BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amazon's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-01-14 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3300652

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Amazon's Group - CLOSED
Tonight did the 2nd Bike Workout for my cycling plan I'm following.  Tomorrow 30' swim followed by 4 mile run.  Sunday is the 2nd test day for my cycling plan to set my baseline....20' warm up followed by all out 3' effort then 10' cool down.  I'm excited to see how hard I can push it for 3'.

2011-01-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3258408

Dover Foxcroft
Subject: weekend training plans

I started a tri club a few months ago and we've been meeting up for Friday night group runs. I've had a hard time getting more than one other person out w/ me but last night 2 new people showed up!!  I'm so excited.. never ran w/ others for training but I really enjoy it.  I look forward to the Fri night run and am not dreading the winter like I have in the past.

Heading to a swim clinic for triathletes/masters tomorrow. Really looking forward to it!

2011-01-18 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3299743

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Training Questions and Updates
So - how did everyone's weekend plans go?  It would be great to get a good discussion going here, from everyone, on what ent well and what didn't go so well.  I'll start ->

My weekend training went pretty well.  I hit my cycling plans on Friday and Sunday.  I exceeded the goal I established for my 3 min max cycling effort and was happy with that.  I was surprised how tough the last 30 seconds were - I guess that means I did it right.   I did get to the gym to swim and run on Saturday.  I cut my workouts a bit shorter than planned due to getting a later start because of family stuff.  Swam 1000 yards and ran 3 miles.  I would have like to run more but was also looking at the cycling test the next day and wanted  my legs to be as fresh as possible.

Things I need to work on - (1) I need to document my run and swimming plans.  I've just been doing ad hoc workouts at the moment and recognize that my cycling plan is very concrete (thanks to Jorge) and that is why those workouts are happening. (2) I need to begin adding volume to my swim sessions.  I think my near term goal should be to get up to 2000 yards and start adding some specific drills back into my swimming.  (3) Running I just need to step up my frequency.  I may add an early season half marathon to my schedule thus requiring me to formalize my running plans, etc.

This morning I wan't able to haul my a$$ out of bed to workout so hope to make it up tonight - a nice hard power interval session on the trainer.
2011-01-18 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3306170

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Weekend was great and got in nice 6 mile run Saturday afternoon after 5 hours at local fair with family.   Needed the run to work off the sausage and fried dough.  

Sunday I rode 28 miles at east pace with person doing her first tri this spring.   She is great runner and just gettign on the bike so we averaged maybe 16-17 which was fine by me.   We did short 2 mile brick run afterwards.  

Lesson learned, plan an off day if going out with drinking crowd night before.  Sunday night we were feeling pretty good, but the Monday morning swim was not happening.  Then I had a charity golf tournament so afternoon swim also pushed back.  No regrets though need a break once in a while.  
2011-01-18 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
The weekend went well. I hit the planned training for Saturday and Sunday. Felt pretty good even though the weather was a bit cold for running (lungs). Worked on form during the swim. I'm not pushing farleks for the swim just yet as I want to ensure that I have a good steady, and correct, form down.

I managed to get a little more in on Monday, bike and run. I feel like I slacked off and didn't get my strength training in the way I wanted to. With school work and running my mother-in-law to the airport, I was pretty busy, but I could have worked out earliler in the morning.

All in all a good weekend. I will be leaning towards some short farlek training on the run and bike during the next week and continue to concentrate on form for the swim.
2011-01-18 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3306941

User image

Master
I think a theme that most will constantly encounter is that life gets in the way.  For my first few seasons of "real" training I consistently tried to put a square peg in a round hole as it came to training on Mondays.  My plans always had Monday workouts.  Generally my time available to train is early AM so I was always fighting my ability to get up early after a long weekend of family, etc.  So this year I am recognizing reality and making Mondays a rest day.  The impact is that Sundays are no longer a rest day but it is more likely I will squeeze in a long run or ride on Sunday morning than a run or swim on Monday morning.  Moral is to recognize the reality of our day to day lives as we plan our training.  Be realistic when setting goals so that our hobby/sport of triathlon doesn't put undue pressure on our relationships and careers. 

...just my two cents.

2011-01-18 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3306170

User image

New user

I walked all over NYC for the 3-day weekend (in the freezing cold).  Wasn't in my training plan, but I'm still in the prep phase so no harm done.  I knew I was going on the trip, and did my long (by my standards) swim during the week.  So long as I consistently make progress on my swim form and endurance (on track with my targets), I'll be good to go come April.   
2011-01-18 7:36 PM

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
Weekend and start to this week off to great start. Tomorrow is my day off and I am really looking forward to it! A bit disappointed I didnt get the 120m bike in on Sunday, I did however have a very cold and challenging 60m on the blue ridge parkway in va. Lots of hills really pushed me, so despite missing minute goal, the intensity was up there. Got fitted with new running shoes - minimalistic saucony kinvaras...awesome! Had good seven miles on sat and a short 5k in them this morning. I have been trying to do the equivilent of strides in the pool...upping my speed and intensity for short distances during long workouts. I'm five solid weeks into the 20 week plan and have only missed
2-3 sessions. I am way ahead of where i was last year at this time.

2011-01-19 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3307214

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
dangremond - 2011-01-18 5:00 PM I think a theme that most will constantly encounter is that life gets in the way.  For my first few seasons of "real" training I consistently tried to put a square peg in a round hole as it came to training on Mondays.  My plans always had Monday workouts.  Generally my time available to train is early AM so I was always fighting my ability to get up early after a long weekend of family, etc.  So this year I am recognizing reality and making Mondays a rest day.  The impact is that Sundays are no longer a rest day but it is more likely I will squeeze in a long run or ride on Sunday morning than a run or swim on Monday morning.  Moral is to recognize the reality of our day to day lives as we plan our training.  Be realistic when setting goals so that our hobby/sport of triathlon doesn't put undue pressure on our relationships and careers. 

...just my two cents.

Your absolutely right.  Everyone needs to balance there lives/training.  For me the hardest part to fit in is the strength work.  It should not be an option, but instinctively that is what typically goes if I am crunched for time.  This year I am really trying to stay with it for at least 2x a week though.   There are so many variables involved (weather, life, spouse, kids, work, etc) that you can't beat yourself up for missign a workout or having to reorganize rest of your week.   My advice is to prioritize what you NEED to work on vs. what is convenient to work on.  As said before, consitsency trumps anything else when it comes to getting to race day and feeling ready.   1 or 2 workouts here or there will not slow you down, but that one off day that bleeds into a week will start to hinder your progress.    

Good luck all. 
2011-01-21 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Well, training has been shot to pieces this week! I have been unable to work out due to family and other requirements every day/evening except for Thursday when I got some cardio in. I have school tonight, but will try and get some cardio in again. Just three more classes and I'll be done with my Masters Degree.

Saturday I've got a car show but I'll get a good work out on Sunday. I feel bad but things happen... Like Life.... Just means more sweat later.
2011-01-21 2:54 PM

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
ROLL CALL! Who is still alive and active here? Who is just being shy? Who just hasn't had time to chat with us? Yoooooo Hooooo!

2011-01-21 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3314021

User image

New user

Here!

Had a yin-yang bike commute today.  Morning was "uphill" (~1% grade for 10 mi) and upwind, and evening was the opposite.  Uphill/upwind in a 25 degree wind chill is pretty tough.  I love the home trip for that route though (I only do it once a month or so).  Can't wait for spring!

2011-01-22 12:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I'm still here.  Sorry all, been a really hectic few weeks at the office.  Yay for being the book keeper and having to wrap up inventory Sealed.  So what do we have to do to liven things up around here?
2011-01-23 1:05 AM

Subject: Update
Hey There Amazon Group,

Yes I'm alive and well. Raced today, or should I say lucky to finish. Only a sprint distance but I'm pretty sure there is a lot less water in the choppy lake, since a lot of it ended up in my body. WinkWorst swim ever, looking for tips for open water swimming, especially when the water seems to slap you from all sides. Managed to claw my way back a little in the bike and run, but ended up finishing 11th out of 18.
I think this will be the race I exclude from my results for the series. Other than that, training going well, had to drop it back a bit since I'm doing my Masters at Uni, so once a day, but might just get up earlier and do brick sessions or after today, maybe I'll just add swims to the sessions. Only got 1 day of strength training too so need to try squeeze another 45min in somewhere.

Anyway, happy training everyone
Kate

2011-01-23 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3294241

User image

New user

Good swim session today.  I'm still in the early struggling-to-learn-form-and-how-to-breathe phase.  Today, I decided to focus on forward propulsion, rather than rolling to breathe.  It worked well...focus points were reaching, grabbing the water, and rotating my torso.  Not that I haven't been paying attention to those things in the past, but today I used those with an emphasis on moving FORWARD, vice focusing on rotating to breathe and trying to keep my legs from sinking.  Breathing still really throws my rhythm off, but today felt like a step in the right direction.
2011-01-24 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Understand about cutting back due to Masters Kate! I'm just about done with mine - Webster Unveristy. I've got three classes remaining, one is the 6000, and I'm taking two right now. Full-time student, work 0700-5:00pm, school 6-10pm... Three x a week right now due to makeups. Train when I can.  We're just about done with makeup due to weather, and so I should be getting back into my training next weekend, hopefully.... It's suppose to snow again on Wednesday!

Edited by JMMauldwin 2011-01-24 7:43 AM

2011-01-24 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Happy Monday Morning to everyone.  Last week was a tough week from getting workouts in.  Life is busy and the cold miserable weather is making it challenging to get out of bead at O Dark 30 to get to the gym.  All psychological and I know...HTFU.

Regardless, I have stayed true to my cycling workouts.  Let the last workout for the week slide into this morning and I think I am already feeling stronger on the bike.  Its been a solid month of good trainer workouts and I am enjoying my progress. 

My goals for the week are to get to the gym and keep up with my cycling workouts.  We'll see if I can get to bed a bit earlier to help with the early wake up.
2011-01-24 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Still here!   Busy weekend and I got a bit of a taste of what others go through on a "cold' ride.   Not quite your temps, but I did bike in 38 degrees this Sunday with windchill which was not enjoyable.  I LOVE hot weather and this native doesn't even own bike gloves or toe covers so it was cold to say the least.   That said, glad I did it once the ride was over.  

This week we will have to look at each other's logs and make sure we get SOMETHING in.  Even if it is a 30 minute run or a quick swim or bike or strength work.   We will all be thankful on that first race of the year when other hibernated over the winter

2011-01-24 11:53 AM

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
COLD WEATHER BLOWS! I am so ready for Spring. Did a 35 mile ride sat in sub-freezing temps...27 to be exact. Was well dressed for ride but still was miserable after about 45 minutes. I think I had some mild frost bite on the feet and hands...mental toughness ride. Rode with a friend and shared the misery with him.

On to week seven of 20...

Had an ephiphany after a strong swim last week. Typically I swim alone in the gym I work out at - the pool is usually my private olympic sized lap pool, in fact one morning I swam in my underwear because I forgot my suit! Anyway, I noticed another guy swimming in one of the lanes. I also noticed that I was smoking him. Although we all train different on different days, but regardless I felt like I was in better shape than him. I ended up talking to the guy after our swim was over. Come to find out, he has been doing triathlons for 10 years. We talked about some events that we had both done so I looked up his times. Guy smokes me! Not even close...this guy was a freak on the bike. I compared our times and he was an hour overall faster than me in the half that both of us had competed in. I beat him out of the water by about 4 minures, so I probably was a better swimmer. But here's what I started thinking...why in the workd put so much time and energy into becoming a stronger swimmer when you are only going to pick up a few minutes overall on your weaker swimmers. Maybe i need to focus more on the bike and run...longer distances and on the bike the ability to go much faster. I am going to stay the course and continue to cross train equally in all three, but it just made me think.
2011-01-24 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3318253

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
mramazon0822 - 2011-01-24 12:53 PM COLD WEATHER BLOWS! I am so ready for Spring. Did a 35 mile ride sat in sub-freezing temps...27 to be exact. Was well dressed for ride but still was miserable after about 45 minutes. I think I had some mild frost bite on the feet and hands...mental toughness ride. Rode with a friend and shared the misery with him.

On to week seven of 20...

Had an ephiphany after a strong swim last week. Typically I swim alone in the gym I work out at - the pool is usually my private olympic sized lap pool, in fact one morning I swam in my underwear because I forgot my suit! Anyway, I noticed another guy swimming in one of the lanes. I also noticed that I was smoking him. Although we all train different on different days, but regardless I felt like I was in better shape than him. I ended up talking to the guy after our swim was over. Come to find out, he has been doing triathlons for 10 years. We talked about some events that we had both done so I looked up his times. Guy smokes me! Not even close...this guy was a freak on the bike. I compared our times and he was an hour overall faster than me in the half that both of us had competed in. I beat him out of the water by about 4 minures, so I probably was a better swimmer. But here's what I started thinking...why in the workd put so much time and energy into becoming a stronger swimmer when you are only going to pick up a few minutes overall on your weaker swimmers. Maybe i need to focus more on the bike and run...longer distances and on the bike the ability to go much faster. I am going to stay the course and continue to cross train equally in all three, but it just made me think.

I enjoy my time in the pool more than anything else, but I came under same rationale last year that is doesn't pay in terms of improved overall race times.   Longer the course, more theory plays out....   I dropped my 3rd swim workout and added another bike/run brick in my weekly training plans.  

That said, I can tell you that there are other benefits to a strong swim.   This is especially true for beginners.  There is nothing like mentally preparing for a race (especially on race day) knowing that you have the ability to not only survive the swim, but kick it's butt.   I know that my (over)concentration on the swim my first few years racing really made a difference and was big mental edge when toeing the starting line.

Now that confidence is there, I have slowed my % of training time dedicated to the swim.  I know I will not be the fastest out of the water, but like you saw in that guy's bike/run times, I hope to catch some of my AG'ers later in the race!  

2011-01-24 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3318661

User image

Regular
K-Vegas, NC
Thanks for that feedback - i def think you're right about the confidence...I too enjoy the swims more than running and biking, but I may start cutting back on that and adding some additional runs, bikes, bricks - maybe even some weight training in place of my third swim of every week.

2011-01-24 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3318661

User image

New user

cardenas1 - 2011-01-24 3:10 PM

That said, I can tell you that there are other benefits to a strong swim.   This is especially true for beginners.  There is nothing like mentally preparing for a race (especially on race day) knowing that you have the ability to not only survive the swim, but kick it's butt.   I know that my (over)concentration on the swim my first few years racing really made a difference and was big mental edge when toeing the starting line.

I had just decided yesterday to up my swimming from 3x to 5x a week, with the idea of accomplishing what you describe!
2011-01-25 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3319347

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
trinamuous - 2011-01-24 9:10 PM
cardenas1 - 2011-01-24 3:10 PM

I had just decided yesterday to up my swimming from 3x to 5x a week, with the idea of accomplishing what you describe!

I think that is smart strategy the first year and even 2nd year.   Then when you have that confidence and start to see other areeas of weakness to work on, drop a swim workout or at least some yardage.   For my HIM training I get by with 2-3 swims a week anywhere from 4,600 weekly yards to 7,500.   I can't see the additional benefit after an hour in the pool to be honest.    
2011-01-26 11:56 PM

New user

still here, still here!  baby turned 1 last week, and we were wrapped up in that and birthday party stuff and family... exhausting.  he's also sick this week.  fun times. 
2011-01-27 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Just spent the last 48 hours laid up with food posioning or a stomach bug - not fun.  Hoping to be back at the gym or on the bike by tomorrow.  I hate getting sick.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amazon's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6