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
ransick - 2010-05-05 11:20 PM
MarlaS - 2010-05-05 9:59 PM Any opinions about good WSD bike saddles, and/or breaking in a new one? Had the standard trek saddle that came with my bike, but was desperate to cut a hole out of the center to relieve the pressure there. Opted for new saddle instead - Terry Butterfly. Feels more padded in the back - like someone's fists are trying to punch up through the seat, which isn't a good thing (thought the padding / contour of the back of the old saddle was just fine), and was wishing the cutout was maybe a half inch wider on either side.... Just sat on it for about 90 minutes during soccer practice tonight, wondering how long it might take to break it in or if first impressions should count.

thanks!
Marla

I would give it a couple weeks.  I switched to an Adamo saddle after I had serious problems with my stock saddle. My new saddle put pressure on a different part of my butt (instead of where it really hurts).  Once you build up tolerance in the new area, you should be fine.  If you do check out the Adamo, go to bikeisland.com.  I got my Adamo road for $90 there, they are $140 just about everywhere else.  They have a pretty wide cut out but the nose is short so I don't have any inside leg chaffing issues.

thanks. Even if it's the same pain in the same place, give it that long? I figured I'd probably need more time to get used to the padding in the back, but the other - original - pain/pressure is the same.
2010-05-05 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2840292

User image

Master
St. Louis
MarlaS - 2010-05-05 10:23 PM

thanks!
Marla

thanks. Even if it's the same pain in the same place, give it that long? I figured I'd probably need more time to get used to the padding in the back, but the other - original - pain/pressure is the same.

Sry, missed the same "pain in the same place" part.  I would switch seats, pain in the problem area should cease immediately.  It might take several saddles before you find YOUR seat.   
2010-05-06 5:54 AM
in reply to: #2840286

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd

thanks!
Marla

I tried out 4 other saddles before I got an Adamo. Other saddles, even with the small cutouts, put too much pressure on my girl bits. I love my Adamo. It is a bit wider, but I haven't had any problems.
2010-05-06 5:56 AM
in reply to: #2839398

User image

Champion
MarlaS - 2010-05-05 3:59 PM

Interesting to read everyone's comments. I really wish my DH would join me for some training time - but ain't happening, and he's OK with it all. I definitely get burnt out - bored, actually. I try to take it a day or week at a time, and if I've been working out really hard, I give myself permission to skip things, like a Tuesday night swim...often the guilt of skipping it pushes me harder the next day. The scale's a huge motivator, too, with the last 10 pounds clinging desperately to me, and I really like to eat. Training with nice people helps me, too. For a while, I did a few classes a week - that scheduled commitment was good. I'm trying to hook up with group rides & swims as often as I can - the social piece makes it more fun. I also have to wonder if more regular days off would be more helpful, too, in preventing - or mitigating - burn out.... I try to rotate what I do a lot, though, to avoid over-training, but sometimes need the veg time more..... I also try to keep my goals smallish so that they're more easily attainable & less daunting, and that helps keep the laziness at bay; that is, easier to get off my butt when the goal I've set for a given day (not to mention my first races) don't seem as intimidating.

HTH

You can't motivate someone to do something they don't want to do. Keep on keeping on yourself and maybe eventually he'll join you.
This IS supposed to be fun! Step back, relax, and enjoy yourself. If you're pushing too hard, or doing too much too fast you could easily burn out. Better to take it slow and stick with it, than to go full force until you burn out and quit.

2010-05-06 7:17 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-06 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2840563

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
wgraves7582 - 2010-05-06 7:17 AM

I doubt you are lazy - look at the picture of that vette!  First of all!!!

You need to discuss with the wife before it gets resentful (speaking from experience)! Second of all!!!

Lastly (I did it backwards I know ) - I generally don't feel burnt out but I know when I need to cut back and sometimes it is a longer period than other - but I always want to workout - whether it is relaxing or hard - just to keep the blood flowing.

I don't think this makes much sense - but I hope it helps!

She has gotten jelous of the car thing before, but then Itll get me some side work$$$ and she forgets all about it.   Plus I usually work on my cars while shes asleep.  Its easier to work on a car when your so tired your eyes are crossing than trying to do anything physical at that point.  I have literaly fallen asleep laying under a car!  Plus, when your getting paid. 
Wait, I fell asleep in the pool the other day too........
For anyone else into cars, or is sentimental, this is my next project.  My great grandpa(Sticky Rickett) bought this '22 willys touring car new, then later took it apart and built a saw mill out of it.  I found it last year on some land I enherited.  Im going to build a roadster pickup out of it and paint "Sticky's Rod Shop" on the doors.  I never met him or his son sticky Jr(my grandpa). 
2010-05-06 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2840612

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-06 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2840663

Expert
Douglaston, NY
wgraves7582 - 2010-05-06 8:59 AM
onevette80 - 2010-05-06 8:40 AM

You need to discuss with the wife before it gets resentful (speaking from experience)! Second of all!!!

Lastly (I did it backwards I know ) - I generally don't feel burnt out but I know when I need to cut back and sometimes it is a longer period than other - but I always want to workout - whether it is relaxing or hard - just to keep the blood flowing.

She has gotten jelous of the car thing before, but then Itll get me some side work$$$ and she forgets all about it.   Plus I usually work on my cars while shes asleep.  Its easier to work on a car when your so tired your eyes are crossing than trying to do anything physical at that point.  I have literaly fallen asleep laying under a car!  Plus, when your getting paid. 
For anyone else into cars, or is sentimental, this is my next project.  My great grandpa(Sticky Rickett) bought this '22 willys touring car new, then later took it apart and built a saw mill out of it.  I found it last year on some land I enherited.  Im going to build a roadster pickup out of it and paint "Sticky's Rod Shop" on the doors.  I never met him or his son sticky Jr(my grandpa). 

Dude - that is awesome!

^---- What he said!
2010-05-06 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2840466

Expert
Douglaston, NY
ironannekidd - 2010-05-06 6:54 AM

thanks!
Marla

I tried out 4 other saddles before I got an Adamo. Other saddles, even with the small cutouts, put too much pressure on my girl bits. I love my Adamo. It is a bit wider, but I haven't had any problems.

As a bigger guy, I can completely commiserate with your pain.  My pressure points on my bike's original saddle were so bad that I thought I would be able to race without losing a ton of weight or the ability to pee ever again.  I emailed the people at Cobb Cycling with my problem and some questions about what saddle might be best.  John Cobb's wife responded within 12 hours or so with an answer.  The saddle she suggested has worked like a charm (I finally felt what people meant by "needing to adjust to a seat" versus PAIN) and their installation video was a lifesaver for my mechanically-disinclined brain.  They also have a 180 day no-questions asked return policy, which I liked but happily haven't needed to use. 

Just another option... 

2010-05-06 9:15 PM

Master
St. Louis

Heading back to Brazil for a couple days.  Looking for Ann's song list so I can update my ipod for the trip.  At least the trip is short.  I leave Sunday and get back Friday.  First tri next Sunday.  So I got my last bike/run brick before the race in.  It felt good. 

2010-05-06 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2814800

Master
St. Louis
ironannekidd - 2010-04-25 9:03 AM
ransick - 2010-04-23 11:15 PM I'm looking for some new music for my ipod for running.  Any suggestions for good running music?

Kryptonite 4:14 3 Doors Down
 Fire Woman 5:11 The Cult
 Harder to Breathe 2:54 Maroon 5
Holding Out for a Hero 5:50 Bonnie Tyler
I Run for Life 4:24 Melissa Etheridge
Hang In There Superman 4:41 Hal Ketchum
Express Yourself (Mocean Worker Remix) 4:32 Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
Tuff Enuff 3:23 The Fabulous Thunderbirds
 A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix) 3:33 Elvis Presley
 A Little Less Conversation 2:12 Elvis Presley
If Today Was Your Last Day 4:08 Nickelback
No Boundaries 3:48 Adam Lambert
Party In the U.S.A. 3:23 Miley Cyrus
I Gotta Feeling 4:49 Black Eyed Peas
4 Minutes (feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland) 4:05  Justin Timberlake
Bring Me to Life 3:56 Evanescence
 No Surprise 4:10 Daughtry
Move Along 3:59 The All-American Rejects
Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) 3:20 Big & Rich
Pump It 3:33 Black Eyed Peas
Driven By You 4:10 Brian May
 Lose Yourself 5:20 Eminem
 'Till I Collapse 4:58 Eminem & Nate Dogg
Remember the Name 3:47 Fort Minor featuring Styles of Beyond Crazy
Gnarls Barkley Crazy - Single
Alternative Twilight Zone 7:54 Golden Earring
Feel Good Inc. 3:41 Gorillaz
SexyBack 4:03 Justin Timberlake
Vogue 5:17 Madonna
Paradise By The Dashboard Light 8:29 Meat Loaf
I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) 12:00 Meat Loaf
Like the Way I Do 5:26 Melissa Etheridge
I Want To Come Over 5:25 Melissa Etheridge
#1 3:19 Nelly
Gotta Be Somebody 4:13 Nickelback
 I'd Come for You 4:23 Nickelback
Smells Like Teen Spirit 5:01 Nirvana
 Here It Goes Again 3:00 Ok Go
Buttons 3:53 The Pussycat Dolls featuring Big Snoop Dogg Buttons - Single
We Weren't Born to Follow 4:03 Bon Jovi
Uprising 5:05 Muse
Second Chance 3:40 Shinedown
Hey, Soul Sister 3:37 Train
 Bad Romance 4:55 Lady GaGa
Don't Trust Me 3:13 3OH!3 
All These Things That I've Done 5:02 The Killers

song list bump so I can find it easier
2010-05-07 6:00 AM
in reply to: #2842702

Champion
ransick - 2010-05-06 10:15 PM

Heading back to Brazil for a couple days.  Looking for Ann's song list so I can update my ipod for the trip.  At least the trip is short.  I leave Sunday and get back Friday.  First tri next Sunday.  So I got my last bike/run brick before the race in.  It felt good. 

Have fun, but be safe. I hope you aren't too tired from your travels for your tri.
2010-05-07 6:00 AM

Champion
Good morning everyone!

Who has good stuff going on this weekend?
2010-05-07 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2840258

Champion
Bronze member
MarlaS - 2010-05-05 10:53 PM
ceilidh - 2010-05-05 4:41 PM I will not be around tomorrow. I have to leave at the crack of stupid to go teach a class all day. Then go to Charlotte to help my friend celebrate her graduation from Nursing School. Then drive home for work at 7:00 on Friday. Looks like no training tomorrow so I better not slack off on my ride tonight, eh?

Have wonderful days all.

Charlotte NC? My hometown! Enjoy a Cheerwine for me...

Yep, the queen city. My DH grew up there and still has family there. Love me a Cheerwine!

2010-05-07 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2840755

Champion
Bronze member
Sulcus - 2010-05-06 9:33 AM
wgraves7582 - 2010-05-06 8:59 AM
onevette80 - 2010-05-06 8:40 AM

Dude - that is awesome!

^---- What he said!

That is one heck of a find! Very cool to be able to connect to him that way.

Now I wish I could restore my 1948 five window chevy pick up. It mopes in the garage!
2010-05-07 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2842965

Champion
Bronze member
ironannekidd - 2010-05-07 7:00 AM

Have fun, but be safe. I hope you aren't too tired from your travels for your tri.

X2 on both. Are you getting excited for your race?
2010-05-07 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2840796

Champion
Bronze member
Sulcus - 2010-05-06 9:42 AM
ironannekidd - 2010-05-06 6:54 AM

thanks!
Marla

As a bigger guy, I can completely commiserate with your pain.  My pressure points on my bike's original saddle were so bad that I thought I would be able to race without losing a ton of weight or the ability to pee ever again.  I emailed the people at Cobb Cycling with my problem and some questions about what saddle might be best.  John Cobb's wife responded within 12 hours or so with an answer.  The saddle she suggested has worked like a charm (I finally felt what people meant by "needing to adjust to a seat" versus PAIN) and their installation video was a lifesaver for my mechanically-disinclined brain.  They also have a 180 day no-questions asked return policy, which I liked but happily haven't needed to use. 

Just another option... 

Very good point. If you are still having PAIN, you probably need a different seat.
2010-05-07 7:05 AM
in reply to: #2842965

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
ironannekidd - 2010-05-07 7:00 AM

THAT TOO!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Ghoulie Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 56