Merry Christmas everyone!!

And a Happy New Year!!

2008-12-25 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1857070

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Barqhead's Group - FULL
Merry Christmas everyone. It is looking beautiful outdoors here today and my hubby has given me his blessing to go out for a spin before the journey to the in-laws (a whopping 3 mile trip). Guess I'll gear up and go while the kids are still enjoying their new toys

2008-12-25 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Merry Christmas to all my BT friends, may God bless you and your families and may the upcoming New Year bring you all the joy you can handle!  I hope 2009 sees all your personal goals and personal records fall to your undying desire to be the best triathlete you can be! 
2008-12-26 8:44 AM
in reply to: #1871938

New user
Hope everyone had a nice holiday! So, I received many gift cards yesterday and I'm thinking about purchasing a Garmin forerunner. Does anyone have one, and if so, do you find it very useful with your training?
2008-12-26 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1872438

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
nicoley81 - 2008-12-26 9:44 AM

Hope everyone had a nice holiday! So, I received many gift cards yesterday and I'm thinking about purchasing a Garmin forerunner. Does anyone have one, and if so, do you find it very useful with your training?

I have the Forerunner 305 and I love it. I sue it for cycling and running. I love the fact that I can program running workouts in it and then can see my pace, distance and HR for each individual segment. It is a really cool toy
2008-12-26 9:50 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
My husband's off from work so things still aren't "normal" around here. WIll be busy doing family stuff today but I hope to get to the pool sometime before it closes.

2008-12-26 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

I got the 305 for Christmas and I hate it!!!  Just Kidding.  I say say that only because on my first run using it showed me I spent 85% of my time running in Zone 4!  It is a little frustrating, but still neat to see all the info it gives you.  It is strange because I don't feel like I'm running hard, but facts don't lie.  I spent two hours yesterday looking through the Owner's Manual.  I can't believe everything it can do.  I need to get the bike cadence sensor and I will be all set.  I'm looking forward to working with it. 

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and has a safe and Happy New Year.

2008-12-26 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.  Sounds like a few folks got some fun tri-related gifts.  I woke up feeling under the weather on Christmas Eve but still managed to enjoy the time I got to spend with the family.  

We're heading to The Keys tomorrow to spend time with The Dude's parents.  I'm looking forward to some sunshine and warm weather!  Not sure what the internet situation will be while we're gone so Happy New Year a few days early.

2008-12-26 8:22 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Hello everyone!

I know it's kind of late to be posting this kind of stuff, but I actually have the chance while the kids are getting ready for bed.

Swimming, the forgotten discipline. Swimming is, in my opinion, the least important part of triathlon. I feel that way about this discipline because 1. It is the shortest segment of the race and 2. I am a decent swimmer

The swim becomes more important if it is you are not an efficient swimmer and if you race primarily sprint distance triathlons where every second counts.

If you are a weak swimmer, you really need to make sure you are mechanically correct in your freestyle. Swimming is all about technique. Small changes in your form can really increase your efficiency. The goal for the triathlon swim leg ought to be going as fast as possible using the least amount of energy as possible.

For us ex-competitive swimmers, this is not an easy thing to do. My first sprint tri, I automatically reverted back to my old swimmer ways and swam the 300 in an anaerobic state. I was 6th overall in the triathlon for the swim. I finished 78th overall in the tri. My swim speed didn't do me a lick of good except make me recover and go even slower on the bike leg

I like to do 2-3 swim workouts per week. Mondays are usually swim days for me because it is a nice, active-recovery day. Swimming puts little impact on the muscles and joints, so it is especially useful to help loosen up spent lactic acid in your legs after a grueling weekend of running and cycling.

Most of my swims consist of a warm up, a kick set and/or drill set, a main set and a cool down. The main set focuses on building endurance or speed. Endurance sets can look like 3x500 with a 30 second rest interval between each or 10x100 trying to keep each 100 consistent. These are steady, aerobic efforts. Speed sets are usually shorter like 6x50's descending each 50. Descending means that you do the first one slowly, then you get faster for each consecutive 50. This is harder than it sounds. Drills are also important to improve your stroke.

I'd love to hear about your problem areas with your swim. I know that several of us come to triathlon from a swimming background, so please share some of your tips and experiences with group as you get the chance.

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

2008-12-27 12:05 AM
in reply to: #1873042

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Pam,

Except for not having a road bike and therefore not been putting in a lot of miles on my hybrid (therefore not working much on any biking technique at all ... but I think most of biking is just putting in some miles ... so...)

... it is my swim that has the worst technique and is probably what I need the most training in.  But, like you say and I've heard in the past, that the swim segment is the least important and that putting out too much energy for a little bit of extra gain or speed is not worth how much energy you have to use up when compared to how much (or how little) time you gain in the overall triathlon race.

But nonetheless, my swimming is to a point that I think my distance or endurance is okay but it is lack of form and technique that is causing me to be slow and my hand and shoulders to start to go numb .... I also need to find a comfortable pair of goggles that won't leak water and don't have to be tightened down so much that they start cutting into my face.

It's funny you bring up swimming today because I actually did a swim workout today for the first time in weeks.

I swam 2x100 warmups ... and then swam a straight 1300 yards (26 laps).  I could have gone longer but had to stop because the pain of the goggles cutting into my face to hurting to the point that I had to stop.

I tried to adjust them or move them around a little to relieve some pressure but when I did water leaked in ... then I had to stop to drain them out ... I'm unable to push on through because of a little water because I wear contact lenses and so I had to stop and drain them.

At that point, around lap 26, I just went ahead and threw in the towel for the day.  I had already gone over what I planned -had planned about 1/2 a mile and went about 3/4 a mile so I just called it quits at that point.

My goal is to swim a mile, first in the pool, and then in open water ... to prepare myself for an Oly distance that I want to run in April or May.  I figure if I can swim a mile then the 0.7 a mile for an Oly should not be a problem.

For an Oly distance swim, just how important is it that I swim fast?  Again, right now my goal is to just Complete an Oly ... don't want to be DFL but I don't think that will happen anyhow ... I'm not concerned with placing right now ... but maybe just holding my own in my category - a Clyde ... or even Master Clyde if this Oly race has that category.

So, should I just keep up with my swimming as is ... or really start working some drills and work on speed.  I usually just do either 2 or 3 sets of 100 yd warmups ... then go for a long swim ...  sometimes during my 100 yd warmups I work on different stroke counts ... breathing every 4 or 3 or 2 .... I would like to be able to breath every 3 stroke ... I think that woul dbe the most versatile ... and even if I have to stare into the sun or face waves on one side ... at leat every other breath would be away from that ...

.... but I find that I tire a little too soon breathing every 3rd stroke ... and I've read some debates here about if 3-stroke or 2-stroke is best for tri's .... is building up to use 3-stroking worth the effort or should I just stay with 2-stroke?

Again, thanks to everyone for any input, adivce, or opinions ....

See ya!!

Edited by klowman 2008-12-27 12:15 AM
2008-12-27 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes by offering this so if I am, please let me know. 

I feel I can offer some pretty good suggestions.  I will say that I am out with the technical terminolgy, but can give some insight.  I come from a swimming background.  I swam through high school and taught swimming through college and even dated a few competitive swimmers along the way.  Needless to say, I have been around a pool most of my life. 

To this point, I have scaled back my swim training.  Knowing that I can swim 3K without stopping, I feel pretty confident and plan to focus more on my biking and running.  Swimming will probably be a 1, maybe two days per week training area for me.  Once I really get deep into my training, I will put a little more focus back on it for speed, but for now, it will take the back burner. 

2008-12-27 10:05 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Kevin,

Swimming is a cool sport because you can do endurance work, speed work and technique work all in the same workout without hurting yourself. I would encourage you to find someone local to help you with your technique. There is no better substitute than a set of knowledgeable eyes watching you swim.

With that said, I would also suggest breaking up your swim workouts. If you are swimming 3 times per week (which you if this is your weakness), limit those "straight" swims to once a week. You can build endurance without swimming the distance without rest between sets. If you have bad form, you are re-inforcing it during these long sessions by learning how to cope with it instead of focusing on changing technique.

I have never seen you swim, but in my experience, most folks who struggle with their swim are usually dragging their hineys through the water, kicking too large, lifting their head to breathe and entering the water with their hands too early (too close to your head).

For your Oly, is it a wetsuit legal race? A wetsuit increases your speed. You have to work less to stay afloat because of the added buoyancy. This is huge when you have to lift your head to sight. Also, if you get tired, it is easier to "coast" in the wetsuit. The wetsuit often corrects poor body position (dragging your hiney through the water) becuase of the added buoyancy on the legs.

Here are some good drills to practice:

1. Catch up - Kick with your hands outstretched on front of you in the streamline position. Your face is down in the water just like normal freestyle. Stroke with your right arm, then rest your right hand on your outstretched left hand. Count to 2. Stroke with your left arm, then rest your left hand on your outstretched right hand. Repeat for the entire length. Breathe as normal to the side. This drill helps lengthen your stroke by having you fully extend your arms and holding them outstretched. You should feel long in the water. You should strive to touch the opposite wall with every arm stroke. LONG arm pulls. If you are reaching long, this automatically raise your hips in the water.

2. Magic Marker - Pretend your thumb is a magic marker. "Write" on your thigh with your thumb as you finish your underwater pull (like you are trying to throw water behind you with your other fingers) then drag your thumb up your side like you were trying to draw a straight line on your body with the "magic marker" from your thigh to your arm pit. This drill keeps your arms close to the body and encourages a high elbow recovery.

3. Finger Tip Drag - During the recovery portion of your stroke, drag your finger tips through the water, then flick them forward as you initiate the catch. This drill emphasizes a high elbow recovery (which is much better for your shoulders and is more efficient than a straight arm recovery)

I like doing drills as 50's with one 25 being the actual drill and the second 25 being a normal swim where I am working on incorporating the focus of the drill into my actual stroke.

I would strongly encourage you to incorporate drills into every workout. Do them as part of your warm up or in a set right after your warm up. Do them at the beginning of a swim set, before you are tired. It gets more difficult to concentrate on proper form as your body fatigues.

I know other drills, too. These are just 3 of my favorites. Happy swimming

2008-12-27 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1873381

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Jeepguy2358 - 2008-12-27 10:51 AM

I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes by offering this so if I am, please let me know. 

I feel I can offer some pretty good suggestions.  I will say that I am out with the technical terminolgy, but can give some insight.  I come from a swimming background.  I swam through high school and taught swimming through college and even dated a few competitive swimmers along the way.  Needless to say, I have been around a pool most of my life. 

To this point, I have scaled back my swim training.  Knowing that I can swim 3K without stopping, I feel pretty confident and plan to focus more on my biking and running.  Swimming will probably be a 1, maybe two days per week training area for me.  Once I really get deep into my training, I will put a little more focus back on it for speed, but for now, it will take the back burner. 

Feel free to offer ideas. That is the beauty of the mentor groups. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. What works for one person may not work for another and the more ideas we have, the more likely we will find something that works for us.

I agree with your approach, Chris. As long as you still have a good feel for the water and decent endurance, you can simply swim to maintain form. Race your strengths and train your weaknesses!

2008-12-27 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Well, for me, I have spent a little extr time in the pool.  I have no background in swimming, other than being a Marine.  Therefore, I had no technical background and struggled to figure out how to breath...lol.  Now, that I have almost figured it out, I am shifting my primary focus to the bike, since it is the longest portion of the race.
2008-12-27 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1873390

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Okay, thanks!

I've just printed out these drills and will take them to the pool with me.

I already seem so things I must be doing wrong.  I'm not sure if my rear is dragging through the water or not ... I feel like I;m dragging and I don't really have any kind of kick.

Every time I try to add a kick it seems to throw me off of my arms strokes and I feel like I just start having my lower half sink into the water even more.  But, the few pictures that have been taken of me while swimming all seem to show that my whole body is pretty much on top of the water ... so I'm not really dragging or bottom half sinking in .... but it sure feels that way ... 

I believe that I'm stretching out far enough - at least I think I do, I do try and extend my arm as far as possible before plunging it into the water in front of me ... but the first drill should help re-inforce that ....

.. it is the 2nd and 3rd drill that I'm way off.

As I'm pulling my arm through the water, my hands are no where close to my body ... and I seem to do different strokes with my right arm vs. left arm.  With my right arm I start pulling it underneath my body till it gets around my belly button ... then I push it outwards away from my body ... as though I'm trying to fling water over into the next lane ... then I do this little "sculling" motion with my hand/arm and push my hand down toward my knee ...

With my left arm I seem to just pull it downwards and back .... not as much pushing it out to the side ... but  just pull it straight underneath me the whole stroke .. until the very end then I kinda pull out to the side away from my knee as I prepare to pull it out of the water.

When I pull my arm up (I guess that is called recovery) my hands are way out from my sides ... and I'm pulling them back inwards at an angle as I get ready to plunge them back into the water in front of me .... like I'm drawing the outline shape of a "spade" on a deck of playing cards.

Finally, on my recovery and getting ready for my catch ... my arms and hands are so high in the air that there is no way I could drag my fingertips through the water ...

... so I have a lot to work on already.

I'll try to post a couple of pics of my swimming form in a little bit ...

Thanks for the tips and drills!

(tf_swim_01.jpg)

(ar_swim_03.JPG)

(ar_swim_01.JPG)

(ar_swim_02.JPG)

(tf_swim_03.jpg)

(tf_swim_02.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tf_swim_01.jpg (32KB - 9 downloads)
ar_swim_03.JPG (33KB - 11 downloads)
ar_swim_01.JPG (29KB - 12 downloads)
ar_swim_02.JPG (25KB - 13 downloads)
tf_swim_03.jpg (40KB - 12 downloads)
tf_swim_02.jpg (44KB - 12 downloads)
2008-12-27 12:03 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Here are some clips of Grant Hackett, a fabulous distance swimmer. This one shows his underwater pull. You can see that his thumb is not touching his body, but it's close. The Magic Marker Drill is an exaggeration of this beautiful pull.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQfPokRMA0

2008-12-27 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Here is another, longer clip of his freestyle. Note the pause as his hand enters the water prior to initiating the catch. This is gliding. You are moving forward on your momentum from your kick. Gliding is key for a fast, efficient swim. Also notice that he breathes every 2 strokes. Not so important for us triathletes, but when you're swimming this fast, oxygen is essential. So don't be afraid to breathe. If you notice his body rotation, you can see that this stems from his CORE, not his SHOULDERS!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=f6qIhkuzTx0
2008-12-27 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Kevin,

In your top pic, it looks like your hand crosses over your center line. Make sure your right hand enters the water to the right of your head and vise versa for the left. Your hand should not enter the water in front of your face.

2008-12-27 12:17 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Here is a good clip of various angles of Michael Phelps. Keep in mind that Phelps is a mid-distance guy so his rate of stroke turn-over will be higher than Hackett, who is dominant in the mile.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ax77_hHq9Dc&feature=related

2008-12-27 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1873420

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
msfugitivehunter - 2008-12-27 11:35 AM

Well, for me, I have spent a little extr time in the pool.  I have no background in swimming, other than being a Marine.  Therefore, I had no technical background and struggled to figure out how to breath...lol.  Now, that I have almost figured it out, I am shifting my primary focus to the bike, since it is the longest portion of the race.

And Todd, if I remember correctly, you have worked with or are working with a swim coach. So that sounds like a smart plan to focus on that bike fitness

2008-12-27 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1873549

New user
I don't have a very impressive swim background, but I feel like I devoted a lot of time to swimming for the sprint triathlon training I did last year. However, I didn't do any drills...I would just go to the pool and swim and gradually built up my endurance. I'll have to start trying some drills. There is a website www.swimplan.com where you can get free swim workouts everyday if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I've had right shoulder pain recently while swimming. I don't know if there is something wrong with my form because I've been swimming the same way for the past year without any problems. I've heard that if I do bilateral breathing it should help, but I'm finding that I can get tired more quickly with bilateral breathing. In the meantime. I've been stretching, doing shoulder exercises with a resistance band, and icing. Hopefully it helps! If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!

2008-12-27 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1873567

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
nicoley81 - 2008-12-27 2:19 PM

I don't have a very impressive swim background, but I feel like I devoted a lot of time to swimming for the sprint triathlon training I did last year. However, I didn't do any drills...I would just go to the pool and swim and gradually built up my endurance. I'll have to start trying some drills. There is a website www.swimplan.com where you can get free swim workouts everyday if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I've had right shoulder pain recently while swimming. I don't know if there is something wrong with my form because I've been swimming the same way for the past year without any problems. I've heard that if I do bilateral breathing it should help, but I'm finding that I can get tired more quickly with bilateral breathing. In the meantime. I've been stretching, doing shoulder exercises with a resistance band, and icing. Hopefully it helps! If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks for the tip on the website, Nicole.

When I've had shoulder pain while swimming, I discovered I was breathing "late". I am a bi-lateral breather, and I noticed I was getting pain in my left shoulder, which is my weaker side. If you are breathing to the right side, maybe you are breathing "late". Late in that your had is turned to the side while your right hand is passing your face traveling forward. This is when your arm is raised to its highest point. This will put pressure on your shoulder.

I did the head touch drill to make sure my head was in "neutral" position as my hand passed my face. Head Touch Drill - Tap the top of your head with your fingers before straightening your arm forward and entering the water. Make sure you are done breathing and are face down before tapping your head.

2008-12-27 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the links ...some good pointers there. Though I haven't officially started my plan I have been somewhat active - (2) 3 mil run/walks - unloaded 2 crates of stone - started 100 push up challenge  - can definitely use the swim help.
2008-12-27 2:44 PM
in reply to: #1873567

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

nicoley81 - 2008-12-27 2:19 PM I don't have a very impressive swim background, but I feel like I devoted a lot of time to swimming for the sprint triathlon training I did last year. However, I didn't do any drills...I would just go to the pool and swim and gradually built up my endurance. I'll have to start trying some drills. There is a website www.swimplan.com where you can get free swim workouts everyday if anyone is interested. Anyway, I've had right shoulder pain recently while swimming. I don't know if there is something wrong with my form because I've been swimming the same way for the past year without any problems. I've heard that if I do bilateral breathing it should help, but I'm finding that I can get tired more quickly with bilateral breathing. In the meantime. I've been stretching, doing shoulder exercises with a resistance band, and icing. Hopefully it helps! If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!

Hey Nicole,

I had the same issue until I started the bilateral breathing.  I have never had any issues only breathing to my right side until recently.  I worked on my bilateral breathing and have not had any issues since.  For me, it definitely tires me out sooner.  I assume I again have to build up to a longer distance.  I have also tried breathing two strokes on my right, then the third on my left, continuing this pattern.  It seems to help some too.

2008-12-27 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1873549

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

I will begin with a swim coach January 5th, that's another reason I have just relaxed about my swimming.  No need in developing a bunch of bad habits when she is going t completely overhaul my stroke anyway.  But I have still been swimming a couple times a week because it seems to help tremendously with my cardio, without all the stress on my body.  Because I do upper body strength training on Monday, I swim on Tuesday to kinda work out some of the soreness.  Maybe a bad game plan but it seems to help with the lactic acid buildup. 

barqhead - 2008-12-27 1:04 PM
msfugitivehunter - 2008-12-27 11:35 AM Well, for me, I have spent a little extr time in the pool.  I have no background in swimming, other than being a Marine.  Therefore, I had no technical background and struggled to figure out how to breath...lol.  Now, that I have almost figured it out, I am shifting my primary focus to the bike, since it is the longest portion of the race.
And Todd, if I remember correctly, you have worked with or are working with a swim coach. So that sounds like a smart plan to focus on that bike fitness

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Barqhead's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22