BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-01-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1866775

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim
Trudee-Did you really ride the bike for 22 hours on Tuesday? You might want to update your log

2009-01-03 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1883965

Champion
No excuses!
dbryson13 - 2009-01-03 9:26 AM

Got back in the gym yesterday.  Wow!  I am sore this morning.  I did some light upperbody wieghts and walk/ran for 30 min.  Man it was good to break a sweat after all the Holiday eating and lounging.  I am going for a trail ride today.  Should be a great work out.  Have never ridin these trails so lets hope I come back all in piece.

I haven't bought a road bike yet for the triathlon training.  Any suggestions on a good bike for a beginner?  Say $400-$700 range

Have a great Day!!

I am waiting on that feeling. I have been a giant slacker the month of December and also was sick for about two weeks and I know my next hard workout will create a tough morining after.

2009-01-03 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1884105

Champion
No excuses!

craftyazgal - 2009-01-03 11:43 AM Aaron-I was just doing a word document with everyone's opening post so I can get to know everyone . Here is the "simple" list: Shermbelle K Robert craftyazgal Trudee tlstacy dripfam microspawn stlboilermaker ddwalls kimk shannon1066 jtflash dbryson13 rjdorman bulldog520 aarondavidson rjablonski I think that does it

Thanks for doing that for me. The last few days and I am sure and those to come are crazy with the new little one. Been meaning to get a list together of the group so thanks for doing that for me.

2009-01-03 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1884181

Champion
No excuses!

craftyazgal - 2009-01-03 12:51 PM Trudee-sorry you are having a rough time. Good for you getting on the TM. Again, I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with snow. Drew-I got my road bike on Craig's list. Keep looking. I took a bike friend with me because I knew absolutely nothing about buying a bicycle. It was listed for $400 and I offered him $350 and he took it. Here are the specs: Womans Fuji Newest Road Bike FRAMESET: Fuji Altair 2 Compact aluminum w/Power Diamond shape down tube. FORK: FC-990 Fuji Bonded Carbon w/ 1 1/8" Cro-Mo steerer WHEELS Alex AKX-R1.0Tri 27 speed, 48 cm frame, shimano flightdeck shifters, shimano tiagra components, woman's specific geometry frame. The bike is about five years old with about 10 miles on it (No joke). One small dent from a drop. My friend thinks I got a good deal. Any other opinions?

Sounds like a good price on the bike. Are you going to have  a fit done or does can your bike friend help with that? Being comfortable makes all the difference in the world.

2009-01-03 3:28 PM

2009-01-03 5:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Michael-I have an appointment for a fit with a master fitter tentative on 1/10. They scheduled me but are not sure if he would be back so then "penciled" me in.

I did 1 swim workout and 3 run/walk workouts so far this week. Yesterday was a rest day (according to my schedule I have 2 of those) so I need to get another workout in for this week. I know I shouldn't do two rest days in a row but that's what it will probably be this week.

I wanted to go for a ride today but my schedule is so up in the air with having to be flexible with my husband's healing. He owns his own CPA business so the timing for the surgery sucked but it had to be done. They didn't want him to wait until May. January is his busiest month so I need to be available to him when he wants to come to the office. He felt up to coming in today so I'm letting him work as long as he is able so that means it will be dark when we get home.

Perhaps tomorrow I can get a bike ride in. I'm avoiding the cold but I'll have to "man up" as Jon's wife said and get out there before we come into the office tomorrow if I want to get it done. I have no excuse because we have no snow or ice just cold. Okay, now everyone is going to smack me because cold to me isn't anything what you eastern people are used to. It was 46 degrees when I got up at 8:00 this a.m. We didn't leave until around 12 to come into the office so if I had gone for a ride at 10 it was 57 degrees. It was only 43 degrees when I jumped in the pool in Oct for my first tri. Okay, I'm pathetic I will go for a ride tomorrow! Someone make me accountable and ask me.

2009-01-03 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
I was going to rest today but due to Jon's inspiration I decided to do some weights at home. I only use 5 lb weights but at least I did something for 15 minutes. I also did 30 sit ups.
2009-01-04 9:27 AM

New user

Truddee- Keep your head up.  Things will be better!

Jill- Thanks for the advise.  Went on Craigs list today and found several deals. 

I will take all the advice I can get on equipment. 

Went trail riding yesterday, what a cadio and leg workout.  Great trails here in Southern, IN.  It is a great trail for beginners.  It was very muddy yesterday, made for a real challenge on the trail.   Probably should have not done it, but couldn't turn back after all excitment of getting to the trail.

First day back in the water today.  I am going for a 30 min, light swim.  Goal to be seamless in the water.  Work on form and breathing, try to keep kicking to a minimum.

Micheal- I take a vitam pack that was build and designed for me.  Do you recommend any supplements for a triathlete(or one in training).  I was looking at Atro-Phex and N.O. Explode.  These seem to be more for strenght training.  Any suggestions or do you stay away from them all together.

2009-01-04 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Getting back on track
FYI - microspawn (i don't know where this 'handle' came from but I have had it for about 15 years) but my name is James.

I have really enjoyed the holidays (I work at a university so I have been off for about 2 weeks) but I am ready to get back into my routine. With family visiting and travelling myself my training plan has really suffered. I went for two 3 mile runs earlier in the week and then jumped back on my training plan. Yesterday it called for a 2 1/2 hour run. This should not have been much of a problem. Trying to be smart I decided to do the run slow. I kept my heart rate in zone 1 and just trudged along. About 1 1/2 hours into the run it started to rain. Then thunder. Then lightening. I would normally not mind running in the rain - in fact some of my best runs have been in the rain. But at about the 2 hour mark the run got really hard. My right hamstring started to tighten up and my feet and ankles did not feel great. Soaking wet I must have weighed a couple of pounds more than normal. My shoes were heavy with water. Luckily no blisters or hot spots developed. I took some nutrition with me on this run - a power bar type thing and a gel. I consumed the bar at 1 hour and the gel 30 minutes later. I thought this might help and I did not bonk or anything.

I allowed myself to recover the entire rest of the day and I needed it. I took an ice bath (well cold water bath) in the jacuzzi bath tub to try and reduce the recovery time. There was no immediate relief. I was so sore. My legs were aching most of the evening. After a good nights sleep my body feels much better.

I would guess that I was sore because of the time off and jumping right back into a long run. Today calls for a 4 hour bike ride. My legs will be tired after this ride but they are never sore like after running long.

Regarding weight - I am down 3.8 pounds and 2 body fat percentage points since the first. The body fat is from the scale and it has been precise in the long run - over the short run it can read high. I know that this is not 'real weight'. This is the extra water weight that was retained from all of the rich holiday foods. Remember, water weighs about 8.3 pounds per gallon (or 1 liter of water = 1 kilogram - metric is so much easier). The next week will be harder but the weight will be real.

I am glad to be a part of this group - good things are to come -

James
2009-01-04 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Questions and comments
dbryson13 - what part of Indiana are you from? I lived in Terre Haute for many years and spent a lot of time in Bloomington before moving to Mississippi. They both have running and cycling clubs - the Bloomington cycling club is great with so many bike routes. There is also a triathlon in Terre Haute and you can not forget RAIN - ride across Indiana that starts in Terre Haute (158 miles / 1 day)

Aaron - I looked at your racing goals -

Sub 5:00 HIM
Sub 19:59 5k
1:30 half marathon

I think we have similar aspirations. I got my sub-20 5k in August (19:56). I have lost most of that speed this fall. And did a 1:37 1/2 mary in November (I have a nagging hamstring that prevented me from doing more than 5 mile runs for 6 weeks prior to the race - I think that the sub 1:30 is possilbe with a more consistant build - and a perfect day). Now the 5:00 HIM - that one is going to be tough. I keep doing the math in my head - it does not add up for me this year. Everything would have to be perfect and then some. 30 minute swim / 2:45 bike (20.36 MPH) / 1:45 (8:00 / Mile) - and that does not include transitions.

However, I am going to give the HIM a try on April 5th down in New Orleans.
2009-01-04 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1885184

New user
Subject: RE: Questions and comments

James- We live in Columbus, IN.  Great little town.  I travel for a living and visit Bloomington and Terra Haute once a month.  Work brougth me here.  My wife and are actually from Tupelo, MS.  Are you living in MS now?

2009-01-04 11:53 AM

New user

Spokane, WA

Jill - I came across a video here on BT on strength training at home from Marni.  It seems simple enough and she states it should only take 20 minutes.  I'm going to give it a try.  She also has a few different videos on nutrition.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1058

I got a trainer, my friend's bike, and the excitement to ride while watching a movie.  I dug out my shoes, shorts and a water bottle.  I climbed on ready to go and the rear dérailleur would not shift at all.  I spent several hours trying to fix it referring to a book and videos on YouTube.  Needless to say, I'm taking it to a shop.   I think I'll take a bike maintenance class.  I'm researching bikes and saving my $ to get my own.  This is kind of fun!

Shannon

2009-01-04 1:32 PM

Shannon,

I agree, this is fun!  I have always aspired to complete a triathlon.  I am very competetitive, but I am finding this training a lot of fun and very rewarding.  I know I am still in the honeymoon phase, but so far reading everyone's posts and hearing about other successes has kept me fueled.

Today was going to be a rest day and it pretty much has been, but I did a very very short warm up run of about 6/10 mile, then hit/kicked the heavy bag for 5 rounds, then did 4 sets of 25 reps (crunches, push ups, bodysquats), then finally stretched really well.

I feel very good. 

Have a great week everyone!

2009-01-04 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Aaron-thanks for the push. No bike yet but it's only 2 and it's raining. I am deciding if I want to go to the gym or bundle up and go outside in the rain.

I'm getting some dough going for homemade rolls at my mom's for dinner. My sisters got in town on New Years day and are here until Friday a.m. so after that I can start to get a somewhat (w/husband's limitations) schedule going.

After that then decide about the bike.

Glad we are having fun with out training. My spin instructor says if you don't like something then you need to find something you do like.

I'll take a look at the strength stuff this week.
2009-01-04 3:28 PM

New user
Jill - that's hilarious I accidentally put in 22 hrs, thanks for letting me know, how embarrassing.

Made up with the boyfriend. Get this, he was mad at me because I got my feelings hurt and cried and he thought that was unfair to him. How can he be mad at me when I'm the one who was hurt? I didn't even know he was mad for a day and a half. Men, hpmh! Oh but get this, had him buy me a swim cap to make up

So went swimming today with my new swim cap. It was awesome. No hair flopping in my mouth when I was trying to breathe. Gotta say, I felt like my swim drills were way easier my 2nd time. Felt much less dorky about swim drills, felt really dorky with swim cap. Still felt like I was suffocating when I swam 50m without stopping, caught myself holding my breath, definitely not humming. Minimal water up my nose Oh and I think Ken gave me the tidbit to take a snack, so I had a half a power bar before and half after and I had a yogurt (grabbed one from kid stash of Horizon organic gogurt, ha) Did not feel starving, yippee, have to remember that for sure! Forgot my swim goggles and forgot my water bottle. But the nice guy at the front desk let me borrow some swim goggle from lost and found and I returned them after my workout.

Sorry I can't offer any advice on buying a bike. I'm clueless.

So my official workout schedule doesn't start until Feb 4th but I'm already scared to death to swim and bike or swim and run on the same day, eek.

I am loving that I can eat more then I used to. Definitely added incentive for me to workout.
2009-01-04 3:38 PM

User image

New user

Happy New Year Everyone!! Ok...who wants to suggest a good plan for me I am total novice with this site. Still trying to figure it out.

So what to do for training? My knee scope is in 17 days:s Any suggestions of things I can do to keep my heart rate up without using my legs? I feel like I am turning into a fish, as swimming is the only think I can really do that won't cause my knee to swell up the size of a grapefruit! So frustrating!

You suggestions are gladly accepted! Rebecca

2009-01-04 3:46 PM

User image

New user

Oh and Jill...After 3 years of researching bikes I finally bought this one

http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/bikes/road/21wsd/

I have always been pleased with TREK mountain bikes, the local shoppe spent all day with me trying out 4 different brands, and this one was the one that I felt most comfortable on (and besides its that cool orange color). Now I just need to learn how to ride the darned thing

2009-01-04 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rebecca - Congrats on the new bike. 3 years of research - you sound like me. Trying the 4 different brands was a good idea. Ask anyone and they will tell you that the fit is the most important aspect of the bike.

dbryson13 - Columbus is a neat town. I have ridden my bike there many times. I relocated to Hattiesburg 2 1/2 years ago with some one that was doing their post-doc at IU. She is now on the faculty at USM (Southern Miss).

craftyazgal - Your spin instructor might say if you don't like something then to find something else. In my experience in triathlons, if I don't like something then that is probably where I need to concentrate the most time. I'm not a great (or even good) swimmer but swimming in a lake 3 times a week last summer sure did help. It helped calm my open water fears and develop some endurance. As is often said - you won't win any races with the swim but you sure can lose them.

James
2009-01-04 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
I went and did my bike ride in the rain. Jon-thank your wife. It was drizzling and yucky and I DID NOT want to go out but the other choice was to drive down to the gym and spend 40 minutes out of my day driving. So onto the bike I went. I remembered her saying what if it's yucky on race day.

According to the computer I did:
Time-52:12 min
AVS-10.2 (normally do about 12 but that's when it's nice out)
Distance-8.871 miles

I'll go plug that in my log and then go make the dinner rolls.

Trudee-good more you and BF making up. The swim cap and goggles make all the difference. I forgot both on one day a couple months ago. I only managed 20 minutes that day but at least on got in. Make sure you are always blowing out when your face is in the water otherwise you are trying to breath out and in while your face is out of the water and you can't do that.

Rebecca-hmm, no ideas on training if your knee is not right. I guess swimming it is. Use the time to really perfect that and work on drills.

James-I guess that means I need to work more on my running. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger
2009-01-04 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
I went and did my bike ride in the rain. Jon-thank your wife. It was drizzling and yucky and I DID NOT want to go out but the other choice was to drive down to the gym and spend 40 minutes out of my day driving. So onto the bike I went. I remembered her saying what if it's yucky on race day.

According to the computer I did:
Time-52:12 min
AVS-10.2 (normally do about 12 but that's when it's nice out)
Distance-8.871 miles

I'll go plug that in my log and then go make the dinner rolls.

Trudee-good more you and BF making up. The swim cap and goggles make all the difference. I forgot both on one day a couple months ago. I only managed 20 minutes that day but at least on got in. Make sure you are always blowing out when your face is in the water otherwise you are trying to breath out and in while your face is out of the water and you can't do that.

Rebecca-hmm, no ideas on training if your knee is not right. I guess swimming it is. Use the time to really perfect that and work on drills.

James-I guess that means I need to work more on my running. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger
2009-01-04 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Trudee-I just rode my bike for 52 hours and 12 minutes. I went to do the calculate and knew something wasn't right

2009-01-04 5:30 PM

New user

Spokane, WA

Jill - I can't see myself riding in the rain. WAY TO GO!

Shannon

2009-01-04 11:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Shannon-the hard part was convincing myself to go out the door. Once I was out it was okay. I had a destination in mind and just told myself to ride to there and back. Try it because you might impress yourself. The power of positive thinking.

What does everyone's training schedule look like for this week? I'm following the 20 week olympic plan because what I really want to do is a true Oly race the last weekend in May instead of the Sahuarita Lake. I am struggling with the cost so I'm preparing and the worst that can happen is I'm in good shape and prepared for the Sahuarita Lake race.

So in no particular order because I do have a life so I do what works here are my workouts :
#1 is 40 min swim
#2 is 24 min run
#3 is 80 min bike
#4 is 40 min run
#5 is 24 swim and 48 bike but doesn't have to be a brick
#6 rest day
#7 rest day

I also need to do some strength workouts too. Any suggestions on what activities above I should pair that with?
2009-01-05 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Training for the week - this is a high volume week:

Monday - 1 hr bike
Tuesday - 45 min run / 1 hr swim
Wednesday - 55 min run (30 min TT - will be hard)
Thursday - 45 min bike
Friday - 1 hr bike / 45 min swim
Saturday - 1.25 hr run
Sunday - 4.5 hr bike

This will be a demanding week at work - being off for so long but I am prob going to throw in a few extra swims and do some weight training - this will be easier the first part of the week. I am excited about getting back to the gym - the unversity has been closed for 2 weeks.

James
2009-01-05 8:38 AM

User image

Rochester, New York
Rebecca: The basic /beginner workouts are really pretty good, and reasonable. Not sure though what to do with the knee issues...

Crafty: The strength program listed on BT seems fairly good, I am using the winter maintenance, and it gives me a fairly good workout.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  

of 18