BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JustMike's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-02-23 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2657825

User image

Subject: RE: JustMike's Group - FULL
Thanks Mike,

I'm on the trainer after work, so I'll see if I can get some photos/video.

But someone recommended me a fitter from a local tri shop.  He said he got a good fit for about $40.  I think it's worth a shot.

2010-02-23 12:57 PM

Mobile, AL
Xterra has some great sales right now. They have their $400 wetsuit for $149 which is what I just ordered. It should be here on Friday. I will let you know what I think of it as soon as I get a chance to try it out.

I have been trying to log my workouts, but I haven't been logging my nutrition. I think I may have finally got my diet straight and may be back to losing weight slowly. I was wondering what you guys thought of whether it would be too soon to try a HIM at the end of the year. I have only done one triathlon so far, but I have been able to sustain about 10 hours or training a week before that one and so far this year. I know I would have to ramp up some for a half, but I think I could devote the time. Any thought?
2010-02-23 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2688699

User image

imbr0gli0 - 2010-02-23 8:57 AM Xterra has some great sales right now. They have their $400 wetsuit for $149 which is what I just ordered. It should be here on Friday. I will let you know what I think of it as soon as I get a chance to try it out. I have been trying to log my workouts, but I haven't been logging my nutrition. I think I may have finally got my diet straight and may be back to losing weight slowly. I was wondering what you guys thought of whether it would be too soon to try a HIM at the end of the year. I have only done one triathlon so far, but I have been able to sustain about 10 hours or training a week before that one and so far this year. I know I would have to ramp up some for a half, but I think I could devote the time. Any thought?

Given proper training, I don't think a HIM is out of the question.  Just be fair to yourself.  If for some reason you can't commit to the training, then postpone it.  There's always another race.
2010-02-23 7:35 PM

User image

Hey all,

I'm about to do some OW swimming.  I've done some before, but for very short distances.  Just wanted to know if there are any tips for sighting.  How often, and are there any "tricks".

I was thinking maybe to do a couple of breast strokes to sight...but in a race, I might kick someone in the face.
2010-02-23 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
Okay, so today was supposed to be a 2 work out day, run and swim.  I had planned to run before work, but woke up late, so I swam at lunch and then going to run this evening, but after I got home from work, I was exhausted.

I swam 200 yards today, try to focus on technique.  I did 100 yards of the side kicking drill and then struggled the other 100 yard freestyle.

My question is, should I worry about 2 workout days right now (approx. 16 weeks from my tri, 200 yd swim) or not worry and implement them later?

Tim 
2010-02-23 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2689716

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
jayhawkrichie - 2010-02-23 8:45 PM Okay, so today was supposed to be a 2 work out day, run and swim.  I had planned to run before work, but woke up late, so I swam at lunch and then going to run this evening, but after I got home from work, I was exhausted.

I swam 200 yards today, try to focus on technique.  I did 100 yards of the side kicking drill and then struggled the other 100 yard freestyle.

My question is, should I worry about 2 workout days right now (approx. 16 weeks from my tri, 200 yd swim) or not worry and implement them later?

Tim 

In my humble opinion....I wouldn't worry about it right now.  Maybe focus on consistantly completing one workout a day, 6 days a week.  This allows you to do each discipline twice a week.  Then you can gradually add an extra workout here & there.  This is what worked for me.  It also helped with confidence/enthusiasm when it came to my workouts.  If I wasn't able to get in 2 workouts in a day I didn't get down on myself  as long as I did my one planned workout.  Anything extra was gravy.

2010-02-24 1:34 AM
in reply to: #2689812

User image

HollyW - 2010-02-23 5:28 PM
jayhawkrichie - 2010-02-23 8:45 PM Okay, so today was supposed to be a 2 work out day, run and swim.  I had planned to run before work, but woke up late, so I swam at lunch and then going to run this evening, but after I got home from work, I was exhausted.

Tim 

In my humble opinion....I wouldn't worry about it right now.  Maybe focus on consistantly completing one workout a day, 6 days a week.  This allows you to do each discipline twice a week.  Then you can gradually add an extra workout here & there.  This is what worked for me.  It also helped with confidence/enthusiasm when it came to my workouts.  If I wasn't able to get in 2 workouts in a day I didn't get down on myself  as long as I did my one planned workout.  Anything extra was gravy.

x2

I usually have 2-a-day wourkouts planned 4 days out of the week.  I'm lucky if I complete 3 of them.  Sometimes life gets in the way...in the grand scheme of things, triathlons are not our jobs.  Do the best you can...that's all you can ask for.  Listening to your body when you're tired (because of work or training) is also a good thing.  Just don't trick yourself into feeling tired and using it as an excuse too often.

For me, I fell in love with logging my workouts.  It's like a little pat on the back when you get to input what you accomplished today, and makes you look forward to logging tomorrow's workout.  Focus on what you have accomplished so far (over time, you'll be amazed at how much training you'll do)...not the one or two workouts you have missed.
2010-02-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2689967

User image

Bloomington
tri808 - 2010-02-24 1:34 AM
HollyW - 2010-02-23 5:28 PM

Tim 

x2

I usually have 2-a-day wourkouts planned 4 days out of the week.  I'm lucky if I complete 3 of them.  Sometimes life gets in the way...in the grand scheme of things, triathlons are not our jobs.  Do the best you can...that's all you can ask for.  Listening to your body when you're tired (because of work or training) is also a good thing.  Just don't trick yourself into feeling tired and using it as an excuse too often.

For me, I fell in love with logging my workouts.  It's like a little pat on the back when you get to input what you accomplished today, and makes you look forward to logging tomorrow's workout.  Focus on what you have accomplished so far (over time, you'll be amazed at how much training you'll do)...not the one or two workouts you have missed.

You know, I'm probably a bit odd in this regard, but I don't really ever do two a days.  I used to run before work, and while I was able to slog out the miles, I never really felt the quality was there.  I start work at 6am, get done at 4, and don't really get a formal lunch...so, I tend to be confined to one workout a day.  I don't think there is any rule that says you HAVE to do two.  I still often do two sports a day, but they tend to both happen in the same block, if that makes sense. 

That being said, I did my entire first year only doing 1 sport per day every day except fridays where I did a bike/run brick.  Totally doable...  If you consistantly work out 6 days a week you are ahead of 99% of the population, so don't sweat it!

2010-02-25 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas

I did my first tri sprint last yr.   I didnt spend nearly enough time in the water before the race and I almost died in the swim.  Not really, but my HR was 196 when I got to T1!  So this time around Ive been making sure Ive got the swim down.  Problem is, Ive been neglecting the bike and run.  So today i jump on the treadmill.  I usually walk an 1/8 mile, then slow jog at least 1/2 before I get going.  Today my calf started cramping right off at almost the fast walk pace.  Whats the deal?  Ive NEVER had any problems cramping! 

2010-02-26 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2694292

User image

onevette80 - 2010-02-25 4:23 PM

I did my first tri sprint last yr.   I didnt spend nearly enough time in the water before the race and I almost died in the swim.  Not really, but my HR was 196 when I got to T1!  So this time around Ive been making sure Ive got the swim down.  Problem is, Ive been neglecting the bike and run.  So today i jump on the treadmill.  I usually walk an 1/8 mile, then slow jog at least 1/2 before I get going.  Today my calf started cramping right off at almost the fast walk pace.  Whats the deal?  Ive NEVER had any problems cramping! 

That is a bit strange.  First thing you may want to check is your nutrition.  Were you dehydrated, eat anything weird just before etc.

It may also be because you neglected the bike/run for so long.  Some people believe that cramping can be caused by your muslces not being conditioned.  If so, my guess is that the cramping will subside once you start getting your biking and running back up.

Good luck
2010-02-26 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2695309

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
tri808 - 2010-02-26 11:09 AM

That is a bit strange.  First thing you may want to check is your nutrition.  Were you dehydrated, eat anything weird just before etc.

It may also be because you neglected the bike/run for so long.  Some people believe that cramping can be caused by your muslces not being conditioned.  If so, my guess is that the cramping will subside once you start getting your biking and running back up.

Good luck

Im thinking it had to be a hydration issue.  While I haven't been running regularly, i still run occasionaly, and despite how long its been I never cramp like this.  I drink ALOT of coke, probably 8-10 a day!  Im gonna try to replace a few of those with water and see what happens.  Although, I know I've been drinking at least 10 gals of water every day I swim......... 

2010-02-26 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2695620

User image

onevette80 - 2010-02-26 9:09 AM

Good luck

Im thinking it had to be a hydration issue.  While I haven't been running regularly, i still run occasionaly, and despite how long its been I never cramp like this.  I drink ALOT of coke, probably 8-10 a day!  Im gonna try to replace a few of those with water and see what happens.  Although, I know I've been drinking at least 10 gals of water every day I swim......... 

HOLY $&#!  That's a lot of coke. 

If you do decide to cut down your coke intake, let me know asap.  I'm going to sell my shares of Coca-Cola as their earnings will significantly drop...Wink
2010-02-28 1:18 PM

User image

Hey folks...

How's the training going with everyone?

It's raining a bit here...but more than anything there are gusty winds...so I have to move my long run to the treadmill.

I don't mind too much though...I can watch the Lakers game.  I hate the Lakers...sorry if anyone is a LA fan...Laughing
2010-03-01 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2695850

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas

If you do decide to cut down your coke intake, let me know asap.  I'm going to sell my shares of Coca-Cola as their earnings will significantly drop...Wink

Yesterday I only had 2 cokes, 1 this morning.  Im a freakin zoombie!! 
2010-03-01 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2699477

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
tri808 - 2010-02-26 2:32 PM
onevette80 - 2010-02-26 9:09 AM

Good luck

Yesterday I only had 2 cokes, 1 this morning.  Im a freakin zoombie!!
2010-03-01 12:20 PM

User image

All joking asside, I hope you can stick with it.  That much refined sugar can't help your training or your long term health.

I usually have about 1 diet soda per day (during weekdays), but even that's not so good for you.  I'm not a coffee drinker, so I do need a little pep during the work day.

2010-03-01 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2700026

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
tri808 - 2010-03-01 12:20 PM

All joking asside, I hope you can stick with it.  That much refined sugar can't help your training or your long term health.

I usually have about 1 diet soda per day (during weekdays), but even that's not so good for you.  I'm not a coffee drinker, so I do need a little pep during the work day.

Im sooo addicted to the caffine, lack of it has me confused about how to work the quote/reply function..... 

I think Im going to start with only having one with major meals.  Even 3 a day is much better than I was doing.  Im sure my prostate would prefer I quit entirely, but I just can't do it.  I love COKE!!!!!!!!!!  
2010-03-01 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2700306

User image

Have you tried tea?  That might be a better option if you still need the caffinee.
2010-03-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2701071

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
tri808 - 2010-03-01 7:05 PM Have you tried tea?  That might be a better option if you still need the caffinee.

Ehhhhhh?  The way I make tea, I don't think there would be much of an advantage over coke. 

On a side note:
In 2 wks of swimming I've gone from 50 meters at a time, and almost drowning, to 1500 without stoping!!  Seems like recovery time from swim workouts is nothing compared to running!!
2010-03-02 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2702110

User image

onevette80 - 2010-03-02 6:32 AM
tri808 - 2010-03-01 7:05 PM Have you tried tea?  That might be a better option if you still need the caffinee.

Ehhhhhh?  The way I make tea, I don't think there would be much of an advantage over coke. 

On a side note:
In 2 wks of swimming I've gone from 50 meters at a time, and almost drowning, to 1500 without stoping!!  Seems like recovery time from swim workouts is nothing compared to running!!

SWEET!!!

I'm in the same boat.  My breakthrough was about 2-3 weeks ago.  I could do about 100-150 yards, but was gassed.  Two weeks ago I did 1000 straight.  I could have gone longer, but I got bored and did some drills instead.

Isn't it great though.  Now we actually have the option to swim long, or break it up into sets of 200's, or go fast, then slow, etc.  Before it was just one speed and one distance...50 yds and don't drown.  LOL.

Last week I did a 300 ladder.  50-100-150-200-250-300-300-250....50.  With 30 second rest intervals.  Comes out to about 2100 yards and makes the swim go by so much faster.

Keep it up.  I'm so excited.  4 weeks ago I was really doubting if I could even do the sprint portion of the swim...now I'm pretty sure I'm going to sign up for a series of OW swims this summer that range from 1 mile to 2.3 miles.
2010-03-03 8:13 PM

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
Another reason Ive been doing alot of swimming is bc my knee has been hurting when I run.  It was just creeping up after a couple miles but wasnt too bad.  Its been getting progressively more painful, earlier into my runs.  Monday after 1 mile I was pretty much done!  I hobbled the mile back to the house.  So today I jump on the treadmill and at a 12min/mile pace I only got 1/4 mile in before it started feelin funny.  I did another lap since i wasnt doing much more than a fast walk but that was all I could do.  There are NO tender areas around my knee when i push around on it with my hand.  It feels like its "inside" if that makes sense??  And with a couple aleve, its just barely sore by the next day.  Any ideas or suggestions to figuring out what it could be without seeing a DR?  Should i just stay off it for a wk and see what happens?

2010-03-03 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2702110

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
onevette80 - 2010-03-02 10:32 AM

On a side note:

That totally kicks a$$!!  Way to go Ryan.
2010-03-03 10:38 PM
in reply to: #2706184

User image

Bloomington
HollyW - 2010-03-03 8:15 PM
onevette80 - 2010-03-02 10:32 AM

On a side note:

That totally kicks a$$!!  Way to go Ryan.

Agreed...that is really awesome.  Good job. 

Also, about the coke...I recommend small changes, nothing radical all at once...but seriously....10 12oz cokes a day is like 1400 calories.  If you could replace that, even with diet soda in the short term, that's 2.8 pounds of weight loss per week from the absence of those calories alone.  I don't mean to sound harsh here, but dude, that's alot.

2010-03-03 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2706378

User image

Bloomington
So, sorry I've been away for a bit...this training stuff is taking alot out of me. 

Last week I got some help from a friend on the order I was doing my workouts in.  Even though my hours/week are increasing I'm feeling better because of my new routine.  What a difference it made!

On the down side, I broke a tooth yesterday so now I'm trying to work a few dentist visits in around my training.  I'm sure you guys have experienced this as well, but it seems like sometimes our schedules can run so tight that when one more thing gets thrown on our plates it can send huge ripples through our entire lives. 

I'm also trying to figure out how to eat enough with tooth pain until it gets fixed.   That's challenging.  Lots of oatmeal and smoothies so far.
2010-03-09 9:39 AM

Mobile, AL
Hopefully you are feeling better. I always hate when getting sick or hurt takes you out of your training routine. How are you feeling now?

How is everyone else's training going? Any recent breakthroughs or roadblocks for anyone?

I recently set a new 5K PR. Ran the race in 25:47 which isn't the fastest (10th out of 19 in AG), but I am improving. I have come to the conclusion that I am slow! I can do the distances I need, I just have to take it easy. I have been sticking to the training plan though, and I am seeing improvements. I have managed to complete most of my workouts. I think I have only missed about 1 or 2 since I have started.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JustMike's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6