BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pashda's new group - NOW CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-05-18 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2157043

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
Subject: RE: My first Tri
Gratz on your race JoeyG.  Sounds like everything went really well.  Glad to hear you had no tire problems.  I hope I can do as well as you did. 

Joe

2009-05-18 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2086257

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
Subject: Swim training question
I am confused and getting anxious about my swim training.  The program that I am following has me doing anywhere from 700-1200 yards per workout. (when I can make it that far in a session)  My question is about how the workout splits up the yards.  It usually starts with a 200 yard warm up, has around 4 sets of drills at 25 yards then main sets of 100 yards with rest intervals between.  It usually finishes with a 200 yard cool down.  My race is a 825 yard race.   I have yet to be able to swim over 350 yards at a time without resting.  Should I be doing at least one long swim per week?  If so, should I substitute it for one of the other 2 swim workouts?   I have just learned to swim early this year and I am far away from being confortable in the water.   I still get a little panic-stricken with my face in the water.  I am trying to HTFU but sometimes the swimming really seems to get me down as I feel it is not progressing like the bike and run.  

Any advice is appreciated.  

Joe

2009-05-19 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: Swimming fear
Joe (Keefrichard) -

One thing everyone told me, but I could not get myself to believe, was just to swim as I wanted and my pace.  Don't worry about anyone else.  [Afterwards, I can now believe it.]
Whatever will be natural and comfortable for you - do.  Also, try to lock yourself into an approach a couple weeks before your race.  If you are struggling with a particular stroke or approach 2 wks out, fall back to something you can comfortably do, and practice at that.

800+ yards is a good distance.  So, figure out what your fall-back or resting stroke will be - for some sidestroke, others butterfly, others backstroke.  Get comfortable with switching around.

It will be your first race, swimming will be first.  So, there will be lots of nervous energy.  Just try to focus on your swim plan.

For my 250 yard swim, I saw many people in front of me - with planned faster times - taking breaks every 25 yards.  So, if you were to break it into 300 yds, breath for a couple seconds, 300 yds, breath for a couple seconds, finish 250 yds, you'd still be in really good shape.

Lastly, swim is the shortest distance and shortest time.  For me, I was fine giving up many minutes to others on the swim - for you, it might only be a minute or two - so make sure your other two events are good.  Lots of people hate the run, so if you can be comfortable there, you can make up lost time.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun Cool

Edited by joeyg 2009-05-19 11:41 AM
2009-05-19 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2160822

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
Subject: RE: Swimming fear
JoeyG,

Thank you for reminding me.  Sometimes I get so locked into things I forget to enjoy myself.  This forum has already motivated me more than any of you will know.  I am proud to say that today I swam 800 yards non stop.  I don't know what led to it.  I just told myself that I was going to do it.  It was not always pretty.  I had to flip to my back sometimes and kick but I am proud that I did it.  I really am beginning to believe that it can be easy to over think a lot of things.  Thank you everyone,

Joe
2009-05-19 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2161505

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Swimming fear
keefrichard - 2009-05-19 9:10 PM JoeyG,

Thank you for reminding me.  Sometimes I get so locked into things I forget to enjoy myself.  This forum has already motivated me more than any of you will know.  I am proud to say that today I swam 800 yards non stop.  I don't know what led to it.  I just told myself that I was going to do it.  It was not always pretty.  I had to flip to my back sometimes and kick but I am proud that I did it.  I really am beginning to believe that it can be easy to over think a lot of things.  Thank you everyone,

Joe

Joe, you have proved to yourself that you can cover your race distance non stop and that is a massive milestone so congratulations. My first tri had a 750m swim and that was the longest I managed to swim in training nonstop. on race day I had to switch to my fallback stroke of breaststroke as Joeyg suggests. It made me slower and affected my legs for the run but it didn't matter, I finished the race.
You can do it all you have to do now is build on the self belief that whatever happens the swim will not beat you. Keep working on it and I would suggest mixing your sessions with one long swim each week. You can break this into segments at first but try to make them at least 400m each segment and try to build to a total over 1000m. You will find that once you are over 1k the distance becomes irrelevant as you will be able to carry on as long as you want. ideally ahead of your race if you can do 1km nonstop it allows you to be super confident of your swim which will balance out the nerves.
Keep going you are doing great.
2009-05-19 4:33 PM

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Pashda's new group - NOW CLOSED
Joey G
enjoyed the race report thanks for sharing.
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself and feel proud to call yourself a triathlete.
I am sure you will be back for more next year if not sooner. If the swim is still giving you a hard time I would suggest a lesson or 2, it really helped me and was well worth the money. try to get them to video you so you can see what you are doing in the water it is a lot different to how it feels.

Good job sir.

2009-05-20 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: Next steps...
While I know that I need to work on my swimming, my big goal (isn't it good to have those?) is to prepare for an HIM maybe 2011.  With that in mind, want to push my running, since it is my strongest, to see how I fare with that.
So, just sent in registration to do my first Half-Marathon in September.  13.1 miles, and a mental goal of completing in 2 hours.

Just wanted to share that with this group.

A nice sunny day here in Massachusetts.  Hope to get in a good walk at lunch - legs still a bit stiff from Tri on Sunday and Fun Run on Monday.

Edited by joeyg 2009-05-20 8:33 AM
2009-05-20 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2162733

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Next steps...
Sounds like fun Joe. I hope to complete my first 1/2 marathon this year too. Probably October and am hoping to do a 1/2 ironman next year depending how my olympic race goes in August. Good to have the long term goals especially when the race season is over and the weather is not looking favourable for a run. I would be happy myself to do a sub 2hr  for the 13.1 miles. Not at that pace yet but plenty of time to build the miles
2009-05-21 11:19 PM
in reply to: #2157043

Subject: RE: My first Tri
Great job Joey  G, wish you all the best on your future goals. Can't wait to do mine in June. Would like to someday complete a HIM, I've got a long way to go in all areas but it would one great self accomplishment. Take care, keep us advised with your swimming. 

Felix   
2009-05-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2163766

New user

Way to go Joey for registering for the half marathon!  I've completed about 5 half marathons all at 2hrs. or just under and have been a pace group leader/coach for people that want to complete a half in 2 hrs and under so let me know if you need any info/suggestions.

I just got my tri bike today so I'm really excited about getting out and riding tomorrow.  Unfortunately the physiotherapist I saw yesterday said that I've got a tear in my Gastro after the Marathon so I'm still off running for another week or two.  It will help now that I have a real bike to ride!! 
2009-05-24 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2170064

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Hi Kathryn (and all else).
Yes, I would be interested in reading/seeing some kind of guide to help me prepare for a half-marathon Sept 19th.  Currently, I run 3.9 mile races on Monday night regularly (now that 'summer fun runs' have started.  I have a 7.1 mile race early August.  And, I completed a 10-mile race this past Feb.  I have tried to put lots of info in Race & Training Logs.
My fear is that I will become upset if I miss some planned training, thus my taking it as it comes.  But, to finish a Half in under two hours will take some planning, practice & work.  So, I am open to suggestions.
Thanks.

2009-05-26 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2170594

New user

Hi Joey,

Well September 19th is a long way away so you've got lots of time to train.  Don't get bothered about missing a training run.  From what I can see from your pace you should be fine doing a 2 hr. half marathon in September.  My only caution would be to make sure that when you start doing your long runs that you do them at a slower pace so that you don't crash.  When I'm doing long runs with the clinics we do 10 & 1's (run 10 minutes and walk 1 minute) and our pace when we're running is about 6:15 min to 6:05 min per kilometer.  Sorry, I know you're in the U.S. and go by miles but I'm not great with conversions. 

Hill training is also really important and I find it more valuable than the speed training.  It builds up strength with less chances of injury.  Also if you go out really hard one day, don't be afraid to take the next day off, your body needs time to recover.

Hopefully that's helpful to start and if you have more questions let me know.

Kathryn
2009-05-26 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2163766

New user

O.K. so I'm looking for some help with the cycling.  I got my bike this weekend and have done 2, 20k rides thus far.  I don't have great circulation in my feet so on my first ride my feet fell asleep a bit but it was manageable.  This morning it was a little bit cooler outside and by the time I got home, my feet were numb and frozen and took quite awhile to thaw out.  I had on a reasonably thick pair of stocks as well.  

Any suggestions or does anyone else experience this?  It used to happen occasionally when I did spin class as well.

Thanks! 

2009-05-27 4:21 AM
in reply to: #2174608

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Hi Kathryn
try moving the cleats back on the soles of your shoes. That sometimes helps. Also dont have the straps on your shoes too tight as with thick socks you will stop the circulation leading to numb feet. You need to be able to wiggle your toes a bit.
See if that helps
Dave
2009-05-27 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: Biking and numb feet
Hi Kathryn,

While I do not use bike shoes, I do remember reading about bike shoe toe covers.  See following as example:
http://www.onetri.com/soto-covers-p-2854.html?osCsid=8ed53735fcd84658443925c0f065a093

The idea being to slow down the cool air rushing in to normally keep your foot comfortable on hot days.

Perhaps something like that would help?

2009-05-27 11:15 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Dave, is it a bad Idea to start a sixteen week training program for an Olympic distance tri. in September and in that training program throw in two weekend sprints in July and August, not necessarily for time, more for experience and transition training?  I just wondered if the races could fit nicely into a training program or not.  Thanks man.
Dave!

2009-05-28 2:21 AM
in reply to: #2177411

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Dave
nothing wrong with that at all. Important things to think about though are to ensure that the sprint races are for the experience rather than becomming your focus. ie your olympic race is your "A" race so all others are training for that one. that doesn't mean you cant do your best on the sprints but dont injure yourself trying to save a few seconds in them.
Also be sure to have a very easy week after each sprint to allow recovery. It would be perfect if the race is just ahead of your scheduled recovery week so maybe adjust the plan for that.
The transition practice will be worthwhile and is great preparation for your olympic race.
Dave
2009-06-01 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Been quiet for a few days.
Everyone must be hard at swim - bike - run !!!

So, just a hello on a Monday afternoon.  I've been trying to keep my logs up-to-date.  My short-term future races are runs, with a duathlon in the fall.  I will need to do some more training before another attempt that includes swim.

2009-06-01 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2187536

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Hi everyone hope you are well and fit. Just thought I would update you on my own training. Did a practice open water swim on Sunday ready for my sprint race on 7th June. It was nice and warm and we had a great time scaring the carp that thought we were there to feed them. Good to get the wetsuit wet again and get used to the buoyancy which made it easy to glide along.
Went to the pool today to do a race distance swim against the clock and managed a PB so all set for race day. couple of short runs and a quick bike ride this week and plenty of rest ahead of Sunday. This is the anniversary of my first tri and I am hoping to knock at least 12 minutes off my time to finish under 1'30. Its certainly possible and if all goes perfect I hope 1'25 will be my target. Fingers crossed.
So who has a race in the near future ?
2009-06-01 9:19 PM

User image

Royal Oak
Dave - Sorry I have been horrible about logs, etc.  Way too busy lately to get on the site regularly..!  I have been training a lot and knocked out a Sprint Tri two weeks ago and another Sprint plus (1000 yd swim, 13 Mile mountain bike and 4 mile run).  I placed within the top 10 (overall) in both events, so cannot complain.  I am going to up the distance a bit as the summer moves along and aiming for a HIM August 30th in northern Michigan.  I have not had any questions lately, but thanks for being available!

Good luck to everyone and I hope your training is going well! 
2009-06-02 3:03 PM

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
I have been busy as well and have not posted like I would like.  My brother in law got married this weekend but I am happy to say I still made all my training.  I also had another break through in swiming today.  I have been toughing out the swim but still felt like I was fighting the water more than swimming.  I noticed that I was reaching very far on my stroke and thus slapping my arms on the water surface.  I think this was a product of trying to lengthen my stroke.  Halfway through my workout today, I realized this and began entering my arms in the water much closer.  I was pleasently surprised to find my legs lift and my body rotation improve dramatically.  I also felt like I was swimming and not fighting for the first time.  Amazing how much easier this is. 

I really like the bike.  It is probably my favorite right now.  I have been pushing myself pretty hard on it.  It turns my legs to jello on brick workouts so I am sure I will need to let up a little in the race.  My race is also a 15 mile ride instead of the usual 12 so I will have to be extra cautious about blowing up on the run. 

My run is probably my best of the three right now but it is my least favorite.  Just really do not enjoy running. 

I hope everyone else's training is still going well.  Congratz to you Blakekenny on your last two races.  Very impressive. 

Joe

2009-06-02 7:11 PM

Hello Dave, good luck on making your TRI times, you've got what it takes. I’m enjoying getting back into shape and because of your advice early on this training I’ve been taking it easy and just building skills and form. I’ve never run a TRI but do respect the cardio it demands. I plan to get through some sprints before I really start going for times (can't wait). All aspects in my TRI training so far have mentally tested me and I’ve just loved every challenge. Again your guidance early on has really paid off in that I’ve been able to get consistently better without really completely physically breaking down. I think it was 10 yrs before this training that I ran 3 miles. I come from a military background and being in such poor shape when I first started really was a concern, because I’ve come from the school of “no pain no gain” and that mentality taking over during training would have got me hurt. But slowly I have come to a point in which I do feel good when I’m taking on any of the 3 sports.

I’ve noticed that some people have already completed a tri and have moved on with bigger challenges, that’s really awesome. I hope to post my first tri info and pics once I complete mine. I am posting my workouts but really have not followed any schedule because I really couldn’t get a base established. That’s my reason for running maybe another couple of tri’s. Thanks again Dave   

Felix 

2009-06-04 12:19 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Subject: I am now a triathlete!
Knocked out my first sprint last weekend, and had a great time!  The format was kind of backward, but it was extremely enjoyable!  I didn't post great times, was not that competetive, but pushed myself very hard, and posted PB times on both the run and the bike, the swim was at the end of the event, and I was about a minute slower if you counted just the swim, not all the running between here and there and to the finish, than my PB on just a 400 swim.  All in all, I had a great time, and look forward to completing many more of these!  My advise for someone who has yet to complete one is very simple and very redundant on this site, yet still very applicable, "train the plan, race the plan"  If you train your plan, the race should be pretty enjoyable.  There were people who finished ahead of me who looked to be in absolute misery, and folks who finished behind me who had to walk the bottom of the pool!  I am just glad that I trained (not quite as hard as I could have) and finished successfuly and without feeling like passing out for two days!  What a great sport and a great goal to have.  Good luck, my next race is July 11th!
Dave.
2009-06-04 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2195041

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
Subject: RE: I am now a triathlete!
Dave,

Congrats on your  race.  Sounds like it went great.  Swimming at the end, that must have been really tough.  hopefully my first race will go as good as yours.

joe

2009-06-05 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2195041

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: RE: I am now a triathlete!
Dave,
Congratulations on your accomplishment.
And I am especially happy to see that you enjoyed your day.  All too often competitors push themsleves into pain and agony, and don't get to enjoy the moment.
I look forwards to reading your RR (race report).

Welcome to the 'club'

JoeyG
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pashda's new group - NOW CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5