BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-03-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1296962

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS

To our dedicated core:

Dee, Amy of CA, Amy of IN, Eric, Pam and Julie,

There is a really good fellow that I met through BT last fall that I believe will be a great addition to our group.  We have gelled as wonderful friends and supports and with a couple of folks who have faded away; it is – in my opinion – time to open our door to a few new members.  My recommendation for the first is Greg from Houston, otherwise known as “mman,” he has been on my friend list since the first week I signed on.  He is putting a great deal of effort to get back into shape after some stressful months off.  Julie already knows Greg and has been touched by his decency and courage already.

Here is a link to a video about the Tri he did for his wife last year.  I know he will be a great new member of the group.  He is a man of great strength and character.  He will be there for us and we will be here for him…

www.artistamedia.com/media/sjohnsontriathlon.wmv

I will let each of you get to know Greg yourselves over the coming weeks but I am sure you will all enjoy his addition to our great group.  So, please add “mman” to our list and welcome him to our group.

More to come,

Emerson

PS:  I don't know how to do those neat links like Dee does so whoever can, please do so I can add his name to my goal page... mman - Greg

Edited by etknowles 2008-03-27 1:25 PM

2008-03-27 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Hi Everyone!

Greg here! I wanted to introduce myself and to let you know what a privilege it is to be included with you. As Emerson said, he and I've become friends through the boards and have some similar life challenges.  Some of you have seen my story and postings, but long and short is that my wife has terminal cancer. This sport saved my life. After her recurrence, we were told she'd have 8 months. That's when I discovered triathlon and did my first in Sept 2006. My 2nd was 1 year ago. Then, the idea for holding a race in Stephanie's honor came up. At that event, we netted about $37,000 that we gave for cancer research, to some support groups and to some families who were currently in the battle. Giving to the families was the coolest part. In the video, you'll not only see Stephanie complete her first triathlon (2.5 years after recurrence) but if you see 3 kids who keep ending up on the screen (boy 12 blue shirt, boy 10 no shirt and girl 8 blond hair black w/green swimsuit) you'll see my kids too.

On Saturday, my 12 year old will do his first full sprint in Galveston (500m ows/12.5 mi/ 3.2 mi). We did a swim last weekend with some others, so he knows what to expect. On Sunday, I'm doing a 1/4 IM - my first longer than a sprint and only my 3rd race overall. Last season was spent learning how to direct a race so I did a lot of volunteering and no racing. I love volunteering and directing, but I'm glad to be back on the other side of the fence.

On Monday, my wife and I are leaving for wine country. The Dream Foundation (Make-A-Wish for terminally ill adults) is sending us. We are so excited. We'll be gone for 5 days. Then, 8 days later on April 12/13 I'm riding from Houston to Austin (180 miles) in the MS150 raising money for MS research.  

That's about as far out as my calendar goes right now!! I look forward to knowing you all better. 

Tri until there's a cure,

Greg

www.TriUntilTheresACure.org 

2008-03-27 5:43 PM
in reply to: #1298271

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
mman - 2008-03-27 2:03 PM

Hi Everyone!

Greg here! I wanted to introduce myself and to let you know what a privilege it is to be included with you. As Emerson said, he and I've become friends through the boards and have some similar life challenges.  Some of you have seen my story and postings, but long and short is that my wife has terminal cancer. This sport saved my life. After her recurrence, we were told she'd have 8 months. That's when I discovered triathlon and did my first in Sept 2006. My 2nd was 1 year ago. Then, the idea for holding a race in Stephanie's honor came up. At that event, we netted about $37,000 that we gave for cancer research, to some support groups and to some families who were currently in the battle. Giving to the families was the coolest part. In the video, you'll not only see Stephanie complete her first triathlon (2.5 years after recurrence) but if you see 3 kids who keep ending up on the screen (boy 12 blue shirt, boy 10 no shirt and girl 8 blond hair black w/green swimsuit) you'll see my kids too.

On Saturday, my 12 year old will do his first full sprint in Galveston (500m ows/12.5 mi/ 3.2 mi). We did a swim last weekend with some others, so he knows what to expect. On Sunday, I'm doing a 1/4 IM - my first longer than a sprint and only my 3rd race overall. Last season was spent learning how to direct a race so I did a lot of volunteering and no racing. I love volunteering and directing, but I'm glad to be back on the other side of the fence.

On Monday, my wife and I are leaving for wine country. The Dream Foundation (Make-A-Wish for terminally ill adults) is sending us. We are so excited. We'll be gone for 5 days. Then, 8 days later on April 12/13 I'm riding from Houston to Austin (180 miles) in the MS150 raising money for MS research.  

That's about as far out as my calendar goes right now!! I look forward to knowing you all better. 

Tri until there's a cure,

Greg

www.TriUntilTheresACure.org 

Hey Greg...small world...I know that we too have passed a few emails...if you ever do another Stephanie race...I would love to participate...I am a 23 year survivor and thank God for every day here. You also live in my old stomping grounds...I grew up in West University and Meyerland area. My parents live in SugarLand and so I visit quite often...I don't know how you guys can train in that heat! My hat is off to you!!! I am sooo sorry about your wife...sounds like a great trip and I know that you are very thankful to the wonderful non-profit that is sending you. I wish I would have known and would have told you to come and spend another day or two in San Francisco....could have shown you all around. I used to be an event planner and know the area upside down and backwards....and have a really great one day tour of all the biggest and best sites. Hope you have a great trip. Welcome to our group...you are getting involved with a great group of people, and already I feel very honored to know you! Have a great trip and if you get a wild hare and want that tour I spoke of send me a PM and we can sure see what we can do....happy travels..and I will pray for your wife to find a cure. Take care. Julie

2008-03-27 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Welcome Greg.  You'll find that pretty much our entire group are either survivors or the family members of survivors.  I can't imagine what you and your entire family must be going thru.  I was diagnosed with Hodkins Lymphoma at 31 and saw the effect it had on my young children (3&5).  You and your family have found an inspirational way to deal with the tragedy that has come into your life.  Your wife sounds like an amazing fighter and we're all happy to have you join our group.
2008-03-27 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1296034

User image

Champion
Taser-World
medic0020 - 2008-03-26 6:42 PM

I'm back...my nose is a freakin' fountain of snot today....

Um. Er. I don't think I really needed to picture this....

• ... I've got my first sprint of the season this Saturday and I'm looking forward to it. Karen is doing her first ever sprint so I think she's pretty nervous about it. She'll do great though.

• Good luck to you and to Karen!

2008-03-27 8:24 PM
    in reply to: #1298271

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    Hi Greg, and WELCOME to the group!

It's 9:25 PM and I'm still at work, so I'll keep this greeting short. I'll write more of a "welcoming message" when I get a chance (probably tomorrow evening).

Also, I'll update the group's "list" so that it includes your name. (That's the sparkly pink one that some of us have on our blogs -- and the nonsparkly blue one that "manly men" like Eric have.)

(Hahahaha. I couldn't resist picking on Eric. )

- Dee

2008-03-27 9:12 PM

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin

WELCOME GREG!  We are so excited to have you as part of our group.  I hope you find us as entertaining and motivating as I do.

As for updates with me: I got my cap and gown for graduation on May 18th...talk about scary!  It is only like 6 weeks away   I am on schedule for a perfect training month for March...only a few days left.  I am so glad this week is over...the first week back after spring break really bites.  But tomorrow is Friday.

Well back to my pizza and reading....life as a college student never ends...or does it?  

2008-03-28 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Welcome Greg and it's great to have a fellow motivator. I have been sick this week, but will be back in the game next week for sure. I hope I can be a support to you in life and training...

Hello to all my fellow BT'ers... I am back today if the coughing stays calm...

See Ya...

Love from Indiana...Amy
    2008-03-28 9:45 AM
    in reply to: #1298662

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California

medic0020 - 2008-03-27 4:58 PM Welcome Greg.  You'll find that pretty much our entire group are either survivors or the family members of survivors.  I can't imagine what you and your entire family must be going thru.  I was diagnosed with Hodkins Lymphoma at 31 and saw the effect it had on my young children (3&5).  You and your family have found an inspirational way to deal with the tragedy that has come into your life.  Your wife sounds like an amazing fighter and we're all happy to have you join our group.

Wow Eric, I had no idea you were a hodgkins survivor....that took my DH's little brother right before I was diagnosed. He passed away a junior in college....so CONGRATS...glad you were able to beat it!! YAY~!

2008-03-28 9:48 AM
    in reply to: #1298828

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California

Well back to my pizza and reading....life as a college student never ends...or does it?  

that would be a yes.....Sounds like you will be graduating soon missy! CONGRATS! what is your major?

2008-03-28 9:50 AM
    in reply to: #1299239

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2008-03-28 6:04 AM Welcome Greg and it's great to have a fellow motivator. I have been sick this week, but will be back in the game next week for sure. I hope I can be a support to you in life and training... Hello to all my fellow BT'ers... I am back today if the coughing stays calm... See Ya... Love from Indiana...Amy

feel better Amy...our bestest cheerleader around!!! take care of yourself and get over that cough! thinking good healing thoughts for you.

2008-03-28 10:11 AM
    in reply to: #1298662

User image

Expert
    Spring (Houston), TX
    Thanks for the kind words. I lost my mom to non-hodgkins lymphoma in '89 - she was 46 so this isn't my first time through this, though I'm much closer to it now. Seeing people like you, Julie and the others who beat their disease is what keeps us going. Every drug was a miracle drug for someone.
    2008-03-28 10:13 AM
    in reply to: #1298828

User image

Expert
    Spring (Houston), TX
    crea0029 - 2008-03-27 9:12 PM

WELCOME GREG! We are so excited to have you as part of our group. I hope you find us as entertaining and motivating as I do.

As for updates with me: I got my cap and gown for graduation on May 18th...talk about scary! It is only like 6 weeks away I am on schedule for a perfect training month for March...only a few days left. I am so glad this week is over...the first week back after spring break really bites. But tomorrow is Friday.

When I finished my first degree, I knew I wanted another. When I finished that one and talked about a third, my wife said if I got it, it would be as a single man. lol Yes, college does end... then you'll wish you were back there! Enjoy every moment.

2008-03-28 10:14 AM
    in reply to: #1299533

Extreme Veteran
    El Cajon, Ca
    Welcome to the group, Greg. You have found a great bunch of people here.

2008-03-28 11:33 AM
    in reply to: #1299538

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin
    mman - 2008-03-28 10:13 AM
    crea0029 - 2008-03-27 9:12 PM

WELCOME GREG! We are so excited to have you as part of our group. I hope you find us as entertaining and motivating as I do.

As for updates with me: I got my cap and gown for graduation on May 18th...talk about scary! It is only like 6 weeks away I am on schedule for a perfect training month for March...only a few days left. I am so glad this week is over...the first week back after spring break really bites. But tomorrow is Friday.

When I finished my first degree, I knew I wanted another. When I finished that one and talked about a third, my wife said if I got it, it would be as a single man. lol Yes, college does end... then you'll wish you were back there! Enjoy every moment.

Thanks Greg...I'll keep that in mind as I finish up these last few weeks.  It feels like such a big transition between college and the real world...kind of scary actually.  Again, welcome to the group! 

2008-03-28 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
    Charlotte, NC
    Now the key Pam is to find a job that will pay you to train once you finish college!  Do that and you'll truely be a success   Well, you'd be a success around here anyway!

2008-03-28 12:11 PM
    in reply to: #1299841

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin

medic0020 - 2008-03-28 11:57 AM Now the key Pam is to find a job that will pay you to train once you finish college! Do that and you'll truely be a success Well, you'd be a success around here anyway!

That is the major problem of the month...a job...and what a stress it is.  I am just not sure what I want to do with my life...professional slow triathlete?? 

2008-03-28 4:03 PM

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin

I'm in a post happy mood today and just got back from my workout and need to share...

Three years ago I never dreamed I would feel this way...three years ago I couldn't run, didn't swim much, and wouldn't even think of going for a bike ride for fun...but that has all changed.

I never thought I would feel this strong, this healthy, this motivated to be successful and keep myself in shape. I never thought a 4 mile run or mile in the pool would feel easy and that maybe the dream of an Ironman might not be a dream after all. Thank you for all the motivation each and every day. I have had a perfect training month and am just 112 days away from my first half ironman...I have confidence I never thought possible...all because I tri.

Edited by crea0029 2008-03-28 4:04 PM
    2008-03-28 5:50 PM
    in reply to: #1300596

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ
    crea0029 - 2008-03-28 3:03 PM

I'm in a post happy mood today and just got back from my workout and need to share...

Three years ago I never dreamed I would feel this way...three years ago I couldn't run, didn't swim much, and wouldn't even think of going for a bike ride for fun...but that has all changed.

I never thought I would feel this strong, this healthy, this motivated to be successful and keep myself in shape. I never thought a 4 mile run or mile in the pool would feel easy and that maybe the dream of an Ironman might not be a dream after all. Thank you for all the motivation each and every day. I have had a perfect training month and am just 112 days away from my first half ironman...I have confidence I never thought possible...all because I tri.

You should be a motivational speaker.  That is a wonderful statement about your own personal growth and you should be VERY proud.  Now, go and take the world by storm.  It is yours to conquer...      Emerson

2008-03-28 8:07 PM
    in reply to: #1300778

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin
    etknowles - 2008-03-28 5:50 PM

You should be a motivational speaker. That is a wonderful statement about your own personal growth and you should be VERY proud. Now, go and take the world by storm. It is yours to conquer... Emerson

Thanks Emerson... motivational speaking...maybe I should go into that   

2008-03-28 8:10 PM
    in reply to: #1300596

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    crea0029 - 2008-03-28 2:03 PM

you go girl!!! you have been working hard...time to go shine at that HM!! I have no doubts that you will breeze right thru it!!

2008-03-28 8:11 PM
    in reply to: #1299542

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California

abud7373 - 2008-03-28 8:14 AM Welcome to the group, Greg. You have found a great bunch of people here.

What up? Chuck!? me GNARLY HEAD? have you heard of that? my newest fav! How them there legs?

2008-03-29 11:28 AM
    in reply to: #1297773

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    etknowles - 2008-03-27 2:23 PM
    PS: I don't know how to do those neat links like Dee does so whoever can, please do so I can add his name to my goal page... mman - Greg

Give me about 15 min.

2008-03-29 11:38 AM
    in reply to: #1300937

Extreme Veteran
    El Cajon, Ca
    Girl Passing on Left - 2008-03-28 6:11 PM

abud7373 - 2008-03-28 8:14 AM Welcome to the group, Greg. You have found a great bunch of people here.

What up? Chuck!? me GNARLY HEAD? have you heard of that? my newest fav! How them there legs?

No Chuck for me, usually not when the hubby is home. I like to enjoy him alone . What does that say about me?

The legs are in need of some runnin'. I put in a request on the challenge forum, that if you and beth are on the same team, I would like to be on that one too.

Gnarly Head, that is funny.

2008-03-29 12:04 PM
    in reply to: #1301394

User image

Champion
    Taser-World

I've made some changes to the Group list.
    1) If you click the top "Medic0020's Mentor Group" link, it should bring you directly here.
    2) I alphabetized (I think!) the links. (Well, I left Eric up top, since it IS his group. But everyone else was alphabetized by BT name.)
    3) I left Nathan and Chris on the list, but moved them to the bottom - since we haven't heard from them in a long time.

OK, here we go.... Ta da!

Shiny, Sparkly Pink Group Links:

Medic0020's Mentor Group

Medic0020 - Eric
    abud7373 - Amy
    amy mutz - Amy
    crea0029 - Pam
    D001 - Dee
    etknowles - Emerson
    Girl Passing On Left - Julie
    mman - Greg
    stilltri-ing - Mike
    erlifeguard - Chris
    ngrant - Nathan

Non-Shiny, Non-Sparkly Blue Group Links:

Medic0020's Mentor Group

Medic0020 - Eric
    abud7373 - Amy
    amy mutz - Amy
    crea0029 - Pam
    D001 - Dee
    etknowles - Emerson
    Girl Passing On Left - Julie
    mman - Greg
    stilltri-ing - Mike
    erlifeguard - Chris
    ngrant - Nathan

Edited by D001 2008-03-29 12:08 PM
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73