General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-19 7:54 AM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by diablo243
So question for my experienced triathletes. I have opted to wear a tri suit for sprint distance races, for those of you who have worn them, do you opt for numbers pinned on under wetsuit or race number belt in transition?

I'm not experienced with wetsuits, but your question twigged the logical side of my brain (thanks for the early AM migraine, lol!). To me it wouldn't make sense to pin numbers on under a wetsuit because of the possibility of chafing through the material and chafing skin (both due to the tightness of said wetsuit) and the possibility of getting caught while the suit is being removed. Granted all 3 scenarios most likely have a very low probability of happening, but I'd still not want to risk a torn wetsuit, trisuit or abraded skin...

Just my $.02

2014-06-19 8:08 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Happy Thursday morning y'all! So big interview for me today at Citizens Bank in Providence RI. Send some good vibes my way, this would be the dream job for me, oh and it's in IT not banking.

Thanks for all the feedback on race numbers, I think I'll opt for my race belt instead of pinning, don't want holes in my purty new tri suit!

1 final plug/plea/beg as time is running out I will again remind all my fellow clydes/athenas that I am running the 2014 Run to Home Base charity 9K in Boston. In 2014 every 65 minutes a veteran commits suicide. That is an average of 22 veterans per day that are lost, many due to an inability to cope with PTSD, traumatic brain injury, deployment-related stress both combat and non-combat, either because they don’t have access to help or because they feel they will be ostracized for seeking help. The Run To Home Base Foundation is looking to change this horrific statistic and provides support and services for Vets of Iraq and Afghan war suffering from PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injury. This is a WONDERFUL cause and I know we all have them, but this particular one is my cross to bear. If you can spare anything at all, $5, $10, $20 please consider doing so! Thank you all so much

http://www.runtohomebase.org/2014RunToHomeBase/pmcherrick
2014-06-19 8:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I hate to post twice... but I have a question or two about training schedules. I'm setting up a custom training plan to help myself prepare for RiverBluff in September. I only have 11 weeks, so the cookie cutter plans will not work.

My first question is about volume. The race is 400M, 15Mi, 3.4Mi. I know I'm weak on the run, but I'm thinking of training for 1000Yd, 20Mi, 3.4Mi since my swim and bike levels are okay. So I guess question #1 is: Would that be overtraining, or is it a good idea to train for that much more distance than required for the race? Bear in mind that I'm planning on sticking with 2-3 Sprints next year, and look at the possibility of an Oly in 2016. *edit* Also, I am already capable of those distances individually.

My other question is about training style. So far all my training has been to go out and just do it. Of course, the C25K plan for the run is structured. Also I do 6 sets of 3min hammer session intervals on the bike. Does anyone have any additional ideas? Please remember that I'm locked on the C25K simply because I'm trying to build that base (yet again) without trying to reinjure myself.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-06-19 8:18 AM
2014-06-19 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

I hate to post twice... but I have a question or two about training schedules. I'm setting up a custom training plan to help myself prepare for RiverBluff in September. I only have 11 weeks, so the cookie cutter plans will not work.

My first question is about volume. The race is 400M, 15Mi, 3.4Mi. I know I'm weak on the run, but I'm thinking of training for 1000Yd, 20Mi, 3.4Mi since my swim and bike levels are okay. So I guess question #1 is: Would that be overtraining, or is it a good idea to train for that much more distance than required for the race? Bear in mind that I'm planning on sticking with 2-3 Sprints next year, and look at the possibility of an Oly in 2016. *edit* Also, I am already capable of those distances individually.

My other question is about training style. So far all my training has been to go out and just do it. Of course, the C25K plan for the run is structured. Also I do 6 sets of 3min hammer session intervals on the bike. Does anyone have any additional ideas? Please remember that I'm locked on the C25K simply because I'm trying to build that base (yet again) without trying to reinjure myself.

Well Depends on your goals. If you can over train the distances you will be fresher after each one. Sprint works well for that. Remember many sprint tris its like you are starting the 5k run after running 5 miles.

If you get good at the distances above I bet you could do an oly or not be far off.

IF you can jump into a good plan in the middle that is ok too if you are trained up to that point. I tell people who run a spring half marathon and then train in the summer for a marathon not to start at 6 miles. start at 10. You can always run 10 until the others catch up or just be that far ahead. More endurance you have in an endurance sport the more fun you will have.

2014-06-19 9:50 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Good news I tried it last night the wet suit fits. I am very excited about that. Bad news I am so worried I will break it. I like the little kid in christmas story. If I fall down I am not sure I will be able to get back up.

This is the first and last race I plan to race at this weight so if all goes well this should be a non issue in the future.
2014-06-19 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by chirunner134 Good news I tried it last night the wet suit fits. I am very excited about that. Bad news I am so worried I will break it. I like the little kid in christmas story. If I fall down I am not sure I will be able to get back up. This is the first and last race I plan to race at this weight so if all goes well this should be a non issue in the future.

Sorry, that made me laugh. That is a terrible and funny image from that movie. Now I have fears myself for when I have to don my orca-costume. The only thing to do is NOT fall down.

2014-06-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

As far as training, I am doing sprints most likely the rest of the year, but I am thinking of trying an OLY in sept. Thus I have been doing oly training, and actually might start increasing it some as the one in sept I am eyeing also has a 1/3rd Iron Man.

I am thinking that could be something cool to accomplish
2014-06-19 12:03 PM

User image

Originally posted by chirunner134
Well Depends on your goals. If you can over train the distances you will be fresher after each one. Sprint works well for that. Remember many sprint tris its like you are starting the 5k run after running 5 miles.

Really, my goals for this year are really simple. 1) Get a decent base level of fitness in each discipline. I'm comfortable on the bike to about 25 miles @15mph already. Swimming has surprised me since I can do 1500yds (pool) and have gas left in the tank (3:00ish/100). Running, however, is my achilles heel (should there be a pun intended?). I'm good for 12:00 miles so long as I can stay uninjured. 2) Run a couple of sprints, and just get used to everything.

Next year I want to add a 3rd sprint with the goals of staying healthy, losing weight and setting PRs in the two events I'm running this year. On a side note, with Harrah's closing down in Tunica, I'm curious as to what the venue for the Memphis in May series (10K, Sprint, Oly) will be.

In 2016 I want to change the Riverbluff from Sprint to Oly with the plan of eventually running the HIM. I chose that race for that reason, plus my wife's family is just south of Nashville so it all works out.

As far as training for longer distances on the swim and bike, the plan is absolutely to be fresher after each leg. The 440yd at MIM made me look 20 years older (lol!) and I was shaking like a leaf from exhaustion thru T1. The bike was ok... I calmed down and actually felt good, but I avg'd under 15mph since I had no way to track myself (cycloputer is next after clipless setup) and I had plenty of energy to limp 3 miles . I honestly believe I would have had a sub-39:00 time on the 5k.
2014-06-19 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4916495

User image

Am I the only one that feels so lazy the week before a race because the training is so scaled back so you can rest
2014-06-20 8:45 AM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Well first off, GOT MY NEW JOB!!! Woohoo so will be going into this weekend not only clear minded but with renewed vigor!!!!

Ok now that I am done patting myself on the back, yes taper week is frustrating to say the least but oh so important! I have a light pool workout today and once I start my taper workout I have to fight with myself to stay on task.
2014-06-20 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ECS49 Am I the only one that feels so lazy the week before a race because the training is so scaled back so you can rest

taper crazy! I have heard of it. I would experience it if I ever actually did all the training I should!

2014-06-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

New user

Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

NAME / username: JoAnn / turtlestampede

STORY: I have been overweight my whole life.  Watched both my parents and my older sister die from diabetic complications and obesity (my sister was 52).  So, at 47 years of age I decided to do something.  I figured if I was going to live past 70 and have quality of life, then I needed to do something different (I had yo-yo'd for years, but never lost it and kept it off).  So I opted for bariatric surgery, I had a VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy).  It was the best and most difficult decision I have ever made.   I am no longer arguing with my doctor about starting insulin, I am completely off all medications for my co-morbidities (diabetes, HBP, high cholesterol), and I don't need a C-Pap machine anymore.  

I decided that if I was going to keep the weight off this time, I would need to focus on something that would help me keep my body moving. Initially I took up biking.  I participated in the Aids Life Cycle event (545miles) last year and this year.  I also decided to sign up for and do an IronMan triathlon.  Extreme events challenge me and force me to be more diligent.  If I don’t have a stretch goal, I will likely just sit on the couch and nothing in my life would change.

I've been a lurker on this forum for months and have learned a lot.  Mostly that I am not alone when it comes to some of my insecurities.  There are others who are at the same pacing I am (and still race), but most importantly to not give up.  I still haven't found the joy in exercising. "constantly", but I am hoping that I will after I get a few races under my belt.  

This weekend is my first Tri race, EVER!  I am doing the Rev3 Oly in Wisconsin Dells.  This will be my third OWS if I get there in time for the practice swim tomorrow.  My first OWS was awful.  The water was so choppy I thought I might drown.  But I was told it wasn’t good conditions for my first OWS and that I would be fine, let’s hope.

FAMILY STATUS: Co-Habitating with my life partner. We have a very loving black lab puppy of 7 months.  He is no longer little, but still cute as ever and his name is Rudy (short for Rudolf Valentino, he really is a mush bucket).

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for the IMWI with entries into the Rev3 Oly and Door County HIM as training races.  I am following a hybrid plan from my coach, this site and a group that I signed up with.  I do not train with the group because it is too much pressure to keep up with them and furthermore I simply can’t.  That makes me feel less than, so I don’t train with them anymore.  But I do look at their plans and work with my coach to, hopefully be in the right place come September.

2013 RACES/ results:

ALC 2013 – Rode my bike from San Francisco to LA (all 545 miles)

2014 plans and RACES: 

ALC 2014 – Completed 200/545 miles, due to dehydration and illness.

Rev3 Oly – June 22

Door County HIM – July 20

IronMan WI – Sept. 7

WEIGHTLOSS:  85 pounds since surgery.  I have plans to lose the last 25-30 pounds slowly over the next few years.

2014-06-20 9:53 AM
in reply to: turtlestampede

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Holy crap, you my friend are seriously hardcore and get a free pass! No daunting questions or test for you to pass, I have put IM FL on my goal list for 2017, I can't even imagine just jumping in at that level. If you are blogging or tracking your journey, please let me know where to read, I want to follow!

Welcome!
2014-06-20 9:58 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by turtlestampede

STORY: I have been overweight my whole life.  Watched both my parents and my older sister die from diabetic complications and obesity (my sister was 52).  So, at 47 years of age I decided to do something.  I figured if I was going to live past 70 and have quality of life, then I needed to do something different (I had yo-yo'd for years, but never lost it and kept it off).  So I opted for bariatric surgery, I had a VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy).  It was the best and most difficult decision I have ever made.   I am no longer arguing with my doctor about starting insulin, I am completely off all medications for my co-morbidities (diabetes, HBP, high cholesterol), and I don't need a C-Pap machine anymore.  

I decided that if I was going to keep the weight off this time, I would need to focus on something that would help me keep my body moving. Initially I took up biking.  I participated in the Aids Life Cycle event (545miles) last year and this year.  I also decided to sign up for and do an IronMan triathlon.  Extreme events challenge me and force me to be more diligent.  If I don’t have a stretch goal, I will likely just sit on the couch and nothing in my life would change.

I've been a lurker on this forum for months and have learned a lot.  Mostly that I am not alone when it comes to some of my insecurities.  There are others who are at the same pacing I am (and still race), but most importantly to not give up.  I still haven't found the joy in exercising. "constantly", but I am hoping that I will after I get a few races under my belt.  

This weekend is my first Tri race, EVER!  I am doing the Rev3 Oly in Wisconsin Dells.  This will be my third OWS if I get there in time for the practice swim tomorrow.  My first OWS was awful.  The water was so choppy I thought I might drown.  But I was told it wasn’t good conditions for my first OWS and that I would be fine, let’s hope.

FAMILY STATUS: Co-Habitating with my life partner. We have a very loving black lab puppy of 7 months.  He is no longer little, but still cute as ever and his name is Rudy (short for Rudolf Valentino, he really is a mush bucket).

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for the IMWI with entries into the Rev3 Oly and Door County HIM as training races.  I am following a hybrid plan from my coach, this site and a group that I signed up with.  I do not train with the group because it is too much pressure to keep up with them and furthermore I simply can’t.  That makes me feel less than, so I don’t train with them anymore.  But I do look at their plans and work with my coach to, hopefully be in the right place come September.

2013 RACES/ results:

2014 plans and RACES: 

Rev3 Oly – June 22

IronMan WI – Sept. 7

WEIGHTLOSS:  85 pounds since surgery.  I have plans to lose the last 25-30 pounds slowly over the next few years.

WOW, just WOW! I hope you give up on feeling less than anydamthing. You humble me, no need to EVER feel less than anything ever!

Awesome changes to you life and an awesome goal. Welcome to our group.

2014-06-20 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by diablo243 Well first off, GOT MY NEW JOB!!! Woohoo so will be going into this weekend not only clear minded but with renewed vigor!!!! Ok now that I am done patting myself on the back, yes taper week is frustrating to say the least but oh so important! I have a light pool workout today and once I start my taper workout I have to fight with myself to stay on task.

Congratulations on the new job!

2014-06-20 10:34 AM

User image

New user

Madison, Wisconsin

I forgot to include a 5k and a Half Marathon for my 2013 races.

2014-06-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: #5015077

User image

Literally just finished my swim and sitting in front of this pool wanting to get back in.

Good news, the ocra top fits and is nice to swim in!
2014-06-20 11:44 AM
in reply to: #5015343

User image

Btw congrats on the new job!
2014-06-20 12:08 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut

I forgot to include a 5k and a Half Marathon for my 2013 races.

Now you're just braggin
2014-06-20 12:09 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Originally posted by ECS49

Literally just finished my swim and sitting in front of this pool wanting to get back in.

Good news, the ocra top fits and is nice to swim in!

Awesome on the ORCA top, I just got a Perl Izumi Elit etri suit for $30 with tags in xl and it fits perfect!

Thanks all for the congrats, big career move for me, I can't wait!!!!!
2014-06-20 5:05 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Your training levels looks ok, although I'd consider upping the swim and the run. I'm assuming the swim training is in the pool. In order to get better on open water swimming, you need to train in open water. This is difficult for many of us, as the opportunities are fewer. Some of the issues in OWS are sighting, anxiety (can't see the black line", dark water, crowds, can't see the bottom, etc). The key to the run training is to include brick work outs. Practice that bike to run transition. The legs are going to feel different off the bike. Even if you bike for 10, get right off the bike and into a run for a mile or 2.

In response to style, I mix up my training with distance, tempo, drills and intensity. Not only does this keep it fresh, it also helps build endurance, speed and strength.

2014-06-20 5:18 PM
in reply to: #5015346

User image

So, I'm thinking of upgrading bike, shhhhhhh, wife may kill me. Only if I can find a good deal, any experts in here? If I stumble upon something and post it here would someone know if it's a good deal and if it's a good bike? Tr
2014-06-20 6:32 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by ECS49

Am I the only one that feels so lazy the week before a race because the training is so scaled back so you can rest

No, I'm racing tomorrow and have felt really lazy this week. Hopefully I didn't "over-taper". Doesn't help that I went to a concert last night and am draggin' today.
2014-06-20 6:34 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Well first off, GOT MY NEW JOB!!! Woohoo so will be going into this weekend not only clear minded but with renewed vigor!!!!

Ok now that I am done patting myself on the back, yes taper week is frustrating to say the least but oh so important! I have a light pool workout today and once I start my taper workout I have to fight with myself to stay on task.

Congrats! Best of luck in the new job!
2014-06-20 6:37 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ

2013 RACES/ results:

2014 plans and RACES: 

Rev3 Oly – June 22

IronMan WI – Sept. 7

Welcome Joann! Holy cow, you've got a lot on your plate! It looks like a great plan and I can't wait to hear your stories of success! Best of luck at Rev3 this weekend!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28162 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100350 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?