BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-01-21 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1919729

User image

Regular
Middletown
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - OPEN

Thanks.  I did post my profile to the gold member area just the other day.  Amy said to try a winter maintenance program for these first 2 or 3 months and then if all goes well we can evaluate which plan to jump into.  I thought that doing the olympic plan all the way up to my main event was the way to go and for these first few weeks before the plan starts I was just going to get my routine set up for the weeks.  Knowing that you did that and had success I am leaning towards that approach this year.  

Also, just got my forerunner 305 last night.  What have you done to target your heart rate zones?  I have read a couple different approaches.

2009-01-21 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1879927

User image

Master
Charlotte

For the folks looking to lose the weight...I feel I should share the diet I used to help me shed my 35 lbs (along with running). 

I followed the Mens Health 2008 "Belly Off" plan. 

Link to the 2009 plan:  http://www.menshealth.com/bellyoff/index.php

I REALLY hate diets but this one didn't really seam like a "diet" to me.  I still got to enjoy meat/potatoes/beer/etc.  It also kept me energized enough that I could do my workouts w/o being tired.  I still follow the plan for breakfast/snacks/lunch (dinner sometimes strays).

I have kept the weight off for almost a year now so this isn't some yo-yo diet - more like a healthier eating plan.  I will say this is NOT a quick fix program, but a slow gradual shift in your eating habits so it will take time.  That said, I lost 35lbs between Jan and May and have kept it off. 

Take a look at it and see if it is something you might be able to do.

2009-01-21 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1916563

User image

Master
Charlotte
rpittser - 2009-01-19 3:32 PM

Planning to do the following events:

3/7 - Corporate Cup 1/2 Marathon - Charlotte
5/17 - Green Bay 1/2 Marathon or Marathon - Green Bay
8/1 - MS Best Dam Bike Tour - Wisconsin (150 miles in 2 days)
8/29 - Lake Lure Triathlon - Lake Lure, NC
10/4 - Take Flight Marathon - Charlotte, NC

Rick, do you live in Charlotte or Wisconsin? 

I wanted to run the Corporate Cup myself but my wife claimed that spot from me (we have a 2 year old so only one of us can race at a time) so I am doing SouthPark Racefest Half Marathon in April instead.  At the Corporate Cup, I will be that guy running with a kid/baby jogger/camera/street clothes/sandles the last quarter mile to give the wifey encouragment as she finishes!

2009-01-21 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1920483

Charlotte
bgraboski - 2009-01-20 1:54 PM
rpittser - 2009-01-19 3:32 PM

Planning to do the following events:

3/7 - Corporate Cup 1/2 Marathon - Charlotte
5/17 - Green Bay 1/2 Marathon or Marathon - Green Bay
8/1 - MS Best Dam Bike Tour - Wisconsin (150 miles in 2 days)
8/29 - Lake Lure Triathlon - Lake Lure, NC
10/4 - Take Flight Marathon - Charlotte, NC

Rick, do you live in Charlotte or Wisconsin? 

I wanted to run the Corporate Cup myself but my wife claimed that spot from me (we have a 2 year old so only one of us can race at a time) so I am doing SouthPark Racefest Half Marathon in April instead.  At the Corporate Cup, I will be that guy running with a kid/baby jogger/camera/street clothes/sandles the last quarter mile to give the wifey encouragment as she finishes!

Sorry about the confusion - I do live in Charlotte. I'm originally from Wisconsin and end up doing a few events up there each year.  I haven't done 13.1 since the full Thunder Road in Dec 06, and I'm looking forward to a longer distance race.  There are 4 or 5 in my running group that are planning on doing it too.  I've committed to running the full distance with one of my partners that has never done such a long race, so time doesn't matter.  I just want to get her through it and have a good time, however maybe I'll watch for you and see if you can do that same 1/4 mile dash for me! 

What part of town do you live and train in?

2009-01-21 3:06 PM

Valdosta, GA

NAME: Britt

CITY:  Valdosta GA

FAMILY:  Married, 2 year old daughter

STORY: I got into triathlon last fall as a challenge to myself and a couple of buddies who had competed in 3-4 last year.....  I was badly out of shape, but trained for 6 weeks (that was all the time I had to do that one with my buddies) and completed my first sprint at the end of October...  Always been very athletic with sports, but about 4 years ago.. kinda life just took over and staying in shape and being active ceased to be a top priority.. and we all knows what that means..  I am carrying around about 25 more pounds than I was 5 years ago....   Last fall, I made a deal with myself not to let myself get out of shape again, and NOT to gain anymore weight!  So I decided to challenge myself with a Sprint Triathlon.  I fell in love with the sport and look forward to my first season, mostly at the sprint distance and probably an Olympic by end of the year.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am using the 26 week 6 race Intermediate Sprint plan from BT.  I start it on Monday Jan. 26, 2009.  Currently have done fairly well in offseason to maintain decent shape, although I tried to increase running distance way to quickly and went through all the typical injuries associated with that.. but now I am fairly healthy... back in the pool and lifting as well to go with bike and running again..

THIS YEAR'S RACES (some tentative):

• 4/19   Marineland Sprint #1 St. Augustine (my A race)
  • 5/16   Jekyll Sprint or Olympic  Jekyll Island
  • 6/21   Marineland Sprint/Olympic #2 St. Augustine
  • 7/25   Nature Coast Twilight, Crystal River, FL (my A Race)
  • 9/5     Crystal River Sprint #3 Crystal River, FL
  • 10/3   AmeliaMan Olympic  Amelia Island, FL
  • 11/1   GACT Invervess, FL

WEIGHTLOSS: Built like a Linebacker now  BUT played QB in football, and point gaurd in basketball... so you know what has happened!  Anyway, my perfect lean weight for me would be about 175-180 since I have broad athletic frame.  I am about 205 now and have been this weight for a couple of years (actually got bigger when my wife was pregnant.. all the late night snacking that she did... well I ate everytime she did as well..)  Honestly though if I could get down to 185 or so again I would be very happy and would be MUCH faster at swim, bike, run...

Other notes:  I do have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer.. but find it so hard to stay on for more than 15-20 minutes....  I have started spinning at least 5-10 minutes or more before every run though to warm up legs.  This has helped a bit with the hammy tightness, and calf problems I have been having ... I enjoy all 3 sports, and do not dread any of them.... Running is my worst (yet probably my favorite b/c I want to get better), Biking is next (although I get rather bored on long training rides) ..  and I just haven't biked enough to sustain speed.  Swim at the sprint distance, I actually feel like I am middle of the pack or better, but self taught and surely I have terrible form.

2009-01-21 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1920781

Charlotte

Can anyone with some experience tell me at what point do feel comfortable knowing you can make the swim?  Like I said in my profile, I'm not (yet) a swimmer.  I am lucky to swim 1 25 yard lap of the pool and then I have to rest.  It's a challenge and I have every intention of getting past my current issues, but having never even been to a triathlon to watch I don't know how the lower end swimmers are.  Is it common for people to stop and rest from time to time?  Even if the short 250-500M distances?  

2009-01-21 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1919758

User image

Master
chris1214 - 2009-01-21 9:28 AM

Also, just got my forerunner 305 last night.  What have you done to target your heart rate zones?  I have read a couple different approaches.

Follow this protocol: http://www.d3multisport.com/blog/index.php/220-age-misconceptions-and-determining-y-1

2009-01-21 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1919783

User image

Master
bgraboski - 2009-01-21 9:41 AM

For the folks looking to lose the weight...I feel I should share the diet I used to help me shed my 35 lbs (along with running). 

I followed the Mens Health 2008 "Belly Off" plan. 

Link to the 2009 plan:  http://www.menshealth.com/bellyoff/index.php

I REALLY hate diets but this one didn't really seam like a "diet" to me.  I still got to enjoy meat/potatoes/beer/etc.  It also kept me energized enough that I could do my workouts w/o being tired.  I still follow the plan for breakfast/snacks/lunch (dinner sometimes strays).

I have kept the weight off for almost a year now so this isn't some yo-yo diet - more like a healthier eating plan.  I will say this is NOT a quick fix program, but a slow gradual shift in your eating habits so it will take time.  That said, I lost 35lbs between Jan and May and have kept it off. 

Take a look at it and see if it is something you might be able to do.

Wow.  Congrats on that weight loss.
2009-01-21 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1920806

User image

Master
rpittser - 2009-01-21 4:18 PM

Can anyone with some experience tell me at what point do feel comfortable knowing you can make the swim?  Like I said in my profile, I'm not (yet) a swimmer.  I am lucky to swim 1 25 yard lap of the pool and then I have to rest.  It's a challenge and I have every intention of getting past my current issues, but having never even been to a triathlon to watch I don't know how the lower end swimmers are.  Is it common for people to stop and rest from time to time?  Even if the short 250-500M distances?  

I have a friend that during her first year in triathlon, she panicked in many of her swims and had to ask for help. She made it through every swim to go on and complete the tri but she did hang on to a cannoe/kayak in order to rest and settle down.

Swimming is more technique than anything else.  I recommend starting just doing sets of 25 repeats until you get up to over 500 for the total workouts.  Great workouts to start with are listed here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=755

Once you get up over 500 total distance, then you can start putting in some 50s and maybe one 100.  Once you get to that point, a good program to do is: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

Once you can swim 1 mile straight, you can pretty much swim ANY distance.

Another thought would be to pick your first triathlon based on this limiter.  My first triathlon was a lake swim that went along the shore.  At any time you could swim in and stand up if you felt the need to rest.  

Finally, if you can, find a friend with a canoe/kayak and do some open water swims.  

Always remember that you can breast stroke to keep moving forward.  In fact, I am a strong swimmer and I breast stroke at least a small part of every tri swim (to sight or just make a bouy turn easier). I will also throw in a backstroke if I want to check out something behind me.

Hope this helps.

2009-01-21 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1920781

User image

Master
Britt, that looks like a great bio.  AmeliaMan looks to be a great race and I might add it to my schedule as a last minute deal just to take my wife there on vacation.  One other thing: it's always the wife's fault when the husband gains weight.  Just don't tell mine that I said that.  LOL
2009-01-21 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1921059

Charlotte
jonathan22 - 2009-01-20 5:55 PM
rpittser - 2009-01-21 4:18 PM

I have a friend that during her first year in triathlon, she panicked in many of her swims and had to ask for help. She made it through every swim to go on and complete the tri but she did hang on to a cannoe/kayak in order to rest and settle down.

Swimming is more technique than anything else.  I recommend starting just doing sets of 25 repeats until you get up to over 500 for the total workouts.  Great workouts to start with are listed here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=755

Once you get up over 500 total distance, then you can start putting in some 50s and maybe one 100.  Once you get to that point, a good program to do is: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

Once you can swim 1 mile straight, you can pretty much swim ANY distance.

Another thought would be to pick your first triathlon based on this limiter.  My first triathlon was a lake swim that went along the shore.  At any time you could swim in and stand up if you felt the need to rest.  

Finally, if you can, find a friend with a canoe/kayak and do some open water swims.  

Always remember that you can breast stroke to keep moving forward.  In fact, I am a strong swimmer and I breast stroke at least a small part of every tri swim (to sight or just make a bouy turn easier). I will also throw in a backstroke if I want to check out something behind me.

Hope this helps.

Definitely helps.  I can breast stroke pretty well, so I know I can fall back to that if I need to.  I'll look at the links you sent.  

2009-01-21 5:52 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown
Hey all... Quick question again.  I know it is highly advised to not wear the forerunner 305 in the water.  So how does everyone accurately time your lap times? Did you purchase a cheap water proof watch just for swimming or something else?  Thanks in advance
2009-01-21 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1921159

Valdosta, GA

chris1214 - 2009-01-21 6:52 PM Hey all... Quick question again.  I know it is highly advised to not wear the forerunner 305 in the water.  So how does everyone accurately time your lap times? Did you purchase a cheap water proof watch just for swimming or something else?  Thanks in advance

I have a Garmin 405... but of course don't swim in it either..  I use a 150 lap Timex Triathlon Ironman in the water/pool for lap timing...  never had an problems pushing lap buttons in the water on the turns even under water..  (technically you are not supposed to operated them while submerged.)... what the heck if it dies, I will get another..

Edited by Crue4 2009-01-21 7:43 PM
2009-01-21 9:38 PM

User image

Austin, Tx

Hi Jonathan,

I would also like to join your group if I may!

My background:  I have been an avid runner since 2000 and a mountain biker too. I spent the last three years trying to get pregnant and after three pregnancies, a couple hard life lessons (and not alot of running) we had our first child last May.

I gained a new respect for what my body did carrying and giving birth to my baby and couldn't wait to get back to running. I had only gained 33 lbs thankfully.  I started getting back into 5ks and 10ks last fall. I am 35 years old and have lost all the baby weight since running again PLUS another 14 lbs. Loved that part!

I live in Austin and plan on joining a swim training group here (specifically for Tris) in March. I have been biking and running since Nov. (and mostly training on the road on my mountain bike, til I finally got my road bike! That was like training w/ WEIGHTS on! ugh).

My race schedule starts this weekend! :

1/25/09 Frost yer Fanny Duathlon  (here in my hometown) (sprint  2m/10.5m/2m)

2/15/09 Austin Marathon (doing the half, this will be my 2nd half marathon)

5/25/09 Cap Tex Tri (want to train for Olympic)

That's all I have on the calendar for now. 

I am so excited for multisport training and hope you can help and look forward to your mentoring.

Holly

2009-01-21 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1920806

rpittser,

Another thing to remember is that if you are doing an open water swim, more than likely you'll be wearing a wetsuit. Wetsuits are very buoyant, so if and when you get tired, simply rotate you body vertically at vois la you are floating. 

2009-01-22 4:00 AM
in reply to: #1921578

User image

Master

Welcome Holly.  I believe you recieve the honer of being our first female into the group. No worries as my last mentor group as the woman vastly outnumbered the guys.

Since you live in Austin, 2 of my favorite pros are training there now: Amanda and Michael Lovato.  http://www.amandalovato.blogspot.com/

2009-01-22 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1920507

User image

Master
Charlotte
rpittser - 2009-01-21 2:05 PM

Sorry about the confusion - I do live in Charlotte. I'm originally from Wisconsin and end up doing a few events up there each year.  I haven't done 13.1 since the full Thunder Road in Dec 06, and I'm looking forward to a longer distance race.  There are 4 or 5 in my running group that are planning on doing it too.  I've committed to running the full distance with one of my partners that has never done such a long race, so time doesn't matter.  I just want to get her through it and have a good time, however maybe I'll watch for you and see if you can do that same 1/4 mile dash for me! 

What part of town do you live and train in?

I live and train in South Charlotte (more specifically the Quail Hallow area if you are fimiliar with that area).  I do my swimming at the Harris Y and do my lifting at the Harris Express Y in SouthPark.  I do all of my run speed training on the McMullen greenway (which is great because it is flat and marked every 1/4 mile...perfect for speedwork).  Rest of my runs are mostly in the Southpark/Quail Hallow area.  I really just started biking so my routes are limited but what I have done is steal some of the Mojo Riding team rides.  I am not part of their group but I used to pass them when I was running every weekend and they start/stop a couple of miles from my house.  You can check out their website: http://mojoriding.org/index_files/RideSchedule.htm for routes starting in South Charlotte.

How about you?

2009-01-22 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1921922

Charlotte
bgraboski - 2009-01-21 8:16 AM

I live and train in South Charlotte (more specifically the Quail Hallow area if you are fimiliar with that area).  I do my swimming at the Harris Y and do my lifting at the Harris Express Y in SouthPark.  I do all of my run speed training on the McMullen greenway (which is great because it is flat and marked every 1/4 mile...perfect for speedwork).  Rest of my runs are mostly in the Southpark/Quail Hallow area.  I really just started biking so my routes are limited but what I have done is steal some of the Mojo Riding team rides.  I am not part of their group but I used to pass them when I was running every weekend and they start/stop a couple of miles from my house.  You can check out their website: http://mojoriding.org/index_files/RideSchedule.htm for routes starting in South Charlotte.

How about you?

I actually live in Huntersville, lift and do my swimming at the Huntersville Aquatic Center.  Most of my running is done on the Mallard Creek Greenway (also flat and marked) and surrounding areas which is near the University Y (I am not a member but have friends that are).  Biking - like you haven't ridden much, so not sure about routes yet, but I'll find something.  I will check out the link you gave.

Maybe we can hook up at some local races.

2009-01-22 6:05 PM

Hey, Jonathan!  It seems there are already a lot of people in your group...can I come join too?  I've done three sprint tris...one of them as the bike leg of a relay because I was injured.  I want to do more, and I want to do longer ones.  I feel like I'm shooting in the dark right now with my training, so I need direction!  

Background...I teach a rather hard core spin class three mornings a week, but I much more prefer my road bike to a spin bike!  I'm improving in swim both in time and technique.  I really don't like to run, but I work at it because I want to be faster!  I'm married, have 4 kids (hence the 4 kids gbgb-girl boy girl boy!), and I homeschool.  So I tri because I need a break!  

I'm in SC and have planned the following races, but, again, shooting in the dark...

Greenwood YMCA sprint ....April 18

Clemson sprint...May 16

Fest. of Flowers Olympic (also in Greenwood)...June 7

SC 1/2 IM(also in Greenwood)....Oct. 4 

Edited by 4kidsgbgb 2009-01-22 6:12 PM
2009-01-22 8:11 PM

User image

Austin, Tx

Awesome! I am honored to be the only chick in the group

Thanks for the blog link too. Already checked it out.  Thanks!

2009-01-23 7:10 AM

New user

jonathan, i know you mentioned sometime waaay back in the thread, but i can't find it. you said you roughly do 45min - 1hr in the mornings and make sure your weekend workouts are long. i want to make sure my weekly hours are corrected and i'm building and peaking correctly. so my question is: is there any rules of thumb or general guidelines to follow for weekly volume. is there a certain percentage of your a or b race that you should be doing x weeks before the event? etc., etc. anything you can share would be helpful. i'm especially concerned about the 1/2 im at the end of my year, and want to make sure i'm building correctly.

i almost posted my entire years plan with weekly hours, but it would have been rediculous...

thanks

2009-01-23 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1923582

User image

Master

4kidsgbgb,

Absolutly you can join the group.  What is your real life first name?  

2009-01-23 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1924293

User image

Master

cbryant148 - 2009-01-23 8:10 AM jonathan, i know you mentioned sometime waaay back in the thread, but i can't find it. you said you roughly do 45min - 1hr in the mornings and make sure your weekend workouts are long. i want to make sure my weekly hours are corrected and i'm building and peaking correctly. so my question is: is there any rules of thumb or general guidelines to follow for weekly volume. is there a certain percentage of your a or b race that you should be doing x weeks before the event? etc., etc. anything you can share would be helpful. i'm especially concerned about the 1/2 im at the end of my year, and want to make sure i'm building correctly. i almost posted my entire years plan with weekly hours, but it would have been rediculous... thanks

Assuming that you want to do an Olympic race, you want your peak workouts about a week or two (depending on how fit you are, background in endurance sports, etc) before the race.  For an Oly, I would get my swim to 2500 yards, my bike close to 40 miles and my run to 8.  Since it's an Oly, overtraining the long distances won't set you back.  If on the other hand, you where doing IM, there are only so many 20 milers you can do before your body says "enough"; in an IM, you generally undertrain your long distance days to the race distances.

The other trick is where are you at right now with your long bikes/runs and how quickly can you get to those pre-race distances.  I would add about 5 miles per week to my long bike, 250 yards per week to my long swim and 2-3 miles per week to my long run from where you are currently at to get up to these long distances.  Also remember, 3 weeks forward and 1 week back (take a reduced week every 4th week). 

The third point I will add is that the conventional wisdom is 10%-20% of your volume should be swim, 50% of your volume should be bike and 40% to 30% should be run.  I think you can shift those around up to 10% without being too off in order to address your limiters (e.g.if you are a strong runner and have just started swimming).

I just read that you said HIM distance.  In that case, for my first IM, I would get my swim up to 3000 yards, my bike up to 60 miles and my run up to 10 miles.  I would hit these distances 2 weeks before race day (and my bike on that day would also be followed by a 6 mile run to make my final brick).  Then I would do 2 weeks of taper.  Your weekend work might look something like this for the 6 weeks going into your HIM (bike would be Sat and long run would be Sunday):

1 week prior: 30 mile ride w/ 3 mile run; 8 mile long run
2 weeks prior: 60 mile ride w/ 6 mile run; 10 mile long run
3 weeks prior: 60 mile ride w/ 4 mile run; 10 mile long run
4 weeks prior: 60 mile ride w/ 3 mile run; 10 mile long run
5 weeks prior: 30 mile ride w/ 3 mile run; 6 mile long run
6 weeks prior: 60 mile ride w/ 3 mile run; 10 mile long run

Of course, I am not a coach and I would encourage anyone doing a HIM to invest in a training plan (free one here: http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon-training/Half-Ironman-Training.php. )

2009-01-23 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Since we have had a few new folks join the group, I thought I would send out a few reminders:

1. If you are not using the BT logs, I encourage that.  It's great for motivation as well as being able to look back at your own training.
2. If you are not using a training plan, I encourage that.  It's easier.  If you need help picking a BT plan or are confused, please ask.
3. If you have not signed up for a race, I strongly encourage that.  I have found that putting money on the line motivates me like nothing else.

Everyone have a great weekend and get some great training in.  
2009-01-23 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1925400

New user

perfect. thanks. i also looked at BTs plan and found i was good on weekly hours as well:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/halfim/preparing_...

finally good weather here in bham, so i'm going for a loooong ride in the a.m. ya'll have a great weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15