Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-04-15 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2086234

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Evondo's group - CLOSED
Interesting read, do you have a link to the article? I've never heard of the heart risks and I agree that performance is better in the PM which is why I have all my lower intensity workouts in the AM and speed/tempo in the PM. 

Just to play devil's advocate, the training rule of specificity says train as you race.  If someone gets accustom to training only in the PM I'm pretty sure peak performance won't be reached at the AM triathlon

westerem - 2009-04-15 12:13 PM

Any thoughts on this (see highlighted) - I pulled it off the internet

Last night, I watched, "The Human Timepiece," on the Science channel. It was a cool show that explored the internal time regulatory mechanisms of the human body and how the human body functions throughout the day. It stepped through the day in 2-3 hour increments talking about why we are tired or alert and how this directly affects both cognitive and physical performance. The internal body clock is a very powerful thing and they are, in fact, finding that it can be exploited to help fight diseases such as Cancer - like I said, very cool stuff.

One of the topics they discussed was physical fitness and specifically, what time of the day was most appropriate for working out. What they recommend is working out in the late afternoon / evening. Not only do they recommend this, they actual discourage the idea of working out in the morning. Apparently, in the morning there are several factors that put you at a greater risk for heart attack and stroke:

• In the morning, your blood pressure takes a significant jump and stays higher before decreasing towards mid day.
  • In the morning, your blood has a higher "stickiness."
  • In the morning, your blood vessels and arteries are less flexible.

These factors combine to raise the risk of heart attack and stroke. Statistically speaking, they said you are about 10 times more likely to have a heart attack before 12PM.

In contrast to the negative risk factors associated with morning workouts, working out in the afternoon / evening generally results in greater performance. In fact, when you look at Olympic events, most world records are beat in the evening.

Obviously, with busy lives, sometimes you just have to fit it in where you can; but, given the choice, all the scientific evidence seems to indicate that working out in the late afternoon / evening is the best choice both for your general health and your sport-specific performance.

2009-04-15 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2069624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
In terms of when to train my spin class instructor (also a Triathlete) mentioned that your HR would naturally be a little lower in the morning and it would take you longer to get going. For me I used to work out in the mornings but a longish commute has put paid to that and for me it's much more important to fit it in when I can.

That said if I travel I use the 'lie in' time to workout in the am.
2009-04-16 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've been using the 'silver' plans here on BT since the fall. I really like the extra detail the $$$ plans provide - especially the swim sessions. In the pool - if I do not have a plan in place then they tend not to be very valuable.

James
2009-04-16 9:44 AM

User image

Hermosa Beach

I know I can come up w/ some sort of plan -- I have enough old plans, books (including the training bible) etc but it's the keeping to it.....I'm one of those that DOES benefit from having the accountability of a coach.  Which is pretty silly considering I fully recognize that, you'd think if I realize that then I should be able to just transfer that accountability to myself.....I'm hoping just being accountable to you guys will fill that role to some extent!

2009-04-16 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2088553

User image

Master
Houston
There's definitely something to be said about being held accountable and it's hard to do with just yourself sometimes.  Thankfully my fiance keeps me in check when I feel like slacking, here's a conversation we had a few months back that I posted in my old group thread...

evondo - 2009-02-17 4:12 PM

So I just got home from work and really don't feel like biking on the trainer (it's raining). Here's the conversation I just had with my gf online...

me: i knew i should have biked yesterday, im having motivational issues today
dont think i can stand getting on the trainer now

Betsy: is it raining there?

me: ya its nasty out

Betsy: well...i was planning on getting us a pizza from bibas but you're not allowed to have any til you bike

me: no holding pizza hostage!

Betsy: you wanted motivation...didn't you?
how are you going to make worlds if you don't bike?  i bet your competition is biking right now

me: haha damn it you win
i'll get my lazy butt on the trainer

Off to the trainer I go...

I'll be watching your logs almost daily and so will the group so think of that before blowing off a workout

stephcat - 2009-04-16 9:44 AM

I know I can come up w/ some sort of plan -- I have enough old plans, books (including the training bible) etc but it's the keeping to it.....I'm one of those that DOES benefit from having the accountability of a coach.  Which is pretty silly considering I fully recognize that, you'd think if I realize that then I should be able to just transfer that accountability to myself.....I'm hoping just being accountable to you guys will fill that role to some extent!

2009-04-16 1:38 PM

User image

Hermosa Beach

thanks!  I did run this a.m., just haven't logged it yet.

yeah, I agree though, no fair holding pizza hostage

2009-04-16 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
I have been using a coach and I face accountability on two fronts. Since we pay for it my husband is of the mindset i have to do what I am told (by my coach). So, if he says ride x miles - I have to go ride x miles. I am accountable to my coach b/c he watches the quality of my workouts and to my husband b/c he wants to make sure I am not wasting money by paying for something I don't use. It works for me.
2009-04-16 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Regarding the a.m. workouts -- It may be contrary to science but those workouts get me charged for the day.
2009-04-16 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2090125

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
swise - 2009-04-16 8:21 PM Regarding the a.m. workouts -- It may be contrary to science but those workouts get me charged for the day.

I'm with you Sandy.  I'm a morning person and I also find that often things get in the way if I delay the workout.  Sometimes the excuses are bad and sometimes the excuses are good.  I prefer to get it done in the AM and get it out of the way.
2009-04-16 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I also agree - do a morning workout before life gets in the way - once it is done no one can take it away from you!
2009-04-17 2:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hey group, any ideas on what's the best course of action for me tomorrow? I am down to do a long run tomorrow as part of my 1/2 marathon training, there's also a spin class at the gym that I love. I'd like to do both but I doubt I'll have the energy/stamina to do them back to back. Should I get up early run, then spin or have a lie in spin then run in the evening? Any ideas?

2009-04-17 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2090655

User image

Master
Houston
It sounds like the run is more important than the spin with the 1/2 marathon. I would do the run only and let the body recover from it rather than hit the spin class.

Kate_r - 2009-04-17 2:21 AM Hey group, any ideas on what's the best course of action for me tomorrow? I am down to do a long run tomorrow as part of my 1/2 marathon training, there's also a spin class at the gym that I love. I'd like to do both but I doubt I'll have the energy/stamina to do them back to back. Should I get up early run, then spin or have a lie in spin then run in the evening? Any ideas?
2009-04-17 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2090877

User image

Master
Houston
Happy Friday! What does everyone have planned for weekend workouts?

I've got my long run this evening, open water swim tomorrow AM and a bike ride on Sunday. I'm just hoping the weather holds out, supposed to be nasty here tomorrow.
2009-04-17 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2090889

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
evondo - 2009-04-17 8:54 AM

Happy Friday! What does everyone have planned for weekend workouts?

I've got my long run this evening, open water swim tomorrow AM and a bike ride on Sunday. I'm just hoping the weather holds out, supposed to be nasty here tomorrow.

The pool I swim in was closed this morning to fix a pipe - hoping it is open by lunch so i can swim then. Tonight a light track workout. Tomorrow I get to do 55 on the bike to prepare for my half. THen Sunday I get to run 9. YEAH for me.
2009-04-17 9:13 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by alsi071 2009-04-17 9:14 AM
2009-04-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2090889

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-04-17 8:54 AM Happy Friday! What does everyone have planned for weekend workouts?

My Friday's are always a short swim drill (20 minutes) followed by a 30 minute run.

3 hr. bike ride on Saturday. 

Sunday is an active recovery day - I usually either walk 3 miles or run tennis drills with my son for 1.5-2 hrs.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

2009-04-17 4:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
I have been ill for the first time in years - sore throat and cold and stuff - taking it easy!
2009-04-18 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2092750

Master
Houston
Hope you feel better get some rest!

microspawn - 2009-04-17 4:48 PM I have been ill for the first time in years - sore throat and cold and stuff - taking it easy!
2009-04-18 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2093824

Master
Houston
I know many of you are working on making a training plan for the first time or are trying to follow one for the first time.  Here are some guidelines that I'd recommend to get the most out of your training hours...

Drop the weight lifting, especially legs. Unless you are already comfortably doing 2x swim,2x bike, 2x run each week and have stopped seeing improvements by doing these workouts.  If you want to build upper body strength while training start the 100 pushup challenge. It'll be the best thing for your training time and it can be done anywhere at nearly anytime.  Lifting legs will NOT make you a faster biker/runner as much as biking/running FASTER and LONGER.  Now there is a place for lifting but only if its soreness does not cause you to miss workouts or perform below the level the swim/bike/run workouts require.  To give you an example, I didn't start lifting legs until 2 years into this sport, I did lift upper body but looking back I wish I spent my time doing core/pilates instead.

If you miss a workout, skip it and move on do not make it up or tack mileage onto another workout.  This causes added stress to your body that will not provide you with the fitness gains that are worth it.  There are times where you can shuffle workouts during the week but it really depends on the workout type and your schedule.  For instance you wouldn't want to put an interval run workout anywhere within 48hrs of a long run but you could put it a day before/after an easy run.

Speed work is for later in the game, you should rarely if ever be going into HR zone 4. Nearly all base building work is done in Z2-Z3 and I believe Jeff (from Gordo?) said the best phrase to summarize this "Fit first fast later". Spending most of your time in these HR zones will allow you to be consistent with your workouts day in and out because your body is able to recover from them. 

Lastly one of my favorite sayings... Training is all about stress and recovery, too much or too little of either will not yield peak performance.  You should have at least one recovery day in the week where you do not lift weights, do yoga, swim, bike or run. Sit on your butt and do as little as possible, at most go for a walk You should also have a recovery week which is normally every 3-4 weeks where you decrease your total mileage by 20-25%.  Having this recovery time will allow your body to rebuild and be ready for the next phase in training do not skip this!

Let me know what you guys think about these thoughts and if you agree/disagree with them.  I'm always interested in other opinions, these have worked for me and many others I've worked with in the past but there is no such thing as a univeral good approach...
2009-04-18 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2093859

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-04-18 12:59 PM I know many of you are working on making a training plan for the first time or are trying to follow one for the first time.  Here are some guidelines that I'd recommend to get the most out of your training hours...

Drop the weight lifting, especially legs. Unless you are already comfortably doing 2x swim,2x bike, 2x run each week and have stopped seeing improvements by doing these workouts.  If you want to build upper body strength while training start the 100 pushup challenge. It'll be the best thing for your training time and it can be done anywhere at nearly anytime.  Lifting legs will NOT make you a faster biker/runner as much as biking/running FASTER and LONGER.  Now there is a place for lifting but only if its soreness does not cause you to miss workouts or perform below the level the swim/bike/run workouts require.  To give you an example, I didn't start lifting legs until 2 years into this sport, I did lift upper body but looking back I wish I spent my time doing core/pilates instead.

If you miss a workout, skip it and move on do not make it up or tack mileage onto another workout.  This causes added stress to your body that will not provide you with the fitness gains that are worth it.  There are times where you can shuffle workouts during the week but it really depends on the workout type and your schedule.  For instance you wouldn't want to put an interval run workout anywhere within 48hrs of a long run but you could put it a day before/after an easy run.

Speed work is for later in the game, you should rarely if ever be going into HR zone 4. Nearly all base building work is done in Z2-Z3 and I believe Jeff (from Gordo?) said the best phrase to summarize this "Fit first fast later". Spending most of your time in these HR zones will allow you to be consistent with your workouts day in and out because your body is able to recover from them. 

Lastly one of my favorite sayings... Training is all about stress and recovery, too much or too little of either will not yield peak performance.  You should have at least one recovery day in the week where you do not lift weights, do yoga, swim, bike or run. Sit on your butt and do as little as possible, at most go for a walk You should also have a recovery week which is normally every 3-4 weeks where you decrease your total mileage by 20-25%.  Having this recovery time will allow your body to rebuild and be ready for the next phase in training do not skip this!

Let me know what you guys think about these thoughts and if you agree/disagree with them.  I'm always interested in other opinions, these have worked for me and many others I've worked with in the past but there is no such thing as a univeral good approach...

Eric,

Not that you needed to hear it from me but....  Great advice.

Leg Strength Work - The only thing that I incorporate into my training are calf raises (would that be considered strength work?).  Early in my training I was constantly having problems with my calves.  In particular, my calves would often cramp up while running.  I started doing calf raises and the problem disappeared in two weeks.  Now I'm pretty religous about finishing my workouts by doing calves raises.  Takes me less than 5 minutes - well worth the time invested.

Speed Work - I can't remember if I first got the quote from Gordo's mentoring group.  I do know that the quote is in his book "Going Long".  The actual quote is "Fast Follows Fit".  When I started 6 months ago I would often go anaerobic and end up hurting myself.  If your hurt there goes your training consistency.  Now, like you said,  I avoid Zone 4/5.  An interesting side note - I'm just starting to notice that my power/pace at a given HR is increasing.  So I'm only training in Zones 1/2/3 and I'm getting faster.  Faster for Free!!!  I'm nowhere near your "fast" but it's nice to see improvement.

Jeff
2009-04-18 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2094089

Master
Houston
Thanks for correcting me on the quote, I figured I didn't have it 100% right

I like your calf raises example a lot because this is a good use of weights... There is a big difference with you doing the calf raises which is definitely a good thing over someone doing a normal leg workout. You utilized weights to strengthen your limiter which allowed you to run continuously and I'm guessing further where most people will do leg exercises and it'll cause them to run slower and not be able to exercise their aerobic engine.

From what I've seen of your logs, your consistency and patience in base building is paying off.  There will come a point where Z1-Z3 training will no longer give you performance gains and when that happens speed work, hill training and weights is what you start to ramp up.  Until then enjoy improvements doing what you're doing!

junthank - 2009-04-18 3:28 PM

Eric,

Not that you needed to hear it from me but....  Great advice.

Leg Strength Work - The only thing that I incorporate into my training are calf raises (would that be considered strength work?).  Early in my training I was constantly having problems with my calves.  In particular, my calves would often cramp up while running.  I started doing calf raises and the problem disappeared in two weeks.  Now I'm pretty religous about finishing my workouts by doing calves raises.  Takes me less than 5 minutes - well worth the time invested.

Speed Work - I can't remember if I first got the quote from Gordo's mentoring group.  I do know that the quote is in his book "Going Long".  The actual quote is "Fast Follows Fit".  When I started 6 months ago I would often go anaerobic and end up hurting myself.  If your hurt there goes your training consistency.  Now, like you said,  I avoid Zone 4/5.  An interesting side note - I'm just starting to notice that my power/pace at a given HR is increasing.  So I'm only training in Zones 1/2/3 and I'm getting faster.  Faster for Free!!!  I'm nowhere near your "fast" but it's nice to see improvement.

Jeff

2009-04-20 6:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi Eric,

I understand what you mean about the leg work but I think it depends on if you have any imbalances in the your legs or core to begin with. I believe the leg focussed weight work has helped me and has increased my speed.

One thing about the HR though. I find it hard to run for any length of time without going into Z4 at the end. Any ideas of what to do - perhaps I should walk backwards ;o)
2009-04-20 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2096399

Master
Houston
I definitely agree with you on core work. Core should be done frequently (3-6x/week) and that doesn't just mean crunches/situps. Core includes lower back, hip flexors, obliques, abs and more.

For lifting legs, if it helps you get through your runs then definitely continue but if you're doing it for speed reasons and your legs hurt while running/biking because of it I'd consider dropping it. Of course it's just my opinion there are many others that will tell you to keep lifting...

The creeping into Z4 is pretty common when starting out due to cardiac drift what I normally have people do is start off slower or increase their walk:run ratio.  When starting out slower you'll probably feel like you're going WAY to slow but over the duration of the run you'll end up where you need to be.  As your fitness increases your heart rate difference from the beginning to end of the run will become smaller and as this happens you'll also be getting faster. I know it sounds crazy to say going slower will make you faster but it's been proven time and time again

Kate_r - 2009-04-20 6:31 AM Hi Eric, I understand what you mean about the leg work but I think it depends on if you have any imbalances in the your legs or core to begin with. I believe the leg focussed weight work has helped me and has increased my speed. One thing about the HR though. I find it hard to run for any length of time without going into Z4 at the end. Any ideas of what to do - perhaps I should walk backwards ;o)
2009-04-20 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2096583

Master
Houston
Happy Monday all, hope everyone had a great weekend and got all the workouts in that they wanted to!
2009-04-20 10:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
So I got out and about yesterday and did some real training. 9 miles at an 8 minute / mile pace. I felt pretty good and the exercise did make me feel better. But I could tell that I was still under the weather. I am not a nap kind of person – it can be difficult for me to lie down in the afternoon. I get stir crazy. I stare at the walls and have to get moving.

Well, yesterday I relaxed for a little bit after lunch and took a 3 hour nap. I was out like a light. Even after I woke up I was still tired. I was lethargic most of the evening.

I was gratified to have completed a day in the new training plan. I have made it a goal to follow this new training plan as close as possible. I always tend to add too much – fun stuff like going for an extra bike ride with the group or doing a few extra intervals – you know – just getting caught up in the fun of it.

Today called for a 45 minute interval session on the bike and a 35 minute run later in the day. I set out my cycling gear and was glad to see the sun up at 6AM. The intervals were hard – 10 x 1 minute with 2 minute recovery. Man – some of those minutes seemed to last forever!

The time off – even though ill – has made me excited again about training.

As a side note - I have done those running and cycling exercises to see your sweat rate - you weight before and after and take into account how much you drank. I should have done this during those cycling intervals this morning just to determine my expectorant rate! Yuk. Who knew so much mucus could be expelled in 45 minutes!

JAMES
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10