BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-04-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1349986

Subject: RE: light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED
Registration for the Marine Corps Marathon in October opens today at noon - cross your fingers that my registration goes through! I imagine the server will be bombarded with people trying to register as it's a really popular race and sells out in a couple of hours.

2008-04-30 10:23 AM

Hooray - registration opened early and I'm in This will be my first marathon...yikes!
2008-04-30 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1371841

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Wow I feel like I've missed so much!

First off - good luck for the Marine Corps Marathon! I hope you get in. ;-)

Swimming - I was a horrible swimmer last year (just started swimming for the first time ever in Jan 2007) but this winter I learned two VERY valuable things that have totally transformed me in the pool. I know you've all touched on them already - but I'll reinforce that.
1. I learned how to breath properly - forcefully expel all my air underwater and just take a quick intake breath every 3 strokes ... I went from feeling hyperventilated to feeling like I can swim forever. I've also employed a yoga technique - when I'm swimming as I'm exhaling underwater I'm actively concentrating on relaxing my shoulders and back and opening my chest, into an almost down-ward dog type stretch ... it seems to relax me, and keep my mind off the fact that I'm not a good swimmer!
2. I swim faster when I slow down. I really do. When I start to tire, I start doing the "glide stroke" so I glide for a second or two before taking my next stroke. It really seems to work.

And to everyone who's balancing work and school and training and family - it's tough but you guys all rock! I too struggle with the balance - working full time (for 6 more shifts!!) and going the school full time, setting up a business, tri training, single with an old house that needs work, a huge yard that needs work ... yup - it's tough. But we are strong women (and man) and we can make it happen! ;-)
2008-04-30 1:39 PM

User image

Colorado

Good luck on your marathon Chrissy!  Congratulations getting in, too. 

I'm trying the copy and paste thing and it's just not looking so good.  Guess I have to actually read the instruction manual included above....then again I need to get out and run (it's lunch time) if I'm going to get any training in today.

Have a great day everyone.

2008-04-30 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Andria - when you figure it out, please explain. Thanks!

The swimming tips were very helpful. I will try the breathing. I always feel like I'm running out of breath way too quickly. I would like to feel like I could swim forever. I'm committed to spending more time in the pool and making my weakeness a strength. I get my clearance next week to get back in the pool and I'm actually getting a bit excited now that everyone is helping me with my mission to not drown.
2008-04-30 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1373043

gilmurray - 2008-04-30 3:39 PM Andria - when you figure it out, please explain. Thanks! The swimming tips were very helpful. I will try the breathing. I always feel like I'm running out of breath way too quickly. I would like to feel like I could swim forever. I'm committed to spending more time in the pool and making my weakeness a strength. I get my clearance next week to get back in the pool and I'm actually getting a bit excited now that everyone is helping me with my mission to not drown.

You just have to learn how to control the air flow when you breathe out - it's easier said than done, and I'm by no means perfect at it 100% of the time. But I used to sing and I've found that's actually helped me, since we used to do exercises where we'd breathe in and then let it out of 8 beats, 16 beats, whatever, and the point was to control it in such a way that you didn't run out before the end count. Singing is all about breath control; for example, to sing quietly, you actually have to expend breath FASTER.

What I sometimes find myself doing is when I breathe out underwater, I breathe through my mouth and my nose, and so I often make sounds, just like intoning one random pitch. Not exactly "singing", but making sound forces you to breath out and not hold your breath! Humming makes you breathe out through your nose, so that works just as well. Another tip from singing - to control your breath in singing, you use your diaphragm and take deep breaths that expand your lower abdomen, not your ribcage (your ribs WILL expand, but the expansion should start in your belly). Think of it like filling up an inner tube around your waist. This sort of deep breathing will keep you from taking those shallow, gaspy breaths that are inefficient and leave you running out of air far too early. Spirit-fire's pointers are along the same lines and are all part of good breath technique. Expanding your abs, then your middle stomach then your chest, keeping your shoulders relaxed - that's all part of good breath support.

I can explain in more detail, if anyone would like - it really does help.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-04-30 2:57 PM

2008-04-30 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I agree, I used to be unable to breathe in front crawl and always felt like I was gasping. Then I practiced and managed to do one side but found it difficult to do both sides. Now I can do both relatively comfortably but need to work at increasing the pace. Keep working at it - it will come in the end.

Well done on getting into the Marathon Chrissy
2008-04-30 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1373249

Kate_r - 2008-04-30 4:45 PM Well done on getting into the Marathon Chrissy

Thanks The real trick is finishing it

2008-04-30 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Going back to the comment you had - I think there will always be people about that think that way but that's their problem. They have nothing to gain by being so nasty. TBH I'm a little worried about the culture here in Scotland. While the guys on here are great, and there are a few from the UK, I once got chatting to a guy on a train who saw I was reading a triathlon mag (in the days when I wished I could take part but didn't have the courage) and he said that it was quite competitive and cliquey - but that was mainly in the higher ranking categories. It's still a little scary to me but to be honest I care more about the opinion of you guys and the people on here than I do the nay sayers and race for myself not anyone else.
2008-04-30 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1371344

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
light_sabe_r - 2008-04-30 7:34 PM
I breath on almost every right stroke which is about every 4th kick. (Except when I'm swimming) When I'm sprinting I can breathe every 4 strokes but find I can't keep that up more than 50m or so. AND I'm buggared afterwards to the point of being almost out of breath. When I breath right stroke I've gone for 2km (and I feel as though I can do more if when I stop)

I really should preview my posts... O_O the stuff in bold should say "Except when SPRINTING"

bondgirl - 2008-04-30 8:03 PM I know how to do flip turns but I've never stayed swim fit enough to use them in my training. I need my air! iIve never seen it as a crucial skill for me to implement in my training. There are other things I need to do first like being able to make the distance..

I like the way you put that Tammie! 

bcart1991 - 2008-04-30 11:47 PM The trick to getting better with your swimming (I read this somewhere, and by God, IT WORKS!) is: GET SLOWER TO GET FASTER.

BINGO!  Well put Brian!   If you slow down and focus on technique for the first few weeks of your swim training,everything else falls into place.  Since we're at the END of the season

wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-01 2:23 AM Hooray - registration opened early and I'm in This will be my first marathon...yikes!

We're not worthy!  We're not Worthy!!!

Well done Chrissy!!!  I can only DREAM of Marathons at this stage.  Running is my weakness.  We're rooting for ya!  PS:  Chrissy your technique of singing or holding a note is FASCINATING!    It's a good way to do it too! 

SpiritFire - 2008-05-01 2:30 AMAnd to everyone who's balancing work and school and training and family - it's tough but you guys all rock! But we are strong women (and man) and we can make it happen! ;-)

Here here!

AndriaLL - 2008-05-01 5:39 AM

I'm trying the copy and paste thing and it's just not looking so good. Guess I have to actually read the instruction manual included above....then again I need to get out and run (it's lunch time) if I'm going to get any training in today.

Hmmm....  I'll email you the code.  If anyone else want's the raw code let me know and I'll email it to you too! (I can't send the code via PM)  Private message me your email if you haven't got it in your profile. 

gilmurray - 2008-05-01 6:39 AM I'm committed to spending more time in the pool and making my weakeness a strength. I get my clearance next week to get back in the pool and I'm actually getting a bit excited now that everyone is helping me with my mission to not drown.

That's the spirit!  You've got the DRIVE girl!

2008-04-30 7:30 PM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
I was bad today. I'll make up for it tomorrow, I promise.

2008-04-30 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1373290

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
wurkit_gurl - 2008-04-30 3:56 PM

Actually, the real trick is getting to the start line. Train sensibly and remain injury free then the race will be the icing on the cake.

Oh, and enjoy the WHOLE experience.

Edited by bondgirl 2008-04-30 7:39 PM
2008-04-30 8:00 PM
in reply to: #1373708

bondgirl - 2008-04-30 8:35 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-04-30 3:56 PM

Actually, the real trick is getting to the start line. Train sensibly and remain injury free then the race will be the icing on the cake.

Oh, and enjoy the WHOLE experience.

Yes, that is the hope! I have a training plan picked out, that was recommended by a runner friend (runner as in running since she was in jr high (she's my age), has run several marathons and coaches tracks, so I trust her ). I am hoping that my one knee holds up. Once in awhile it acts up, but it was fine during my 10-Miler training. I am going to have it looked at though, soon, just as a preventitve measure.

2008-04-30 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Wow -- thanks for all the swim tips. I haven't been in good enough shape to do flip turns for extended lenghts and am very glad to hear that there isn't really a benefit - so I won't be working them into my swims. Will definitely try slowing down on my swim tomorrow. The most I've swam straight with my normal breathing (4 or 5) was 3000 yds (W/O the flip turns which I truly just hate) - but I have learned now that swimming lenths in the pool is much different than any length in an OWS. Learning to slow down some may well help me get into a better comfort zone in an OWS. THANKS!

YEAH for Chrissy on the marathon!
2008-04-30 8:32 PM

So I got on the bike tonight for a bit (did a little brick). Man, even the slightest incline just kills me. There must be parts of the trail that are on a gradual incline, because in one direction, I am flying and then coming back, I can barely get my speed up - for stretches of a few miles, not just an obvious hill...wtf? Grrrr... 
2008-04-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #1373818

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
I want to know what Brian did to be bad.

2008-04-30 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1373901

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Jenni G - 2008-04-30 9:14 PM I want to know what Brian did to be bad.

Me too. Come on, fess up.

2008-04-30 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1373930

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
bondgirl - 2008-04-30 7:34 PM

X3 ... whadja do?!?
2008-04-30 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1371841

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Motivation ... I really need some! I've had such a hard time this past week getting out and training, and even my ride today was more of a pleasure ride than a training ride ... I didn't even hit aero position ...
Hopefully with only 6 shifts left at work and only 2 weeks left of school - come May 11 (my first official day of "unemployment") I'll find more time to train, as the only thing I'll have to do is garden and work on building my business ... but May 11 is only 2 weeks before my triathlon! Thankfully it's only a sprint distance, so I shouldn't suck tooooo badly. I'll probably BOP, though.

That said - I saw my naturopath/TCM doc today - and he's put me on a whole new regimen of supplements and stinky herbs ... if it works - it will reverse the abnormal cell growth in my tumours and maybe, just maybe, I won't have to have surgery. So cross your fingers!
But apparently one of the side effects will be an increase in energy (all those anti-oxidants, yum!). This is a good thing - maybe I'll train more! Another side effect is superstrong fingernails ... maybe I'll have long pretty nails for the first time in my life. lol.

Just wanted to vent. I feel crappy not training, but didn't even have time to wash the dishes today. Ugh.
2008-05-01 2:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Trina - don't be too hard on yourself - at least you are still getting on the bike and getting out. Sometimes we need to take a bit of time off and you obviously need to. You sound like you've got so much on in your life that the last thing you need to be doing is beating yourself up over training that hasn't been done. Look after yourself and you'll get back to it.

2008-05-01 6:31 AM
in reply to: #1374220

Kate_r - 2008-05-01 3:40 AM Trina - don't be too hard on yourself - at least you are still getting on the bike and getting out. Sometimes we need to take a bit of time off and you obviously need to. You sound like you've got so much on in your life that the last thing you need to be doing is beating yourself up over training that hasn't been done. Look after yourself and you'll get back to it.

X2. You obviously have a lot of other stuff going on in your life, and sometimes those things need to take priority. I, on the other hand, have no excuse not to be training harder than I currently am.

To go off of this - a lot of the "beginner" plans on this site have, say 2 swims, 2 bikes and 2 runs per week. I've been at this for a year, but while I'm not a beginner, I'm not amazing either. But it seems as though the consensus is: at least 4 runs a week, same for bike (assuming that one of these is a LONG weekend ride) and 3 swims a week to see any gains whatsoever. I want to be good at this, and I want to improve, but I also don't want to overtrain! Summer is a bit easier, but during the year I have choir practice one night, so that basically kills that night and I want to join a small group at my church when they open again in the fall, so that would shoot down another evening. I work until 6, and these things start at like 7, 7:30 and go until at least 9 and with traffic around here, you have to add a half and hour to get anywhere, so I most likely wouldn't have time between work and the activity to squeeze anything in. I've done short runs at the mini-track at the gym (which I hate) between work and choir practice and it works, but it cuts it close, and I can only get in 3 miles.

So with the 4-4-3 idea from above, that's 12 workout sessions a week. And assuming that one long ride and one long run happen on Saturday and Sunday respectively, that's still double work-out days most days during the week. So then I guess everyone who's any good does this? Doesn't seem like everyone does, but it seems like you'd have to, to be able to get in all the workouts and see any improvement.

2008-05-01 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1373957

User image

Colorado
SpiritFire - 2008-04-30 8:42 PM
bondgirl - 2008-04-30 7:34 PM

X3 ... whadja do?!?

I looked at his log and.....he ate popcorn and didn't work out.  I'm thinking that popcorn had better been absolutely SOAKED in butter to feel so guilty   .........OR, WAS IT SOMETHING HE DIDN'T LOG?????  That I want to know!

2008-05-01 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1374220

User image

Colorado

Kate_r - 2008-05-01 1:40 AM Trina - don't be too hard on yourself - at least you are still getting on the bike and getting out. Sometimes we need to take a bit of time off and you obviously need to. You sound like you've got so much on in your life that the last thing you need to be doing is beating yourself up over training that hasn't been done. Look after yourself and you'll get back to it.

X3.  I've completely quit many things I've started and it always starts with beating myself up over something.  (Diet is a wonderful example in my case)  Definitely, don't be too hard on yourself

2008-05-01 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Awww thanks guys! I'm actually meeting someone today, whom I've never met but know thru the online tri community, to tackle our first OWS of the year. She is doing the same triathlon I am doing May 25 - but she's doing the 1/2 Iron distance. Yowza! I think I'll stick with the sprint. ;-)

I realized this morning that it's gonna be ok ... even if I swim the entire 500m with my head out of the water, there's nothing wrong with that and I will in fact be just fine.

Now Chrissy - your question - I have NO IDEA how people train that much!?! ... I know for me a very busy week is 8-9 training sessions ... and I have to really struggle to get in those 2-a-days. It's tough. I think it means having nothing else going on in your life - a partner to help around the house, a job that's flexible, and no other extra-curricular activies .. ?
But who wants to live like that.

2008-05-01 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1375626

SpiritFire - 2008-05-01 2:16 PM  Now Chrissy - your question - I have NO IDEA how people train that much!?! ... I know for me a very busy week is 8-9 training sessions ... and I have to really struggle to get in those 2-a-days. It's tough. I think it means having nothing else going on in your life - a partner to help around the house, a job that's flexible, and no other extra-curricular activies .. ? But who wants to live like that.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not married and although I don't have kids to tend to, I also don't have anyone else to do my errands! I work long hours and am not allowed to be flexible with my schedule (like I can't come in early to leave early to train) - my hours are 9 to 6, technically, but really, they're 8:30 to 6. And I can't really get in a workout at lunch, if I even get lunch! I'd feel like a horrible person if I quit the choir to train and since it's a church activity, I'd feel even WORSE; it's a ministry and training for tris seems selfish compared to the ministry. I don't feel selfish training in general, but quitting a ministry to train more isn't good, ya know?  Plus, I'm single, so if I'm training all the time, when am I gonna meet anyone?? Or guys aside, even have time for the friends I DO have?! I already do plenty of the "sorry, I can't because I have to run/bike/swim/torture myself with vats of ice and the stick". Already have warned some of my friends that I am going to be VERY boring from about May until October, training for sprints, my first Oly and my first marathon.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23