BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-14 11:37 PM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Fortunately jet lag isn't bothering me and I slept until the alarm went off at 5AM.  After a quick apple and check of the e-mail, headed out in Hanover for a run.  Managed to find a nice route that had lots of trees and was about 60% hard pack (always run on the roads, this was SO nice!!!).   Did an out and back targeting a nice steady pace.  15:01 out and 15:02 back was pretty steady!!!

I continue to be very pleased with my progress.  The lungs and cardio have really made significant gains over the past year.  Patience will be critical to build on these gains and THEN start the path to increasing speed.

2011-06-15 1:56 AM
in reply to: #3549738

Extreme Veteran
croixfan - 2011-06-14 11:37 PM

Fortunately jet lag isn't bothering me and I slept until the alarm went off at 5AM.  After a quick apple and check of the e-mail, headed out in Hanover for a run.  Managed to find a nice route that had lots of trees and was about 60% hard pack (always run on the roads, this was SO nice!!!).   Did an out and back targeting a nice steady pace.  15:01 out and 15:02 back was pretty steady!!!

I continue to be very pleased with my progress.  The lungs and cardio have really made significant gains over the past year.  Patience will be critical to build on these gains and THEN start the path to increasing speed.

Yay for the lung and cardio gains. I'm sure the speed will catch up eventually

Me - just came back from a 300m swim (total not all in one hit - I'm not that good yet, lol.) Forgot my goggles so didn't really worry about the breathing although I did 2 sets on the wall to see how I'd go - fine if I close my eyes but not very practical, lol. Then tryied a cut down version of the 1st workout from the "Learn to swim series" warm up 50m backstroke main set: 2x25 kick, 2x25 pull (just let my legs drag behind me and rolled in order to breath as I don't have a pull buoy yet - is that the right way?) 2x25 swim cooldown 100m backstroke and I'm definitely trying for the 150 on my next endurance session as the 100 felt too easy.

I probably could have kept going but I knew the form drills weren't really doing me any good as I wasn't keeping proper breathing form due to the goggles issue. I'll try the same drill on Friday with them and see how I go though.

Oh and I finished off with about 6 mins of yoga in the hydro pool where I practiced a couple of poses. Went ok (I can hold one of the for 2 mins with the arms waving as needed to keep balance and the other (harder one) for about 10 secs) so I'm thinking of adding a yoga class to my routine soon too. I have a feeling my layby has already been returned to the floor and I'd probably benifet from learning in a class better anyway so I'll give it a try.

2011-06-15 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Just back from a nice OWS swim at the beach. My god, is the ocean cold! .  Didn't swim far or for long (250 yds, probably). Good news -- felt awesome. Felt fast, smooth, and balanced. Tomorrow night at 7 I'm meeting someone at the beach for another (and longer!) swim session.
2011-06-15 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3551441

Extreme Veteran

Mike_D - 2011-06-15 7:26 PM Just back from a nice OWS swim at the beach. My god, is the ocean cold! .  Didn't swim far or for long (250 yds, probably). Good news -- felt awesome. Felt fast, smooth, and balanced. Tomorrow night at 7 I'm meeting someone at the beach for another (and longer!) swim session.

Nice work on the OWS Mike. Hope tomorrow's goes just as well

2011-06-15 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Tonight the class consisted of 2 sets of 2-2 mile bike loops in between  the sets was a small run...Downside? 95 degree weather! Upside, we hit the pool afterwords! We worked on my breathing some more, and I'm going to try something a bit different: sort of what Sara suggested-- breathe in the chest more, sucking in the abs, taking more breaths rather than fewer...cause tonight after a couple of 50s, I was suckin' wind!  I'm going to try this tomorrow at the OWS--thankfully the lake will prob'ly be at a decent temp--although it will still be in the 90s, so even a cold lake will be nice!
2011-06-16 12:41 AM
in reply to: #3551674

Extreme Veteran

kgore - 2011-06-15 10:40 PM Tonight the class consisted of 2 sets of 2-2 mile bike loops in between  the sets was a small run...Downside? 95 degree weather! Upside, we hit the pool afterwords! We worked on my breathing some more, and I'm going to try something a bit different: sort of what Sara suggested-- breathe in the chest more, sucking in the abs, taking more breaths rather than fewer...cause tonight after a couple of 50s, I was suckin' wind!  I'm going to try this tomorrow at the OWS--thankfully the lake will prob'ly be at a decent temp--although it will still be in the 90s, so even a cold lake will be nice![/QUOTE)

Hope the new breathing works Kate. I need to work on mine too because I'm usually wheezing on the second part of my 50's

2011-06-16 7:48 AM

User image

Checking in for accountability purposes...got in a run yesterday and some golf...not very cardio! Today's plan is an 800 m swim with some intervals and a ST class. That's if my children will cooperate! My hubby and I are both teachers, so summers a typically EASY to fit in workouts. THis summer, my hubby is doing an internship to finish a masters and is gone from 8-5. So...hard to get out during the day. I can leave the kids for short periods (8 and 14) but biking is an issue as I don't want to be too far away and it takes more time. Working on it! Have a good one!

2011-06-16 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3551905

Extreme Veteran
nadaswimmer - 2011-06-16 7:48 AM

Checking in for accountability purposes...got in a run yesterday and some golf...not very cardio! Today's plan is an 800 m swim with some intervals and a ST class. That's if my children will cooperate! My hubby and I are both teachers, so summers a typically EASY to fit in workouts. THis summer, my hubby is doing an internship to finish a masters and is gone from 8-5. So...hard to get out during the day. I can leave the kids for short periods (8 and 14) but biking is an issue as I don't want to be too far away and it takes more time. Working on it! Have a good one!

Can the kids go biking with you or can you do loops around home and check in on them each time you pass the house?

2011-06-16 11:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I am happy to say the new breathing method worked! We hit the lake today---it was nice and cool, not cold (YAY!), so that helped, but even though I had to stop every so often and rest, the swim went really well. Best part was that it was the same distance (or very close to it) as my next race--If I keep up with practicing this (which I WILL!!!), I just might do well in that race!Laughing

Tomorrow's plan is a 12 mile (or more) bike ride...

2011-06-17 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3549454

User image

suzielea - 2011-06-14 7:33 PM

Sara - I am taking it easy - or trying to - with the running that's why the "tryout" runs are shorter than the actual plan runs. I figure if I can do those intervals during tryouts then I should be ok during the normal ones and I am - or at least no worse going on today's and MOnday's experiences.  I'm trying to do more stretching but I need to get used to the ones I need to be doing - I'm thinking I may "favorite" the video on here that has stretches for swimming, biking and running although I'm not really doing anything about the bike right now - I've sort of given up on the idea of doing a tri this year because of how much I suck at the biking, lol. May look for some of those "splash dash" races though.

Also just got back from my first official day of week 3 of the agressive c25k using the same intervals I used on Monday's "tryout run" and got 1.53 miles which is only 4 secs slower on pace than I got monday which isn't bad for going 2.5 times the distance. I think I've finally broken the "I could have walked faster" cap, lol.

Suzie...don't give up on your tri! I was in your position but with the swim my first year. Commit to riding 3 times/week and look for a tri that is a bit farther out. I did my first in Oct. It took me from June til Oct to put 500 yards together. Focus on your weakness and keep meeting the goal to "show up" for your ride. You'll get there and feel great knowing you overcame! Good luck!

2011-06-17 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3553301

User image

suzielea - 2011-06-16 7:00 PM
nadaswimmer - 2011-06-16 7:48 AM

Can the kids go biking with you or can you do loops around home and check in on them each time you pass the house?

That's a tough one...the neighborhood has too many stop signs and the kids ride too slow! (The bike is my best event!) I think today I am going to go do the 4 mile hill twice. I'll be fairly close, but will get in a HARD workout. I also finished a 3 mile run today...I don't get many of those in. The run is not my friend lately.

2011-06-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3553739

Extreme Veteran

Glad you got a run in. I'm sure it will become your friend eventually.

Me - kept the peachiness going by getting in a whole load of push ups today. I was going to run or swim but wasn't feeling too great so I ended up opting out of both. I'll probably do back to back runs this weekend to finish off week 3 though.

2011-06-17 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Did another OWS last night. this time did 600yards and felt good. sighting work is needed, but for the most part, it was a confidence builder. Zero 'panic' issues, etc. Only thing that was negative was taking in a bunch of sea water, a bit at a time. Seemed every time I took a breath, I had a bit of water with it. After a while, this is gross .

One other cool thing happening is my wife is starting to get back into swimming, and so we are heading to the pool tonight @ the Y for a swim workout. I'm also doing a run beforehand, so should be a good Friday night for training. Tomorrow AM is a good long bike, assuming the rain holds off.
2011-06-17 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

HI GROUP!!!

I haven't had a chance to follow our thread since I was busy this week.  I am going out of town for my 148 mile ride tomorrow!  I'll be able to check back in on Monday!!

Since our little group has slowed down compared to our first few days, let's think of some good discussions to keep the thread lively.  

How's the peach challenge for everyone?

2011-06-17 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Good luck w/ the ride tomorrow. A couple of folks at my office will be doing it as well.

Peach challenge is in shambles for me, but I'm trying to make up for lost time.

2011-06-17 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Sara,

Hope you have a great ride!

Here's a question for your Monday return. My left shoulder is sore I was ok for my race last Sunday. Monday morning I got in my truck and drove to Arizona so I didn't have a lot of movement and I think that helped stiffen it up. Monday night my daughter and I went to a local gym to get a workout in. I swam 1000 yards to loosen up a bit. Tuesday morning I woke up with it stiff. I've taken the week off from swimming to let it rest and taken some anti-inflamatories. It feels a little better and I'll get back in the pool Monday. I did some research to some possible causes and I found that unilateral breathing is one. I usually do that. Also, bad form. That's probably me too. Any ideas or do you think this probably covers the cause? What do you think about taking the week off? I didn't want to make it worse and then be screwed for my HIM in July. 

I also read about some exercises to do to build strength. I haven't had upper body issues so I'm trying to nip this in the bud!

Johanne

2011-06-17 11:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
I'm laying here trying to get motivated for the race 2m. Everything is packed and bike is in the jeep. I'm doing the race as a training tool. I will finish even if I have to walk the whole run. I may be DFL, or even DNF, but I will not be DNS.Well, look at that! You guys were able to motivate me without even trying. Thanks! Goodnight and see ya tomorrow.
2011-06-18 1:25 AM
in reply to: #3553889

Extreme Veteran

Mike_D - 2011-06-17 8:43 AM Did another OWS last night. this time did 600yards and felt good. sighting work is needed, but for the most part, it was a confidence builder. Zero 'panic' issues, etc. Only thing that was negative was taking in a bunch of sea water, a bit at a time. Seemed every time I took a breath, I had a bit of water with it. After a while, this is gross .

One other cool thing happening is my wife is starting to get back into swimming, and so we are heading to the pool tonight @ the Y for a swim workout. I'm also doing a run beforehand, so should be a good Friday night for training. Tomorrow AM is a good long bike, assuming the rain holds off.

I do the "breathing and getting a bit of water with it" during my pool workouts - I usually find myself doing a sort of spit out before getting my head back down to continue. Hope you have fun with the wife tonight - I'm sure you'll be a good teacher if she needs one.

Sara - good luck with the 148 mile ride. My peach challenge is going great - I'm 18/18 so far but I've been doing push ups for the days when I don't do anything else.

Johanne - good luck with the shoulder issue.

Jay - good luck with the race tomorrow. I'm sure you'll at least be DFL rather than DNF.

Me - just got back from a run/walk - w3d2 of the agressive c25k - and got 1.43 miles for a pace of 20:59. It's slower than normal but I was sort of intending that to see how it affected the overall workout which went well during both the run segments and after I finished.

Sara - I see Johanne has posted about strength training - and I want to work on that myself - beyond just the push ups - so why not a discussion on that?

2011-06-19 7:44 AM

Extreme Veteran

No peaches today unless you count some random stretching I did after my meeting which followed some of the moves used in our "warm up drill" for our arms drill.

I'm part of a living history unit that does American Civil War Navy - mostly confedarate right now.

2011-06-19 9:39 AM

User image

Happy Father's Day to the dads out there! I missed out on the Saturday workout. 40 people for a picnic did not leave me much time for anything but food and cleaning...I did break several sweats rushing around all day!

Today, I will get in a swim and a run. I hope to start my week off with a double workout to help when the unexpected comes up (and it always does!). A bike would be nice, but since I will ride with the Monday group again and it's usually long, I'll save my legs for that ride.

Sara...I'm going to attempt to get in 3 swims each week...one long, one with intervals and one with form drills. Does that sound about right? I am weakest on the drills as I have never done any. I think you sent me a link a while back for a good site. Can you send it again? I have it saved on my work computer and don't have access to it. Thanks!

2011-06-20 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Sara - how was the B2B? Guy here @ work did it and said it was tough, but a good ride. Took him 8:30 or so to complete. Best beer you ever had at the end?

I managed to get myself on the bike this AM and ride for 40 minutes. Felt GREAT!! Why have I been so lazy and missing this recently? Sheesh...

realized last night I have a race in less than a week. I reallly need to get my head outta my butt and in the game. Off to another OWS tonight, followed by a run. Race on Sunday won't be the kick butt event I was hoping it would be, but it won't be awful. Will certainly be a full day, though. I'm doing the race, then off to a graduation party for a neice, then taking the family (wife, 2 daughters) to see Taylor Swift at the local football stadium, along with 60,000 others. I'm going to need my energy!!

2011-06-20 6:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

So I survived my trip to Europe AND actually managed to exercise each day while I was over there -- the peach run remains in tact (thanks again Sara!!!).  I've actually ran 7 of the past 8 days and it's amazing to see the impact.  Feel like the legs are finally strengthening and getting better with each day.  Unfortunately, supect when I hit the pool and bike tomorrow I'll notice the other two disciplines have regressed!!!!!

Let's hear about the races / big rides from over the weekend.

2011-06-20 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3554763

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-17 4:18 PM

Sara,

Hope you have a great ride!

Here's a question for your Monday return. My left shoulder is sore I was ok for my race last Sunday. Monday morning I got in my truck and drove to Arizona so I didn't have a lot of movement and I think that helped stiffen it up. Monday night my daughter and I went to a local gym to get a workout in. I swam 1000 yards to loosen up a bit. Tuesday morning I woke up with it stiff. I've taken the week off from swimming to let it rest and taken some anti-inflamatories. It feels a little better and I'll get back in the pool Monday. I did some research to some possible causes and I found that unilateral breathing is one. I usually do that. Also, bad form. That's probably me too. Any ideas or do you think this probably covers the cause? What do you think about taking the week off? I didn't want to make it worse and then be screwed for my HIM in July. 

I also read about some exercises to do to build strength. I haven't had upper body issues so I'm trying to nip this in the bud!

Johanne

Johanne, if you can't get the pain to go away with rest and anti-inflam meds then def get to the doctor (or, physical therapist if you can go without a referral!).  It's just easier to nip something in the bud right away then let the pain linger.  Where in your shoulder does it hurt?  Is it in the front right above your arm pit?  Is it in the back along the blade?  Typically, overuse injuries occur from bad form, so have someone peak at your technique from above water AND underwater.  I get tendonitis every once in a while and it just goes away on its own, but strength training does wonders for getting pain to go away-just make sure you get it checked out before trying ST.

2011-06-20 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3555266

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-06-18 2:25 AM

Sara - I see Johanne has posted about strength training - and I want to work on that myself - beyond just the push ups - so why not a discussion on that?

Good idea, Suzanne!

Anyone here want to chime in on their strength training plans?

Besides push ups, I like to do "scap ups".  Get in push up position and let your chest/body sink through your scapulas (your arms stay put, just your body sinks towards the floor) and then push back up.  I also like to do "rowing" exercises.  Your basic military press, biceps curls, triceps extensions are a good idea.  There are rotator cuff exercises where you keep your elbow at your side and extent your forearm away from your body.  

Besides the above exercises, it's nice to work with cables, kettle bells and other equipment that challenges your stability through the motion.

What does everyone else say?

2011-06-20 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3556312

User image

Master
Dunedin
nadaswimmer - 2011-06-19 10:39 AM

Sara...I'm going to attempt to get in 3 swims each week...one long, one with intervals and one with form drills. Does that sound about right? I am weakest on the drills as I have never done any. I think you sent me a link a while back for a good site. Can you send it again? I have it saved on my work computer and don't have access to it. Thanks!

Laura, 

Three swims/week is a really good minimum commitment.  I like your idea of having one with long distances and one with intervals.  I'd throw in the form drills during those swims rather than make it it's own day.  If you were swimming twice/day I'd say, sure, make one swim more drill focused, but I think you'd benefit more from doing, say 200 yards of drills each swim, then wait to focus on it once/week.

What distance are you planning on swimming?  Has anyone looked at your form before?  What is your pace/100 yards/meters?  What times/distance goals do you have for your swims?

Maybe for your third swim each week you can do a ladder so that you get interval work AND distance in.  It can be done in all sorts of ways, but for example:

25 easy, 25 hard

50 easy, 25 hard

75 easy, 25 hard

100 easy, 25 hard

125 easy, 25 hard

150 easy, 25 hard

175 easy, 25 hard

200 easy, 25 hard

You can choose to rest @ 15 seconds after each 25 hard or you can try to swim straight through.  Let me know if you need other suggestions for workouts!

For drills...those should be "prescribed" based on your technique.  For most triathletes, though, I think "catch up" drill is really important.  When one hand enters the water it taps the hand that's out in front before you begin the next drill.  You can do this with one arm at a time (ALL FOLKS IN THE GROUP SHOULD INCORPORATE ONE ARM DRILLS INTO THEIR SWIMMING!!!) where your left arm stays straight out in front and you just pull with your right arm and you make sure to tap the left hand with each pull.

Another drill I like: "fist drill".  Just close your fist as you swim (I just typed "fish" several times trying to type that sentence out, ugh!). You develop a better feel for the water.

Lastly: "okay" drill.  Make the "okay" symbol with your hands as you swim.  The "O" your thumb and pointer finger makes should pull down the center of your body, like you're climbing a rope.

Let me know if I can help more!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72