BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-08-20 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Hi Manatees!!!

Some good news, and some good news.

So ... I had a blazing tooth infection that went a bit systemic (fever/weakness), so my dentist hacked out the roots in the canals and some infected bone. The downsides here are that I've been really sick for nearly a week, no training, and that he cut into my lingual nerve so the left side of my mouth droops and is numb

Another downside is that I decided I needed to forgo Beach to Battleship Iron. Physically, financially, logistically, everythingally, it's still POSSIBLE ... but would be extremely unwise.

However, the upside is that I'm now in for the Asia-Pacific 70.3 Championship in nearby, cheap, beautiful, accessible Phuket, Thailand. The race director is a good friend of mine, Powerade sponsors me for local races (this counts), and it's a great way to represent Bali Tri Club. Etc etc etc. Really, all around, this is a much better option.

Another upside is that God put a super mega hottie triathlete maxillofacial surgeon in my lap (literally--I should probably not expand on this) who is helping me with options for my face.

That's about it, I'll probably get back to training tomorrow.

2010-08-20 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3055066

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Ouch Yanti...that is not fun!  I hate going to the dentist...speaking of which...I have to go soon.
That sounds quite painful but I am glad that you got it taken care of before it got worse. Is the nerve damage typical for that type of surgery?  Hopefully your new sexy triathlete dr. can correct that for you.
Sorry to hear that you're missing the Iron that you have been steadily training for but that's great that you found another race that you can do.  You seem to overcome adversity really well!

Good luck in training and with your recovery. *Flipper pat.
2010-08-22 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yanti-I have a mouth full of rotten teeth...I think maybe my dentist will name his new wing after me and I have seriously considered asking my endo to sponsor me for races...I think I have had 5 root canals in the last year...how far gone are you when you consider not getting a tooth pulled a major victory.

I am glad you are changing your plans...makes good sense to stick with the nearby, sponsored race.  I look forward to hearing about it.

Do we have a race report coming????  1/2 IM???  Can't wait!

I did my first 20 miler today...should have been a non-event as I did 19 last weekend and felt tip top, but...I did 19 last weekend...hence...OW!

Here's a recap:
Mile 0-1:  HEYYY, slow down tiger, sheesh.
1-2:  Allright, music sounds good.
2-3:  Wow, my sportsbra is already soaked and sweat is dripping into my socks.  This is gonna suck.
3-4:  Yay, I'm on the lake.  Uh oh, the cloud cover just disappeared.
4-5:  Thank gawd for potties on the lake.
5-6:  Yay, I am 1/4 of the way done.  Holy crap, I am only 1/4 of the way done.  
6-7:  First stop...less than a minute to take my right sock off, turn it inside out and keep going.  Mental note:  turn the mfing socks inside out BEFORE THE RUN.  Continue.
7-8:  Refill 16 oz bottle for the first time.  Repeat ad nauseum.
8-9:  We have hills in Chicago?  Who knew.
9-10:   Oh thank God, the turnaround.
10-11:  Hey, there's Babydaddy.  Maaaan, he looks good.  Mental note:  take care of Babydaddy.  Just as soon as the screaming pain stops.
11-12:  Ambulance.  Not for me.  Feel sorry for the recipient.  Looked like a bad crash.  Kind of jealous anyway...dude got to ride his bike.
12-13:  Sweat check rude tourist.  Feel bad.  Not really...I mean, who sees a runner coming and just steps out in front of them.
13-14:  Navy Pier has no drinking fountains.  It's either a major detour for water or buy an overpriced beer.  Suffer through the mile with empty water bottle.  Feel angry.  Eat Gu.
14-15:  Babydaddy blows past during a water bottle refill.  
15-16:  Watch swimmers at Ohio street.  Vicious current.
16-17:  Eat everything I have left to take my mind off of the pain.
17-18: Almost get hit by a car.  Sucessfully avoid cursing, educate driver on the virtues of looking both ways.  Wave to the firefighter piglets after another water refill at their hydrant.  I think they know me by now.  
18-19: Pray for red lights.  That make me stop.  Consider weeping.  Realize I have no fluid to produce tears.   
19-20:  Smell finish.  Meet Babydaddy walking down the street with a giant ice water.  Fall in love all over again.

Post run:  eat giant lasagne.  Watch excellent anime movie with DD.  Take 20 minutes to mentally steel myself to climb upstairs to retrieve baby.

I am trying not to complain too much about marathon training...I know at the end of the day on 10-10-10, I will be all big and bad about it, but it gives me a new respect for the virtues of tri training!  

What's going on with all of you folks?

Q

2010-08-23 7:56 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Aaaah Quincy--what a big big big big deal a 20-miler is. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Love the recap. Rude tourist. Prayer. Bwah ha ha!

My teef suck too ... all molars are root-canaled, only one is uncrowned, most are redos, a bunch of the other ones are rooted out too, every single one has at least one cavity. i have made too many dentists very, very happy.

I'm hanging out on a desert island and S/B/R snorkeling to my heart's happy desire (slogging through sand. I'm here with sis and friends and between us there's two professional chefs so we are EATING WELL.

I have the weirdest set of tan lines between all the activities. The oddest is around my face--you know how people wear sunglasses and have white-goggle eyes with red everywhere else on the face? I have red around my eyes, like goggles, and white everywhere else. ??? I applied Coppertone Sport 30 EVERYWHERE 4 times today ... nutz.
2010-08-23 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3057970

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Nice run there Q!  I enjoyed reading your mile-by-mile/play-by-play. And I can see most of those things and thoughts happening out on the lakefront.  I may have been one of the swimmers that you saw fighting the current out there. I figured I don't have a lot of time after work this week to swim so I went both days this weekend instead and will dedicate this week to running and biking and 1 more swim before the Chicago Tri.  It's not my A race so I am just out there to have fun. Although someone I know (DW's friend's husband) is in my wave...damn my competitive spirit
2010-08-23 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Q - I loved the mile-by-mile play-by-play.  And, congrats on the 20 miler.  That's huge.  You are just about ready for the marathon, and you're gonna kill it!!

Question for the Mom's here.  It's back to school time (as you and your pocketbook know) and the kiddo wants new shoes.  I guess he kind of needs them too.   Problem is, he wants these Sketchers that I think are amazingly ugly.  I think they are overpriced as well.  All of the other kids have them, so I hate to not buy them because I don't like them.  I must say, they do a great job with marketing to the kids though.  Thoughts?

2010-08-23 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
OK, first of all, this must be some kind of record, because within the space of ONE PAGE, I have started a job...and quit.  New record.  Won't bore you with the details, but it just wasn't right...still love sweatvac stuff, but, anyway, I'm baaaack.

Ryan, did you notice the current right away, or did you just wonder why it took you an hour to get back to the beach?  It was so funny because as I first saw the swimmers, I thought, WOW, that guy is fast...wow, so is that guy, wow, so is....hey wait a minute here."  Then I saw the poor gal breaststroking the other way, going nowhere.  By nowhere I mean no forward progress... 

Carla, your innocent question sent me into a spiral of recalling childhood events!  I am 41, yet I am still not clear on what my parent's intentions were when it came to saying yes or no to clothes.  (this was not my biggest issue with them, but it IS symbolic).  Anyway, I was faced with the two pronged attack on my teenage sartorial desires...moral and financial.  Some clothes were trendy, slutty, materialistic, "only bought by other people."  And then there was the, "it's so expensive, we can't afford it" approach.  

I feel strongly, that you should take any "judgement" out of it (shoes are ugly, trendy, etc)...and let your son know that if he wants something out of your budget and price range, he can work for it somehow.  Of course, figuring out how he needs to earn money is kind of a problem, but it's a great life lesson.  If he earns the $$$ then he can buy any silly shoe he wants (and you HAVE to let him...part of the life lesson, right?)

Please let me know how it goes.  My kids are little, but for better or worse, I am very dialed into my own teenage angst.  Hope it can go to some good...(for you)....

Q

2010-08-23 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oh and Yanti...

tan lines, to wit:

sock
long short 
short short
waist
water belt
jog bra
watch

My dermatologist has turned me in to the sunscreen police.  My wanted poster resembles a striped snake.  I'll post pics if you all do.

xoxo 
2010-08-24 7:57 AM

User image

Regular
Quincy, that is a new record, but when it ain't right, it ain't right.  If you don't have to stay, then there's no point, you know?

Yanti, sorry about the teeth   I know your pain.  My parents are British.  'Nuff said.

Carla, how old is your son?  My daughter wants these Twinkle Toes shoes.  She's 4.  Ain't gonna happen, but that's because she has 5 pairs of OTHER shoes (my daughter is a Diva.  I don't have a clue where she got the girly gene from).

My answer differs on his age.  My son is 6 and going into 1st grade.  I would probably don't do it because they go through the shoes so quickly.
2010-08-24 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3060538

User image

Master
kerryd - 2010-08-24 7:57 AM Quincy, that is a new record, but when it ain't right, it ain't right.  If you don't have to stay, then there's no point, you know?

Yanti, sorry about the teeth   I know your pain.  My parents are British.  'Nuff said.

Carla, how old is your son?  My daughter wants these Twinkle Toes shoes.  She's 4.  Ain't gonna happen, but that's because she has 5 pairs of OTHER shoes (my daughter is a Diva.  I don't have a clue where she got the girly gene from).

My answer differs on his age.  My son is 6 and going into 1st grade.  I would probably don't do it because they go through the shoes so quickly.

My son is also 6 and just started 1st grade.  I've purposly waited a week or so for the "gotta have it b/c everyone else does" to wear off.  I think it's worked.  We do have some goals in place to get to the reasonably priced shoes that we agree on. 

I caved on the blinky Sketchers last year.  Since he was starting K in a new school and it was his only request, I was ok with buying them.  Of course, the blinky lights only lasted about a month. 

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Twinkle Toes are from Sketchers as well. 

Edited by crews 2010-08-24 9:19 AM
2010-08-24 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I have INTERNET!!!!

The last 8 days have been brutal.  Last Monday was our last morning at my parent's house and their power was out the whole time, then we moved into our new house (OMG YAY) and couldn't get someone out until today because the dingbat former owners forgot to cancel their account.  Sooooooo...

I've painted three rooms, carried multiple heavy boxes from room to room including up and down stairs.  I've been on my feet 12 hours a day for a week unpacking.  I've lost 2lbs.  What I haven't done is any s/b/r in two weeks and I miss it. 

That means two things for my immediate future.  Thing 1: As soon as the girls get on their buses for the first day of school tomorrow morning the little dude and I are caving to the siren song of the MUP conveniently located across the street and going for a run.  Thing 2: There is no way in hell, or on God's great green earth for that matter, that I am going to be in shape to race LG in less than 3 weeks.  Cue the sad violin solo.

Seriously, I've been so conflicted and I really want to do it but I'm so off my game it would be a joke and just not worth the money for the registration, not to mention the hotel and meals and whatnot.  Before you heap your scorn on my soft self I'm going to do a local 5k that weekend instead. 

Okay, that's enough about me.  I'll be checking out race reports later, but congrats to everyone who was cool enough to keep to their training schedule and git 'er done. 

Yanti, good decision.  Look at you making the smart choice!  It must be that "wisdom" we were talking about.

Q, you crack me up.  So many times I wished I had the balls to quit a job I'd just started but I always stuck them out to the bitter end.  And the end was always, always bitter.

Carla, I'm all about giving kids boundaries and teaching them responsibility.  There are rules about what is and isn't appropriate and they know that they're never going to get away with skin baring, explicit images/messages and anything that opposes the value system we're trying to instill in them.  That said, if they want something that is offensive only to my sense of style it's fair game for them.  Personally I wouldn't wear neon green high top sneakers with a camouflage skirt over a pair of skinny jeans matched with an oversize hoodie, but that's just me.  I set a price limit on what I will spend for specific items and if they want something that costs more it's up to them to make up the difference. 

2010-08-25 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3062117

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Hopefully everything becomes settled for you soon in your new house Allison.  I am doing the Chicago Tri (sprint) on Sunday. 
I really wanted to do LG too but I think I might have to back out as well because of lack of preparation   GRRRRR
2010-08-30 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Good Monday morning Manatees.
2010-08-30 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3071346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Good morning Carla.  It's been pretty quiet in here. How was your weekend?
I completed my 3rd tri of the season (actually 3rd of the month haha) yesterday.  It was the Chicago Tri (did the Sprint).  Overall there was probably 8000+ racers in the 90 degree heat.  Fun times!

I will work on my race report this week for you all. 
2010-08-31 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3071373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Here's my other race report from Sunday's race.  Sorry but it's more matter-of-fact and not quite as humorous/fun to read as the one from 8/15.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=224795
2010-09-01 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3074548

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2010-09-01 5:47 AM Here's my other race report from Sunday's race.  Sorry but it's more matter-of-fact and not quite as humorous/fun to read as the one from 8/15.

Did anyone else in  here realize that Ryan is like the fastest runner in the world?!?!?!

Way to sit quiet on that one!

2010-09-01 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3076135

User image

Master
TriAya - 2010-09-01 11:56 AM
blackledge - 2010-09-01 5:47 AM Here's my other race report from Sunday's race.  Sorry but it's more matter-of-fact and not quite as humorous/fun to read as the one from 8/15.

Did anyone else in  here realize that Ryan is like the fastest runner in the world?!?!?!

He is flippin' FAST!
2010-09-01 2:33 PM

User image

Master
RYAN - Great job on the Tri!!!  So, how far along are you and the wife?  Are you all doing well with the baby?

Not sure what happened in August (other than it being over 100 degrees daily), but I was LAZY!  I'm ready to get back to it, my only tri of the year is in October, so I have to get crack-a-lacking!

On another note, I took my kiddo (6) to the doc on Monday.  He has some little rash looking bumps, and I wanted to know what they were.  Long story short...some kind of random pox.  Doc says they'll go away within 9 months to 2 years, but they're harmless.  Cool.  So, being the "on top of it Mom" this fall, I went ahead and got his FluMist (flu shot up the nose stuff).  The doc says most kids do fine with it and don't have any side effects.  He didn't have any problems with that or the H1N1 shot last year.  But, the poor kid has had a fever and a headache since he got this dang vaccine.  Just wanted to give the mommies in the group a heads up.
2010-09-01 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3076624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Thank you both.  I am only really fast on the run once per year and for the past 2 years it has been at the Chicago Tri for some reason??  Now if I could only combine that with the fast bike that I had at another tri...I would be all set haha

We just finished the first trimester.  So far the DW has been doing really well besides being rather tired.  But that lets me sneak out of the house at night and train so it all works out haha.  We were moving furniture around last night and have been debating what do get for the baby. We have 1100 sq ft but it's only 1 bedroom (hence why we tried to sell earlier this year) so we are weighing our options on things such as size of crib, etc.

Hopefully it cools off some for you soon Carla.  It's been a hot summer here too but not nearly what you have experienced.  But just think when you race in the cooler weather in Oct you will be ready to roll after surviving 100 degree days!

2010-09-01 3:05 PM

User image

Melon Presser
I'll come back and ruminate some more about all of our Manatee musings later, but for now ...

y'all might want to check out Tri Talk. Especially Ryan
2010-09-01 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3076135

User image

Master
Vista, CA

TriAya - 2010-09-01 9:56 AM

I KNOW!! Freaky fast! Way to go Ryan!!

Glad the move is over Alison and hope you are all settled in soon.

Sorry I've been rather quiet on here lately. Just stuff...you know that stuff that happens?

Welcome back Carla!

2010-09-02 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: True Confessions of a loser triathlete
OK so for your reading entertainment, I am going to admit to a personal fail:

Last night I got totally drunk.  Not only that, but my evil twin smoked about 6 cigarettes.  And today I was supposed to do a 50 minute tempo run.  OH eff THAT!  I could have (I have amazing stamina in the face of hangoverness, but the fact of the matter is, I just didn't want to.)

I am chalking it up to a mid-training crisis.  Actually, I feel like I needed to succumb to the endurance athlete equivalent of punching a hole in the wall...all this running is making me cuh-ray-zee!

Send manatee flipper smacks if you like.  I deserve them.   

Back on the straight and narrow, y'all.  Just thought I would share.  

Heart,

2010-09-03 2:11 PM

User image

Master
I give you a manatee high 5  
2010-09-03 2:12 PM

User image

Master

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

2010-09-03 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3079778

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: True Confessions of a loser triathlete
quincyf - 2010-09-03 10:05 AM OK so for your reading entertainment, I am going to admit to a personal fail:

Last night I got totally drunk.  Not only that, but my evil twin smoked about 6 cigarettes.  And today I was supposed to do a 50 minute tempo run.  OH eff THAT!  I could have (I have amazing stamina in the face of hangoverness, but the fact of the matter is, I just didn't want to.)

I am chalking it up to a mid-training crisis.  Actually, I feel like I needed to succumb to the endurance athlete equivalent of punching a hole in the wall...all this running is making me cuh-ray-zee!

Send manatee flipper smacks if you like.  I deserve them.   

Back on the straight and narrow, y'all.  Just thought I would share.  

Heart,

*FLIPPER SPANK*

Oh wait, you said "smack." My bad

An otherwise unmemorable ex-boyfriend of mine used to say, "Everything in moderation--including moderation." So it's extremely important to go wild and say "Phuket" sometimes. The secretive smile you can wear while running along the straight and narrow path is great. Plus, it attracts fun people, 'cause they want to know.

Okay. Maybe I live in Yantifantasyland a little too much ... but my mind is fun. Like yours!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60