BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-01-12 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2608557

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED
I hope Hercules gets better soon. He looks like a real sweetie.

I love the name Cooter. That cracks me up!

2010-01-13 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2580219

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Hi ladies! 2010 is in full swing and our group is doing great! Here are some group blog highlights from the past week:

Youngatheart – Carol – Got creative this week with fitting the walking in like parking further away to walk into work. Every little bit helps!

Krescent – Saw a good workout on the 7th, but haven’t seen much of her in the blogs or around here. Are you out there?

Nimue – Jessie – Wow! Awesome job getting the workouts in and logging them this week!

SGeranium – Christine – Doing a great job logging the workouts, and has been doing great on the run workouts lately!

swgraham – Sandi – Fantastic work getting the workouts in amongst saving doggies lives and rescuing pups. She has logged every day this month so far!

carol5133 –  Carol – She’s not allowed in the pool for 2 weeks while getting over an ear infection, but she’s still getting workouts in where she can with the bike and run!

Jae.miles – Jessica – Picked a training plan this week and is working on getting towards her first Olympic tri! She’s doing an awesome job logging the workouts now that she has her plan.

Denverjess – Jess – Signed up for our group and disappeared. No logs or comments here. Where did you go?

Dene – Nadine – Great job on the workouts lately, and using the “Health” feature of the log!

Trainforacure – Carol –  Has been kicking butt on the bike workouts lately and is going to do an awesome cycling tour of Puerto Rico soon!

Way to go!
2010-01-14 4:38 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
There's a great thread in Tri Talk right now about tips for your first triathlon.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=193257&start=1
2010-01-15 9:16 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Anyone have any weekend plans? I'm hitting the trails this weekend with the biking and running. Weather is really nice right now. If I could box up some sunshine and send it to the ladies in cold climates, I would!
2010-01-15 9:30 AM

I'm hosting an all girls tamale making party,  is that what you mean?Wink  I only have two days to get that swim in, and we have family hike on Sunday.  Twill be lovely, I haven't been out in the mountains in weeks.  I've requested a waterfall to look upon.    I need to get a long run in tomorrow too.  I guess my agenda is pretty full.  Happy three day if you get it. 

C
2010-01-15 12:45 PM

I will take that sunshine you offered.  But, we are having heat wave. It's 40 here. 
I am headed to a hockey game tonight with a friend.  The tomorrow I am headed to the rollerskating rink with another friend who is going to try out for roller derby in a month and half.  Should be fun!

2010-01-15 5:58 PM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Yes.  I'm going for the double again and no distractions/errands to get in the way and completely motivated by major guilt 'cause of low mileage this week.

When I got on the trainer last Sunday, I realized that after 9 weeks of the trainer I was completely bored and tired of training.  That surely added to the reluctance to get on the trainer.  I literally loathe the thing.  I hope it won't be like that with HIM training since one can always vary the workouts.  But, with long distance cycling training in the winter....well   is the same thing 6x a week.Frown  But, I plan to rev up again this long weekend and then the following 2 weeks before tapering down when I get to PR.  As they say, it's the home stretch!
2010-01-15 8:45 PM

Carol:  I can't even imagine putting up that kind of time on an indoor  trainer.  That's a level of mental toughness I just don't have/ can't imagine.  Good luck 
2010-01-15 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
It has been raining here all day, so did some time on the treadmill. Smile
2010-01-16 8:51 PM

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
My plans included an extended ride spin class this morning. The instructor led us through a hill training ride, with persistent increased resistance. It didn't feel too bad, until I followed it up with an hour of Zumba. I guess the added resistance worked me harder than I thought it did. I slept the afternoon away!

I'm struggling to find the right nutrition for longer workouts. On days like this, and also on race days, I am exhausted afterwards.This brings me to a question...How do you eat for the days when you get harder/longer workouts in? Do you add in extra calories the days before, or the day of? I stayed pretty well hydrated, but my energy drops significantly anyway. I've read several articles that say different things. What does your cumulative experience tell you?
2010-01-16 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
I have no scientific data to support this, but I prefer to pick a calorie level and maintain that across all days. So if I think I need on average 2000 calories, I try to eat that much even on day that are rest days or heavy workout days. I found that it's easier to manage a steady diet than try to change how much I eat based on how much I exercise.

2010-01-18 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2617849

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
jae.miles - ...How do you eat for the days when you get harder/longer workouts in? Do you add in extra calories the days before, or the day of? I stayed pretty well hydrated, but my energy drops significantly anyway. I've read several articles that say different things. What does your cumulative experience tell you?

I've only been doing endurance stuff since this last April, so I don't have an extensive data base of experience.  But, what has worked for me is varying calorie consumption based on activity. Prior to the long rides, I do carb loading with sweet potatoes.  While working out, the rule of thumb I follow when I do my long rides is to eat before I'm hungry (liquid nutrition like Perpetum, but you can use bars etc) and to drink before I'm thirsty.  So, I do this about every 20 mins.  Afterwards, if I'm at home, I drink a recovery smoothie that contains fruit, hemp protein, hemp oil, and dulse flakes.  When I'm not home, I drink either Vega's Whole Foods Optimizer or Recoverite (sp? it's from Hammer.)  This is only experience with cycling.  I'm sure things will be modified when I start running and swimming.  I would also state that part of the initial fatigue I experienced when I started distance cycling was just that my body was not used to it.  The first time I went above 25 miles (to 54 miles,) I got home, passed out on the sofa and slept for 3.5 hours.  I never knew what hit me!! hahaha! Now, my body can handle up to 160 miles in one day and hopefully it will handle 375 miles over 3 days!!! Laughing
2010-01-18 6:38 PM

New user
Hey everyone
    haven't heard from anyone in a while.  still out here plugging along.  Read an article on the sit by a 50 yr old that was a real inspiration.  Made me rethink some of my I'm to old attitude.  It was such an inspiration.  Hope this finds everyone well and let me know how your progress is going.
    We have a anchor lady on the evening news that d a 26.6 mile marathon, but also has 1/2 mile ones also.  I am unable to get to Jacksonville about an hour awway to participate in the training so I have requested info to start my own out here  wish me luck  have a lot of people interested so well see how it goes.
2010-01-20 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2617849

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
jae.miles - 2010-01-16 7:51 PM
I'm struggling to find the right nutrition for longer workouts. On days like this, and also on race days, I am exhausted afterwards.This brings me to a question...How do you eat for the days when you get harder/longer workouts in? Do you add in extra calories the days before, or the day of? I stayed pretty well hydrated, but my energy drops significantly anyway. I've read several articles that say different things. What does your cumulative experience tell you?

I eat well the day before (especially a good dinner). I'll have something for breakfast that morning, like a PB and honey sandwich with Gatorade to start the hydration. For longer workouts I have to take in calories during the workout. Bike rides I average about 200 cal/hr intake. Usually it's in liquid-form like Infinit or another sports drink. When I'm endurance mountain biking I like solid foods and eat Snickers bars. Kind of funny but it works!

Everyone is different so it takes some experimenting. When I was doing centry rides with friends, one of my friends would stop at the gas stations and buy a ham & cheese sandwich. Everyone has their nutrition quirks, and this worked for him!
2010-01-20 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2620530

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Youngatheart - 2010-01-18 5:38 PM Hey everyone
    haven't heard from anyone in a while.  still out here plugging along.  Read an article on the sit by a 50 yr old that was a real inspiration.  Made me rethink some of my I'm to old attitude.  It was such an inspiration.  Hope this finds everyone well and let me know how your progress is going.
    We have a anchor lady on the evening news that d a 26.6 mile marathon, but also has 1/2 mile ones also.  I am unable to get to Jacksonville about an hour awway to participate in the training so I have requested info to start my own out here  wish me luck  have a lot of people interested so well see how it goes.

That is awesome! Especially with others interested as well. Always great when you can get a group together to train with.

As you explore more in the forums, you'll meet fellow BTers that are older that do amazing things. KathyG is awesome and she has lost a lot of weight and does Ironmans. Max is another one. Great guy in his 60s that works hard at this sport. One of the main moderators on this site, "the bear" is a great cyclist and runner. All very cool people.
2010-01-21 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Hope everyone's training is going well. I went to tri club workout on Tuesday for the first time in a while. I was a little sore yesterday, but really sore today. Oh well, that's what I get for taking 9 months off from training.

2010-01-22 7:39 AM

So, the other day after I finished doing my circle swim, which was scary since it was only my fourth swim, I was in the locker room eavesdropping on some women who were talking tri.  And being me (I am really outgoing and not at all shy) I told them I was eavesdropping and looking to do my first one this year.  The one woman who is a veteran was really nice.  Gave me all sorts of tips and told me which races in the area are best for beginners.  She even offered to work out with me a few times.  She was really cool!  I keep getting more and more excited.   Happy weekend. Tongue out
2010-01-22 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2628313

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Nimue - 2010-01-22 5:39 AM So, the other day after I finished doing my circle swim, which was scary since it was only my fourth swim, I was in the locker room eavesdropping on some women who were talking tri.  And being me (I am really outgoing and not at all shy) I told them I was eavesdropping and looking to do my first one this year.  The one woman who is a veteran was really nice.  Gave me all sorts of tips and told me which races in the area are best for beginners.  She even offered to work out with me a few times.  She was really cool!  I keep getting more and more excited.   Happy weekend. Tongue out

Good for you. I belong to a tri club and I find that the mutual support is great. Several of the folks are doing or have done Ironman's so it's great to get their advice on stuff like nutrition, training, race strategy, etc.
2010-01-22 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2628313

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Nimue - 2010-01-22 6:39 AM So, the other day after I finished doing my circle swim, which was scary since it was only my fourth swim, I was in the locker room eavesdropping on some women who were talking tri.  And being me (I am really outgoing and not at all shy) I told them I was eavesdropping and looking to do my first one this year.  The one woman who is a veteran was really nice.  Gave me all sorts of tips and told me which races in the area are best for beginners.  She even offered to work out with me a few times.  She was really cool!  I keep getting more and more excited.   Happy weekend. Tongue out

Sweet! She sounds really cool. Especially with the race info. Some races aren't as well organized or have somewhat scary courses. So it's nice she offered which ones are beginner friendly.
2010-01-25 11:41 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Anyone else need a weekend from the weekend? Holy cow I am dragging this morning. I just want to sit in my office chair and not move. Or perhaps take a nap, but I think they frown on that around here.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and is ready to hit the workouts again this week!
2010-01-25 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2633355

Yep I felt like a hit a wall this weekend.  I really struggled on Sat and Sun, so I took an extra day off today.  Trying to feel it out on my body so I am chilling tonight instead.  Back to it tomorrow!

2010-01-25 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
My work week is fri, sat, sun, mon and my weekend is tues, wed, thurs. So I am just starting my weekend. Will let you know how it goes on Friday. My goal is to get some good bike rides in during the next 3 days as it is not supposed to rain and I'm taking Sat and Sun off from work (vacation) to go to Seattle to visit friends. That usually means no workout time and lots of food and drink that is not included in the "training plan".

As far as the work week went, Sun was a long day and I missed my afternoon workout. And then when I got home I decided to watch the 2nd half of the Saints/Vikings game. I guess I could have done that while on the treadmill, but somehow I just wasn't motivated.
2010-01-26 11:36 AM

Yes busy weekend here as well.  I finally got my butt in the pool.  I couldn't find my ear plugs, so I went without.  I got extremely nauseous about 10 laps in.  I stopped flip turns, but I couldn't shake it.  This is why me and swimming aren't friends, most of the time I end up feeling just awful after I'm done.  I need to figure it out.  Any thoughts? I'll try anything.   The dids and I talked Dh into joining us at the pool literally 15 minutes after he finished a tough 17 mile run.  I thought he would chill in the pool while I swam laps, he didn't and end up getting sick in the pool parking lot after we were done.  TOOOOO much.  We were quite a pair on opposite ends of the couch.  The kids think we're loons. 

We had a nice 5 mile family hike on Sunday.  After we took the kids out for pizza and root beer.  then we had our usual conversation about if that sends the wrong message.  Work hard, reward with junk food?    We debate it every time we do it.  Laughing  We never come to a conclusion Laughing

I'm setting a goal of  getting more laps in with the earplugs this time to see if that's the trigger.  And I'm bumping up my long run to 7 miles this week.  I've never run that far before and I'm feeling a bit stuck where I'm at.  so we shall see. 

Hope all is well with everyone else and the training time is easy.

Christine
2010-01-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2635313

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
SGeranium - 2010-01-26 10:36 AM Yes busy weekend here as well.  I finally got my butt in the pool.  I couldn't find my ear plugs, so I went without.  I got extremely nauseous about 10 laps in.  I stopped flip turns, but I couldn't shake it.  This is why me and swimming aren't friends, most of the time I end up feeling just awful after I'm done.  I need to figure it out.  Any thoughts? I'll try anything.  

Try easing back into the workouts, along with the earplugs. When I take a break from the pool and then start back up again, I have to do shorter workouts to get my head used to the side to side motion again. Otherwise I get sick. After a few workouts it starts to get better, and within a few weeks I'm back to regular workouts.

I just started adding flipturns to my workouts a few months ago, so those are the first things to go when I start to feel nauseous in the pool.
2010-01-29 3:54 AM

Hi Girls....just stopping in to say hi! I'm going to try my first triathalon this Saturday and I'm a bit nervous, but very excited. The local university is hosting a 4-race indoor triathalon series this winter/spring that I've decided to complete. Having a race in mind is always a motivator for me, so signing up for the series commits me to training for the next 3 races...woohoo!  Between being sick and being a slacker, I've not been training very much, so my goal is just to finish. I'll check in after the race to let you know how it went.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7