Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-08-25 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3063307

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
LockOut - 2010-08-25 12:00 PM She's a beauty!  Congrats again!  Now get some time in the saddle!!!  

I rearranged my running plans this week to get a good ride in on Sunday!!  My husband is out tonight, we are all out tomorrow night and then we are at the beach for the weekend.  No point in bringing the bike with me because I know I won't get a chance to ride.  I will probably never bring it to the beach.  Not really a good town to get some serious biking in!  There are lights at just about every corner and you can't really bike on the boardwalk in the morning...too many kids on bikes, runners, and walkers! 

My next tri club ride is on the 11th so I hope to get some decent rides in myself before then!

2010-08-25 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Meggan - She's so pretty!  I maintain that you can never go wrong with a Trek!  Even at the entry level (similar to mine), it's a solid bike that is worth the money.  It's great to have that "new bike" feeling, isn't it?  Can't wait to hear about your rides!

T1 - I always wanted to work with animals, either as a veterinarian or a zoologist.  Unfortunately, weak stomachs run in my family, and I pass out or get really light-headed every time I see blood.  Because most animal job positions involve animal care where I might see blood, I had to give up that dream! 
2010-08-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3063519

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
I guess I forgot to answer...

Growing up, I wanted to be a pro athlete of some sort.  Either tennis or hockey.  That changed when I realized I wasn't very good at either.  Then, I didn't really have any aspirations.  To this day, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  We'll see where the wind takes me!   
2010-08-25 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Very nice looking bike!  Enjoy it.

ps - I haven't seen one of those half doors in ages!
2010-08-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3063616

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-08-25 2:04 PM Very nice looking bike!  Enjoy it.

ps - I haven't seen one of those half doors in ages!

When I was pregnant with Logan, we finished half the garage into a playroom for the kids.  That door was the existing insulated metal door from the garage into the house.  We had the guy cut it down and buy a new one to lead out into the garage.  It is nice.  We can "shut" the boys in there but also see what is going on.  The guy who did the playroom for us said you can't really find the half doors anymore.  You just have to cut them down now.
2010-08-26 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
So, I've been doing a lot of talking in other boards on here, and people are now trying to convince me to do the 70.3 in Orlando next year.  I am having a hard time deciding what I want to do.  My plan was to not do a half next year.  I was going to focus on Olys next year, then do a half the year after, but since I've been doing so well on my sprints, I was thinking of taking more time for the Olys than just a year.  

What are peoples' thoughts about doing a half kind of as 1) a season opener race, and 2) when I was planning on focusing on speed next year.  I know that the longer race can probably help me with endurance, therefore being able to maintain a higher speed for longer, etc etc etc.  

I am really on the fence right now.  Half of me says do it.  I have enough time to train, I feel like I would be able to finish respectably taking the winter to train for it (although I wouldn't get much time on my own bike over the winter, since I wouldn't really be able to ride it ever, I'll probably be on spin bikes), etc...  The course is DEAD flat, so my problem with hills wouldn't bite me in the arse.  The other half of me says to stick to my plan, and don't jump the gun on doing a half.  Help!  lol

2010-08-26 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3063295

User image

Expert
Nice bike MegganLaughing!! Enjoy your ride this weekend!

Mrschach - 2010-08-25 11:57 AM I started with the entry level Trek road bike.  I was trying to decide between that one and the next model up.  The owner of the bike shop told me to stick with the lower model at $200 cheaper.  He said the frame of the two bikes was the same.  He said the components are slightly better in the higher model but nothing I can't change out as time goes on.  He actually said that I would probably want to change some of the components out of the higher model anyway.  He said that it was better to stick with the cheaper one for the long run. 

I did not have them put the clipless pedals on yet.  He wanted me to get used to riding the bike before we added the pedals!!

2010-08-26 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Since I was a little kid I always wanted to be a rockstar.  I would always put on full concerts in my room.  I guess in some weird way I kind of am fulfilling that.  I get a funny feeling sometimes when we are playing to a packed club and I am singing one of the songs from one of those concerts in my bedroom when I was a kid.  Its fun.  Nowadays I hope to someday own my own business.  Not really sure what yet but we are looking at different possibilities just need to save up the $$$$Money mouth
2010-08-26 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3064703

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
LockOut - 2010-08-26 8:22 AM So, I've been doing a lot of talking in other boards on here, and people are now trying to convince me to do the 70.3 in Orlando next year.  I am having a hard time deciding what I want to do.  My plan was to not do a half next year.  I was going to focus on Olys next year, then do a half the year after, but since I've been doing so well on my sprints, I was thinking of taking more time for the Olys than just a year.  

What are peoples' thoughts about doing a half kind of as 1) a season opener race, and 2) when I was planning on focusing on speed next year.  I know that the longer race can probably help me with endurance, therefore being able to maintain a higher speed for longer, etc etc etc.  

I am really on the fence right now.  Half of me says do it.  I have enough time to train, I feel like I would be able to finish respectably taking the winter to train for it (although I wouldn't get much time on my own bike over the winter, since I wouldn't really be able to ride it ever, I'll probably be on spin bikes), etc...  The course is DEAD flat, so my problem with hills wouldn't bite me in the arse.  The other half of me says to stick to my plan, and don't jump the gun on doing a half.  Help!  lol

This is tough.  One of the reasons I really want to jump to a HIM next summer is because I truly think I'll enjoy the longer distances more (not IM long, obviously, but I think HIM and Oly's would be much more enjoyable to me than sprints, mostly because I love the bike part).  So ask yourself if you'd really enjoy doing the Orlando HIM.  If you couldn't enjoy it, then it wouldn't be worth it at all.

Like you said, that HIM is in May, also.  That's really early in the season.  How difficult would it be to train for over the winter?  And would you want to start off big early in the season to prepare only for Oly's?

Lastly, you just need to ask yourself if you really want this to be your first HIM.  If you do, then that's easy, do it.  We know you can.  If there's doubt, it may not be worth it.

This might not be super helpful, but just some questions to help you decide on your own!  If I'm crazy enough to sign up for the HIM next summer, at least I'll have a BT friend to be crazy with if you do! 

Whatever you do, just dive in and do it!  We'll support you!
2010-08-26 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
I'll be going MIA tomorrow for a few days.  Heading up to volunteer for Iron Man Canada and have a little rest and relaxation with friends.  Though my rest and relaxation involves an 18km run:-)

I hope everyone has a really great weekend!
2010-08-26 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3064900

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Enjoy the weekend and have fun with the volunteering!  Don't work too hard.

corstan - 2010-08-26 9:20 AM I'll be going MIA tomorrow for a few days.  Heading up to volunteer for Iron Man Canada and have a little rest and relaxation with friends.  Though my rest and relaxation involves an 18km run:-)

I hope everyone has a really great weekend!

2010-08-26 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3064703

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So when would you have to sign up by? 

I am never one to tell someone they can't do things, so if your heart and mind is truly into it and you feel like you will have the time and dedication to train then go for it. 

But it also comes down to your goals.  Are you looking to be competitive?  Just finish?  How will doing this race effect your long term goals? 

I don't think you have any races coming up, so any thought to beginning an HIM training plan now?  You don't have to do the whole thing, just schedule a few weeks of it to see how you like it and to see how you will fit the training into your life. 

LockOut - 2010-08-26 8:22 AM So, I've been doing a lot of talking in other boards on here, and people are now trying to convince me to do the 70.3 in Orlando next year.  I am having a hard time deciding what I want to do.  My plan was to not do a half next year.  I was going to focus on Olys next year, then do a half the year after, but since I've been doing so well on my sprints, I was thinking of taking more time for the Olys than just a year.  

Edited by chichitao 2010-08-26 9:31 AM
2010-08-26 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3064953

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2010-08-26 10:31 AM So when would you have to sign up by? 

I am never one to tell someone they can't do things, so if your heart and mind is truly into it and you feel like you will have the time and dedication to train then go for it. 

But it also comes down to your goals.  Are you looking to be competitive?  Just finish?  How will doing this race effect your long term goals? 

I don't think you have any races coming up, so any thought to beginning an HIM training plan now?  You don't have to do the whole thing, just schedule a few weeks of it to see how you like it and to see how you will fit the training into your life. 

I don't really know when I'd have to sign up by.  My guess would be sometime in 2010 (and the price goes up on Jan 1 anyways).  

When it comes to finishing vs. being competitive, it's a hard question to answer.  Shorter distances (sprint/Oly), I want to become competitive.  Longer distances, my eyes are set on finishing.  This, I can see, may have an impact on my speed at shorter distances, as I will be working harder at building up endurance than speed for a 10k run, for example.  I understand all this.  Does the HIM HAVE to affect this, I don't really think so, but I am sure that it will.  Also, I don't know how my tri club would incorporate HIM training.  I know that some people this year did halfs and fulls, but they definitely focus on sprint/oly training.  

Good suggestion about starting the plan now and seeing how it goes.  That might be a really good idea.  I will also talk to my team come September, when the new season starts and we are talking about our goals.  

Thanks for all the help so far! 
2010-08-27 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I WILL ride my bike tonight for an hour.  I will.  I have to.

Weekend plans everyone? 

I'm going to a wedding Saturday night in Dubuque, IA for a college roommate.  Other than that, I'll be doing homework all weekend! (yay...)  Ryan, on the other hand, gets to go down to St. Louis for a bachelor party for the wedding we're in NEXT weekend.  Yes, I'm THAT nice that I'm letting him skip out on the wedding to go party. Tongue out Boys will be boys.
2010-08-27 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I've got a 4mi run to do this afternoon and a 1.5hr bike ride tomorrow and a 5mi run on Sun.

AND I have to be in court today at 1pm as the idiot who owns the dog that bit me back in April is contesting the ticket. 
2010-08-27 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3067104

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
SoccerGK - 2010-08-27 10:28 AM I WILL ride my bike tonight for an hour.  I will.  I have to.

Weekend plans everyone? 

I'm going to a wedding Saturday night in Dubuque, IA for a college roommate.  Other than that, I'll be doing homework all weekend! (yay...)  Ryan, on the other hand, gets to go down to St. Louis for a bachelor party for the wedding we're in NEXT weekend.  Yes, I'm THAT nice that I'm letting him skip out on the wedding to go party. Tongue out Boys will be boys.

Bachelor parties are fun.  And completely innocent, too.  I'm sure nothing will happen differently than it would have if Ryan was at the wedding with you  Innocent

As for my weekend, I'm pretty excited.  My gf is coming to town (haven't seen her in 3 weeks), so we're going to be spending the weekend together.  We're going to go indoor skydiving Saturday night, which will be fun!  We'll probably spend a quiet rest of the weekend, though.  Maybe a beach on Sunday morning.  Nothing too serious.

Any ideas on what I can make for us for dinner tonight?  Anyone have any good ideas?  Preferably something that goes with a nice bottle of red... 

2010-08-27 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
We are heading to the beach tonight.  I have no idea what time.  John is in Maryland today for a funeral and we don't know when he will be home.  I have a 5 mile run on the boardwalk tomorrow planned and then a ride when we get home on Sunday. 

I need to do some research and need some help.  We have suspected a milk allergy for Logan forever and we saw an allergist this morning.  We need to go completely dairy and milk free.  I have a list of "how to read a label for a milk free diet" and I just want to cry.  If you have any suggestions, I will take them!
2010-08-27 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
We are heading to a friends house for dinner tonight and then I have two photo shoots to do this weekend. (I have a side photography business!) One of a pregnant belly (my fav.) and a family session.  We have a birthday party Sat. evening. and relaxing sunday after the family photo session. 

So glad it is Friday!  Two of the girls I work with are doing there first tri this weekend.  I am so excited that people I work with now do tri's. They have me all pumped again and said when I am ready they will be there to train and help get me through it.  I knew this new job was going to be great!
2010-08-27 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Spent 4hrs in court today on the dog bite case, but we won!  They charged him with loose dog and the bite and he ended up having to pay all the court costs on top of the fines.  I am very happy.  It was a very frustrating case because both the dog owner and his attorney were just flat out lying and there was nothing we could do about it.  But justice prevailed. 

On a sad note, after I got home from my run I accidentally dropped my garmin in my bathroom and the face hit the tile straight on and completely cracked the screen.  I've got it all jury rigged with clear tape to keep the glass from breaking off.  It still works, for now.  Will have to find out if it is something that can be fixed or will I have to buy a whole new one.  Not too happy about that.

Edited by chichitao 2010-08-28 9:25 AM
2010-08-30 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Tim...glad you won that battle!!  Shame you even had to fight it.

How was the weekend for everyone?

Ours was good.  We were at the beach for the weekend.  Not a great beach day but we spent lots of time on the boardwalk.  We biked on the boardwalk with the kiddos in the morning.  I got a good run in late morning and then we hit the boardwalk for pizza and some rides.  We came back and all four of us napped.  My inlaws were there for the weekend and my parents/sister came down for the evening.  We had dinner and went back up on the boardwalk.  We will go back down this weekend but not sure when.  John is a restaurant manager and runs one of the busiest Cosi's in the country.  He is usually battling for highest weekly sales with one of the Manhatten stores.  He is on Univ of Penn's campus and students are back on campus this week.  He is looking at a crazy week!  He had planned on taking Tuesday-Sunday off but that does not look like it is going to happen.  He has to be off tomorrow for a procedure but will probably work Wednesday and Thursday now.  We had originally planned on heading down Wednesday evening after Joe's karate class but now it will be Thursday afternoon at the earliest.  I can't believe summer is winding down!!
2010-08-30 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Tim, glad you won the case, but like Meggan said, it suchs that you had to deal with that.  Also, that really sucks about the Garmin.  Hopefully there is an easy fix for it!

My weekend was really good.  My gf came to town from Toronto, so we spent the weekend together.  On Saturday night, we went indoor skydiving, which was INCREDIBLE.  It was expensive, but we both loved it, and both plan on going back again the next time she is in town.  So much fun, but such an odd sensation.  Suprisingly, I loved it, but I have no desire to actually skydive.  I would rather keep it in a much more controlled environment.  When I told my grandma what we had done, she stopped talking to me.  Gonna have to do some damage control there!  :P 

2010-08-30 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3070633

User image

Veteran
That is too cool!  I have never heard of indoor sky diving before.  I went sky diving in college and it was the coolest thing I have ever done.  So quiet and peacefull floating down to the ground.  Glad you had a nice weekend!

I had a busy weekend, but good.  Looking forward to the 3 day weekend coming up. 
2010-08-30 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3068649

User image

Expert
I am sure it is a good feeling to put that behind you.  Too bad there are people out there like that.  Also sorry to hear about your Garmin.  Is that the 405?  I hope there is something they can do to repair it but I kind of think it might cost about just as much as new watch.  I ahve heard that the new 405 (or whatever is replacing it) doesn't use the touch bezel.  really smart of them b/c that thing is a pain in the arse.

I had another crazy weekend - played two shows on Saturday.  First once was very cool -it was the Lakeview Fest and we played right on Sheffield & Waveland right next to Wrigley Field. The pic is our view from the stage as we were setting up. Then I played a private party acoustic on the other side of town.  I was beat when I got home especially know I had my peak workout the next morning. 

I also think I fractured my little toe. I broke it like 10 times in college and have been good for the past couple years but I stubbed it really hard on Saturday morning.  Made it throught my workout ok but it is really sore today.

chichitao - 2010-08-27 9:45 PM Spent 4hrs in court today on the dog bite case, but we won!  They charged him with loose dog and the bite and he ended up having to pay all the court costs on top of the fines.  I am very happy.  It was a very frustrating case because both the dog owner and his attorney were just flat out lying and there was nothing we could do about it.  But justice prevailed. 

On a sad note, after I got home from my run I accidentally dropped my garmin in my bathroom and the face hit the tile straight on and completely cracked the screen.  I've got it all jury rigged with clear tape to keep the glass from breaking off.  It still works, for now.  Will have to find out if it is something that can be fixed or will I have to buy a whole new one.  Not too happy about that.
2010-08-30 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Off Season
So what are your guys training plans for the winter off season?  I recently just downloaded a BT winter maintenance program but it has me workign out every day (7-10 hours/week)  Do you think I need to do that much to maintain my fitness over the winter.  Just curious what you guys have done or are planning to do?

2010-08-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3071121

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Off Season
tmoran80 - 2010-08-30 10:27 AM So what are your guys training plans for the winter off season?  I recently just downloaded a BT winter maintenance program but it has me workign out every day (7-10 hours/week)  Do you think I need to do that much to maintain my fitness over the winter.  Just curious what you guys have done or are planning to do?

Well, I am training for the Philly marathon in November.  Not sure what my plan is after that.  There is a 10 mile run the end of March that I have done the past 2 years.  Depending on how the marathon in November goes, I may do the marathon instead.  If that is the case, I will just continue what I am doing.  I am liking the plan I am following because there is 2 cross training or rest days built in.  I am running 4, rest 1, and then the other 2 are my choice.  I need to get back to the pool!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103