BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-04-23 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2071252

User image

New user

Subject: RE: The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go.
Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate.  I still have to figure out the best schedule for me but I'm certianly going to make the weekend days one long run and one long bike. 5 weeks to go till my first tri! Now if I only only find a tri clun or a bike club in this area I like.

2009-04-24 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2094771

User image

A cubicle in Jacksonville, FL
Scott,
Most of the races down here in sunny Florida restrict the use of wetsuits based on water temperature. Maybe next year when I race earlier in the season and the water hasn't quite warmed all the way up yet I can use one, but for July and August races, they wont be allowed.
I've got a question- I'm following the training plan I chose and I feel like I'm doing pretty well, improving each week on my times, but how do I/would I know if I need to train more? Do I just continue to follow the plan because I'm scheduled to be doing more than race distances when race time arrives? Also, how does one figure out what their time-goal should be? I'd like to think that for my first sprint I'd hit somewhere between 1:30 and 1:45, but is that too aggressive, or not aggressive enough?
2009-04-24 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello everyone,
My comp crashed so I had to send it in. I got it back and am back online now. I will log on tonight and work on responses but in the mean time I was wondering what people see as things that help them train well? What gets in the way of training well? How do you deal with obstacles?

See you tonight.
2009-04-24 5:10 PM

User image

New user

So I decided to join a tri club. I figured the push to have me work out with other (I'm very competative) will help me better myself. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do the workouts. I'm trying to get the hang of working out twice a day. I mean this is my first week so I should be ok.

As for the obsticles. I just have to figure out how to motivate myself. Depending on my mood its a different way. Sometimes its thinking about the weight I want to lose, or being able to eat what I want when I want to. Usually thought its just finding an inspirational story to get me back in gear. Also my dog begging me to take him on a run doesn't hurt.

2009-04-24 11:26 PM
in reply to: #2099802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
BobJ123 - 2009-04-21 8:57 AM

Have any of you done "Total Immersion" swimming?  I've bought the book & DVD, mostly because I thought this video made it look so easy to swim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

So far I haven't done too well with the drills, I think it would help to have a partner.  I might do one of their clinics, although they are pretty pricey for two days.

Bob

Hi Bob,
I swam next to a guy who was using the total immersion technique once and he looked relaxed and fairly fast so I checked into it and what I found out was that it is not a great technique for people who are working towards going fast in a race. Look at it his way. Most of the top swimmers in triathlons are not using it. It does seem good at first but as you develop as a swimmer though it is not as helpful.

Hope that helps.
2009-04-24 11:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I have seen a question coming up in a couple of different ways about what to expect pace wise on race day. Maybe I can address this in a way that helps.

I think the best advice I can give is to race how you train, If you average 10 minute miles during training, you might be a little faster during a race but probably not much. Same with the bike and swim.

One note of encouragement here though. Study the course ahead of time. Don't be surprised by hills etc on race day. Train for them so you can be successful at them. Also get in the open water before race day in your wetsuit if you wear one. It is different than the pool and race day is not a great time to try and learn how something is going to work. I have a race this weekend and it has a huge hill up the side of the mountain that I have to go up twice. Since I know ahead of time I have been able to prepare for it.

One other thought is that we all want to do well when we race but for your first one out I would recommend going to finish and explore the sport. Take it all in, enjoy the race and learn from the day. Make it successful and smile a lot. This makes the next one much easier and allows you to be comfortable and avoid mistakes like blowing up at the start and having a hard time finishing. When ever I start a race, when the guy says go, I count to three ebfore I start. It allows the "pack" to go first and makes me take a breath and avoid blowing up at the start.

Hope this helps.

2009-04-24 11:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I saw a lot of good info on training schedules and also some good questions. When I first started here is what I did:
Swim, bike, run, swim, bike , run. Sunday rest. Saturday I would do a brick every other week where I would go for about 30 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on the run. This helped a lot with the run.

Now I workout 7 days a week but all I did is add a little structure to the workouts and another short run.

For the long workouts I don't recommend making them back to back because I don't think you get the benefit from them. I do my long run on tuesday and my long bike on saturday. You of course have to figure out what works for your schedule but that so far works for me.

One other thought about workouts that is very important is recovery. It is important to treat the 2 hours following a work as just important as the workout. I recommend finding a good recovery supplement to drink during the first thirty minutes after a workout. The first 30 minutes is the critical window for your muscles. The next 1:30 is also almost as important so make sure during that time you eat things that are easily digestable and high in protein and carbs (candy doesn't count for carbs :-) )

You guys are awesome. I love reading your posts and seeing you helping each other. We are going to have a great time!
2009-04-25 10:21 AM

New user

Scott

I am a little nervous about my first open water swim coming up (5/30).  I know I can swim the distance, but I have never swam open water for an extended period of time.  I ordered a wetsuit and it is being shipped.  I think it will be here this week, but it is still pretty cool around here for an open water swim.  I think the highs are supposed to be in the low 60's most of the week.  Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Good luck on your race!

Chris
2009-04-25 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2109639

Regular
Denver
street3936 - 2009-04-25 9:21 AM Scott

I am a little nervous about my first open water swim coming up (5/30).  I know I can swim the distance, but I have never swam open water for an extended period of time.  I ordered a wetsuit and it is being shipped.  I think it will be here this week, but it is still pretty cool around here for an open water swim.  I think the highs are supposed to be in the low 60's most of the week.  Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

Good luck on your race!

Chris

It might be worth looking into whether any of the lakes near you have open water swimming so you can at least try it, especially with the wetsuit, before your race.  I'm lucky in that it looks like there are a couple of options for me to do that out here this summer.

Bob
2009-04-25 8:56 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Got a Garmin Forerunner 305 at Bestbuy where it was on sale. used it today on my 12+ mile run. Didn't get to download the data until tonight. This is awesome! It shows my heartrate throughout my course, my top speed average speed average heartrate, calories, etc.  I had an average HR of 130 bpm and a top of 143 bpm. My average speed was 6.8 mph and my top was 10.3. This was my long slow run of the week. This tool makes it so much easier.

One problem, I use reading glasses. I can't see my HR on this while running. Any suggestions. My wife suggsted seeing if I can get contacts. I seem to remember that I am not a good candidate for them.
2009-04-26 8:21 AM

User image

New user

I ordered something similar to that also. I needed it to track my progress. I can't wait for it to get here I'm stoked!

2009-04-26 5:57 PM

Regular
Denver
Subject: First 5k -- lessons learned
I ran my first ever 5k this morning (the Cherry Creek Sneak) and here are some thoughts. 

The good:
- I finished!  That was really my main goal, since I've never run that far before, with my longest training runs have been 2.6 miles.
- I went faster than I expected.  I've been running 12 minute miles.
- I got faster as the run went on.  I ran the first mile in 11:37, the second in 11:00, and the final 1.1 in 12:00 for a total of 34:37.
- My body mostly held up.  My feet/ankles kind of hurt a bit, but nothing too bad.

The bad:
- Somewhere between my car and the clothes check I lost my timing chip.  This really sucked because I walked/jogged back to the car to look for it, but still couldn't find it.
- I parked about as far away as possible, which made that first point worse.  I think I added close to a mile to my day since I made two round trips.
- The chip costs $30.  Ugh.  Maybe someone turned it in for me.

Part of what screwed me up was the weather (and the lack of ability for weather people to ever get it right out here).  It was supposed to be cold & raining.  It was definitely cold, 37 when I got up, but it was very sunny, so when I was in the parking lot I went back and forth about what clothes to wear for the race, what to leave in the car, what to take to the clothes check (none was the right answer there).  I won't be surprised if I find the chip in my car at some point.

So, main lessons are 1) put the damn chip in first thing before leaving home! and 2) park closer so I don't need to worry about clothes check.

The run was mostly fun, they had some bands and spectators along the way and a beer garden afterwards (although 8:45 is a little early).
2009-04-26 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2110504

I use the 405.  I can adjust the display areas, you may have the ability to adjust your display settings as well.  If it helps I can give you more detail on how I modified mine>

Kevin 
2009-04-27 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2111742

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Thanks Kevin:

I will look in the manual to see if that is an option. My HR is certainly more important to me than some of the other #'s I CAN read now.

millk3 - 2009-04-26 9:03 PM I use the 405.  I can adjust the display areas, you may have the ability to adjust your display settings as well.  If it helps I can give you more detail on how I modified mine>

Kevin 
2009-04-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2109639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
street3936 - 2009-04-25 8:21 AM

Scott

Good luck on your race!

Chris

The most important part of open water swimming is that you have to believe you can do it. The wetsuit is an incredible help for the temp. I highly recommend you get in the water and try it out. One thing I do is just go stand in cold water in my wetsuit and stick my head in and practice breathing. When we hit cold water this seems to be the hardest part. You are going to be great. Just take it one stroke at a time.
2009-04-27 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2110504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
DougRob - 2009-04-25 6:56 PM

Got a Garmin Forerunner 305 at Bestbuy where it was on sale. used it today on my 12+ mile run. Didn't get to download the data until tonight. This is awesome! It shows my heartrate throughout my course, my top speed average speed average heartrate, calories, etc.  I had an average HR of 130 bpm and a top of 143 bpm. My average speed was 6.8 mph and my top was 10.3. This was my long slow run of the week. This tool makes it so much easier.

One problem, I use reading glasses. I can't see my HR on this while running. Any suggestions. My wife suggsted seeing if I can get contacts. I seem to remember that I am not a good candidate for them.

Thats fun you got a HR. They are a great tool. One ting you can do is use the auditory signal. You can hear the heart rate usually and after some experience tell where about your HR is. I don't have a ton of experience with contacts but I can imagine from the sweat that they would be tough to use. The fact that you can use your computer as a tool is a big help also. You might also try going out for an easy run and see where your HR is, go out for a mid ramge effort run and see where it is. Then go for a harder run and see where it is. A lot of people don't use HRs at all and just go by perceived rate of effort. If you can match your HR results to a PRE then you might be fine without being able to see your watch on the run itself. I think its good not to be too dependant during training anyway because they sometimes fail and it can be miserable.

2009-04-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2110763

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Kristen3479 - 2009-04-26 6:21 AM

I ordered something similar to that also. I needed it to track my progress. I can't wait for it to get here I'm stoked!

One of the fun things about triathlons is the gadgets. I just had a bunch of work done on my bike and added some gadgets. FUn stuff.
2009-04-27 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2111336

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: First 5k -- lessons learned
BobJ123 - 2009-04-26 3:57 PM

I ran my first ever 5k this morning (the Cherry Creek Sneak) and here are some thoughts. 

The good:
- I finished!  That was really my main goal, since I've never run that far before, with my longest training runs have been 2.6 miles.
- I went faster than I expected.  I've been running 12 minute miles.
- I got faster as the run went on.  I ran the first mile in 11:37, the second in 11:00, and the final 1.1 in 12:00 for a total of 34:37.
- My body mostly held up.  My feet/ankles kind of hurt a bit, but nothing too bad.

The bad:
- Somewhere between my car and the clothes check I lost my timing chip.  This really sucked because I walked/jogged back to the car to look for it, but still couldn't find it.
- I parked about as far away as possible, which made that first point worse.  I think I added close to a mile to my day since I made two round trips.
- The chip costs $30.  Ugh.  Maybe someone turned it in for me.

Part of what screwed me up was the weather (and the lack of ability for weather people to ever get it right out here).  It was supposed to be cold & raining.  It was definitely cold, 37 when I got up, but it was very sunny, so when I was in the parking lot I went back and forth about what clothes to wear for the race, what to leave in the car, what to take to the clothes check (none was the right answer there).  I won't be surprised if I find the chip in my car at some point.

So, main lessons are 1) put the damn chip in first thing before leaving home! and 2) park closer so I don't need to worry about clothes check.

The run was mostly fun, they had some bands and spectators along the way and a beer garden afterwards (although 8:45 is a little early).

Bob,
Good for you. Nice job on your 5K. Your splits look really good. negative splitting is tough. Way to go. The timing chip is a great learning thing. Look at all the things you will never do again at a race. :-)
2009-04-27 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2110763

Subject: Swim Coach - I have work to do...
I had a swim coach evaluate my technique on Sat.  I'm slapping the water with my left hand and my kicking.. well she was wondering where it was...

Spent most of the time on drills to reinforce proper technique and kicking from the "butt and hams", I'm kicking form the knees when I do kick.

I hit the water today to time myself.  I'm sitting at 18:05 for 750m - the distance I have to swim on Sun for my Sprint. 

I knew I was sloppy on the left arm and my kicking was "bad" now I've had it confirmed.  I need to focus on improving my technique.

KM 

Edited by millk3 2009-04-27 3:33 PM
2009-04-27 3:53 PM

User image

New user

millk3
Do you ever use flippers when you practice swimming? I love them. 1) they are just plain fun and they increas your speed. 2) to use them they pretty much force you to kick from your butt. You have to try to keep your legs straighter to get the speed from them. I'd give it a shot if I were you. I use them in my warm up swim, warm up kicks, and some sprints. Just a thought.

2009-04-27 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Just one question about the swim lesson. Was the person a swim coach or do they know about triathlon competition as well? I am only curious because I have heard that swimming for a tri is different than swimming for just in pool competition. I definately think that swim coaches have a lot to offer on technique and I am not knocking the person in any way. One thing that caught my attention was the amount of kicking needed. Especially in longer events, I don't kick much at all (remember that a wetsuit gives extra bouyancy) because my arms are needed most for the swim but my legs still have to go on a bike and run. Just a thought. I would be curious to hear what your coach thinks of my line of thought. Again not saying I am right or wrong, thats just how I think of it. Let me know what they say.

Scott

2009-04-29 9:23 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I did a swim workout this AM and used drill from Triswimcoach. I swam on my side and practiced breathing his way. It was tough some of the time but I started getting use to it. I was definitely riding higher in the water. About 2/3 of the way through the workout I decided to swimm 100 yds for time. Despite having already swam over 1000 yds I was 7 second faster than my best 100 to date.

I am getting more excited about the swim now!

Doug
2009-04-29 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2117980

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
DougRob - 2009-04-29 7:23 AM

I did a swim workout this AM and used drill from Triswimcoach. I swam on my side and practiced breathing his way. It was tough some of the time but I started getting use to it. I was definitely riding higher in the water. About 2/3 of the way through the workout I decided to swimm 100 yds for time. Despite having already swam over 1000 yds I was 7 second faster than my best 100 to date.

I am getting more excited about the swim now!

Doug

Excellent. Swimming seems to just take time to get good at. At least for me it takes a loooooong time. But I was also never much of a swimmer. Good for you for sticking with it.
2009-04-29 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Here is a question for the group:

What do you use for motivation during a workout or race? Do you have a fav saying, song or ??? DO you use visualization?
2009-04-29 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2113721

I do have fins (Finis zoomer Z2).  I have used them a little.  During the coaching session we did a lot of drills with them.  I heard a lot of "kick from the hips" when I was doing drills.  I did 1400m today with some drills.  Once I get through my Sprint on Sunday I'm planning to switch up my swimming and spend lots of time on drills.  The coach gave me a band to put around my ankles to help me keep my feet in line and kick from the hips.  I tried it out today and it does force you to kick from the hips.  When I didn't kick from the hips my butt and legs quickly sank.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  

of 10