BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriPatrick's group of support- closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2012-05-04 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4189695

Veteran
Honolulu
Subject: RE: TriPatrick's group of support- closed
momsintraining - 2012-05-04 12:07 AM

That's lovely!

I tried my first spinning class today, I liked the instructor, but I'm not quite sure how well it will transfer to actual cycling. I don't have a bike trainer, but I've been looking around on craigslist. Realistically, I'll probably get an outdoor bike ride in about once a week once summer comes around.

I think indoor spinning (although I never took a class) is very effective as bike training.  Especially if you have a heart rate monitor, and spend a good portion standing up.  The only thing you don't learn is bike handling and cornering, but for indoor "artificial" training it's pretty darn good.

2012-05-04 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4182512

User image

TriPatrick - 2012-04-30 9:35 PM Not sure why I did not put everything in one post. Did everyone improve this month? Did you have any goals for your training? I just ended my peak for IMTX and I could not be happier to cut back.

Since you asked about goals, I've been thinking...yeah...goals...I need some goals.  So:

Swimming:   Find a coach and improve.  This is my weakest area

Bike:  Increase mileage to 200 miles.  Improve avg mph

Run:  Up weekly avg to 20-25 and work on running faster (sub 9 minute miles)

TGIF everyone!

Ted

2012-05-04 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4189695

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
momsintraining - 2012-05-04 12:07 AM

That's lovely!

I tried my first spinning class today, I liked the instructor, but I'm not quite sure how well it will transfer to actual cycling. I don't have a bike trainer, but I've been looking around on craigslist. Realistically, I'll probably get an outdoor bike ride in about once a week once summer comes around.

Spinning - it can be good if you do it right.  I have done many, many - here is what I have learned - ride in class like you would really ride outside.  Some spin instructors have their classes doing all sorts of things that may be good cardio, but will not necessarily move your bike fitness up.  Here is how I modify the class to get out of it what I need. 

First - if they are having you do "jumps" - you know, up for a few seconds and down for a few seconds - just don't.  I will generally just do a standing climb or moderately hard seated pace while everyone is bouncing all over the place. 

Second - jogging / stair master / isolation moves - once again - just don't - settle into good out of the saddle climb.  Also, if the class is doing some super low RPM - 20-40 or so - ease up the tension until you get to 50-60 rpm. 

Third - upper body moves like crunches / pushup like stuff - besides being somewhat risky, these will provide you little to no benefit.  I will generally just rest my forearms on the handlebars and ride time trial style at a steady moderately hard pace.

Lastly - high RPM  - some instructors will try to get the class up to 120 rpm or more - you see people bouncing around everywhere.  I generally keep my RPM's at no more than 100 and keep the tension dialed up enough that my butt is not bouncing.

I also try to get to class a bit early - 5-10 minutes or so to warm up really good.  If you are looking for a longer duration ride, I find it best to get most of the extra time in before the class and a little extra.  For instance, if I want a two hour ride then I will get there 45 min before class starts, do the hour class, and then go for about 15 minutes after.  Anyway, sorry so long winded - I like spin classes, but just make sure that you ride your own ride that helps you achieve the goals you have. 

2012-05-04 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4189699

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I think I figured out the problem... the discussion forum post "cleaned up" the link which made them not work.  Let's try this again...

ashort33 - 2012-05-04 12:21 AM

I put together a mentor group chart...  quote this post, then click on the HTML button above, and then copy the code that starts with the tag "table style" and ends with the tag of "/table".  Then go to your training log and click on edit and then click on the HTML button again.  Paste in the table off your clipboard and then click on the update button and the the save button.  Presto  - table is set up at the top of your training log!  The title is linked back to the mentor thread and each screen name is linked to our training logs - so log those workouts and leave inspires for your fellow mentees... 

Tripatrick
(Patrick - TX)
Bschuma
(Barbara - WA)
momsintraining
(Allyn - CA)
loonatic
(Eric - TX)
darylngirl
(Darlene - ON)
runnergirl41
(Sonya - OR)
cathrynbranch
(Cathryn - CA)
Z-Dog
(Zev - CO)
HonoluluAngel
(Angel - HI)
GI Jen
(Jen - ON)
ashort33
(Andy - TX)
TdG717
(Ted - TX)
dpetty1
(Deb - CA)

2012-05-05 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4130942

New user
San Diego

^ thanks for the spin advice. I'll use it when it works well for my schedule- i.e. until school's out for summer, and/or my husband goes on his trip- he'll be riding from Mexico to Canada and back on his dual-sport motorcycle along the Rockies in June with his dad. I'm slightly jealous, but I'll be keeping busy.

And the links work now, thanks!

I had a horrible dream that everything went wrong in my race- I was late, couldn't set up my bike, left my tri-suit at home, realized I didn't pick up the race packet the day before... I think it was just my brain reminding me to get ready! If I could sleep in my tri-gear I would, I'm so excited. It's going to be hard to focus at work today!

2012-05-05 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4192086

User image

momsintraining - 2012-05-05 9:49 AM

^ thanks for the spin advice. I'll use it when it works well for my schedule- i.e. until school's out for summer, and/or my husband goes on his trip- he'll be riding from Mexico to Canada and back on his dual-sport motorcycle along the Rockies in June with his dad. I'm slightly jealous, but I'll be keeping busy.

And the links work now, thanks!

I had a horrible dream that everything went wrong in my race- I was late, couldn't set up my bike, left my tri-suit at home, realized I didn't pick up the race packet the day before... I think it was just my brain reminding me to get ready! If I could sleep in my tri-gear I would, I'm so excited. It's going to be hard to focus at work today!

Hey, M.I.T --- Good luck on your race tomorrow!   You'll do awesome.   Let us know how you make out!

2012-05-05 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Did my first track workout, outdoor run, and brick in 3 years! 
2012-05-05 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4192734

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Z-dog - 2012-05-05 7:24 PM Did my first track workout, outdoor run, and brick in 3 years! 

Awesome - how did it go???

2012-05-06 1:16 AM
in reply to: #4192865

User image

Master
Denver

Thanks Andy!

Did a sorta slow 6 mile ride with my kids (one of them kept dropping her chain, grrr); then I went to the local track and did run/walk intervals, then hopped back on my bike and did dills for another 35 or 40 minutes. I feel sore but good!  My head is happy for sure! Been a long time since my 70.3 race!

2012-05-06 3:43 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Who raced this weekend? How did you do?
2012-05-06 3:47 PM

New user
San Diego

Race went really well! Finished 19 out of 38 in AG, 81 out of 292 females, not sure of overall. So, solid middle of the pack with AG. Transitions were a little longer than I'd like, run was faster than my PR at the 5k last weekend, so I'm really happy with that. My road bike compared to other tri bikes was noticable (even though I still finished ahead of some), but I'm not going to worry about that for a while, I'll just get better at what I'm currently on. I underestimated my swim ability and probably could have gone better on that, but didn't want to start off too fast.

Can't wait for the next one!!!

Here's the link to the race report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=438896&posts=1&start=1

Edited by momsintraining 2012-05-06 8:03 PM

2012-05-06 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4192734

New user

San Diego
Sweet! Nice job! I love bricks.....last weekend I did 15 mile bike followed by a 3 mile run!
2012-05-06 11:42 PM

Veteran
Honolulu

I've slowly been inputting data into my Training Log from my little notebook since the date I officially started training for triathlons, Aug 1, 2011.  The Training Log has been a great tool to analyze data.  I thought all this time I was putting in 10-12 hours/week in training but it looks more like 5-6. 

Since I come from a cycling background, I'm not spending much training time on that which is probably why I'm not logging in more weekly hours.  I also don't have a car and use my bike almost on a daily basis.  I usually don't log that bike time (or walking) for commuting, but it must count for something (vs driving).  I figured my heart rate probably isn't over 120bpm so it doesn't really count.

Despite the "low" hours training, I somehow managed to do ok for my races.  It's very interesting because in my mind I feel like all I do during my free time is train.  I will work on increasing my hours swimming and running though, now that I can track it easier with the Training Log. What a great free tool!

Edited by HonoluluAngel 2012-05-06 11:44 PM
2012-05-07 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

So whats' the plan this week for everyone?

Me -  almost all biking - 30 miles on Mon, 50 miles on Wed, 30 miles on Thu, 30 miles on Fri.  50-55 miles on Sat, 45-50 on Sun - that's  a bit over 200 miles for the week...  I may try a short run on Tue

2012-05-07 11:45 AM

New user
San Diego
Going to try  WILL go to the gym before work every day this week, mostly work on my swimming. And some running. I really need to do speedwork, and/or core stuff to help with that overall skill. 
2012-05-07 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4194664

Monday- Off

Tuesday- Swim as long as I can, then run as long as I can

Wednesday- 6-8km run with Running Room Group (bike there and back- 7km each way)

Thursday- Swim as long as I can, then run as long as I can

Friday- 75 min cycle class

Sat- 2 hours of classes at the gym (Pump, Step, Attack, CX Works- 30 min each)

Sun- Long run- Aiming for 14km on flat road

2012-05-07 12:17 PM

Veteran
Honolulu
My triathlete bf is out of town for a week so I won't have my training partner. I will try to increase my duration to 10 hours/week, emphasis on more running. Andy you never take your cycling shows off lately!
2012-05-07 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4195128

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

HonoluluAngel - 2012-05-07 12:17 PM My triathlete bf is out of town for a week so I won't have my training partner. I will try to increase my duration to 10 hours/week, emphasis on more running. Andy you never take your cycling shows off lately!

Fear....  that is why....

http://www.okfreewheel.com/

2012-05-09 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4195194

So I'm going to get a little personal with you all because there's no one I am really close to who is familiar with running etc who can give me advice.

I've been on an SSRI (basically a mild anti-depressant) for my post-partum depression. I missed a dr's appointment, ran out of pills, and was feeling great so I stopped taking them. About 2 weeks after that (the time it takes the drug to leave your system) I just dropped. My energy is gone and I seem to have this huge hurdle for running. I just feel exhausted and really can't get myself motivated to run at all and when I do, I can't handle the distances I could just a few weeks ago. I've started taking the medication again, but my 16km race is in 12 days and it can take a full 2 weeks for the meds to kick back in.

I'm going running tonight- planning 6-8km with a local group (can't go longer because they have a 'no man left behind' rule). I usually do a long run on Sunday and have planned a run tomorrow too. The week after I'll probably do my Wednesday run and a longer run on Saturday, take Sunday off and then my race is Monday.I can add some treadmill runs if you guys think that will help, but it's hard for me to get in extra runs outside as someone has to watch my son (he can do daycare at the gym) and my husband is not really helpful.

I race to finish- not competitively but I am petrified I won't even be able to finish at this point. I was at 13km a few weeks ago, and did 10km of really bad hills on Sunday(the race is a fairly flat paved road). Any advice is appreciated, is there anything food-wise I can try to increase my energy? Or anything you'd recommend training-wise?

This race is really important to me, I ran it a couple years ago, and it is also on my son's birthday. I really want to do it- any advice is appreciated

2012-05-09 8:41 AM

New user
San Diego

First of all, big hugs! I'm also on anti-depressants for post-partum depression, and it really is a wild ride. Good for you for recognizing that you needed to get back on your meds. It isn't a weakness, or something you can think yourself out of, it's replacing what your body needs right now.

You'll be able to finish. You've got a strong base of training underneath you. I don't think the next 12 days are going to make a huge impact between finishing and not, as long as you keep moving.

When you don't feel like going for a run, getting dressed is the hardest part. Once your shoes are on, it's pretty likely you're going to go for that run.

Is there a jogging stroller you could borrow/find on craigslist? Then you could take your son with you on some shorter runs.

Energy: vitamin D, fish oil, if you're breastfeeding you should still take pre-natal vitamins (or some sort of multi-vitamin)  omega-3 rich foods: walnuts, salmon, avocado...

Keep at it!

2012-05-09 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4199192

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
darlyngirl - 2012-05-09 7:47 AM

So I'm going to get a little personal with you all because there's no one I am really close to who is familiar with running etc who can give me advice.

I've been on an SSRI (basically a mild anti-depressant) for my post-partum depression. I missed a dr's appointment, ran out of pills, and was feeling great so I stopped taking them. About 2 weeks after that (the time it takes the drug to leave your system) I just dropped. My energy is gone and I seem to have this huge hurdle for running. I just feel exhausted and really can't get myself motivated to run at all and when I do, I can't handle the distances I could just a few weeks ago. I've started taking the medication again, but my 16km race is in 12 days and it can take a full 2 weeks for the meds to kick back in.

I'm going running tonight- planning 6-8km with a local group (can't go longer because they have a 'no man left behind' rule). I usually do a long run on Sunday and have planned a run tomorrow too. The week after I'll probably do my Wednesday run and a longer run on Saturday, take Sunday off and then my race is Monday.I can add some treadmill runs if you guys think that will help, but it's hard for me to get in extra runs outside as someone has to watch my son (he can do daycare at the gym) and my husband is not really helpful.

I race to finish- not competitively but I am petrified I won't even be able to finish at this point. I was at 13km a few weeks ago, and did 10km of really bad hills on Sunday(the race is a fairly flat paved road). Any advice is appreciated, is there anything food-wise I can try to increase my energy? Or anything you'd recommend training-wise?

This race is really important to me, I ran it a couple years ago, and it is also on my son's birthday. I really want to do it- any advice is appreciated

Yep MIT is 100% right.  Just get in solid work for your next runs and you will be fine.  Just make sure you watch your pace during the race.  I find it easy to go too fast during events and blow up.  Whatever pace your ran the 13k at, slow down by 10-15sec a mile (i guess that is 6-10sec per km) and you should finish with no problems.  Food wise for energy?  Just eat right - natural foods, mix of complex carbs, simple carbs, protein, and fat.  You can temporarily jump your energy up with sugary foods, but its crappy coming back down...

2012-05-09 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4199761

Master
Montgomery, Tx
ashort33 - 2012-05-09 10:58 AM
darlyngirl - 2012-05-09 7:47 AM

Yep MIT is 100% right.  Just get in solid work for your next runs and you will be fine.  Just make sure you watch your pace during the race.  I find it easy to go too fast during events and blow up.  Whatever pace your ran the 13k at, slow down by 10-15sec a mile (i guess that is 6-10sec per km) and you should finish with no problems.  Food wise for energy?  Just eat right - natural foods, mix of complex carbs, simple carbs, protein, and fat.  You can temporarily jump your energy up with sugary foods, but its crappy coming back down...

Food and rest are key like said above.It looks like your training all around has increased. This will compound life stresses and make it difficult to do anything. The last few weeks I have taken a day here and there or had workouts where I just went through the motions. Control what you can and in no time you will be running further than you have and enjoying it again.
2012-05-10 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Alright campers, the weekend is drawing close - anyone racing this weekend?  any inspiring workouts planned?  Whatcha doing for Mom?

Me - no races, going to Oklahoma to see my mom and mother in law.  I am taking my bike and have planned a 50ish mile ride and a 45 mile ride.  Meals planned with both moms after my rides... 

2012-05-10 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4202257

Master
Montgomery, Tx
ashort33 - 2012-05-10 10:54 AM

Alright campers, the weekend is drawing close - anyone racing this weekend?  any inspiring workouts planned?  Whatcha doing for Mom?

Me - no races, going to Oklahoma to see my mom and mother in law.  I am taking my bike and have planned a 50ish mile ride and a 45 mile ride.  Meals planned with both moms after my rides... 

I am looking forward to only having 5-6 hours of training total this weekend. I will have lots of free time! My mom is coming in town next week for my race so I am taking her out for a late lunch. I will cater to my wife Sunday for being a great mom to the kids and for putting up with my training.
2012-05-11 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4202257

User image

ashort33 - 2012-05-10 11:54 AM

No racing plans since we have folks visiting.  I can only hope to sneak in run or two.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriPatrick's group of support- closed Rss Feed  

of 6