BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-01-14 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1906604

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL
peanut1981 - 2009-01-14 8:28 AM

I see you mention massage. I'm wondering when is the best time to go. before or after a race? Do you workout the same day you get a massage? .......I"m aslo very curious about accupucture. How often do you go and does it hurt?

Massage: some say pre-race massage 1-2 days prior to race just to fine-tine everything  and then depending on race intensity 1-2 days, a massage 1-2days post-race.  I also find that after intense training weeks (every 3rd week of a 16-20wk program) my body usually needs one.  Great way to present injuries...especially for the aging ones out there!

Accupuncture: there are very many different practices/theories/types.....so different practioners are different.  But most treatments last 10-30 minuts (with the needles in you) and treatment of a particular ailement can take 1-many office visits.  Does it hurt--no, just a .  And I am extremly sensitive on my achilles and I have it done there no problem.  I've had treament on back, achilles, hip, lower back, foot, shoulder, and that might be it.

Ok- back to work. Lunch is over 

2009-01-14 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1884714

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Tri shorts...well I guess they have "padding".  It is really just a bit of chamois cloth down there.  But believe me, it is not really padding

Tami- I hoped you rocked the LT test!  If i had brought my HR monitor to the gym today, my self assigned ladder workout on the treamill could have served as one!  Seriously, I think it will be Valentines day when I do my LT test--2 weeks post Half marathon.

Biggest loser----so I made myself run at the 7.0 (which is an 8:30 pace) for 5 minutes.  It was not soo bad.  Yes, I was looking at the counter, but I probably could have pushed it longer......if I knew it was the end, or near the end, of my workout.  But with another 20 minutes on the dreadmill, I backed off.  

Who else tried the 7.0?  How long did you last?

2009-01-14 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1908516

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

Thanks for the info on the massage and acupuncture. I will need to use my money wisely and see which help more.

I will be trying the 7.0 run on friday. Tomorrow is only yoga. 

2009-01-14 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I have been doing 7.0 in my speed interval workout but I am only there for 1 minute. I would do that 5 times. Then repeat at 7.5 but normally I only last 30 sec - 1 minute.

If I had to hold at 7min I would never last.

So tonight I ran outside despite my brain telling me that I was crazy. Here is what I figured out about running in very cold weather (-13C, but -19C with windchill)

1- I bought double layer cold weather socks before my run today. WOW do they work. I am the type of person that is always cold and I lose circulation in my extremities (feet espcially very easily). I can't believe I am saying this but my feet were the warmest part of my body during the run. It felt like I had a heater in my shoe. In previous weeks when it was about 10 -15 degrees warmer out, there would always be about 10 minutes where there would be a part of my foot with no circulation. Not today. Inititally I didn't want to spend $15 on socks, but I am converted and highly recommend them.

2- I need to put a base layer underneath my pants. Although my pants are meant for warm weather, I needed another layer on my legs. Once I got back inside my legs started to burn, and were red. It almost looked like a sunburn when I was in the shower.

3- I think my HR monitor doesn't work too well in very cold weather as I don't sweat enough for it to take a reading. So much for getting an avg hr today for my workout.

But I did it and it wasn't that bad out. It didn't even feel that cold out. Just a slight chill. I am very proud of myself. Hopefully next week will be warmer.
2009-01-14 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1908616

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

mellymedic - 2009-01-14 9:20 PM I have been doing 7.0 in my speed interval workout but I am only there for 1 minute. I would do that 5 times. Then repeat at 7.5 but normally I only last 30 sec - 1 minute. If I had to hold at 7min I would never last.

SO DOES THIS MEAN A 7min/mi pace or 7 on the tmill?

1- I bought double layer cold weather socks before my run today. .....

Never heard of double layer cold weather socks...please advise. send picture

2009-01-14 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1908545

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
peanut1981 - 2009-01-14 8:34 PM

Thanks for the info on the massage and acupuncture. I will need to use my money wisely and see which help more.

I will be trying the 7.0 run on friday. Tomorrow is only yoga. 

Let us know how long you can hold the 7.0 for!  Have fun at yoga tomorrow!

2009-01-14 9:29 PM
in reply to: #1908622

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
LB22 - 2009-01-14 10:24 PM

mellymedic - 2009-01-14 9:20 PM I have been doing 7.0 in my speed interval workout but I am only there for 1 minute. I would do that 5 times. Then repeat at 7.5 but normally I only last 30 sec - 1 minute. If I had to hold at 7min I would never last.

SO DOES THIS MEAN A 7min/mi pace or 7 on the tmill?

I mean 7 on the treadmill. No way am I near a 7min/mile.

1- I bought double layer cold weather socks before my run today. .....

Never heard of double layer cold weather socks...please advise. send picture:)

I'll look up the socks online. I got them at my local running store.

These are the socks I bought: http://www.wrightsock.com/cold.html
The site will allow you to search for retailers near you or for online dealers.

here is a description from one of the retailers:
http://www.sockgeek.com/p-250-wrightsock-cold-running-crew.aspx

Same design as Wrightsock's Double Layer Anti-Blister run sock except they substitute insulating ThermaStat® in place of Dri-Wright™. ThermaStat® is a hollow core polyester designed to trap air inside the fiber as an insulator to the outside cold elements. Moisture management is another key element of ThermaStat®, coupled with the Wrightsock Double Layer System ensures blister free performance in the coldest temperatures. Flat knit (non cushion) midweight sock design. Less bulk doesn't compromise shoe fit. Features a great combination of insulation, moisture management and friction-free control.

Edited by mellymedic 2009-01-14 9:39 PM
2009-01-15 6:55 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

Thanks for the tip on the socks. I wonder if they would work for skiing or really everyday on my walk to and from the bus. My feet are currenly still thawing. wind chill is -29.

Nice work on the run! That is WAY too cold for me. How long were you out? I was just cold after like 10 minutes, especially my feet.

2009-01-15 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
The run I did yesterday wasn't for lactate threshold testing - just a threshold run.....4 minutes at threshold pace, 6 minutes easy pace repeat 3 times....ugh. I held 7:53 - 8:00 pace for each of the 4' segments - but it feels so much more painful on the treadmill!

I'm doing my cycling lactate threshold testing on Sunday (now this is PAINFUL)! I will test again in about 6-8 weeks to see how I've improved and to reset my heart rate zones. So yes - re-testing is important.

It's so freakin' cold!!!!!!
2009-01-15 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1908966

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
peanut1981 - 2009-01-15 7:55 AM

Thanks for the tip on the socks. I wonder if they would work for skiing or really everyday on my walk to and from the bus. My feet are currently still thawing. wind chill is -29.

Nice work on the run! That is WAY too cold for me. How long were you out? I was just cold after like 10 minutes, especially my feet.

There is no reason why these socks wouldn't work for skiing or anything else. They are not made specifically for running. They have all types of styles for different weather.

My actual run was about 54 minutes according to my friends watch. I was out just under an hour.

The run I did yesterday wasn't for lactate threshold testing - just a threshold run.....4 minutes at threshold pace, 6 minutes easy pace repeat 3 times....ugh. I held 7:53 - 8:00 pace for each of the 4' segments - but it feels so much more painful on the treadmill!

How do you figure out what your threshold pace should be? Do you just put it as fast as you can go and hold for 4 minutes?

Edited by mellymedic 2009-01-15 8:53 AM
2009-01-15 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Ladies- I feel like crap today.  I did not sleep well and it is frickin freezing here today!  I feel like I may come down with a full blown cold.  I am going to try to flush it out today. 

I am also undecided about my workout today.  I deviated from the plan, and did the tempo/ladder run yesterday for 45 minutes.  Should I do a long slow 1 hour today (followed by 2 hour on Saturday as my last long run before I taper for the half marathon on Feb 2), or should I just do a 30 minute run and maybe a 30 minute bike today? 

Maybe I wait to see what the treadmill feels like. 

Maybe I don't taper for the half marathon given that I am not "racing " it .

2009-01-15 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love

Hey ladies!

Lynn--I just got over a nasty  cold-- i tried to stick to my workouts but it ended up being worse for my body i think.  Considering that you don't feel good, i'd go with a less intense workout (easy 30 run easy 30 bike) and skip the 1 hour run especially if you are running  long saturday anyway (hopefully you'll be feeling better too!).

Question: since we were on the topic of socks, anyone have opinions or tried the 'double layer' socks for preventing blistering (saw it mentioned above)?  thought about getting some to try out...i have horrid blisters after runs of longer than 12 miles....

2009-01-15 11:24 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI
Just my opinion, but I think it is a good idea to taper at least a little. Maybe not as much as normal, but dont increase your training either. Also, if you feel like you are coming down with something, I would probably say 30 min run and 30 min bike. Then go home rest and drink some OJ. Stressing your body will certainly make you sick. Hows the achilles feeling?
2009-01-15 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1909661

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
the socks I tried that kept my feet warm are also anti-blistering.

I have not had blister issues in the past from running. The worst I have had was when I would wear the wrong sock and the front toe part would start rubbing my toes and cut me. That would be painful while I was still running.
2009-01-15 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1909661

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
hannawho - 2009-01-15 11:19 AM

on the topic of socks, anyone have opinions or tried the 'double layer' socks for preventing blistering (saw it mentioned above)?  thought about getting some to try out...i have horrid blisters after runs of longer than 12 miles....

Blisters are my feet!  I was trying to find the picture of my toe after the marathon to post, lucky for you all, I could not!  I have tried shoes, socks, body glide, gels, toe caps, etc....nothing really works.  (toe caps help top of toes, but not the side of big toes).  My sports med doctor showed me how my big toe on both feet lean to far inwards,  He said a lot of stretches on the resistance band and I might be able to reverse it.  But basically, I just need to suck it up and deal with the blisters.....you do not want to see my feet during tri season!

I tried thick, thin, double-layer, even no socks.  Nothing works (well actually, if I run less than 6 miles...with socks I get blisters, without socks no blisters).

I know that does not help you, but just thought if you still get blisters after trying tons of socks...you are not the only one out there

2009-01-15 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1909685

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

peanut1981 - 2009-01-15 11:24 AM Just my opinion, but I think it is a good idea to taper at least a little. Maybe not as much as normal, but dont increase your training either. Also, if you feel like you are coming down with something, I would probably say 30 min run and 30 min bike. Then go home rest and drink some OJ. Stressing your body will certainly make you sick. Hows the achilles feeling?

Thanks....I think it is just the really cold weather (below 20 windchill), bad night sleep, and pms.  I was mentally challenged, but got 30 mins in on the dreadmill.  Now, I am off to an open house for a triathlon training group that just opened a fitness center.  Perhaps I will sign up for their swimming lessons.....

Report in...how did your workouts go?

2009-01-15 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
When I'm sick or feel like I'm getting sick, I back off....either go light or skip it all together. Your body is trying to tell you something....and you know what? Skipping a few workouts won't blow the season, but not letting your body recover, could delay things for you (granted, we are so early now, that we will all be ok).

Socks!

I LOVE THE WRIGHT SOCKS! Double layer. It's the only kind I wear.
2009-01-15 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Thursdays are always tough for me to try and get a workout in as I volunteer as a medic with St John Ambulance and we have a meeting every thursday night.

I have a 2 hour gap between work and my meeting, where if I leave work right away I can get a 45 minute workout in.

I did manage to make a 5:30 spin class.

Now I just need to decide what I want to do tomorrow. Take an off day or go for a swim. All I know is that my legs will probably not want to work too hard tomorrow.
2009-01-16 6:30 AM

User image

Veteran
For now....Friday's are my day off. For this week I was considering switching my Saturday workouts to Friday and then have Saturday off, but after yesterdays intense swim and bike workouts, I'm tiiiirrreeeedddddd.

IT'S SO COLD!!!!!!!
2009-01-16 6:42 AM
in reply to: #1910834

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love

Wow Lynn--I don't feel so bad now after hearing your blister story!! I've had the black toenails, but never blisters until last year.  Perhaps I'll get a pair of Wright socks and just seeing how they are for me--everyone is different i guess right?   Hope you are feeling a bit better tooLaughing

Thanks for the info guys and happy friday everyone!

2009-01-16 7:40 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

Morning all! Another day in the Artic. I have resorted to wearing my ski pants to work. If they have to cancel school because its too cold, I can look like a fool and wear my ski pants to work.

So far I haven't had problems with blisters. I did the Breast Cancer 3-day a little over a year ago (60 miles in 3-days, walking) and didn't have any problems so I'm staying optimistic. I have been getting calluses on the outside of big toes that hurt. Anyone have issues with calluses? What do you do for them?

I'm pumping myself up for my 7.0 MPH run today. I'm hoping to make several 1 minute intervals.

2009-01-16 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Way to go peanut!  Let us know how many 7mph intervals you do!  I bought a Ped-a-Egg last year and it helps tremendously with the calausses.  Although I almost wonder if I am better off just letting some level of calus to stay.

Burr--I thought it was suppose to be warmer today! NOT! I just threw on my silk long-underwear and another layer.  Burr Burr Burr.

Do I really have to go to work?

2009-01-16 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I think I finally found my threshold for running outdoors. When I was cleaning off my car this morning, I was thinking this is too cold to be running outside. It is only -17C with a windchill of -28C. Good to know I haven't gone completely insane with outdoor running.

Jenny good luck with the run today. I know you will kill it at 7mph.
2009-01-16 5:39 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

So I just had a 30 min run for today. I ran the whole thing at a higher speed than usual and 7 non-consecutive minutes at 7.0. It felt pretty good!

I hope everyone had a good day of training, or a good day off! Time to hit the pool tomorrow. Haven't been there in 6 months...

2009-01-16 5:47 PM

New user

Hi everyone!  Hope you all had a wonderful day.  Today is my day off, too.  I'm also taking tomorrow off in preparation for my half marathon on Sunday (Rock and Roll Phoenix).  I leave early tomorrow for Phoenix and fly back Monday.

You all have a wonderful weekend.  I'll try to send some warm weather vibes your way--it's a pleasant 68 degrees here today, which is about 15-20 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year! 

Edited by mtemple 2009-01-16 5:48 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14