of 18

2008-04-30 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1372734

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: tcovert's Group - CLOSED
pcm95 - 2008-04-30 11:04 AM

I would spend the extra for the clipless. I just feel like I get much more out of them than just shoes alone. Being the cheap person that I am I got mine second hand for $30 for my mountain bike 5 years ago and have moved them to my road bike and some used ones that the bike shop didn't want for $10. I like them both.
The thing to look out for is there are 2 different kinds of clipless pedals. Raod and ATB (mountain bike) I have ATBs on both my bikes so I can use one pair of shoes. Besides that Road shoes have some kind of platform on the bottom that makes walking around abnormal. ATBs have the clips built into the bottom so it's really close to wearing a normal pair of shoes. I don't know if there is much of a difference between the performance characteristics of the two types though. What does everyone else use?

As for clipping in and out, I've got my clips set loose so I can pop out pretty easy. I haven't had a problem of unclipping while riding, but I've heard some people have. When I get on the bike I clip one side in and pedal a few strokes with the other side unclipped and when I get going, I can clip in with little fear of falling over. Once you get good at it, you can tighten your clips down a little.

I currently wear a pair of Shimano multipurpose shoes (closer to a MTB shoe than a road shoe...has rubber sole/recessed cleat). They're great for walking around in...great for running in and out of transition. HOWEVER...they weigh a lot.

Think about all the upstrokes during a ride. Think about a 40K Oly bike ride. Or 56 mi. in a HIM and think about all the cumulative weight of lifting that rubber sole (and the extra construction in a MTB shoe). Think about the added weight on an HIM bike ride over all the hills you might have to climb. I'm at the point now where I'm becoming very aware of that weight. So I'm definitely planning my next upgrade to be of my shoes.

On the pedals: One reason I think Shimano SPDs are a great buy is not just that they are cheap, but they are easily adjustable (making it easier to get in and out of), have a nice amount of float (i.e., they allow your heel to be able to rotate toward or away from the bike as needed up to 4 degrees before you come unclipped), and you can clip into either side of the pedal (not true of all clipless pedals).

Speaking of adjustments...does everyone have a small bike multitool (something with the various Allen wrenches you need for common bike adjustments plus screwdrivers)? Definitely a must purchase.

2008-04-30 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1372704

User image

Elite
san francisco

Edit to add: Did I mention I fell and broke my wrist in the bike dismount at my second tri...? (And that was with toe clips, not even clipless pedals...)

Ouch...but you left out the important question...Did you go on to finish the run? Cause if you did, wow, that's hardcore!

I did my first and only sprint tri with toe clips and running shoes. It was fine but since I caught the tri bug after that, I decided to upgrade the bike..I used an old steel 1981 Miyata 10 spd with downtube shifters (it weighs 32lbs!)...I bought a used Orbea alum/carbon fork/seatstays road bike (16 lbs with pedals). From 32lbs to 16lbs, omg what a difference! Anyhow, I got Look pedals and Tri shoes (shimano) and I love the way my calves feel especially on bike rides of 20+ miles. I don't think I can ever go back. When I forget my shoes at the gym for spin class, I feel my calves tighten up immediately.
So, that's been my experience. Love riding in clips, feel more powerful that's for sure.
2008-04-30 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1373263

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
kt65 - 2008-04-30 1:49 PM

tcovert

Edit to add: Did I mention I fell and broke my wrist in the bike dismount at my second tri...? (And that was with toe clips, not even clipless pedals...)

Ouch...but you left out the important question...Did you go on to finish the run? Cause if you did, wow, that's hardcore!

Yup...got my shoes switched (man, did that hurt!) and did the 4K trail run.

Oh...and won my age group.

Edited by tcovert 2008-04-30 3:59 PM
2008-04-30 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1358169

User image

Overland Park, KS
Well, I sacrificed my training tonight but I went to a 2 hour free clinic on triathlons at our Bike Source.  I thought it was really good - motivational and informational.  We learned about some local clubs in my hometown, nutrition and training, bike maintenance and repair, and transitions.  So I rode my bike there (15 mins) and home (20 mins - long way home)... not much of a workout but I think the one day sacrifice was worth the knowledge - that or the excuse makes me feel better.  Smile
2008-04-30 10:31 PM

User image

Arizona
Todd- that is super badass! And it makes me feel a little better to know I'm not the only clipless pedally-challenged person out there.

On the clipless pedal debate, despite the akwardness getting used to them, I have found them to be TOTALLY worth the money. I have the Shimano road biking style (not sure the actual model but they are the flat black ones you clip in on one side) on my road bike and the "egg beaters" on my mountain bike (By the way, cliping in on a mountain bike when you are not a good mountain biker is the worst idea EVER...especially in Arizona where when you fall 90% of the time you land in cactus. In case anybody was curious...) The egg beaters are easier to get in and out of because you can clip in on either side, but, like was mentioned, the mountain bike shoe is heavier. Likewise, when road biking you don't really come in and out of the pedals often so I don't find the extra difficulty of only clipping in on one side to be a problem. Likewise, the bike store guy who talked me into buying the fancy ones said that they have a real slim design so you don't hit them on the road when cornering...as if I ever take a corner that tight that my feet hit the pavement.... but I felt cool thinking about it. And if any of you ever want to become professional bike racers I suppose that would be an issue....

Courtney
2008-04-30 11:04 PM
in reply to: #1374059

User image

Ballantyne
Eggbeaters look cool too. If I didn't have two pairs of pedals that still worked, I'd be all over a pair of those babies.

2008-05-01 12:28 AM
in reply to: #1374059

User image

Elite
san francisco
Likewise, the bike store guy who talked me into buying the fancy ones said that they have a real slim design so you don't hit them on the road when cornering...as if I ever take a corner that tight that my feet hit the pavement.... but I felt cool thinking about it. And if any of you ever want to become professional bike racers I suppose that would be an issue....

Courtney

So, I thought that cornering thing would never apply to me either....until Monday, when I was coming downhill kind of fast and there was a sharp turn (no cars around), and I really had to lean into it and pow, my fat Look pedal hit the ground and I sort of bounced a little....Whew I had a moment of OMG, and luckily controlled the bike pretty well...but that was my first experience and hopefully my last. And I definitely don't have pro bike racer aspirations but I will think about my foot position more when taking corners in the future.

2008-05-01 1:55 AM
in reply to: #1374040

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
run_carmen - 2008-04-30 8:18 PM

Well, I sacrificed my training tonight but I went to a 2 hour free clinic on triathlons at our Bike Source.  I thought it was really good - motivational and informational.  We learned about some local clubs in my hometown, nutrition and training, bike maintenance and repair, and transitions.  So I rode my bike there (15 mins) and home (20 mins - long way home)... not much of a workout but I think the one day sacrifice was worth the knowledge - that or the excuse makes me feel better.  Smile

Yup...tradeoff of a little training time for knowledge that will help you manage your participation better is a Good Thing.

(And 35 min. of cycling isn't to be disregarded, for that matter.)
2008-05-01 11:17 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I have Shimano SPD-SL cleats. They've treated me well so far.
When I was trying to learn how to clip in and clip out I just clipped in one foot and would pedal down the street without the other foot clipped in. I practiced getting in and out but wasn't worried about tipping over because my other foot was loose. I got the clipless pedals just a few weeks after getting my road bike.
Sometimes I change my pedals to just platform pedals when I commute and I can really tell a difference. Being able to pull up on your pedal stroke helps a ton.

In terms of short bike rides, go ahead and log those quick 30 minute rides. I felt guilty about logging my commutes for awhile, but then I realized even if its not a super hard core workout I'm getting more exercise than someone sitting in their car!

Sarah
2008-05-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1375160

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Slahmmer - 2008-05-01 9:17 AM

In terms of short bike rides, go ahead and log those quick 30 minute rides. I felt guilty about logging my commutes for awhile, but then I realized even if its not a super hard core workout I'm getting more exercise than someone sitting in their car!

Sarah

True dat.

I do try to consciously work with my bike commutes as part of my training scheme. When I'm in a "build" mode, I tend to use at least one of my 5.5 mile rides each day, three days a week, as a tempo drill...basically it becomes a time trial (with stoplights, of course, which keeps the avg. mph down). And, when I'm in a rest or recovery mode, I'll take it easy, maybe take a slower (and safer) route, and enjoy the scenery.

At least once a week, I do a long commute to work (20 miles, instead of 6.2).
2008-05-01 6:17 PM

User image

Texas
Well today i swam about 600m and then jumped out of the pool for a 3.2 mile.......holy crap was i tired.  I dont know if i was a little dehydrated or what but my legs were sore and my side hurt like .  My first time to get out of the pool and go straight to a run, but i thought it would have been easier.

2008-05-01 7:40 PM
in reply to: #1376533

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
landon5108 - 2008-05-01 4:17 PM

Well today i swam about 600m and then jumped out of the pool for a 3.2 mile.......holy crap was i tired.  I dont know if i was a little dehydrated or what but my legs were sore and my side hurt like .  My first time to get out of the pool and go straight to a run, but i thought it would have been easier.

Well, I guess the sorta good news is that you won't have to do that particular transition in a tri. But it is a good example for you of what triathletes experience getting out of the swim and going into transition and then out on the bike. A lot of people report dizziness (from standing up abruptly after all that time swimming) or a lot of effort to get their heart rate down in the early stages of the bike ride.
2008-05-01 8:49 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS

Speaking of bike commutes:

With these crazy gas prices, I've been mentioning to my husband that I wanted to try and commute on my bike a couple of days a week.  It takes a bit of scheduling for us since we have two kids to drop off and pick up at daycare... but... he's not a fan of me being on the bike in "traffic" times.  One, I don't have a helmet - BUT I do intend to get one this weekend.  Two, I figured I could take back roads and trails as much as possible.  We have a bike week coming up in our town (http://kcbike.info/bikeweek/) and I thought I'd try it out at least once that week.  So, that brings me to my question:

Do you guys dress up for work?  If so, how and when do you shower and change?  I have to dress business casual and there is a gym at my work but I don't belong although I could always rejoin if this became a habit - it's like $30 a month.  Also, do you have laptops that you have to take back and forth?  I do so I'm wondering how I would do that.

Any tips on how you make commuting work?

2008-05-01 11:01 PM
in reply to: #1376806

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
run_carmen - 2008-05-01 6:49 PM

Speaking of bike commutes:

With these crazy gas prices, I've been mentioning to my husband that I wanted to try and commute on my bike a couple of days a week.  It takes a bit of scheduling for us since we have two kids to drop off and pick up at daycare... but... he's not a fan of me being on the bike in "traffic" times.  One, I don't have a helmet - BUT I do intend to get one this weekend.  Two, I figured I could take back roads and trails as much as possible.  We have a bike week coming up in our town (http://kcbike.info/bikeweek/) and I thought I'd try it out at least once that week.  So, that brings me to my question:

Do you guys dress up for work?  If so, how and when do you shower and change?  I have to dress business casual and there is a gym at my work but I don't belong although I could always rejoin if this became a habit - it's like $30 a month.  Also, do you have laptops that you have to take back and forth?  I do so I'm wondering how I would do that.

Any tips on how you make commuting work?

My wife and I both wear bike clothes when we ride to work--she takes her work clothes in her panniers (she rides a hybrid), I have a backpack (road bike). We both wash up at work...no shower available...change in restroom. We both dress business casual...actually she's dressing a bit nicer than I am because she's pushing for a promotion at the moment...
2008-05-02 6:33 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I am very lucky. My work has a locker room with showers, lockers, etc. We even have secure bike storage inside so we don't have to worry about our bikes getting stolen.
Depending on the length of your commute I would look into joining that gym and using their facilities to get ready. I roll out of bed, walk the dog and get on my bike.
2008-05-02 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
So...it's Friday

How's the training been going this week? Triumphs or breakthroughs? Obstacles or disappointments?

Anything special planned for this weekend?

Who's racing this weekend? (I know at least one of you is...) Any goals...questions...fears...you'd like to share?

2008-05-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1378028

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

tcovert - 2008-05-02 12:08 PM So...it's Friday How's the training been going this week? Triumphs or breakthroughs? Obstacles or disappointments? Anything special planned for this weekend? Who's racing this weekend? (I know at least one of you is...) Any goals...questions...fears...you'd like to share?

Well Todd, my personal goal for the sprint this weekend is sub 1:18:00. If i stay south of that i will be totally jazzed.  By the by , its a 440yd swim, 14m bike, 5k run.

Have a couple fears..   1) the swim, its in a 50y pool and ive only swam in a 25m pool, not to mention ive only been swimming for a couple months TOTAL. Not sure about all the bodies in motion around me in the water.   2) There's just something about running around in a tri-suit that makes me feel weird

What do you recommend for a warmup? For the couple races ive done, ive just done moderate running for a mile or two. The pool will only be open for 30 mins before the elite wave takes off so i'm thinking i wont want to even fight 550+ other folks to warmup in there.

peace, John

2008-05-02 1:17 PM

User image

Ballantyne
First of all, have a good time this weekend John!

Next, this week has been good and bad. I'm progressing well with my swimming, but haven't gotten any running in. Wed. and Thurs. were both close to useless for training. I didn't get any time get any running in. I was hoping for swimming on Thurs., but didn't get done working until well after the pool closed. I've found that I really like swimming, and am improving rapidly, although I know that will slow down as I figure out what I am doing. I jumped on my bike for a few minutes, but I'm not worried about that part. The running is what I don't like doing and I've been blocked 3 times now from getting it done. I'll just have to start running in the mud if this keeps up. The good news is that I've got 185 acres of corn in.

Go get em John!

Joe
2008-05-02 1:59 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Good luck on your race John!
I swam in a 50 yd pool once and it was actually nice not to have to do turns at the wall so often! I'm sure it'll make it easier in a sense to keep your momentum going for longer and less crowding during a race in a pool (which I've never done). You're going to do great with all of the training you've been doing.

I have a long run planned for the weekend and then my taper begins for the next week, so that should be interesting. I am determined to stick to the plan and trust it...with the beautiful weather we have forcasted, I'm going to have to clean the house or something to stop myself from a super long bike ride!

Have fun everyone.
2008-05-02 2:15 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS

Well... I'm less than impressed with my week and full of excuses as I'm sure you've seen in my posts.  I was going to make up for it with a stellar weekend!  I have two boys - age 4 and almost 2.  They were going to grandma's for the weekend since Sunday is my 6 yr wedding anniversary.  WERE going being the excuse part - my oldest was up all but 2 hours last night with the yucks - both ends Cry So, my husband and I were going to do a 60 minute bike ride together tomorrow but that's out since we have to alternate childcare   He has class tonight and I can't go to my gym with a sick kid so it's either treadmill at home or no workout - and treadmill at home after 2 hours of sleep may not be happening!

Sunday I am going to go to a group run and hopefull do 6 miles as long as I get recovered on my sleep.

My department at work is being let go so everyone got two weeks notice and separate pay today, except 11 people - one of which is me.  Mine will be coming sometime in the next couple of months but I've been asked to stick around a bit longer and help wrap things up.  So.. .I've been BUSY, emotional, tired, etc... and trying to maintain some consistency in working out during all of this.

Anyone else's lives just a mess right now?

2008-05-02 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1378452

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
run_carmen - 2008-05-02 12:15 PM

Well... I'm less than impressed with my week and full of excuses as I'm sure you've seen in my posts.  I was going to make up for it with a stellar weekend!  I have two boys - age 4 and almost 2.  They were going to grandma's for the weekend since Sunday is my 6 yr wedding anniversary.  WERE going being the excuse part - my oldest was up all but 2 hours last night with the yucks - both ends Cry So, my husband and I were going to do a 60 minute bike ride together tomorrow but that's out since we have to alternate childcare   He has class tonight and I can't go to my gym with a sick kid so it's either treadmill at home or no workout - and treadmill at home after 2 hours of sleep may not be happening!

Sunday I am going to go to a group run and hopefull do 6 miles as long as I get recovered on my sleep.

My department at work is being let go so everyone got two weeks notice and separate pay today, except 11 people - one of which is me.  Mine will be coming sometime in the next couple of months but I've been asked to stick around a bit longer and help wrap things up.  So.. .I've been BUSY, emotional, tired, etc... and trying to maintain some consistency in working out during all of this.

Anyone else's lives just a mess right now?

No...but I'm pretty unhappy with my job at the moment...which isn't great since I just left another position for this one in January. Sorry to hear about your job, though, Carmen. Y'know, some people take out their frustrations in training, other people need to lay off their training a little to focus on life stuff...everyone's different that way, I think. I will say that having a bit of consistency and grounding when life gets chaotic usually seems to be a good thing.

2008-05-02 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1378270

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
pcm95 - 2008-05-02 11:17 AM

First of all, have a good time this weekend John!

Next, this week has been good and bad. I'm progressing well with my swimming, but haven't gotten any running in. Wed. and Thurs. were both close to useless for training. I didn't get any time get any running in. I was hoping for swimming on Thurs., but didn't get done working until well after the pool closed. I've found that I really like swimming, and am improving rapidly, although I know that will slow down as I figure out what I am doing. I jumped on my bike for a few minutes, but I'm not worried about that part. The running is what I don't like doing and I've been blocked 3 times now from getting it done. I'll just have to start running in the mud if this keeps up. The good news is that I've got 185 acres of corn in.

Go get em John!

Joe

Well, next week is another week...Maybe try to get a fresh start and focus on making time for even some short runs where you only go as far/fast as is relaxed for you. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
2008-05-02 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1378189

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jcash683 - 2008-05-02 10:54 AM

tcovert - 2008-05-02 12:08 PM So...it's Friday How's the training been going this week? Triumphs or breakthroughs? Obstacles or disappointments? Anything special planned for this weekend? Who's racing this weekend? (I know at least one of you is...) Any goals...questions...fears...you'd like to share?

Well Todd, my personal goal for the sprint this weekend is sub 1:18:00. If i stay south of that i will be totally jazzed.  By the by , its a 440yd swim, 14m bike, 5k run.

Have a couple fears..   1) the swim, its in a 50y pool and ive only swam in a 25m pool, not to mention ive only been swimming for a couple months TOTAL. Not sure about all the bodies in motion around me in the water.   2) There's just something about running around in a tri-suit that makes me feel weird

What do you recommend for a warmup? For the couple races ive done, ive just done moderate running for a mile or two. The pool will only be open for 30 mins before the elite wave takes off so i'm thinking i wont want to even fight 550+ other folks to warmup in there.

peace, John

Pool could be interesting...a lot of pool swim tri's put the swim last so that the competitors are spread out by the time they get to it. I'm assuming they'll have wave starts and will ask you to self-seed yourself based on how you expect to do (if they didn't ask that when you registered even).

All tri swims are a little weird...lots of contact...whether open water or pool. The one tri pool swim I did, some guy climbed right over me as we were changing lanes. I just don't get that aspect of the sport, I guess.

Play it by ear as far as the warmup goes...a little dip in the pool might be nice if you find an opportunity where it isn't a madhouse. But you'll only be swimming for a relatively short time, so stretching and or light jogging to prep for the bike/run isn't ever a bad idea. I don't do nearly the stretching before a tri that I do before a running event, personally...but I strongly believe in warmup (even just walking around) and then stretching before any race.
2008-05-02 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
How's my week been, you ask? (You do, don't you?)

Good example of moving things around to accomodate life: We have friends coming into town today for the weekend and we're joining them and some other people for a movie tonight. Turned out that they were going to be near my office later today and could drive me home and then pick up my wife. Well, I usually bike to work on Friday and my wife does, too, so I switched days to save them trying to haul my bike and me with it. So I just swapped Thurs and Friday in my plan.

I'll be doing something similar with this weekend: My wife called a short time ago to tell me that she'll have to hang around the apt. on Sun AM for a work-related delivery, so no 30 mile ride for us. Fine with me: We're going to ride tomorrow instead and she'll do her 10K run and I'll do my 12 mile long run on Sunday once she gets her delivery...then go to the pool.

(Edit to add: One thing that isn't happening this weekend because of event our friends are in town for Sat. is getting my new bike fitted at the LBS I bought it at. I want to move my aerobars over from my old bike before I take it in and that just ain't happening tonight or tomorrow. So, riding my K2 instead of the Scott this weekend.)

Edited by tcovert 2008-05-02 4:02 PM
2008-05-02 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1378695

User image

Overland Park, KS

No...but I'm pretty unhappy with my job at the moment...which isn't great since I just left another position for this one in January. Sorry to hear about your job, though, Carmen. Y'know, some people take out their frustrations in training, other people need to lay off their training a little to focus on life stuff...everyone's different that way, I think. I will say that having a bit of consistency and grounding when life gets chaotic usually seems to be a good thing.

I can completely relate to some of that!  My husband skipped class and layed around the house tonight from being tired.  Me, I was overjoyed that he was home and gave me a chance to get a swim in.  I did 900m at the gym pool and I feel re-energized!  I love the endorphins from working out... especially when I'm tired and stressed.  I can totally tell a difference in my personality on the days I don't get a workout in.

Best of luck with finding some joy in your job as well.  I always say that if I won the lottery I would never quit working - I like the challenge... but I'd NEVER be stuck in a job I didn't enjoy again. Wink 

Edited by run_carmen 2008-05-02 8:55 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18