BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-03-08 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1260593

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
Les -- Is your wetsuit one of those black shiny ones that fit like a second skin? You are counting down the days now,huh? You go sistah!

~Lynn

2008-03-08 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Reuben...hmmm ....oh yea! Glad you are back.

Yes the wetsuit is really tight! It is supposed to be really hard to get on but they stretch more when they get wet.  was worried about it being too short in the torso and inhibiting motion...but it is perfect. Not so super shiny..more, "stealth" like. I'll get my son to take a picture later and I'll post it.

Have you guys seen Lynn's log! She is really working hard. Way to go Lynn!

I have thoughts of chicken soup directed your way for those of you with the flu.

Les 

2008-03-08 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1251945

User image

Los Angeles
triOK - 2008-03-04 12:08 PM
aber4 - 2008-03-04 9:06 AM

Robyn,

I'm headed to the pool in an hour or two and I'm still trying to understand for sure what you are talking about.  I understand the reaching across the midline which very well might be part of it, but the elbow I don't.  So the elbow stays near the surface and just the hand and forearm rotate down and through?  I'm guessing I'm doing that wrong as well.  Wish I would have been able to go to my lesson and have video done.

Thanks for your help

OK... i don't know that I can explain this very well, especially since I am not an expert at this.  It was something I just learned myself.

When you start your pull, start by "breaking" at the elbow.  Bend your elbow and pull by pulling the water under you keeping your hand directly in line with the center of your body.  Think of it as you are pulling your body over the line on the bottom of the pool.  I keep my hand in line with the stripe painted on the pool floor. 

Does that make sense?

When I taught swimming, I would tell my students to envision a ball that they are grab at the top of the stroke and throw down to their feet. The stroke underwater is a slight "key hole" shape, sweeping slightly out, then in - but under your body. Your thumb of your hand should almost hit your thigh when you fully finish your stroke and begin the next one.

2008-03-08 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1260883

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Thanks for all the inspires, guys. Really makes a difference.

I indulged and had a massage today. It hurt like heck but I feel like a new person. I'll definitely be able to ride tomorrow! Woo-hoo.

You guys rock!
~Lynn
2008-03-09 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Went to observe the masters swim class on Wednesday night and it had been cancelled because of snow here-

Picked up my tricked out bike-a purple cannondale that now has aero bars with shifters, new road tires, and a tri seat. Picked up my new tri biking shoes.

Now I am so ready for my first tri, hopefully it will warm up soon and I can take my new bike outside. I am going for a time trial with my team today but I am not taking the road bike because of the ice and potholes. I am taking the old mountain bike with the hybrid tires because I am comfortable with riding that bike outside. Its only intrateam time trials so I really don't care how I do.

I did get some swimming in yesterday but have decided that noseplugs are a must. Does anyone else swim with nose plugs?

Have a great Sunday everyone! jo
2008-03-09 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1261289

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Jo, I have never had the need for a nose plug, but I do use ear plugs, and only developed the need for them over the past few months.

Need to see pics of the bike...sounds sweet!

I was palnning on doing a run today but the left groin muscle is still really sore form yestardays ride. I gonna take Brodie out in the jog stroller for a loop around the trail...walking.  I plan on getting up early in the morning for a swim before duty and then mmaybe trya run later in the afternoon. Tuesday I am going to the LBS to get fitted. Im gonna take my new shooz so they can check the cleats also.

2008-03-09 4:13 PM

User image

Denver,CO
Hi everyone,

I just got back in to the country and I didn't have access to a computer.
So I will catch up my journal.

Not feeling good today so am taking it easy. i was going to go ride but tired and no energy.
So I will start up tomorrow.
2008-03-09 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Okay, so my biking plans today failed. I was supposed to do the time trial thing. I showed up in the 29 degree weather with the snow and the ice, thinking this is crazy. I waited about 20 minutes after warming up before I got to start and by that time my hands were frozen. I made it about 6 total miles and called it quits. I was like a riding barge on that mountain bike. There was no bend at my waist and no way that I could block the head winds. I am such a wuss. But in my own defense, I was the only "tri-team" member that showed up to even give it a try. I guess that means that I am crazier than all of them (the captain of the tri team was driving the sagwagon because of recent shoulder surgery so he doesn't count).

I have never been so cold in my life. I can't even imagine how I would've felt if I would've rode all 26 miles. I am such a LOSER!!!! I'm okay with that though. Learned a lot of lessons-ride a rode bike, use clipless pedals and shoes, don't ride outside if it is under 40 degrees or if it is under 45 degrees with a head wind, and keep your muscles warm. My hamstrings are killing me.

Hope you all train smarter than me! Thanks for listening to me rant. I wish Spring would come to Michigan!!!!
2008-03-09 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1261786

User image

jogo - 2008-03-09 6:36 PM Okay, so my biking plans today failed. I was supposed to do the time trial thing. I showed up in the 29 degree weather with the snow and the ice, thinking this is crazy. I waited about 20 minutes after warming up before I got to start and by that time my hands were frozen. I made it about 6 total miles and called it quits. I was like a riding barge on that mountain bike. There was no bend at my waist and no way that I could block the head winds. I am such a wuss. But in my own defense, I was the only "tri-team" member that showed up to even give it a try. I guess that means that I am crazier than all of them (the captain of the tri team was driving the sagwagon because of recent shoulder surgery so he doesn't count). I have never been so cold in my life. I can't even imagine how I would've felt if I would've rode all 26 miles. I am such a LOSER!!!! I'm okay with that though. Learned a lot of lessons-ride a rode bike, use clipless pedals and shoes, don't ride outside if it is under 40 degrees or if it is under 45 degrees with a head wind, and keep your muscles warm. My hamstrings are killing me. Hope you all train smarter than me! Thanks for listening to me rant. I wish Spring would come to Michigan!!!!

You are not a wuss.  There is no way in hell I would have gone out today.  It was freezing here.... the fact that you made it 6 miles is hardcore.  No way for me.

2008-03-09 10:04 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

Well, we had sunny weather in California this weekend, but man was it ever windy!  But I managed to slog through my first ever half century yesterday, in Solvang.  Here's my report, if you're bored and want something to read...   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=106334

How did the rest of you fare this weekend?

2008-03-09 10:21 PM
in reply to: #1262098

User image

Los Angeles
krludwig - 2008-03-09 8:04 PM

Well, we had sunny weather in California this weekend, but man was it ever windy!  But I managed to slog through my first ever half century yesterday, in Solvang.  Here's my report, if you're bored and want something to read...   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=106334

How did the rest of you fare this weekend?

Congrats! It was beautiful here in Sunny LA, but the wind can be a real pain, especially up in Solvang. Way to go - enjoyed the report.

2008-03-10 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Great job Keith! The wind was blowing here yesterday and man...it's hard to ride your bike when it's blowing that hard.  No way I could use my aerobars!
2008-03-10 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1260593

User image

Master
denny.l - 2008-03-08 12:53 PM

What's her name?

I am hoping people call her "FAST".....

2008-03-10 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1262802

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Did you get aerobars with that, Bennet?

Okay, it's official. I have my first road rash. Wanted to share my skinned knee story. I kind of forgot I was clipped in and I went to stop and just slowly fell over. You'd think I would have remembered 5 minutes later when I came to my first stoplight, but nooooo, I did clip out with my right, but my brain wasn't functioning or something because I leaned to my left and of course my foot was still clipped in so I tried to recover and then just tipped over to my right. Wonder if that's what cows feel like when mean teenagers go cow tipping at night? I'm not saying I'm a cow, but...you are down on the pavement, wondering what the hell happened and realizing probably everyone in their cars are getting a nice chuckle, unless of course they are too busy texting or talking on their cells! so, I got up and the wind dried up the blood drip and I looked like a true tri warrior. It's all good!

Have a great week everyone.
2008-03-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1262927

User image

lmscozz - 2008-03-10 11:12 AM Did you get aerobars with that, Bennet? Okay, it's official. I have my first road rash. Wanted to share my skinned knee story. I kind of forgot I was clipped in and I went to stop and just slowly fell over. You'd think I would have remembered 5 minutes later when I came to my first stoplight, but nooooo, I did clip out with my right, but my brain wasn't functioning or something because I leaned to my left and of course my foot was still clipped in so I tried to recover and then just tipped over to my right. Wonder if that's what cows feel like when mean teenagers go cow tipping at night? I'm not saying I'm a cow, but...you are down on the pavement, wondering what the hell happened and realizing probably everyone in their cars are getting a nice chuckle, unless of course they are too busy texting or talking on their cells! so, I got up and the wind dried up the blood drip and I looked like a true tri warrior. It's all good! Have a great week everyone.

Welcome to the club, Lynn.  We ALL will do that at least once.  It happens.  Its and initiation.  Wear your "action tatoo" with pride.

Great job on the big 5-0, Keith.  Sounds like a tough course... but I am sure you learned a lot.  That's important.

So for me, I did my LT test today.  Ouch, ouch, ouch.  My LT is 177... a lot higher than it was last season.    I guess I need to run more.

2008-03-10 4:13 PM

Veteran
ooo...road rash...im glad youre okay though!

2008-03-10 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Lynn,

Sorry about the fall. The clip thing can be a challenge.

Sarah!  How are you feeling?  

Is everybody on the mend? 

I took my son swimming with me Sunday.  I think he might tri this summer. He had such a great  time swimming and he told me how good it made him feel at track today.  He said he could breathe and run faster. He's never really liked individual sports but is starting to understand the concept of beating your last best time.  He ran his fastest ever time in the 200m at the track meet Saturday.

I'm looking for a smaller bike frame  ( I need a 48-50cm in case you see something) and will give him the frame I've been riding. He'll have to come up with the components.  He can already run forever, and is a mountain biking maniac (we call him the Wayniac) Ahhh to be 16 again.

Cheers!

Les 

2008-03-10 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1263945

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Okay -- here's my bike -
2008-03-10 6:19 PM
in reply to: #1263945

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Here's my bike --
2008-03-10 7:19 PM

Veteran
alright, so im on the mend. Finally!
2008-03-10 7:23 PM
in reply to: #1263970

User image

Master

lmscozz - 2008-03-10 6:19 PM Here's my bike --

Wow....  It's so fast I can't even see it!!!!

2008-03-11 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1263970

User image

Eastern PA
lmscozz - 2008-03-10 7:19 PM

Here's my bike --

Lynn-
These "Here's my bike" posts totally made my day!!!
Leticia
2008-03-11 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1265364

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Oops! I kept trying to post and it said my file was over the limit. So I've taken another picture at a lower resolution. Although, I could stay with the it's so fast I can't see it, as well. Here goes again. If no picture shows up I guess I'll just let you all use your visualization skills.

2008-03-11 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1265375

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Okay, the file exceeds the 100KB. So if anyone knows how to decrease the size of the file, I'll try again, if not, just image a very cool looking silver and blue bike that's carbon with a really uncomfortable seat right now. (I need a new saddle that's more for women). I've set the camera to the lowest settings and...well you see the result.

Sorry, but maybe it's provided some comic relief?? Happy spinning. I'm off to swim some laps.

~Lynn
2008-03-11 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1265395

User image

Master

lmscozz - 2008-03-11 12:27 PM Okay, the file exceeds the 100KB. So if anyone knows how to decrease the size of the file, I'll try again, if not, just image a very cool looking silver and blue bike that's carbon with a really uncomfortable seat right now. (I need a new saddle that's more for women). I've set the camera to the lowest settings and...well you see the result. Sorry, but maybe it's provided some comic relief?? Happy spinning. I'm off to swim some laps. ~Lynn

Can you host the file on photobucket or another hosting site, and then post it?  That is what I do.  But it really, it sounds fast!!!!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52