Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2012-01-06 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3946139

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED

Back from the winter wonderland and back to work this morning ( as you can see I'm working hard).  Big sigh...

It looks like the group has been doing awesome with the workouts.  I must confess I didn't get that run in while I was away.  I plan to do that tonite after work...Tomorrow will be bike ride on trainer and short weight workout...Sunday will be day 3 of the C25K...The pools get back to normal schedule next week so will have to force myself to go a few times starting next week...

2012-01-06 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3968903

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
jennifer65 - 2012-01-03 4:38 PM
DeputyDawg - 2012-01-03 8:01 PM

Hey gang.

We just made a spur of the moment decision to head to the cottage for a few days.  Only use crazy Canadians head north in the winter to where it is colder and snowier Smile.  Most sane people head to warmer climates.  I have taken along my winter running gear so hope to get at least one run in, but will definitely get walks in.  I did do 20 min bike this morning followed by a quick 10 min weight session. Will log it when I get back Thurs nite.  Have a good few days and enjoy your training!!!

Dee

Holidays huh? Sooo jealous - even if you do have to run in the snow.

Sadly it wasn't holidays, just regular days off... I work a 4 on, 4 off schedule... The holidays come in Feb and then I'm going somewhere warm like a normal person Smile

2012-01-06 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3971042

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
nursenoa - 2012-01-04 3:03 PM

I won't be posting my workouts or goals for a while - the finish line I am looking at now is birth!! Though I think dividing the labor into transitions and legs will be helpful this time...

Noa

Lol, I love it !!! Don't forget about the post "race" massage

2012-01-06 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3971457

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
saraR - 2012-01-04 6:27 PM

I tend to be pretty hard on myself so I was thinking I handn't really had any successes but I guess the fact that I am half way through my week and am totally on schedule is pretty good. I also did an extra 38min walk today on top of my "regular" workout that I had planned. I'll smile to that!

Wow, just looking at your log and you've been doing awesome.  That is a huge sucess !!!

2012-01-06 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3971909

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

I9Dara - 2012-01-04 11:01 PM I am having a great week thus far. Mon- set out to swim 8x25 and did 38x 25 followed by a 45 min spin classtues- yoga 90minWednesday: swim 40x 25 followed by 45 min spin classI am really excited about the swimming. It's been a long time since I've done laps ins the pool. It feels great! I am excited to see how I progress. Here's to a good rest of the week! Ok, I don't know why I can't figure out how to change the look of my post. I double spaced the paragraphs and it shows up as one big paragraph. Hmmm...

Great job Dara.  I can't wait to see how you progress too

2012-01-06 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3972470

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
thebonmama - 2012-01-05 10:08 AM

Hey ladies... I don't mean to be a downer this week, but it's been tough.  Sara, you were right about the couch and the chocolate, so I stayed away from both, but it wasn't quite enough to get me to my workouts the last couple days.  Yesterday, a surprise dr. visit for my son threw my schedule off, even though I wanted to get back out there.

Success: my gym bag is packed, and I will be headed to the pool in 2 1/2 hours to knock out a workout.  This week, I'm taking what I can get.

Second Success: just signed up for my Feb. 5k - a Mardi Gras themed-race!  Signed hubs up as well, and we'll be pushing the kiddos in the strollers.  Signed my 3 year old up for the tot trot, too!  Trying to encourage a friend's family to come as well.  Might not be 100% focus on my best race, but will get my husband and daughter active with me, which is one of my goals for the year, so yay!

Kim, a 10 mile run sounds torturous, but awesome!  I can't imagine running that far!  I will get somewhere near there soon, though, I suppose - as I get prepared for my 10K in July!

I'm actually itching to run today, but I won't get a chance to get in the water again until Tuesday, so I need to do that workout today as planned.  If it's warmer after work, I may take the kids for a quick jog around the park. Hey, 20 minutes is better than 0, right?!

I hope your son's doing ok.  You need to add the fact that you stayed away from both the couch and the chocolate to your list of successes.  That is a huge one especially if you're an emotional eater like I am.

2012-01-06 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3974360

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
ingleshteechur - 2012-01-06 8:13 AM

Good morning all!  TGIF!  Even though it was a short week back to school, it still sort of felt long!  Today will be a long day for me as my 8th graders are in charge of concessions for four back-to-back high school basketball games this afternoon/evening so I may not check in again until tomorrow, but you never know!

So, let's talk about the weekend!  How do you fit your training into weekend plans?  What about diet?  For me, Saturday and Sunday are still training days--I usually do my training early while the family is still sleeping, so nothing really new for me there.  Diet, on the other hand, always gets tricky for me on the weekends.  I tend to eat extremely clean during the week but tend to fall way off on the weekend, essentially negating all the positive changes during the week.  I have made huge improvements on that front, however.  I have eaten Paleo all week and love it.  My goal for the weekend is to stick to my eating plan but allow for a little treat here and there.  I am striving for a 95:5 balance.  Balance...for me that has been a tough road to embrace when it comes to diet.

Have agreat

I don't have real weekends per say.  I work a four on (2 days, 2 nites), four off schedule. My four off and my swing shift are usually when I get my workouts in.  I am usually exhausted after working days and have to force myself to get a workout in.  In terms of my eating, I have been doing fairly well since Oct.  I havent had any alcohol and the only junk food I have allowed myself has been a few shortbread cookies.  So I will continue to follow this until at least my holidays in Feb.

2012-01-06 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3974696

User image

Elite
DeputyDawg - 2012-01-06 9:32 AM

I don't have real weekends per say.  I work a four on (2 days, 2 nites), four off schedule. My four off and my swing shift are usually when I get my workouts in.  I am usually exhausted after working days and have to force myself to get a workout in.  In terms of my eating, I have been doing fairly well since Oct.  I havent had any alcohol and the only junk food I have allowed myself has been a few shortbread cookies.  So I will continue to follow this until at least my holidays in Feb.

You sound much more disciplined than I when it comes to sweets! 

2012-01-06 2:23 PM

User image

New user

Vancouver

Like Dee, my work schedule is all over the place so I never have regular weekends. I can actually say I have been a naughty girl the last little bit. I generally eat fairly healthy but my issues are portion control and binge eating. I won't touch junk food for the entire week and then one day have a whole box of chocolates in one sitting. Terrible!

Now that I am getting in the groove of the work outs, I am going to start being more diligent with my nutrition. I am trying to have a high protein diet that excludes most wheat products and refined carbs.

-Sara

PS: The manager screwed up my schedule so I actually don't have to work till the 9th. Going to see if I can fit into a bathing suit so I can get going on the swimming (my fav work out!).  

2012-01-07 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3975337

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

You sound much more disciplined than I when it comes to sweets! 

I would rather be more disciplined about working out like you are !!!

2012-01-07 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3975470

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
saraR - 2012-01-06 3:23 PM

PS: The manager screwed up my schedule so I actually don't have to work till the 9th. Going to see if I can fit into a bathing suit so I can get going on the swimming (my fav work out!).  

Did you find yourself a bathing suit?  I have to do that too but have been putting it off.  I hate shopping for them, it's depressing.

2012-01-07 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

Happy Saturday morning to the Krew.  Hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend. I had a little victory last nite.  By the time I got home from work and got chores done I really didn't want to work out.  Got myself out of the lazy boy and forced myself onto treadmill at 830 tho and got it done !!! Felt great afterwards and slept surprisingly well too.  I'm stuck at work until 430 today and then will head home and ride bike and do some weights. 

Have a great day everyone !! Looking forward to reading about your workouts.

2012-01-07 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3976427

User image

Elite
DeputyDawg - 2012-01-07 8:12 AM

Happy Saturday morning to the Krew.  Hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend. I had a little victory last nite.  By the time I got home from work and got chores done I really didn't want to work out.  Got myself out of the lazy boy and forced myself onto treadmill at 830 tho and got it done !!! Felt great afterwards and slept surprisingly well too.  I'm stuck at work until 430 today and then will head home and ride bike and do some weights. 

Have a great day everyone !! Looking forward to reading about your workouts.

That is a victory!!!  Good job!

2012-01-07 9:55 AM

User image

Elite

Good morning all!  Yesterday afternoon I starting feeling the ominous itch in the back of my throat and this morning woke up feeling pretty cruddy.  Uuuuuuuugh!  I was hoping to make it through winter without getting sick!  Now that I'm up and medicated I feel OK so I'm going ahead with my scheduled 4 mile run, though it'll be on the treadmill since it's blowing like crazy out there.  I have a 14 mile run tomorrow so the rest of the day I promised myself to take it easy and get to bed early tonight to get plenty of rest.

Swimsuit shopping definitely isn't an exercise in building self esteem, that's for sure.  But, keep in mind what that body of yours can do.  Our bodies are strong, and getting stronger, and it's a beautiful thing!

2012-01-07 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3976417

User image

New user

Vancouver
DeputyDawg - 2012-01-08 6:03 AM
saraR - 2012-01-06 3:23 PM

Did you find yourself a bathing suit?  I have to do that too but have been putting it off.  I hate shopping for them, it's depressing.

Yes, I finally found a bathing suit! It was def painful tho :S. This is the heaviest ive ever been so it really sucked. I actually ended up buying a cool one that looks like a sleeveless, short wetsuit. Zips up at the front. They have them at swimco. I figure whatever I can get to make me comfortable so I can get out there and get in better shape!

Happy to hear about your success last night! I know how hard it is to get home from work and try to get to the gym. GOOD JOB!

2012-01-07 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3976417

DeputyDawg - 2012-01-07 9:03 AM

Ugh!! Ditto that!!!

2012-01-08 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Right then. Not a marvelous weekend.

I got home from work friday night and I knew my partner had finished before me and I was kind of hoping he might make tea for us for when I got in. However, this did not occur. He was lying on sofa saying he had a migraine (I haven't heard him complain of that before) and so had been unable to do anything since he had got home from work. So, he went off to bed and I went into very messy kitchen to find something to eat. And then i sat infront of tv till half past midnight eating pretty much everything and sinking about half a bottle of wine.  Consequently - i really did not want to get up for running on sat morning - and neither did he! So I missed my run.  I have done my share of blaming him for everything but I think i do sabotage myself frequently.  This is a recurring pattern of mine. Hopefully by writing it down and sharing I can improve my reactions next time round.

On the plus side.  By sat afternoon we were all sorted and happy again. On sunday (today) i was due to go out on my bike for 80 mins. I couldn't do it this morning as I had my son and we do our weekly cleaning on sunday mornings. So, in the afternoon I really should have got my butt out there. But its been very dull (although not particularly cold or raining or windy) and 80 mins is a long time and like some of our members here who don't like swimming because they are a little larger than they'd like to be, i hate looking fat and useless on the bike. And there are cars and junctions and everything. So, I  went to my partner (who has been very busy today sorting out the garage) and asked for help, (something i don't think i seriously do very often) . I might have whinged a bit too. So, he suggested the turbo trainer (which I bought not two months ago for such an eventuality), that he would move to the living room for me (as its usually in the garage) and I could pedal and watch tv. What a good idea. But...honestly, 80 mins on a turbo trainer!!. I think the lesson I have learned (apart from not being afraid to ask for help), is to actually get out on the bike when I can. The trainer is all the work and none of the fun. But I did it, and I have my partner to thank for that.

And I'm off to the pool tonight for swimming with my tri club and some strength stuff afterwards.  So really an instructive weekend. And I hope I properly learn my lessons.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. Its helped me sort things in my head a little bit - writing it all down.

Jennifer

2012-01-08 5:16 PM

User image

Sarnia

Hi all,

Started spin classes last week.  Brutal but loved it.

Swimming starts tomorrow.  Terrified.  I can't yet swim one lap.  I'm not going to let it get the best of me, that's for sure!!  

Wish me luck, God knows I'm gonna need it!!  Laughing

2012-01-08 6:11 PM

User image

Elite
Jennifer...at least you got your 80 minutes in..that is something! Plus more activities tonight. As for the rambling-in my opinion that is part of this group. In writing out our frustrations we can see some patterns that we need to work on. Like you said, it helps sort out the head a little bit. You learned a bit...asking for help is ok! Believe me, it's a lesson I need to remind myself of now and again.
2012-01-08 6:18 PM

User image

Elite
Hello Krew! Unfortunately I'm writing this from bed...I am down for the count and I'm not happy. I suspect I have strep throat, will get to the clinic tomorrow. Missed my 14 mile training run but I've got to just let it it go. Hubby is good at reminding me that one missed run is not the end of the world and fitness will not be lost. I'm trying to be a good patient but it's hard for me to have to rest. But, I will rest and sleep and hope that speeds recovery! Hope you have all had great weekends!
2012-01-08 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3978527

User image

New user

Vancouver

ingleshteechur - 2012-01-09 4:18 PM Hello Krew! Unfortunately I'm writing this from bed...I am down for the count and I'm not happy. I suspect I have strep throat, will get to the clinic tomorrow. Missed my 14 mile training run but I've got to just let it it go. Hubby is good at reminding me that one missed run is not the end of the world and fitness will not be lost. I'm trying to be a good patient but it's hard for me to have to rest. But, I will rest and sleep and hope that speeds recovery! Hope you have all had great weekends!

Hey Kim, sorry to hear you are out for the count. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

2012-01-08 6:59 PM

User image

New user

Vancouver

Stoked about my workout today. Did my longest ride EVER - 75min. Woohoo! Week 1 - DONE!

Working on my next weeks schedule

2012-01-08 11:47 PM
in reply to: #3977860

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
jennifer65 - 2012-01-08 11:01 AM

Right then. Not a marvelous weekend.

I got home from work friday night and I knew my partner had finished before me and I was kind of hoping he might make tea for us for when I got in. However, this did not occur. He was lying on sofa saying he had a migraine (I haven't heard him complain of that before) and so had been unable to do anything since he had got home from work. So, he went off to bed and I went into very messy kitchen to find something to eat. And then i sat infront of tv till half past midnight eating pretty much everything and sinking about half a bottle of wine.  Consequently - i really did not want to get up for running on sat morning - and neither did he! So I missed my run.  I have done my share of blaming him for everything but I think i do sabotage myself frequently.  This is a recurring pattern of mine. Hopefully by writing it down and sharing I can improve my reactions next time round.

On the plus side.  By sat afternoon we were all sorted and happy again. On sunday (today) i was due to go out on my bike for 80 mins. I couldn't do it this morning as I had my son and we do our weekly cleaning on sunday mornings. So, in the afternoon I really should have got my butt out there. But its been very dull (although not particularly cold or raining or windy) and 80 mins is a long time and like some of our members here who don't like swimming because they are a little larger than they'd like to be, i hate looking fat and useless on the bike. And there are cars and junctions and everything. So, I  went to my partner (who has been very busy today sorting out the garage) and asked for help, (something i don't think i seriously do very often) . I might have whinged a bit too. So, he suggested the turbo trainer (which I bought not two months ago for such an eventuality), that he would move to the living room for me (as its usually in the garage) and I could pedal and watch tv. What a good idea. But...honestly, 80 mins on a turbo trainer!!. I think the lesson I have learned (apart from not being afraid to ask for help), is to actually get out on the bike when I can. The trainer is all the work and none of the fun. But I did it, and I have my partner to thank for that.

And I'm off to the pool tonight for swimming with my tri club and some strength stuff afterwards.  So really an instructive weekend. And I hope I properly learn my lessons.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. Its helped me sort things in my head a little bit - writing it all down.

Jennifer

Sorry you had such a crappy Friday nite .  You handled it way better than I would have as I would have downed the whole bottle of wine Smile

2012-01-08 11:47 PM
in reply to: #3977860

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

zaj17 - 2012-01-08 6:16 PM

Hi all,

Started spin classes last week.  Brutal but loved it.

Swimming starts tomorrow.  Terrified.  I can't yet swim one lap.  I'm not going to let it get the best of me, that's for sure!!  

Wish me luck, God knows I'm gonna need it!!  Laughing

We're in the same boat (no pun intended) when it comes to swimming.  Good luck today though I'm sure you'll do great.

Edited by DeputyDawg 2012-01-08 11:53 PM
2012-01-09 12:11 AM
in reply to: #3978527

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

ingleshteechur - 2012-01-08 7:18 PM Hello Krew! Unfortunately I'm writing this from bed...I am down for the count and I'm not happy. I suspect I have strep throat, will get to the clinic tomorrow. Missed my 14 mile training run but I've got to just let it it go. Hubby is good at reminding me that one missed run is not the end of the world and fitness will not be lost. I'm trying to be a good patient but it's hard for me to have to rest. But, I will rest and sleep and hope that speeds recovery! Hope you have all had great weekends!

Your hubby is a smart man.  Get your rest and take care of yourself so you're better real soon. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kim's Krew of Newbs CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7