BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsipos group is Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-01-14 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1904180

Veteran
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: jsipos group is Closed

jsipos - 2009-01-14 1:05 AM JC, I was looking at your training log and it looks like you are trying the Pose method of running. Is there a particular reason you are trying that? I'd be VERY careful about trying to make major changes to your running form. I can speak from experience in saying that trying to make major changes can lead to serious injuries. Years ago I had a running coach that wanted me to lengthen my stride which ultimately led to a stress fracture in my hip. Like I said in an earlier post there are some fundamental traits that most good runners share but there are also major differences in running form of good runners.

Jeremy 

I actually working with a co worker of mine whose is a top 10 triathlete on the island and his wife whose is a Pose method certified coach. and this past weekend they offer me a free spot in the clinic which they put on this past weekend. the main reason I started to learn the pose method is they believe it will help with the constant pains in my legs more so my knees due to the air force thought process of run run run. i trying to adopted the pose method as a way of causing less shock to my knees. and after the last weekend i believe that it will help. but rest assured i am slowly changing as to not cause harm. the drill were never more than the 50 yards.    

2009-01-14 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1858810

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Subject: recovery nutrition
Jeremy & All
I have a nutrition question. What is your opinion as to the need for recovery specific nutrition? More specifically, after how much training do you need to worry about this?
Thanks, Mark
2009-01-16 6:50 AM
in reply to: #1906738

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: paddles for swim training
TriD64 - 2009-01-14 10:26 AM

Jeremy
No, I haven't used paddles. What is the benefit and how are they used?
Mark

Paddles are a great tool to really work on your catch and pull. When you put the paddles on you'll be able to really feel where you're getting the most out of your stroke. If you use them you need to start out slowly (only limited use) and build up as using them can be a bit tough on your shoulders. One drill that you could do with the paddles is:

50ys swim with closed fists, 50yds with paddles, 50yds swim

2009-01-16 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1908378

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: recovery nutrition
TriD64 - 2009-01-14 8:07 PM

Jeremy & All
I have a nutrition question. What is your opinion as to the need for recovery specific nutrition? More specifically, after how much training do you need to worry about this?
Thanks, Mark

Well, I think most important is to have a well balanced diet in general. This is not only for triathlon but for a healthy lifestyle in general. In my case, I workout in the morning and in the afternoon. So I'm typically eating shortly after a workout. Sometimes after a long workout (~3-4hrs), I'll have some chocolate milk or something if I won't be eating for a couple hours. Chocolate milk has actually been shown in testing to be one of the best recovery drinks, even better than the more expensive drinks like infinit and accelerade.

2009-01-16 7:14 AM
in reply to: #1864673

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: jsipos group is OPEN
Hey Joel, I was looking at your training log and I've got some questions for you. What are you training for? I might have some suggestions for your training.
2009-01-16 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1864148

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey Paula, I saw in your training log that you are working on bi-lateral breathing. It's really good you are trying to learn to bilateral breathe. It will really help you develop an even stroke. However, in racing don't think that you have to swim bilaterally. Most world class distance swimmers breathe every two strokes to one side.

One thing that will really help to learn to breathe bilaterally is to really rotate your hips. When you are swimming your body rotation comes from your hips. So when you rotate you are basically swimming on your side and at that point your head should be pointing toward the wall of the pool. You shouldn't be turning your head much if at all to breathe and you shouldn't lift your head out of the water. You should be looking at the side of the pool when you breathe not at the ceiling and not backwards. Hope this helps.

2009-01-16 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1911454

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
jsipos - 2009-01-16 7:26 AM

Hey Paula, I saw in your training log that you are working on bi-lateral breathing. It's really good you are trying to learn to bilateral breathe. It will really help you develop an even stroke. However, in racing don't think that you have to swim bilaterally. Most world class distance swimmers breathe every two strokes to one side.

The biggest advantage I have found with using bilateral breathing during races is being able to swim straight(er) in open water. Mark
2009-01-16 6:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I figured the biggest reason for learning is because my neck kills me for the rest of the day after I swim breathing on the same side for an hour. With that said, and with what you said, I must be the example of turning my head too much and not rolling my body. I shall work on that next time in the pool. Maybe the problem is, my hips are too buoyant to roll!!!
2009-01-17 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Cumming, GA

jsipos - 2009-01-16 7:26 AM Hey Paula, I saw in your training log that you are working on bi-lateral breathing. It's really good you are trying to learn to bilateral breathe. It will really help you develop an even stroke. However, in racing don't think that you have to swim bilaterally. Most world class distance swimmers breathe every two strokes to one side. One thing that will really help to learn to breathe bilaterally is to really rotate your hips. When you are swimming your body rotation comes from your hips. So when you rotate you are basically swimming on your side and at that point your head should be pointing toward the wall of the pool. You shouldn't be turning your head much if at all to breathe and you shouldn't lift your head out of the water. You should be looking at the side of the pool when you breathe not at the ceiling and not backwards. Hope this helps.

I reccommend using a pull buoy.  It will really help you to concentrate on what your arms are doing and follow through in your hips. 

I like to start with a 100 yds side kick, alternating sides every 25 yds.  This gets you used to "laying" on your lead arm when you breathe.  Then, do a 100 yd pull with the buoy.  Think about reaching out with your lead arm, putting your ear to it when you breath.  Also, really pull that lead arm down and through, rotating your entire body.  The pull buoy will help you to feel the rotation all the way down your body to your feet.  Then, I try to work on putting it together with a 150 yds Swim/Kick/Pull, a 25 yds full swim thinking about all the mechanics, then a 25 yd kick concentration on hip rotation down through the foot, 25 yd pull thinking about alternate breathing and laying on that lead arm...then repeat.  I finish with a 200 yd swim, always keeping technique in mind.  With a nice warm up and warm down, this could be a half hour work out if you repeat the set twice!

2009-01-17 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Cumming, GA

After to bought with bronchitis, I did manage to finish my first race of the season (Disney Half).  I was only 3 minutes off my PR, so I'm happy.  However, my hubby just found out that his job has been eliminated, so I'm having to re-think my plans for the season, eliminating a large number of races.

My goal, now, is to complete one OLY and possibly one sprint.  I'm looking at the Chattanooga Waterfront in July or Russell in GA in August for the OLY.  Haven't decided which sprint...may do the tri2remember in September because I like the bike course.

My bike is my weakest leg, so I wanted to do a century ride this summer.  There's a nice flat one in September (Wilson 100). 

I signed up for the Disney full marathon in January 2010.  This will be my first full marathon (completed many halves) in over 15 years.

So, I've got approximately six months to prepare for my first OLY.  That's a long time out and I hate to lose the conditioning I already have.  I'm making up a training plan.  I'm thinking a balanced plan of alternating weeks focusing on run/bike/swim on Teus-Thurs-Saturdays.  Mon-Weds-Fridays will be bricks with strength training.  Sundays are tennis/recovery days.  I'm worried about building in periodicity (spelling?).  What should my last week of training look like before the OLY?  What distance should I train to?

I have a long history of getting sick close to race time.  I'm not sure if it's too much work out/not enough recovery or if its nutrition.  I eat pretty well, but could stand more fruits and veggie's in the diet.  Any recovery/nutrition advice/routines?

2009-01-18 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1913641

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Congrats on finishing your 1st race, and on a good time given your illness prior. Sorry to hear of your husband's job situation. Mark

2009-01-19 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
abbagej - 2009-01-17 9:27 AM
I'm making up a training plan.  I'm thinking a balanced plan of alternating weeks focusing on run/bike/swim on Teus-Thurs-Saturdays.  Mon-Weds-Fridays will be bricks with strength training.  Sundays are tennis/recovery days.  I'm worried about building in periodicity (spelling?).  What should my last week of training look like before the OLY?  What distance should I train to?

I have a long history of getting sick close to race time.  I'm not sure if it's too much work out/not enough recovery or if its nutrition.  I eat pretty well, but could stand more fruits and veggie's in the diet.  Any recovery/nutrition advice/routines?

Hey congrats on the Half Marathon. Hope your bronchitis is better. Regarding your training plans. Like I said in another post, I'd suggest not doing brick workouts at this time. You'd be much better splitting the workouts if possible and doing a seperate run and bike workout.

The week before the OLY you'll want to drop the volume but keep some intensity in your workouts. For example, the week before the race you might do some short intervals on the bike and run with lots of recovery between. Don't just take the week off.
2009-01-19 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry to hear about your husband!
2009-01-21 12:30 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey Abigail, on your question about speedwork for running. Tell me a little more about your running right now (how many times per week you run, how long have you been running consistently, what kind of run workouts you do now, etc). Everyone can benefit from running faster during workouts but the type of fast running depends on your running background etc. At a minimum you should be doing "strides" at the end of your run workouts.

Here's a question for EVERYONE. Does anyone know what "strides" (some people call them striders) are and does anyone do them?
2009-01-21 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1913144

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Paula, let us know how the swimming is going. At first really try to really exagerate rotating your hips. Also make sure to exhale the entire time your face is in the water and then when you roll to breathe you can just inhale. That way you won't have to turn your head to try to take several breathes.

In your log it says you got a Charlie Horse swimming? Do you mean like a muscle cramp? If so what are you doing before you swim?
2009-01-26 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
How's everyone's training going? I think I'm starting to hear crickets.

2009-01-28 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Subject: using a heart rate monitor
I have a question for everyone. How many of you use a HR monitor for your run and/or bike training? Are there ways to use one for training besides simply making sure you are in the correct zone? Thanks.
2009-01-29 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1934452

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: using a heart rate monitor
TriD64 - 2009-01-28 6:35 PM

I have a question for everyone. How many of you use a HR monitor for your run and/or bike training? Are there ways to use one for training besides simply making sure you are in the correct zone? Thanks.

Hey Mark, that's a pretty good question. I wear a HRM during my run and bike workouts. It's an OK tool for gauging workout intensity if you know it's limitations. Although I do wear one, I rarely use it to limit how hard I'm training. There are too many variables that can affect your heart rate. If you are using Heart rate you should really be combining that with perceived exertion and really get to know how the different training zones "feel". So if you are training and you "feel" like you are in Z4 but your Heart rate isn't there and you can't seem to get it there then understand that something might be causing that like fatigue, stress, etc. Don't keep trying to chase that HR number and don't get frustrated that you can't seem to get your HR where you think it needs to be.

So do you use one? If so, have you set up training zones based off your HR numbers? Who else uses a heart rate monitor?

2009-01-29 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1935728

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
jsipos - 2009-01-29 11:51 AM

Hey Mark, that's a pretty good question. I wear a HRM during my run and bike workouts. It's an OK tool for gauging workout intensity if you know it's limitations. Although I do wear one, I rarely use it to limit how hard I'm training. There are too many variables that can affect your heart rate. If you are using Heart rate you should really be combining that with perceived exertion and really get to know how the different training zones "feel". So if you are training and you "feel" like you are in Z4 but your Heart rate isn't there and you can't seem to get it there then understand that something might be causing that like fatigue, stress, etc. Don't keep trying to chase that HR number and don't get frustrated that you can't seem to get your HR where you think it needs to be.

So do you use one? If so, have you set up training zones based off your HR numbers? Who else uses a heart rate monitor?

Yes, I have been using one consistently for my run training for about a year. I used the method suggested by the D3 website for determining Lactate Threshold. I haven't used it to track staying in a HR zone except for Zone 2 for developing endurance, so your answer is helpful. If you usually wear one but don't use it to limit how hard you are training, what do you use it for? Mark
2009-01-30 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1936600

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
TriD64 - 2009-01-29 7:33 PM

jsipos - 2009-01-29 11:51 AM

Yes, I have been using one consistently for my run training for about a year. I used the method suggested by the D3 website for determining Lactate Threshold. I haven't used it to track staying in a HR zone except for Zone 2 for developing endurance, so your answer is helpful. If you usually wear one but don't use it to limit how hard you are training, what do you use it for? Mark

Have you done a Lactate Threshold test on the bike also? Which LT test did you do for the run? Well, I like to keep my eye on my HRM to get a good idea of how I'm feeling during a workout. Sometimes I use it for motivation to make me work harder. I could probably do fine without using it but have gotten accustomed to having it on. Like I said it can be a pretty good tool if you understand some of the limitations. Another point to remember when using a HRM is that HR always lags your effort. So during short intervals your HR may never get up to where it should or your average HR for that interval may not be as High as you think it should based on your training zones.

2009-02-01 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have just now started to monitor hr on occasion. It is more to keep things interesting during a long workout for me though. I don't want to start reading too much into the data though....

so when is everyones next race? I have my marathon in four weeks and Im excited. Also I have a question. Any advice on starting to use rollers?

2009-02-02 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1940271

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ATLrunr - 2009-02-01 7:27 PM

I have just now started to monitor hr on occasion. It is more to keep things interesting during a long workout for me though. I don't want to start reading too much into the data though....

so when is everyones next race? I have my marathon in four weeks and Im excited. Also I have a question. Any advice on starting to use rollers?

So is this your first marathon? My first race this year is New Orleans 70.3. I'm starting to get excited. I'm just ready for some warmer weather.

So when you say "rollers" do you mean the type you put your bike on and try not to fall off while riding or the big foam roller you can use as a self massage tool?
2009-02-02 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1937915

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Jeremy, thanks for your follow up. No, I haven't done a LT test on the bike, but I plan to come spring (if it comes). This is the procedure I followed for determining run LT [After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone. The 30 minute TT begins. At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.
The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT. You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had. 15 minutes easy cool down.] The bike process is the same. Would you suggest a different method. I tracked down an article on HR & pace in the 7/08 Triathlete Magazine. It discusses the need to track both HR and speed for, runs of more than an hour, then determining a ratio and trying to get the ratio to 5% or below. Starts to get complicated. Since I'm just a 'weekend warrior' when it comes to tri, I just want simple things to track. Mark
2009-02-02 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1940271

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
ATLrunr - 2009-02-01 6:27 PM

I'm envious of you all who have races coming up. Here in the north country the earliest outside race is May 17th, and that can be pretty chilly still. I am considering that race, but probably won't race until the 2nd week of June.

If you are asking about bike rollers, there was a video on the BT site about this not long ago.

Mark
2009-02-04 7:08 AM
in reply to: #1942246

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
TriD64 - 2009-02-02 8:21 PM

Jeremy, thanks for your follow up. No, I haven't done a LT test on the bike, but I plan to come spring (if it comes). This is the procedure I followed for determining run LT [After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone. The 30 minute TT begins. At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.
The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT. You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had. 15 minutes easy cool down.] The bike process is the same. Would you suggest a different method. I tracked down an article on HR & pace in the 7/08 Triathlete Magazine. It discusses the need to track both HR and speed for, runs of more than an hour, then determining a ratio and trying to get the ratio to 5% or below. Starts to get complicated. Since I'm just a 'weekend warrior' when it comes to tri, I just want simple things to track. Mark

Hey Mark, yeah that's the standard LTHR test that most people do for the bike and run. There is another test that I do for the run though that I like much better. It's a run graded test. I really like it because during the test you increase the intensity and basically go from Z1 through Z5 and get to "feel" the different zones. If you are going to re-test sometime and want to do that test I'll send you the instructions and help you analyze the data.

Also if anyone else in the group would like help determing training zones etc. let me know and I'll help.

Huh, yeah that does sound complicated. In engineering we have the KISS principle. (KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid). I'd say the majority of triathletes make things WAY too complicated. The best thing you can do with your training is staying CONSISTENT.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsipos group is Closed Rss Feed  

of 6