BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-04-04 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3256125

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED
One thing that really helps me when I'm on a plateau with weight loss is a looooooooooooong easy workout. Spending 3 hours in a day at around 120-150bpm HR does wonders. Sometimes, I can even see a difference when I'm done. Of course some of that difference is water weight, but still. The challenge is to not "inevitably cheat" as Henry mentioned, when your done with that workout. Workouts like that make me want to eat anything I can get my hands on!

2011-04-04 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3428907

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Lesson's learned from my first outdoor training ride of the season (yesterday):

1. 45 F is not as warm as it sounds when yr going 20mph w/ a cold side-wind!

2. Training on a road bike is *not* the same as tooling around town on a single-speed, no matter how many hills you've muscled up in the past.

3. Riding outdoors is sooooo different than riding the stationary bike at the gym.

4. I'd forgotten how quickly my hands go to sleep when riding in the cold & with my weight so forward on my wrists.

5. I'd forgotten how uncomfortable bumps & cracks in the road can be on your Business!

6. My new bike computer rocks and I should have gotten one years ago!!!!! I got the Sigma Sport Cadence (BC1609) and while it doesn't have a heart rate monitor component, it currently does more than I can track right now so there is room to grow. It has the following specs, cost $94 and took me about 30 minutes to install:
Speed; current, max & average
Cadence; current, max & average
temperature
clock
stopwatch
countdown
trip distance
total distance (odometer)
dual bike memory
a good backlight
and it's wireless.

The only other feature I would have liked would be a lap/split timer option. And the only at all negative comment I have so far is that you can only view speed+ one other feature at the same time. So I kept cycling through the options out of curiosity (cadence vs. time vs. clock, etc) but it was pretty easy to do that while riding.

Edited by QueerDrummer 2011-04-04 12:10 PM
2011-04-04 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3428925

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Meulen - 2011-04-04 12:00 PM One thing that really helps me when I'm on a plateau with weight loss is a looooooooooooong easy workout. Spending 3 hours in a day at around 120-150bpm HR does wonders. Sometimes, I can even see a difference when I'm done. Of course some of that difference is water weight, but still. The challenge is to not "inevitably cheat" as Henry mentioned, when your done with that workout. Workouts like that make me want to eat anything I can get my hands on!

Yes! I have been micromanaging my food, which even I'll agree isn't sustainable long term for everyone, but if you're planning a long workout like that, I find it helps to plan in advance what you're going to eat afterwards. 1, you don't have to think when your brain is in that post-workout, can't-function, high and 2, you are less likely to over-indulge.

2011-04-04 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3428947

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-04 12:12 PM

Meulen - 2011-04-04 12:00 PM One thing that really helps me when I'm on a plateau with weight loss is a looooooooooooong easy workout. Spending 3 hours in a day at around 120-150bpm HR does wonders. Sometimes, I can even see a difference when I'm done. Of course some of that difference is water weight, but still. The challenge is to not "inevitably cheat" as Henry mentioned, when your done with that workout. Workouts like that make me want to eat anything I can get my hands on!

Yes! I have been micromanaging my food, which even I'll agree isn't sustainable long term for everyone, but if you're planning a long workout like that, I find it helps to plan in advance what you're going to eat afterwards. 1, you don't have to think when your brain is in that post-workout, can't-function, high and 2, you are less likely to over-indulge.

hahahahahahhaha!!! I wish it were that easy!! yesterday:
1. swim for 1 hour
2. ride the bike for 2 hours

what did my nutrition plan look like:
1. eat a light breakfast before swim
2. eat a powerbar to re-fuel for the bike ride on the way there
3. come home eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on wheat, cottage cheese and peaches
4. eat a sensible dinner

what I actually did
1. light breakfast before swim
2. powerbar on the way to the ride
3. Chocolate milk recovery drink and, peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on wheat, cottage cheese and peaches
4. 4 Recees' eggs, 1 bowl of ice cream, cajun chicken penne pasta, one captin morgan and coke, one, cherry coke!!!! -total gorge fest!!!!!

I suck!!! I need to find things to keep me busy when I'm not working out. It just so happened I had something planned to do that. However, I couldn't find the tool that I needed to complete a project. I got frustrated, had a drink and "fell off the wagon"! Darn OCD personality!!!!!
2011-04-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3428942

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-04 12:10 PM

Lesson's learned from my first outdoor training ride of the season (yesterday):

1. 45 F is not as warm as it sounds when yr going 20mph w/ a cold side-wind!

2. Training on a road bike is *not* the same as tooling around town on a single-speed, no matter how many hills you've muscled up in the past.

3. Riding outdoors is sooooo different than riding the stationary bike at the gym.

4. I'd forgotten how quickly my hands go to sleep when riding in the cold & with my weight so forward on my wrists.

5. I'd forgotten how uncomfortable bumps & cracks in the road can be on your Business!

6. My new bike computer rocks and I should have gotten one years ago!!!!! I got the Sigma Sport Cadence (BC1609) and while it doesn't have a heart rate monitor component, it currently does more than I can track right now so there is room to grow. It has the following specs, cost $94 and took me about 30 minutes to install:
Speed; current, max & average
Cadence; current, max & average
temperature
clock
stopwatch
countdown
trip distance
total distance (odometer)
dual bike memory
a good backlight
and it's wireless.

The only other feature I would have liked would be a lap/split timer option. And the only at all negative comment I have so far is that you can only view speed+ one other feature at the same time. So I kept cycling through the options out of curiosity (cadence vs. time vs. clock, etc) but it was pretty easy to do that while riding.

It doesn't have an HR monitor on it?

What's up with the single speed? Did you build it/buy it?, I'm planning on making that old bike I bought a fixie!!
2011-04-04 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3428982

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

It doesn't have an HR monitor on it? What's up with the single speed? Did you build it/buy it?, I'm planning on making that old bike I bought a fixie!!

No, it doesn't have a HR feature, but I wasn't looking for one. I haven't found a monitor that works through my hairy chest w/o shaving & I'm not that committed. LOL

I ride a single speed for transportation all over the place. Even trips over 20 miles! The one I'm riding now I built up myself from scratch (with help from my fiance who is the bike genius). I originally built it up as a fixed gear, but found I just wasn't that fond of riding fixed. I set it up with a "flip-flop" hub though, so all I had to do was flip the back wheel over and add a 2nd brake to make it a regular free-wheel single speed. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how to do that - it's beautiful! Had a friend do a custom paint job on it too. It was my project 2 winters ago and it's an awesome ride. I use a pretty hard gear ratio...can't remember the numbers right now. Let's me cruise pretty fast though and then I just have to muscle up the hills.

2011-04-04 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3428977

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Meulen - 2011-04-04 12:23 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-04 12:12 PM

hahahahahahhaha!!! I wish it were that easy!! yesterday: 1. swim for 1 hour 2. ride the bike for 2 hours what did my nutrition plan look like: 1. eat a light breakfast before swim 2. eat a powerbar to re-fuel for the bike ride on the way there 3. come home eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on wheat, cottage cheese and peaches 4. eat a sensible dinner what I actually did 1. light breakfast before swim 2. powerbar on the way to the ride 3. Chocolate milk recovery drink and, peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on wheat, cottage cheese and peaches 4. 4 Recees' eggs, 1 bowl of ice cream, cajun chicken penne pasta, one captin morgan and coke, one, cherry coke!!!! -total gorge fest!!!!! I suck!!! I need to find things to keep me busy when I'm not working out. It just so happened I had something planned to do that. However, I couldn't find the tool that I needed to complete a project. I got frustrated, had a drink and "fell off the wagon"! Darn OCD personality!!!!!

Oh no! Yup, I know what those days are like. Although I rarely have enough free time to need distraction. But I do seem to get all the way through the day and then crash at dinner if I'm gonna crash. Of course that's the worst time to do it too!

2011-04-04 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3427802

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

mcommend - 2011-04-03 7:29 PM Congratulations Sarah!  That's great work!  That is the one great thing about training in Pittsburgh - what other people consider hills often turn out to be nothing Smile   I can't go within 20 feet of my house with out encountering some major hills.  Good luck with your recovery!

Yes, way to go Sarah.  That was a great run.  And I totally agree about training around Pittsburgh.  I just signed up for one of my races this summer.  This will be my fourth year doing the race.  I have always said that I do so well on the run because it is flat as a pancake.  I noticed that when I signed up this year, the run is described as rolling hills!!  Not compared to where I run!  Just think how strong you are making yourself!  Great job.

My week this week will be a little crazy between a church meeting and work training, I am not sure where and when my workouts will fit in.  I am glad this is a bit of a recovery week.  Isn't it frustrating when life gets in the way?  Add to that the fact that it snowed here on Saturday, hailed on Sunday, was 72° today, and they are calling for snow tonight and tomorrow!  When will my bike ever get off the trainer??

Happy training!

Karen

2011-04-04 9:14 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

Brian,

You aren't kidding about there being a lot of triathlon/ outdoor sports around here.  I can't believe how much.  Also nice to be able to train year round.  The problem is, everyone here that is into it is so far advanced of me I can only hope to keep up.  These people are dedicated.  There is a guy that is running 6 minute miles every week in that group I told you about.  Many are under 8.  This is for 5k.  I have a hard time keeping 10 min/miles.  Also, the fastest swimmer in my Oly Tri made it through in 13 minutes.  Are you kidding me?   I also wanted to ask you something.  Is it possible like Henry said that if I eat too few calories per day that I won't lose weight.  Every calorie calculator I see says that I burn 3000 calories per day before I work out.  Sometimes I burn 1000 calories in a workout session.  I only eat 2000-2500 per day.  I would think I should be losing weight like crazy.  Also, when I test my fat% either on the scale or manualy, I come up with 12%.  Yet I still cannot get below 195lbs.  My scale seems to go up and down 5 lbs all the time.  I can be 195 one day and 200 the next even though I ate well and exercised.  This is so confusing.

2011-04-05 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3429849

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-04 9:14 PM

Brian,

You aren't kidding about there being a lot of triathlon/ outdoor sports around here.  I can't believe how much.  Also nice to be able to train year round.  The problem is, everyone here that is into it is so far advanced of me I can only hope to keep up.  These people are dedicated.  There is a guy that is running 6 minute miles every week in that group I told you about.  Many are under 8.  This is for 5k.  I have a hard time keeping 10 min/miles.  Also, the fastest swimmer in my Oly Tri made it through in 13 minutes.  Are you kidding me?   I also wanted to ask you something.  Is it possible like Henry said that if I eat too few calories per day that I won't lose weight.  Every calorie calculator I see says that I burn 3000 calories per day before I work out.  Sometimes I burn 1000 calories in a workout session.  I only eat 2000-2500 per day.  I would think I should be losing weight like crazy.  Also, when I test my fat% either on the scale or manualy, I come up with 12%.  Yet I still cannot get below 195lbs.  My scale seems to go up and down 5 lbs all the time.  I can be 195 one day and 200 the next even though I ate well and exercised.  This is so confusing.

I know we've had a debate about some of this along the way. A few things I'll say:
1. Scales only estimate body fat so focus on direction of improvement not the actual number
2. 5lbs day to day at different times a day after or before workouts is not all that uncommon. I tend to stay betwee 168-173 depending when I weigh myself.
3. Yes, you can stop losing weight if you eat to few cals. You put your body in starvation mode. It will stop using fat as fuel and attack muscle. Usually if you eat less than 1500/day net for an extended period of time
4. I still think your calculations are off. 3000 is an awful lot and seems to include an active lifestyle in it. What you need to do is take your resting daily caloric intake, then add what you burn in excercise. Net that number and minus 500-1000 cals per day for dieting. Also, looking back at your logs there are barely any workouts that would have burned 1000 calories IMO. You can't go by a HRM or some of these crazy websites. They way overestimate! When you use a powermeter you'll see it takes about 1:30-1:45 of HARD, wanna puke, riding to burn 1000 cals.
5. Once you lose a significant amount of weight your resting daily cal number changes, and you need to adjust for your new weight.

So......why do I think you may be at plateu?
It's really hard to say for sure with the details I have. I suspect:
1. You need to readjust your numbers!
2. You need to be more realistic about what your burning. Your not alone here. Most people overestimate cals burned and underestimate intake.
3. If you are still eating under 1200-1500 cals net per day you are in starvation mode and need to normalize for a while to get out.

If this doesn't work for you maybe you really are at a plateau. There are reasons you could be at a cal deficite and still not burning fat. But I would start with the info above before we go there, and talk about it.

It's REALLY cool to be surrounded by people better than you. I swear it makes you improve sooo quick whe you get your but kicked all the time! I got a friend that kills me in the MTB trails! He's won big races on the elite level. I'll never catch him, but riding with him has taught me a lot and motivated me to keep training hard so I don't get left alone in the trails when he drops me! lol This year I got him to do tri's and we do some trail running when we are done MTB'ing. The last running race we did together was 4.3 miles. I ran 6:37/miles and he ran almost 8:00/miles!! I got a little satisfaction that the tables turned, and he got motivated to train harder on the run. We've both helped push each other greatly!

2011-04-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3430172

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Meulen - 2011-04-05 9:05 AM
  3. Yes, you can stop losing weight if you eat to few cals. You put your body in starvation mode. It will stop using fat as fuel and attack muscle. Usually if you eat less than 1500/day net for an extended period of time 

THANK YOU!!! This is what I tell Michael ALL.OF.THE.TIME! He either eats a banana or NO breakfast! He eats a handful of spinach and a clementine only for lunch and a regular dinner with a smoothie and usually popcorn or multigrain chips and hummus for a snack. He is 6 foot 2 and starves himself and wonders why he doesn't lose weight. I'm not kidding!!!

2011-04-05 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3430194

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-04-05 8:15 AM

THANK YOU!!! This is what I tell Michael ALL.OF.THE.TIME! He either eats a banana or NO breakfast! He eats a handful of spinach and a clementine only for lunch and a regular dinner with a smoothie and usually popcorn or multigrain chips and hummus for a snack. He is 6 foot 2 and starves himself and wonders why he doesn't lose weight. I'm not kidding!!!

If you're going to starve yourself do it after dinner!

It's important to keep your metabolizm going and let your body to perform the processes it was designed to do. I rarely go more than 2 hours without eating something until after dinner, when I'm "on the wagon". IMO most athletes can benefit more from "leaning out" rather than "weight loss" What I mean, is eat more protein!!! When I do this, I seem to have less problems feeling hungry, I cheat less, preserve more muscle and performance from workouts, and feel more energetic! The "fat" loss seems to take care of itself, and the muscle builds!

If I could only do it!!!!
2011-04-05 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
libramom - 2011-04-05 8:15 AM

You are right on this one. When eating for athletics or weight loss (similar strategy, sometimes a different nutrition balance depending on the sport) you want to eat the bulk of your calories in the morning and early afternoon. Like Brian said, this basically jumpstarts your metabolism and helps your body burn calories more efficiently. You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight, and in fact when you do this you are more likely to just be losing muscle instead of fat. When your body goes into this "starvation mode" it holds onto fat rather than burning it. Not the result we want! I aim for 500-1000 calorie deficit per day which equals 1-2 lbs weight loss per week. I think Dale mentioned he goes up & down about 5 lbs regularly. This is actually really common and generally attributed to water weight. I think even pretty lean people can fluxuate that much. Also, experiment with calorie intake. It's almost impossible to be completely accurate in estimating calorie burn, but it's easier to track calorie intake if you write everything down or enter it into a website. I use www.livestrong.com/myplate to track my food but they *do* over-estimate calorie burn so if I'm using it to track activity I usually enter about 80% of what I actually did. If you set your goal and after a week or 2 feel sluggish or aren't seeing any changes, try adding 50-100 calories/day for another couple weeks. I just added 100 cals/day for the last week and I dropped a pound but more impressively can see the difference in muscle definition.

2011-04-05 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Edited by QueerDrummer 2011-04-05 10:41 AM
2011-04-05 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3430575

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-05 10:40 AM

hmmmmm...is Henry trying to post pics of the SS bike????? LOL

I almost forgot, post up some pics! I wanna see!

I picked up that old Raleigh that I posted pics of for that. They are building a new train station close enough for me to bike to. I planned on getting some deep v wheels and an SS crank, getting the frame powder coated and riding that to the train for work!
2011-04-05 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
libramom - 2011-04-05 9:15 AM

Erin is soo exagerating.  I also have another clementine in the morningLaughing  If I need more calories would it work the same if they came from beer?  I already know that answer, but it sure would be nice!  I do not normally eat like this, but I am trying to sort of cleanse out my system and drop a few pounds.  I do not want any major losses, but it will be easier to run with less weight.  Besides, I can avoid paying a fortune buying some expensive carbon parts for my bike by just eliminating my own weight...lol. 

2011-04-05 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3430789

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
mcommend - 2011-04-05 1:22 PM
libramom - 2011-04-05 9:15 AM

Erin is soo exagerating.  I also have another clementine in the morningLaughing  If I need more calories would it work the same if they came from beer?  I already know that answer, but it sure would be nice!  I do not normally eat like this, but I am trying to sort of cleanse out my system and drop a few pounds.  I do not want any major losses, but it will be easier to run with less weight.  Besides, I can avoid paying a fortune buying some expensive carbon parts for my bike by just eliminating my own weight...lol. 

maybe you would lose some weight (not that you need to) by going to the reiki lady at my school. i just had a session and now i feel nauseated. it's suppose to eliminate your toxins. i think all my toxins are going to come out of my mouth soon.

2011-04-05 12:39 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
you can clense and still eat! There are tons of organic options out there now!
2011-04-05 10:27 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

Brian,  I don't know what it is.  All the calculators say I burn 2800 and in some cases 3400 per day before the exercise.  This is from many websites including this one.   I am 6 foot 2 inches and weigh at my latest low weight 195.  My job is more active than most.  I spend half the day driving and the other half walking, hiking, crawling, lifting and carry 20+ pounds with me everywhere I go.  I don't tell the websites that I am active.  In fact on this site, I am listed as 5 Moderate( Some Activity ).  This website lists it as 3060 calories per day.  I probably shouldn't be complaining about the weight because I am not fat.  I just have like two or three pounds right at the belly button.  It is practicaly nothing. It's an almost six pack and has been for a year.  I get complimented on how fit I look all the time.  It just sucks to get almost a six pack and never a six pack.  Its probably just genetics or something.  Anyway,  how did you figure out your Resting Calorie Burn?  Are there any sites that are close to correct?  Do you use this site and if so, how off is it compared to your actual calorie usage?  What is the best way to figure out what I burn during a workout.  My heartrate monitor is always close to the numbers listed on this website in my training log.  I don't really know another way to calculate it.

Michael:  It sounds like you are the same height as me.  I am 37 not sure about you. I eat way more than what it says you do.  This is how I normaly eat.  7:00 Breakfast - 200 cal.  10:00 Snack - 250 cal.  12:00 Lunch - 500 cal. 3:00 Snack - 250 cal. 7:00 Dinner 750-1000.  That gives me a total of 2000 - 2300 per day.  These are days that I don't cheat and eat doughnuts.  I try and get at least 5 - 6 days a week without cheating.  I am at around 12% body fat.  I exercise around an hour a day most days.  Some days a little more, some a little less.   I think that because of our size and weight that we require more food than smaller people.  Our muscles are bigger and longer.  Have to be to carry our weight around.  I gave up on lightening my bike.  I figure if I outweigh the competition by 40 pounds, what's the point in having a bike that weighs a pound less.  I guess so I only outweigh them 39 pounds.   I tell you if we strapped a 40 pound backpack on them and had them run with us, they would be slow too.  Not to mention the joint pain.

2011-04-06 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3431720

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-05 10:27 PM

Brian,  I don't know what it is.  All the calculators say I burn 2800 and in some cases 3400 per day before the exercise.  This is from many websites including this one.   I am 6 foot 2 inches and weigh at my latest low weight 195.  My job is more active than most.  I spend half the day driving and the other half walking, hiking, crawling, lifting and carry 20+ pounds with me everywhere I go.  I don't tell the websites that I am active.  In fact on this site, I am listed as 5 Moderate( Some Activity ).  This website lists it as 3060 calories per day.  I probably shouldn't be complaining about the weight because I am not fat.  I just have like two or three pounds right at the belly button.  It is practicaly nothing. It's an almost six pack and has been for a year.  I get complimented on how fit I look all the time.  It just sucks to get almost a six pack and never a six pack.  Its probably just genetics or something.  Anyway,  how did you figure out your Resting Calorie Burn?  Are there any sites that are close to correct?  Do you use this site and if so, how off is it compared to your actual calorie usage?  What is the best way to figure out what I burn during a workout.  My heartrate monitor is always close to the numbers listed on this website in my training log.  I don't really know another way to calculate it.

Michael:  It sounds like you are the same height as me.  I am 37 not sure about you. I eat way more than what it says you do.  This is how I normaly eat.  7:00 Breakfast - 200 cal.  10:00 Snack - 250 cal.  12:00 Lunch - 500 cal. 3:00 Snack - 250 cal. 7:00 Dinner 750-1000.  That gives me a total of 2000 - 2300 per day.  These are days that I don't cheat and eat doughnuts.  I try and get at least 5 - 6 days a week without cheating.  I am at around 12% body fat.  I exercise around an hour a day most days.  Some days a little more, some a little less.   I think that because of our size and weight that we require more food than smaller people.  Our muscles are bigger and longer.  Have to be to carry our weight around.  I gave up on lightening my bike.  I figure if I outweigh the competition by 40 pounds, what's the point in having a bike that weighs a pound less.  I guess so I only outweigh them 39 pounds.   I tell you if we strapped a 40 pound backpack on them and had them run with us, they would be slow too.  Not to mention the joint pain.

The only real 100% accurate way is to have it tested. I went to livestrong.com and they have you at a net 2057cals per day to lose 1-2lbs per week. As far as what you are burning, which is probably the biggest issue, there are tons of bad data on this. The only way to be accurate is to be hooked up to a powermeter. What I did was baseline a hard bike workout on the computrainer and ran the data on my garmin along side. It showed me what the cal burn should be vs what the HRM recorded. I remember being astounded on how far off it was. From there I used livestrong.com for all tracking. Livestrong has all sorts of estimates from high to low on activity. I chose numbers that were inline with my perceived effort according to the test I did on the computrainer vs. my HRM. Using that was where I lost my most amount of weight. However, if you are down to that last little bit, like I am, its going to be more on quality of calories. Erin and Michael are expirementing with cleansing diets. I've found these effective for that last little bit because the break up the toxins in your system and allow your body to burn that fat. Those tough spots are fat cells surrounded by toxic water that blocks your body from burning it for energy. You don't have to do some crazy diet to get to it. It takes more time, but eating wholesome organic and not processed foods, along with sitting in a sauna will have a similar effect. The discipline to do this is incredible though. Personally, I keep at this a little and fall back constantly. With all the training it just takes soooo much time to prepare food, shop, and take the time to relax!!!

Remember, I'm not to far from where your at! A little over a year ago I was 6' 1" 185 at 35 years old.

Edited by Meulen 2011-04-06 7:54 AM
2011-04-06 8:09 AM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara
Thanks Brian. You explained it perfectly. I will look at Livestrong.com.

2011-04-06 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3431925

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Meulen - 2011-04-06 8:51 AM
  Remember, I'm not to far from where your at! A little over a year ago I was 6' 1" 185 at 35 years old.

I'm not trying to sound rude at all, but don't you agree that 160 pounds (what your goal weight is) for a man who is 6'1" is pretty thin? I'm sure you have a small frame and it totally works for your body/bone structure and how much you train, but on average- that's a pretty low weight for a guy who is around your height. Michael would look anorexic, but that's just his body type I guess.

Dale- Michael is also 37 too!

2011-04-06 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3432253

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-04-06 10:12 AM

I'm not trying to sound rude at all, but don't you agree that 160 pounds (what your goal weight is) for a man who is 6'1" is pretty thin? I'm sure you have a small frame and it totally works for your body/bone structure and how much you train, but on average- that's a pretty low weight for a guy who is around your height. Michael would look anorexic, but that's just his body type I guess.

I agree!! At 175 I actually had a friend ask if I had cancer!! LOL I'd be really thin at 160 that's for sure. According to Freil, author of Triathlete's Training Bible, I should be at 140!!!! That's ludicrous!!!! I'm a pretty average build to be honest. But in our sport, being competitive means being seriously thin and looking almost sick. The top performing athletes will tell you that they are on the cusp of being so thin they are sick. I don't want to be on the cusp, where I would be at 140. I think 160 is a good compromise for my lifestyle. I still enjoy food and beer!!!! especially beer!!! and don't have the kind of dedication to be at that level that would warrant me being at 140. And I won't have the desire to unless someone pays me!
2011-04-06 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3432295

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Meulen - 2011-04-06 11:27 AM

� Remember, I'm not to far from where your at! A little over a year ago I was 6' 1" 185 at 35 years old.

I agree!! At 175 I actually had a friend ask if I had cancer!! LOL I'd be really thin at 160 that's for sure. According to Freil, author of Triathlete's Training Bible, I should be at 140!!!! That's ludicrous!!!! I'm a pretty average build to be honest. But in our sport, being competitive means being seriously thin and looking almost sick. The top performing athletes will tell you that they are on the cusp of being so thin they are sick. I don't want to be on the cusp, where I would be at 140. I think 160 is a good compromise for my lifestyle. I still enjoy food and beer!!!! especially beer!!! and don't have the kind of dedication to be at that level that would warrant me being at 140. And I won't have the desire to unless someone pays me!

i didn't even know that was humanly possible to be that height at 140 pounds unless you are completely not eating anything...ever. sure doesn't sound like a healthy triathlete to me! gross.

2011-04-06 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3432315

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-04-06 10:34 AM

Meulen - 2011-04-06 11:27 AM

� Remember, I'm not to far from where your at! A little over a year ago I was 6' 1" 185 at 35 years old.

i didn't even know that was humanly possible to be that height at 140 pounds unless you are completely not eating anything...ever. sure doesn't sound like a healthy triathlete to me! gross.

I know, these top guys are literally sometimes sick because they are so thin. They skate a very thin line. Here's a great article on it by Joe Friel

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/weight-management....

Body Weight Management

© Joe Friel 2008

A common question asked by triathletes is how to lose weight to improve climbing on the bike and running in general. There’s little doubt that being lighter means better climbing and faster running. A pound of excess body weight takes about two watts to get it up a hill on a bike and costs about two seconds a mile when running. That doesn’t sound like much, but what if you shed ten pounds of fat? Dropping ten pounds of excess flab means you would ride up a hill about seven to ten percent faster and run a 5k about a minute faster. Those are significant improvements in performance that would otherwise take lots of sweat and months of hard training to accomplish.

While there is no question that excess body weight is a great handicap in a triathlon this is not to say that all triathletes should lose weight. Many are already lean enough. Trying to cut weight when you are already close to your optimal body mass is not a good idea.

Getting Your Mass Over the Pass

Is 200 pounds too heavy to be a competitive triathlete? Well, we really can’t say based just on weight. What if the athlete is six-feet, eight-inches tall? I once coached an age-group triathlete like this who regularly qualified for Ironman Hawaii and finished in under nine-and-a-half hours. He is quite skinny—and fast.

So weight alone doesn’t tell you much. Body mass is a much better indicator but a little complicated. A easy way to think about your body mass is to compare your weight with your height. The bathroom scales simply don’t tell you the whole story. Your weight-to-height ratio is a much simpler and more effective way to think about body mass than only using the scales.

Determine your ratio by dividing your weight in pounds by your height in inches. Competitive male triathletes are generally about 2.1 to 2.3 pounds per inch. High-performance women triathletes are usually in the range of 1.8 to 2.0. Men who exceed 2.5 pounds per inch and women above 2.3 are best advised to find flat race courses if the goal is to be competitive. Hilly courses favor lower-body-mass athletes. But high-mass athletes actually have an advantage on a flat bike course; all the more so if the wind is blowing. For example, the 200-pound athlete mentioned above comes in at 2.5 pounds per inch and races most competitively on flat to rolling courses.

Eat Less or Train More?

If above the competitive range and you want to climb and run faster, how can you get down closer to it? What is the best way to accomplish a lofty goal of dropping those last few pounds? Unfortunately, studies on the best way for serious athletes to drop a few pounds are rare. One group of researchers, however, has examined the issue in an interesting way. They compared eating less to exercising more to see which was more effective in dropping excess body fat.

The scientists had six, endurance-trained men create a 1,000-calorie-per-day deficit for seven days by either exercising more while maintaining their caloric intake, or by eating less while keeping exercise the same. With 1,000 calories of increased exercise daily–comparable to running an additional eight miles or so each day–the exercise-more men averaged 1.67 pounds of weight loss in a week. On the other side, the eat-less men took in 1,000 fewer calories from food each day and lost 4.75 pounds on average for the week.

So, according to this study, the old adage that “a calorie is a calorie” doesn’t hold true. At least in the short term, restricting food intake appears to have a greater return on the scales than does increasing the training workload.

Notice that I said “on the scales.” The reduced-food-intake group in this study unfortunately lost a greater percentage of muscle mass than did the increased-exercise group. That is an ineffective way to lose weight. If the scales show you’re lighter, but you have less muscle to create power, the trade off is not a good one.

How can you reduce calories and yet maintain muscle mass? Unfortunately, that question hasn’t been answered for athletes, but it has been for sedentary women. Perhaps the conclusions are still applicable to athletes.

Eat Less What?

In 1994, Italian researchers had 25 women eat only 800 calories a day for 21 days. Ten ate a relatively high-protein and low-carbohydrate diet. Fifteen ate a low-protein and high-carbohydrate diet. Both were restricted to 20 percent of calories from fat. The two groups lost similar amounts of weight, but there was a significantly greater loss of muscle on the high-carbohydrate, low-protein diet.

It appears that when calories are reduced to lose weight, which is more effective than increasing training workload, the protein content of the diet must be kept at near normal levels. This, of course, assumes that you’re eating adequate protein before starting the diet, which many athletes aren’t. If your protein intake is low, typically less than about 20 percent of total calories, then training quality will suffer and you are likely to lose muscle mass when eating less.

When to Lose Weight

When one of the athletes I coach needs to drop a few pounds we try to accomplish this in the early Base period of the season. The challenge for most athletes is that this time in the training season generally includes the holidays at year end. That can be a difficult time of year to reduce food intake. But if we get to Build 1—about 10 to 12 weeks before the first A-priority race—then it’s really too late and we need to accept whatever the athlete’s body weight is and move on to the more challenging race-like training.

So the bottom line is that when trying to lose those last few pounds of excess flab that cutting calories is more effective than increasing exercise volume and that a quality source of protein should be included in every meal. The best time in the season to lose weight is during the Base period. The closer you get to your A-priority race the more detrimental calorie-cutting will be for recovery and performance.

Joe Friel is the author of The Triathlete’s Training Bible and co-author of The Paleo Diet for Athletes. For his blog or more information on training, training plans, camps, clinics and coaching visit his website at trainingbible.com.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56