BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lrobb's group full - the work is plentiful, success is guaranteed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-04-28 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1351842

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
Subject: RE: lrobb's group - CLOSED
any tips on sizing wetsuits for females?

2008-04-28 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

I am 6' 215lbs. and am currently riding a specialized transition bike 56cm

My son is 23 yrs old 5'10" and 150 lbs.

My question is Iam wanting to get a tri bike and was wondering if my son and I could use both of these bikes since he is wanting to start triathlons too.  Or would it be better to get one specifically for him. 

I know the seat height would probably change, but was wondering about anything else.  Believe me, he is my son. (bless his heart)

2008-04-28 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1366413

Extreme Veteran
OKC
wswope - 2008-04-28 11:07 AM

I'd say the same as for males: find a shop with experienced people that aren't trying to just make a sale. You'll need to try on a bunch.

I had to do mine via internet, as there weren't any local places to buy at the time. Luckily I found a suit that put me right in the middle of all their sizing charts.
2008-04-28 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1366963

Extreme Veteran
OKC
Dwayne - 2008-04-28 1:24 PM

My question is Iam wanting to get a tri bike and was wondering if my son and I could use both of these bikes since he is wanting to start triathlons too.  Or would it be better to get one specifically for him. 

I know the seat height would probably change, but was wondering about anything else.  Believe me, he is my son. (bless his heart)

That's probably going to be close - might need a stem change.

Either way, make sure they fit you (& him) to the bike. Being "off" - even just a little - is a good way to get an overuse injury, not to mention just being uncomfortable. Most Specialized shops have someone that is a Body Geometry certified fitter, they're usually pretty good.
2008-04-28 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
wswope - 2008-04-28 9:07 AM

Each manufacturer of tri wetsuits uses different sizing. One you might be a medium, next one you might be a small.

Each manufacturer has a website with sizing information. Usually based on height, weight and chest size for both men and women. If you think you might be between sizes call them, they are usually very helpful and nice.

I know with Pro Motion my chest size gave a different size suit than my weight. They said for their suits chest size was more imporant than being 3 pounds too heavy for that size suit.

I have heard good things about calling DeSoto, Zoot and Xterra about finding the right fit for your suit.

Best choice is to go to a store where you can try on the different sizes and manufacturers. Bad thing is, that on land Suits are hot, uncomfortable and hard to get into. So unless you know what a suit is supposed to feel like, you may not learn much.
2008-04-28 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1366340

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
wswope - 2008-04-28 11:48 AM
One of the main points I got from the instructor is that I need to practice technique and not endurance in the pool - he said that aerobic endurance should come from my cycling and running.

That makes things that I questioned make sense. I often see people at my pool using training aids exclusively. Not coming from a swimming background I was puzzled.

2008-04-28 5:20 PM

New user

Cash, thanks for the TI link, I went into their archive articles and read a bunch of them, thats the kind of stuff I need and was looking for.  I am planning on getting the TI DVD and a book. Looks like a good place to start, Thanks.

lrobb, yes I did watch that video, thanks

Tomorrow morning I attack the pool again, hopefully a little smarter and a little smoother .

Thanks all.

2008-04-28 5:56 PM
in reply to: #1364113

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
i couldnt get to this site - is this the correct address?
2008-04-28 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1366963

User image

Expert
Dwayne - 2008-04-28 11:24 AM

You two could probably ride the same road bike, but tri bike gets trickier. A tri bike is meant to be ridden with you bent over and your elbows on the aero bar pads. So your torso length is important for both of you.

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, but if I look at you from the side I should be able to hang a string from your ear and have it pass the center of your shoulder and then your elbow when you are on the aeropads.

If he has to reach an extra 2 inches he wont be able to steer the bike as well. If your elbows are 2 inches closer to your hips you wont steer as well.

When I am on the aerobars, I don't steer by using my hands. I put my weight on the elbow in the direction I want to turn. If the weight shift is wrong, I miss the turn or I crash.

I turn the bike by leaning or banking into the turn, I don't turn the front wheel with my hands.

When you sit up on a bike and have your hands on the horns or a tri bike or hoods of a road bike you are more stable, like having a wide wheel base on a car. Your aero bars are much narrower and when you are on them you have a narrow base and the steering is much more twitchy.

Also are your shoulders the same width. If not your aerobar spacing would be different.

Plus he is young and his low back is probably pretty flexible and he can bend over a lot to get more aero.

I am guessing if you bend over a lot and lean on the aerobars, at 215 pounds your thighs might be hitting your belly when you pedal. Just like most guys our age.

Just some things to think about. Not saying you can't both ride the same bike, but you want to talk to somebody at a bike shop who knows what he is doing.
2008-04-28 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1365601

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
lrobb - 2008-04-28 6:09 AM

Get a big fat pull buoy, get some really small handle paddles, and start swimming 25s & 50s with a lot of rest in between. The pull buoy is going to set your body in the right position, and the paddles are going to help you get a feel for setting up a proper catch - get one just the size of your palm though, you don't want to fry your shoulders.

My wife and I stopped by the local sport shop today at lunch and purchased a pull buoy and some paddles. I bought the smallest that they had which were XS they make an XXS but the shop did not stock it.

These are about 1/2 in bigger than my hand on all sides. do you think they will be too big for my wife? They will be about 1 inch bigger than her hands on all sides.
2008-04-29 4:36 AM
in reply to: #1368225

Extreme Veteran
OKC
From what I understand, and I may be wrong, but if I look at you from the side I should be able to hang a string from your ear and have it pass the center of your shoulder and then your elbow when you are on the aeropads.

Depends on your torso angle really. My back is pretty flat (horizontal to the ground) on my tri bike, so there's no way to have my ears in line with my shoulders unless I removed my neck. I also like my arms a little more stretched out in front than the popular 90-degree shoulder/back/forearm rule of thumb.

Your point though, is absolutely correct.

Dwayne - I think I misunderstood. I thought you were planning on the tri-bike for yourself and giving the road bike to your son. In theory you could get away with an adjustable stem and changing the seat height every time, but I wouldn't consider that ideal. I think it would be better to see if the road bike fit him, then if it does, slap some aerobars on it.

The importance of fit - Last week on a 60 mile ride, I got a pretty nasty hip pointer - IT band pain. This weekend on a 40 mile ride, it flared up again. The reason? I removed a spacer. One tiny centimeter lower in front caused a lot of grief.

2008-04-29 4:38 AM
in reply to: #1368283

Extreme Veteran
OKC
TheyCallMeTiny - 2008-04-28 9:44 PM

These are about 1/2 in bigger than my hand on all sides. do you think they will be too big for my wife? They will be about 1 inch bigger than her hands on all sides.

She might be able to get away with them - take it easy though, build it up a little at a time.
2008-04-29 6:20 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

I had a great swim last night. Sometimes, just like with bike fit, tiny adjustments make a huge difference.  I was on a bike, swim, bike brick so I thought I'd just swim, which I haven't done without doing drills in a long time. First of all, having the 8 mile bike before my swim helped me to be warmed up. (I've got to figure out a way to do that without getting tired when I race) I focused on reaching, rotating my hips and then keeping one eye of my goggles in the H20. The eye in the water is the ticket for me. It helped me finally do a better job of rotating instead of lifting my head. Wow! Now if I can consistently relax completely, I'll be able to swim for a long time. Thanks!

I also wore my HRM in the pool. I haven't been doing that because I wasn't sure if the "water resistant "  meant that it would work. But it helped.  My perception was that I was running out of breath at 80-85% in the pool. With my HRM I could see that I was at  40%(+-) When I saw that I was at 135 instead of 150, I knew I just needed to relax and breathe.  When I was doing my run Sunday, I was really trying to go fast instead of far. I was maxed out at 168. That helped me to get a better picture of how to use my HRM which I hadn't really internalized.

Rambling.....Thanks for being tri people. Really... I think most of my friends are tired of hearing about this stuff that they really don't get, especially all of the workout analysis and I think they are a little worried that I'm turning into a trigeek.

Have a great day everyone!

Les 

2008-04-29 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Hi Wendy,

All I can say is that you have to try it on.  I actually found a used one and drove to Austin to try it on before buying it.  Just like everyone else has said, all of the brands fit differently and you need to make sure you have someone that knows how they are supposed to fit. The woman I bought mine from (craigs list) is a tri coach. I'm really happy with mine. It is an ironman farmer jane. Make sure to wear it before your race. Swimming in a wetsuit is really different because it adds so much bouyancy. I swam in it in the pool where I'm sure all of the other folks thought I was an idiot (indoor pool) but I'm glad I did. I also did a practice swim on the course the day before the race but I wish I had done more.

2008-04-29 6:44 AM
in reply to: #1368530

Extreme Veteran
OKC
First of all, having the 8 mile bike before my swim helped me to be warmed up. (I've got to figure out a way to do that without getting tired when I race)

No secret - the longer you go, the easier the shorter stuff becomes. Keep doing that brick and race day will be a snap.

I focused on reaching, rotating my hips and then keeping one eye of my goggles in the H20. The eye in the water is the ticket for me. It helped me finally do a better job of rotating instead of lifting my head. Wow! Now if I can consistently relax completely, I'll be able to swim for a long time. Thanks!

Sweet! I also focus on getting my ear on my shoulder, and belly button pointed toward the wall. That might help you too.

My perception was that I was running out of breath at 80-85% in the pool. With my HRM I could see that I was at 40%(+-) When I saw that I was at 135 instead of 150, I knew I just needed to relax and breathe. When I was doing my run Sunday, I was really trying to go fast instead of far. I was maxed out at 168. That helped me to get a better picture of how to use my HRM which I hadn't really internalized.

Don't forget too that you'll have different peak heart rates for swimming / biking / running. On any given day, my "hard" effort heart rate might be 175 for running, 168 for biking, and 162 for swimming.

2008-04-29 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
Keep the tri geek talk going. This forum has cleared up miles of confusion on many items in just a few days that it would have taken weeks of reading long forums to get. Thank you all for joining this group. The HRM stuff is the best ok really equal with the swimming I have been contemplating a HRM. When I bought my watch I though about getting one that did that but I decided against it.

I will be watching the classifieds does anyone have any brands or models they would suggest. I would like to keep it as inexpensive as I can but I don’t like buying twice if I can help it.

2008-04-29 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Sweet! I also focus on getting my ear on my shoulder, and belly button pointed toward the wall. That might help you too.

I'll do that! My next swim will be in the gulf this weekend.  We are going to Corpus Christi.  That will be a good thing to try then.  The water should be 74 but I think I am going to take the wet suit anyway.  There will be other people around but I'm thinking about coming up with a little security blanket. What do you think of this? I'm going to get a noodle and put a boogie board leash on one end of the noodle and put it on my ankle. Do you think it will drag too much? I'm trying to get over the ows panic attack syndrome. I don't know if I will need it but my brain might like it to be there.

I got an inexpensive HRM at performance bike. Sports Instruments Pro 9 Heart Rate Monitor
It is on sale for $40.  It has been a good one to learn with. I'm still trying to figure out some of the functions so I don't need something fancy..yet

Les 

2008-04-30 5:56 AM
in reply to: #1371165

Extreme Veteran
OKC
denny.l - 2008-04-29 10:04 PM

That will be a good thing to try then. The water should be 74 but I think I am going to take the wet suit anyway. There will be other people around but I'm thinking about coming up with a little security blanket. What do you think of this? I'm going to get a noodle and put a boogie board leash on one end of the noodle and put it on my ankle. Do you think it will drag too much?

Don't swim alone! Make sure someone is out there to keep an eye on you.

With choppy water, you're going to make some compromises in your stroke. But with a wetsuit on, it will make up for it. Wetsuit + Salt water = hard to sink! Don't overheat, but a bright swim cap will help make you more visible.

To get more comfy in the open water, just stay toward the shallow end and float. Ingrain in your mind how easy it is just to roll over on your back, and float. Swim a little. If you feel yourself getting out of breath/panicking, just roll over, relax, take some deep breaths, and float.
2008-04-30 6:07 AM
in reply to: #1368938

Extreme Veteran
OKC
I will be watching the classifieds does anyone have any brands or models they would suggest. I would like to keep it as inexpensive as I can but I don’t like buying twice if I can help it.

I have a friend that uses a fairly inexpensive Timex heart rate monitor. I just need the basics: total time, current heart rate, average heart rate. A "nice to have" is if it will do all that for splits too. I'm currently using a Forerunner 50 that gives me all of the above plus pace/speed. I tend to be a data geek though -- you can go a long way in this sport just relying on your perceived exertion.
2008-04-30 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

I have 2 choices for bike ride this evening

(A) Fairly flat and wind gusts up to 30 mph

(B)  No wind and hills

2008-04-30 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1371479

Extreme Veteran
OKC
I find hills a lot more enjoyable than wind. I get enough of that stuff in Oklahoma.

2008-04-30 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
Lee do you ever ride in Piedmont? I lived there form most of my childhood and remember cyclist constantly.

I will be back in the middle of June with my wife and kids maybe we can hook up for dinner to meet.
2008-04-30 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1372167

Extreme Veteran
OKC
TheyCallMeTiny - 2008-04-30 10:21 AM

Lee do you ever ride in Piedmont? I lived there form most of my childhood and remember cyclist constantly.

I will be back in the middle of June with my wife and kids maybe we can hook up for dinner to meet.

Sounds good. I've done some biking from Deer Creek out to Okarche several times.
2008-04-30 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1371479

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
We always have wind - so I wouldn't know how to answer that one
2008-04-30 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Lol we have 23 mph winds now, and am debating ride or go to the gym to lift and swim.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lrobb's group full - the work is plentiful, success is guaranteed! Rss Feed  

of 18