BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-01-06 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1866633

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business
Tonight was the first night I've watched any of the biggest loser.  Wish I would have seen the middle part- I assume they show the diet and exercise?  Some impressive results.

2009-01-07 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1891047

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Sprint_DA - 2009-01-06 8:51 PM Tonight was the first night I've watched any of the biggest loser.  Wish I would have seen the middle part- I assume they show the diet and exercise?  Some impressive results.

Last season was the first time I"ve seen any of the shows... I made sure to see the last one to see the changes and even though I saw Michelle and her Mom a couple of times before it aired I was amazed at how great they were doing.   I 'm not a big fan of reality shows but this one at least makes a huge change for the positive in the lifes of many people both on and off the show..

2009-01-07 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1892467

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Gaarryy - 2009-01-07 12:28 PM

Sprint_DA - 2009-01-06 8:51 PM Tonight was the first night I've watched any of the biggest loser.  Wish I would have seen the middle part- I assume they show the diet and exercise?  Some impressive results.

Last season was the first time I"ve seen any of the shows... I made sure to see the last one to see the changes and even though I saw Michelle and her Mom a couple of times before it aired I was amazed at how great they were doing.   I 'm not a big fan of reality shows but this one at least makes a huge change for the positive in the lifes of many people both on and off the show..

The show can be a bit much but to see the transformations it is amazing.

2009-01-07 10:25 PM
in reply to: #1881659

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Gaarryy's Group now Open for Business

Hey Dan how was Yoga, last night.. ??

I figured that with a group who said where a few said their biggest challenge was finding time to work out might be a little quiet,, but wow you guys are silent..or maybe you are all out training.. I just got back from the gym for my weights, got some food ready for tomorrow and off to bed.. 

talk amoung yourself, get to know each other a bit,, drop by their training blogs to give an inspire...  or even ask a question here,, I'm not a coach by any means but I know my way aroudn the site somewhat...

ok off to bed

2009-01-08 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1893981

User image

Davenport, IA
Gaarryy - 2009-01-07 10:25 PM

I figured that with a group who said where a few said their biggest challenge was finding time to work out might be a little quiet,, but wow you guys are silent..or maybe you are all out training.. I just got back from the gym for my weights, got some food ready for tomorrow and off to bed.. 

talk amoung yourself, get to know each other a bit,, drop by their training blogs to give an inspire...  or even ask a question here,, I'm not a coach by any means but I know my way aroudn the site somewhat...

ok off to bed

Yoga was good last night, for the time we got to do it.  The instructor changed the time, and apparently I was the only person who paid attention to the schedule.  So there weren't enough people to really start the class until 5:25 instead of 5:15 but we still had to be out of the room by 6:15.  I can definitely feel a difference in my flexibility from when I started though, my feet don't get the pins and needles feeling because of tight hamstrings anymore. 

Next I need to find a way to stretch/lengthen my IT bands.  My mom scheduled an hour with a massage therapist for me at Christmas, and his comment was I had the tightest IT bands he'd ever seen.  And when I talked to my parents a bit about it (both were/are runners) turns out my mom had some issues with her left one, and my dad had a cortisone shot in his left side.  My sister also has problems with hers, so I guess it's a bit of genetics.  Funny thing is, other than people telling me they're tight, I never have any issues with them.

2009-01-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1893981

User image

Davenport, IA
Gaarryy - 2009-01-07 10:25 PM

ok off to bed

Are you our post count mentor, too?

2009-01-08 1:56 PM

User image

Regular

I just wanted to take a moment to hopefully infect everyone with some pool enthusiasm...I just returned from my first swim workout since before my wrist surgery in early October. I was actually unable to swim consistently due to the injury for much of August & September also.

Anyway, I hopped in the pool with a sense of dread , however, I felt comfortable with my stroke and really felt no discomfort. I had expected to be very uncomfortable & clunky in the water...but that didn't happen! I just concentrated on using my forearm vs. the hand/wrist on the pull. Something I needed to focus on anyway. I did 6x100 and 5x50 not much but it's a start!

2009-01-08 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1895473

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
vivmo - 2009-01-08 1:56 PM

I just wanted to take a moment to hopefully infect everyone with some pool enthusiasm...I just returned from my first swim workout since before my wrist surgery in early October. I was actually unable to swim consistently due to the injury for much of August & September also.

Anyway, I hopped in the pool with a sense of dread , however, I felt comfortable with my stroke and really felt no discomfort. I had expected to be very uncomfortable & clunky in the water...but that didn't happen! I just concentrated on using my forearm vs. the hand/wrist on the pull. Something I needed to focus on anyway. I did 6x100 and 5x50 not much but it's a start!

Great job - any distance is positive - period - also coming back from surgery awesome !!!!!!

2009-01-08 4:32 PM

User image

Davenport, IA

That's awesome! Congratulations.

2009-01-08 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle

Way to go!  I'm infected.  I haven't swam since highschool (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...) and have been putting off diving back into the pool.  I've been working on getting up earlier in the morning instead of hitting the snooze button (maybe the worst thing about Seattle - winter sunrise may not be until 8:00 am, and it could be even later if it's cloudy).  I think I'll input a swim program over the weekend to start on Monday morning - more base building.

2009-01-08 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

Keith,

This is one infection that I certainly hope I pick up.  I have not swam for 5 out of the last 6 weeks and the one week I did swim it was pretty ugly.  I am scheduled to get in the pool tomorrow morning and have exactly the same expectations that you had going into your swim.  Sure hope my results are as positive as yours were.

I have been 'swimming' for three years now.  I truelly thought that I was athletic enough and determined enough that given three years of focused energy I could learn to do just about anything physical.  I never would have expected to be slam dunked by the water.  If I had been giving it only a half hearted effort I would admit that to myself and say that I deserve the results that I've gotten, but I have really put a lot into this and just ain't gettin it.

2009-01-08 8:05 PM
in reply to: #1895978

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

Dave,

Have you always lived in Seattle?  My son swears that I am solar powered.  If mom doesn't get sunshine, then watch out.  I always thought Seattle would be beautiful but a difficult place to live.  This winter has been unbelievable for you.  Hopefully you'll thaw out soon.

2009-01-08 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1896363

User image

Veteran
Seattle
jkholden - 2009-01-08 8:05 PM

Dave,

Have you always lived in Seattle?  My son swears that I am solar powered.  If mom doesn't get sunshine, then watch out.  I always thought Seattle would be beautiful but a difficult place to live.  This winter has been unbelievable for you.  Hopefully you'll thaw out soon.

I've been in Seattle for close to 8 years now, before that I've lived in Wisconsin most of my life (4 years in South Carolina while my Dad was in the Navy back in the '70s).  You can't beat the summers in Seattle though; mountains wherever you look and water to the East and West, usually 75-80 degrees, little to no humidity and the sun is out until 9:30-10:00pm.  Winter is another story - if it isn't raining, it's probably cloudy, and that can last for weeks.  Throw snow in there and they pretty much shut down the city:  This year was a once in a decade event, usually we get an inch once a year and it melts by the end of the day.  We're heading back to normal with temps in the 50's and sun predicted for the weekend Cool!

2009-01-08 10:44 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Hey there that's some great news to hear...  and that's a nice workout to get back into the swing of things... 

2009-01-08 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1896660

User image

Champion
the colony texas

well it's late .. well at least for me.. so this is my good morning message to everyone..

what's the big plans for the weekend??

I'll have two run workouts and one bike this weekend, but I'm more excited since I"m going to a dance seminar... I did one of these about 8 yrs ago for swing dancing and it was a blast, I still remember most of the basic moves so I don't embarress myself to much,,, Tomorrow I'll be learning mostly country, but no line dances... it's a local teacher that has these once a quarter at a country bar, from 12 till their doors open at 8pm  just 15 bucks and bring a covered dish so it's also a potluck with dancing... woo woo

2009-01-09 6:07 AM
in reply to: #1896668

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Gaarryy - 2009-01-08 10:47 PM

well it's late .. well at least for me.. so this is my good morning message to everyone..

what's the big plans for the weekend??

I'll have two run workouts and one bike this weekend, but I'm more excited since I"m going to a dance seminar... I did one of these about 8 yrs ago for swing dancing and it was a blast, I still remember most of the basic moves so I don't embarress myself to much,,, Tomorrow I'll be learning mostly country, but no line dances... it's a local teacher that has these once a quarter at a country bar, from 12 till their doors open at 8pm  just 15 bucks and bring a covered dish so it's also a potluck with dancing... woo woo

Pending weather - long ride with Frisco Cycling Club and Richardson Bike Mart - I hope to get in about 56 to 60 miles but we will see - Kids basketball

2009-01-09 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1896668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

My weekend is supposed to be a 2hr run on Saturday which I will probably cut to 1:45 since my longest long run lately has only been 10 miles.  This will be on a very hilly course but it's in a park on groomed dirt trails which I LOVE.

Sunday is supposed to be a 3hr bike ride.  My fast friends are doing a 2hr ride so I'll probably go early and get 30 minutes of easy spinning in before so I'm warmed up and they don't drop me from the push off, then suck one of their wheels for the next 2hrs.  I know that leaves me 30min short but I haven't ridden with these guys in a long time and I'm always nervous about it.  Although they are a great group and always make sure someone pulls me along if I'm struggling.

I just shortened both of my weekend workouts before the weekend even starts.  I'm training for a HIM which isn't until May, the 3hr bike ride will nearly cover my HIM bike and the 2hr run will more then cover my HIM run so I don't feel at all bad about shortening these workouts some until I get my volume where it really should have been before I took this plan on.

2009-01-09 8:45 PM

User image

Regular

So...weekend plans? Mid-Morning run (maybe trails) after my pregnant wife wakes-up from recovering from her overnight shift at work. She's an air traffic controller. Did i mention pregnant air traffic controller? Recipe for tension & grumpiness for sureSurprised. Anyway...we've got a hot date with some friends who are also pregnant with child #3. What's on the agenda...wait for it...Benjamin Button & pizza. My social life is very limited as you see.

Sunday will be my first bike ride in a while...the wrist articulations were not impossible after the cast removal...just very uncomfortable. I've done some neighborhood rides with the kids on my mt. bike just no road bike. Wish me luck.

Edited by vivmo 2009-01-09 8:46 PM
2009-01-09 9:12 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Weekend plans?  Well, tonight I ran and swam.  Tomorrow will be yoga and a bike ride (trainer) plus some cleaning in the apartment (which is desperately needed).  Sunday - football.  Maybe throw in some contact with the outside world there...maybe not, who knows.  Hope y'all have a good weekend, and Vivmo...good luck with the roaddie. 
2009-01-09 11:04 PM
in reply to: #1898961

User image

Champion
the colony texas
vivmo - 2009-01-09 8:45 PM

So...weekend plans? Mid-Morning run (maybe trails) after my pregnant wife wakes-up from recovering from her overnight shift at work. She's an air traffic controller. Did i mention pregnant air traffic controller? Recipe for tension & grumpiness for sureSurprised. Anyway...we've got a hot date with some friends who are also pregnant with child #3. What's on the agenda...wait for it...Benjamin Button & pizza. My social life is very limited as you see.

Sunday will be my first bike ride in a while...the wrist articulations were not impossible after the cast removal...just very uncomfortable. I've done some neighborhood rides with the kids on my mt. bike just no road bike. Wish me luck.

WOW!! I missed that before ,, that your wife is pregnant.. CONGRATS!!!!  and I'm single with not a lot of actual commitments yet I can't find time to go to a movie, you two are doing much better than I... have a great date night and weekend

2009-01-10 2:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
vivmo - 2009-01-09 8:45 PM

Congratulations on the pregnancy and good luck on the bike ride.  Sorry about the chick flick.

Not much going on here, I have to work 4 hours Saturday and then studying for the rest of the weekend (with a scheduled 30 minute walk on Sunday).

2009-01-10 3:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
vivmo - 2009-01-09 9:45 PM

When is the baby due?  Is this your first?  And who is the cute guy in your avitar?

Good luck on the bike ride. 

2009-01-10 7:12 AM
in reply to: #1899244

User image

Regular
jkholden - 2009-01-10 3:49 AM
vivmo - 2009-01-09 9:45 PM

When is the baby due?  Is this your first?  And who is the cute guy in your avitar?

Good luck on the bike ride. 

Thanks for the congrats, everyone.

We are just getting rolling on Baby #3. He/she is due on August 27. So, we are in the middle of Trimester 1...referred to around here as the "Dark Days". My wife typically struggles (sick, moody, tired, etc.) through the first weeks & then seems to thrive throughout the remaining months! So far, we have Vivian (almost 6) and Jack (4). The kid/family thing has been wonderful & fulfilling, so far. We love it....thus we continue to have kids into our late thirties. Whew. Cooper is the 100 pound security system we have from when we lived in a more "eclectic" neighborhood. He's a Boxer with some bear and alligator mixed-in , too. Thanks for asking!

Judy, I was looking at your 2008 numbers: wow. I have bever trained for anything above an Oly so the numbers you put-up are awesome. Are your swimming "issues" in the race or are you just struggling with fine-tuning your form? My problem seems to be on race-day. I start too fast, can't find my stroke or breathing, pre-occupation with sighting, etc. One big ball of anxiety.

Keith

2009-01-10 5:36 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
So I've been being a bad group member and not checking in here too much. But, congrats on the upcoming baby vivmo! That's fantastic, especially with you also getting back in the pool. Glancing at everybody's logs it looks like everyone has been doing well. Enjoy your weekend workouts, and if you feel like doing a few
2009-01-10 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1899290

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

I bought myself a present today that I'm really excited about.  Swimming is really tough for me.......you will see me compain about it continuously.  Even right before my IM last year I could not swim 3-4K yards non-stop without a wetsuit, and I was spending hours in the pool.  So today I went to the local tri shop that is selling off their 2008 wetsuit rentals and got a sleeveless for $60.  I will use it for my long swims in the pool.  If the chlorine destroys it I don't have that much invested. I don't like to subject my good one to the chlorine.  Using it once a month or so, and with proper care afterwards, it could still last me a couple of years and would be well worth the cost to me.  I have no issues with overheating in a wetsuit in the pool.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gaarryy's Group now Closed for Business Rss Feed  

of 13