of 23

2009-01-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1861022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group- CLOSED
Welcome Jo!

You guys don't mind another cold weather girl, right? Plus we seem to have lost two peeps already (although I keep PM'ing them in hopes they return soon).

It is snowing more here- we already have over a foot. I am starting to seriously consider purchasing snow chains for my running shoes. I hate the treadmill- but I can't bike in the basement every single day.

How do I stay motivated in the winter? Planning for summer. Dreaming about bikes. And searching for bigger harder races to do. I want to go to an adventure racing camp but I need to get much more confident in tris first. I do want to stay warm and toasty- I guess that is why our road bikes and the trainer in the basement are so helpful. I don't have to leave the house!

Gator- GOOD JOB on getting out there Friday. I know I sent you a private note but I wanted to congratulate you on here to. Keep it up!

Back to making potato soup....everyone stay warm, and you Florida people- well, enjoy your nice weather now. We all wish we were where you are!

2009-01-17 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Well, for me, running outside in the cold is no big deal. However, I won't bike in the cold.  I'm relegated to my basement for that.  As far as swimming goes, I don't think it gets any better than swimming in the winter!  Walking across the parking lot of the Y shivering, knowing that in about 10 minutes you'll be in the water....what could be better? 

2009-01-17 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Thanks for letting me join in. 

It is snowing like crazy today.  I agree about the swim but for me I think about the walk back to my car after showering and being all toasty warm, like coming out of a warm bath into the cold.  BRRRRR!

Treadmills and trainers rock.  I got a spin series of CD's from my daughters for Christmas that just came on Thursday.  I am so disappointed, no music, only the guy talking.  I am thinking of taking a 5:15am spin class.  Does anyone else get a run or bike in before work?  Is that working for you? 

Ann, you said you do Weight Watchers, how do you like the new Momentum plan?  Is it good?  I am thinking of doing south beach phase 1 next week while my husband is out of town to get myself back on track with healthy carbs. 

Happy Training to all!   Stay warm this weekend!  jo

2009-01-17 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Oh me and Weight Watchers...

It was nice, simply because I got into this mindset that I was training so much this summer, I could eat anything and not gain weight- but it isnt about gaining weight, or losing weight, it's about eating what my body needs to function well.

Their new momentum plan does a good job of educating about filling foods- I think before with points it was easy for people to blow all their points on crap and then fill in with egg white omelettes (I have a friend who did this and could not figure out the objections I had to her snicker bar habit). Keeping track of what I eat online through weight watchers is nice, because it makes me think twice about snacks and which ones I should choose. I still eat the same amount of food; and we've lightened up a lot of things, which is good for everyone in the house.

I am training a lot more than I was this time last year, and focusing on some Core work. I am actually starting to seem a waist and some abs. Crazy. I think all the training helps with the weight watchers...but I am very close to my range where my body is just going to stick, and I am mentally ready for that.

The pool to car run- brrrr- my hair freezes constantly because it sticks out of my fleece cap. I'm normally juggling my swim bag, diaper bag, and wiggling toddler as I charge as quickly as I can towards the van through the snowy lot.

Hoping to get a run in tomorrow- happy training everyone!
2009-01-18 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

What's everyone up to this weekend?

My husband left early this morning for California.  So it will be just me and my 16 year old daughter all week.  She has put on a bit of weight and I am trying not to harp on her.  We sat down this morning and (healthily, if that is a word, and unknowningly to her) plotted our meals for the week.  I told her that because it was just the two of us, I would do limited shopping so lets just get what we will eat.  My DH is a huge snacker and we always have some unhealthy stuff in the house when he is home that my daughter will also indulge in.  I am excited to have my meals planned for the week.  There is so much I want to do while he is gone, cleaning and organizing.  His schedule is crazy busy so when he is home we are usually running and don't have time to just take care of us. He is working full-time at Chrysler but also opening a business in case he loses his job. 

I am going to start doing my FIRM tapes again to build up my core muscles and run in the mornings before work.  Today, I want to get on the trainer for a while and then catch an evening yoga class.  

2009-01-18 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
jo-

sounds like great plans this week! my husband is home tomorrow- everyone has the day off for MLK day, so when I ran to the grocery today he and the 6 year old had lots of snack requests, things I will eat if they are around, but can avoid if they just are not here. M&M's, chips and dip. Good job planning out the meals for the week- I just finished doing that as well. We're eating lots of chicken, and ground chicken breast, right now. I must say I miss bacon...

It's Sunday, so Mike and I both got our runs in - traded off time at the local Y on the treadmills. We did not drag the children in because the oldest just got over a fever, and that place is a hotbed for germs. He spent his morning looking at Computrainers (no, we can not afford one, but oh MY are they awesome, especially here where we can only really ride outside for 5 months out of the year), and new helmets (he cracked his in his last race). We are also looking for a new (used) bike for me, something lighter than my 18year old road bike that used to be Mike's, and hopefully will fit me better. Any tips on buying a bike? I'm a tall gal, so I have to get a men's frame (Mike says they do not make women's frames in my size).

Next weekend- Saturday- is our triathlon club's winter expo. It's open to the public. I did not go last year but will hopefully get to go this year.

My body is tired out! I think I need to take a day off soon. How about everyone else? Or did you guys take the weekend off? Jo, good luck with that yoga class tonight.

2009-01-18 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Today was my rest day.  I did a total of 10 hours of training last week between swimming running and cycling, so I was ready for a day off too.....  It's snowing now, so I'm not sure about getting to the Y for my 5:30 swim, but maybe a run at lunch and a ride in the basement tomorrow night while I watch 24....
2009-01-18 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Welcome jo

I did Weight Watchers too.  I actually am  a lifetime member and worked for them for a while.  But I still count points (well sometimes) and wish I could lose 10 more lbs.    I really like the Momentum plan, I had always tried to choose Core foods in the past anyhow, so it's pretty similiar to what I had been doing.

I finally got that long run in for the week, had to just bite the bullet and do it on the treadmill.  The cold wasn't so bad, but the streets weren't clean and there was no place that didn't have snow/ice on it to even try to run outside.

Yesterday we did a winter hike in Hocking Hills.  Was only 6 miles, but there was I was sore afterwards...(I guess stiff is more how to describe it.)  I think there's something about walking kind of hunched over watching for ice every where that just isn't normal walking.

Day off tomorrow, my youngest (16) and I are off to ski.  I'm hoping to get in some weights once we get home. 

Everyone have a good day

2009-01-18 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hello Jo and welcome!

Motivation is was a problem for several of us, but together we Fancy Pantsers will TAKE OVER THE WORLD...er, will have a great and rewarding season.  Hope everyone is doing well. 

Anne, Could we have an updated list of our 'active' group, please. 

Edited by jeffnboise 2009-01-18 9:03 PM
2009-01-20 7:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

I had an INCREDIBLE swim this morning.  I've been reading the TI book, and have been doing some of the drills.  Well, today it clicked!  My stroke count dropped from 23 or 24 to as low as 17, with an average of 19-20.  I'd been able to gut out a distance of 300 yards previously, but today did 500 yards at the end of my workout, and only stopped because I ran out of time!  I hope this carries over to my swim tomorrow!

Matt

2009-01-20 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Matt: CONGRATULATIONS! What a great swim. You made me excited to get to the pool today.

Jeff: Sure. I'm on it. Here are our actively training people:

Matt (scout21)
Jo (jogo)
Jeff (jeffnboise)
gator416
Gina (scubagirl) (or do you go by Ginny?)
Mike (Miker1818)
Anne (akr18)

I took yesterday off- my body was tired and achy and needed a rest. Today is a swim day- and my pool time is smack in the middle of the Inauguration, so I'm dvr-ing it. I'm hoping this will be the first week in quite a while that I get two pool workouts in.

Mike is doing PT for his shoulder, and is temporarily banned from swimming and weights.

2009-01-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1917718

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

AKR18 - 2009-01-20 9:42 AM Matt: CONGRATULATIONS! What a great swim. You made me excited to get to the pool today. Jeff: Sure. I'm on it. Here are our actively training people: Matt (scout21) Jo (jogo) Jeff (jeffnboise) gator416 Gina (scubagirl) (or do you go by Ginny?) Mike (Miker1818) Anne (akr18) I took yesterday off- my body was tired and achy and needed a rest. Today is a swim day- and my pool time is smack in the middle of the Inauguration, so I'm dvr-ing it. I'm hoping this will be the first week in quite a while that I get two pool workouts in. Mike is doing PT for his shoulder, and is temporarily banned from swimming and weights.

Yes I go by Ginny, but I'm used to being called everything from Jenny to Hey you  

2009-01-20 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
My name is Heather :-)
2009-01-20 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1917616

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
scout21 - 2009-01-20 8:23 AM

I had an INCREDIBLE swim this morning. I've been reading the TI book, and have been doing some of the drills. Well, today it clicked! My stroke count dropped from 23 or 24 to as low as 17, with an average of 19-20. I'd been able to gut out a distance of 300 yards previously, but today did 500 yards at the end of my workout, and only stopped because I ran out of time! I hope this carries over to my swim tomorrow!

Matt

Great swim.  I read that book and work with a coach and still can't drop my stroke count under 28.   

2009-01-20 6:20 PM
in reply to: #1919004

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
jogo - 2009-01-20 6:05 PM
scout21 - 2009-01-20 8:23 AM

I had an INCREDIBLE swim this morning. I've been reading the TI book, and have been doing some of the drills. Well, today it clicked! My stroke count dropped from 23 or 24 to as low as 17, with an average of 19-20. I'd been able to gut out a distance of 300 yards previously, but today did 500 yards at the end of my workout, and only stopped because I ran out of time! I hope this carries over to my swim tomorrow!

Matt

Great swim.  I read that book and work with a coach and still can't drop my stroke count under 28.   

Have you watched the DVD?  I've only watched lesson 1 so far - my DVD should be arriving any day.  But I did find this link on the totalimmersion.net/forums page that has lesson one on line...

http://www.vimeo.com/1012723

Matt

2009-01-20 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
OKay....updated list:

Heather (gator416)
Matt (scout21)
Jeff (jeffnboise)
Ginny (scubagrrl)
Mike (Miker1818)
Jo (jogo)
Anne (akr18)

Good swim today for me, but my goal of getting two swim workouts a week in is just not working well. The toddler spent the hour I was away from her trying to climb out of the gates in the nursery, looking for me. They do manage to distract her nicely, but it still makes me feel badly if I find out she has been missing me.

2009-01-21 3:47 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Anne, Thanks for the updates and the encouragement.

Great swimming, Matt.

Heather-nice to 'meet' you.

I'm rather pleased with myself.  I've had a pretty good several days of work outs-and I'm hungry for more (sorry Mr. Bourdain).  Thank you all for support- I 'heart' mentor groups.

2009-01-21 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1919569

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
jeffnboise - 2009-01-21 3:47 AM

I'm rather pleased with myself.  I've had a pretty good several days of work outs-and I'm hungry for more (sorry Mr. Bourdain).  Thank you all for support- I 'heart' mentor groups.

That's what we like to hear!

I just ran 8 miles on the treadmill at the Y.  It was BRUTAL!  That will NEVER happen again! I got to watch the same edition of sports center twice.  Blech.  I'm going back outside for the rest of my winter runs.  Weather be damned!

Matt

2009-01-21 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I've been telling myself that it has to get warmer. At least our roads are starting to get clear enough we might be able to run outside. I agree on the treadmills...I usually end up bored to tears, looking out the window at the snow-filled pool.

Good job, everyone, on staying motivated this month and logging those workouts! Keep it up.
2009-01-21 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

I'm with you Scout on the horrible long run on the treadmill.  I did 7 miles on Sunday, talk about boring...had the tv on, mp3 player going and even a magazine to try to keep me distracted! 

Have another 7 to get in this week, it's suppose to warm up and be above freezing tomorrow and Friday.  So I'm hoping that will melt the ice off the road and I can go out and run outside on Friday. (Fingers Crossed!!!)

2009-01-21 11:50 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

OMG!!

7 miles on the dreadmill-my hat is off to you both.  I'd rather have a prostate exam that spend an hour on the treadmill...well, maybe not quite, but close!  It seems all of us have started to come out of our 'funk' and are logging some great minutes.  Bravo!

2009-01-22 5:54 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I am the odd one out here.  I detest running outside when there could be evil ice or worse yet, bitter cold.  I think, in another life, I must've lived in the tropics.   I find the treadmill boring but I do put a DVD in and spice it up. 

The last time I ran outside was Dec. 8 and fell, not on ice but on uneven pavement, at night, which is when I usually run.  My left ankle doesn't talk to me with running or biking but with swimming, when I am flexing it against the resistance of the water.  I have an appt. on Monday with a sports doc, if I keep it (not big on the whole doctor thing).

Happy training everyone!  Keep up the good work!  Its almost the weekend! 

2009-01-22 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
keep the doctor appointment- he might be able to give you some PT exercises to help strengthen your ankle. I ran cross country in college (back when we raced with dinosaurs) and had multiple ankle injuries from running on uneven terrain at 4am. Jo, maybe you need a headlamp.

The toddler is showing all of the classic symptoms of separation anxiety- this could interfere with winter workouts, but I'm hoping our favorite Y will be able to handle her. I need to fit in a run today, and a swim tomorrow, so I can hopefully run outside either Saturday or Sunday. Weather forecast sure is promising, Ginny!

Happy Training!
2009-01-22 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Good news and a little bad news.

The good:  Tuesday's swim wasn't a fluke (get it?)  I managed today to swim 4X500 yard repeats, and was not as out of wind as I have been in the past after swimming much shorter distances.  Again, I felt like I could have kept going.  But I had other things to do in the pool....

The bad:  One of the things that I'm working on is bilateral breathing.  I swam 200 yards on top of that 2000 only breathing on my weak side.  I had to stop several times due to swallowinig half of the water in the pool.  I was able to swim a complete 25 yard length only 3 or 4 times out of 8 in that 200 yards.  That was a little discouraging.  I'm sure the problem is mental.  I've always been mental.  Laughing

But the progress that I'm making means that the good FAR outweighed the bad today, so all in all, I'm happy with how my swimming is going.  The breathing will come in time....almost forgot.  The masters coach was there today even though it wasn't a masters swim.  She was surprised at the progress that I've made in the past few weeks.  I think that I'll be able to keep up with the masters - at least distance wise - in a few more weeks.  Speed is another story entirely, but I'll be happy when I can complete the whole masters workout without lagging too far behind them.

Matt

Matt

2009-01-22 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Great news on the swimming!

Bilateral breathing is TOUGH. I do not even attempt it.

And I'm glad the coach gave you some good feedback on your progress. Keep up the good work!

I had a decent treadmill run but have hit a bit of a roadblock. My new preventative meds for the migraines is a blood pressure medication. One of the unfortunate side effects seems to be painful tingling in my hands and feet which starts about twenty minutes into my run, along with lightheadedness and dizziness post run. As I told Mike, this must be medicine related, because my nutrition is spot on, and it's not like I just started running and am not in shape. I have a call into my neurology group and we will see what they say; however, the med routine seems to be working and helping, so I don't want to change that just so I can run longer. I guess I'm hoping this is temporary and will fade as my body gets used to the medicine. Good thing I'm not training with any of you halfs, right?

Ginny, the roads are clear here and I passed 3 runners while out this morning. I wish I could have run outside but I'm fairly certain it would be frowned on to put the toddler in the jog stroller in this weather...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23