BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-22 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2103607

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - Full!!
calimavs - 2009-04-22 4:51 PM

RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-22 4:10 PM

Okay...first question...what type of bike are you currently riding (or do you just use your husbands and the spin bikes in class?) Also, whose shoes are you riding when you're going clipless--do you have your own cycling shoes or are you using his?

Riding clipless is one of the bigger challenges folks have when it comes to the cycling portion of triathlon. Ultimately, riding clipless is MUCH easier than using traditional pedals and cages. Clipless pedals allows you to pull up on your leg rather than push down on a pedal to gain momentum. The only way it gets easier is with practice. If you have a trainer at home that you can hook the bike up to, do that and work on clipping in and out. I did this for my first few training rides when learning to go clipless. Then after a while, I took it to a path in a grassy area and would clip in and out over and over and over while cycling...just to get used to the feeling. You may fall over...and that's okay (make sure you're wearing a helmet!)...remember that even the best cyclists forget to clip out from time to time and fall over. It happens. You may get scraped up, but I don't know of any cyclist who hasn't fallen at least once while getting used to it. When I changed my mindset from being afraid of falling to accepting the fact that it might happen and being determined to learn how to ride clipless, things started to click into place.

When you end up getting yourself a roadbike, I'd suggest investing in clipless pedals and cycling shoes. In the longterm, it's an investment. You can also pick up a pair of inexpensive pedals as well (standard ones will run you anywhere from $12-25) and switch them out as needed. Shimano also makes a double-sided pedal where one side is for clipless riding and the other is a standard flat pedal. Something along these lines: http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/0414441 They're intended for mountain bikes, but folks use them on road bikes frequently.

Thanks so much Barb! Right now I'm just using the spin bikes at the gym along with my husband's bike. His bike is a Norco road bike which is a Canadian brand (he's from Canada) and he has Shimano gears. I'm actually very tall (almost 6') so he and I wear almost the same size shoe so I've just been using his cycling shoes.

It sounds like from the fear perspective that I just need to do more of what I'm doing and get out there and get used to riding clipped in. I realize that at some point I'm going to fall so I just need to get used to the idea. We were joking that we should find a grassy place in the park and bring some pillows and have my husband push me over while I'm clipped in to get it over with. I'm really starting to lean towards buying myself my own bike, since he's a big cyclist and then we could go riding together, not to mention that I'd like to get a women's bike that's fitted to me.

Thanks so much for all your advice, it is SO helpful!

For me, accepting that I was more than likely going to fall at some point or another really helped me cope with attempting to ride clipless outdoors in the beginning. It's one of those inevitable things. Luckily, I've only fall twice on my bike, one of which was a brain fart and forgetting to clip out when I stopped. Needless to say, my riding buddies got a really great laugh. I was pretty much standing still and just tipped right over!! The other spill was going over a train track...I hit at at the wrong angle...and it was just a perfect storm. A few scraped knees never hurt anyone.

I think that looking into a bike of your own is really beneficial. There are bikes built specifically for women with our lady bits in mind and I think you'll find you're more comfortable riding one of those than your hubby's. Everything from stem length to the top tube will work in your favor to maximize your comfort on the road.

Sometime over the next few weeks you should visit your local bike shop and test ride a few women-specific bikes and see if you can feel a difference. You may not, and that's okay, too. But at least you'll have a better idea of what you like and don't like when it comes to a new bike (when the time comes of course).

2009-04-22 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2103865

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL!
lovesreading - 2009-04-22 7:22 PM

My name's Cheryl. I'm a 43yo married mom of 4 working fulltime seems like everywhere all the time.  I also have a  pug:  Jabba the Pug.

I'd like to be in this group because it seems to be full of vibrant, committed people - some of whom are as scared by parts of tri as I am.  I love the long supportive posts and especially identify with clipophobia.

I just happily finished my first tri (Miami University Sprint) and am prepping for about 1 a month through August.

I'll share more later when I'm home from work...

Cheryl
Cincinnati, OH

Hi Cheryl!! Welcome aboard! I love the name Jabba the Pug!! You'll have to post pics sometime.

How'd you feel after the Miami Univ. Sprint? Anything you would've done differently in training or race day? What are the distances for your upcoming tris and have you picked a plan to take you through the summer? And too funny that you call it clipophobia...

I'm looking forward to getting to know you and answering any questions you may have along the way. Here's to a fun and successful season!!! CHEERS!!
2009-04-23 12:32 AM
in reply to: #2103339

User image

Regina, Sk

It is getting late but I wanted to reply.  Thanks for taking me in.  As for my logs, I am nothing if not half ways organized.  Also, if I don't plan it it doesn't happen so I make sure to log it so I get a sense of accomplishment.

As for the road bike, I considered the fact that I should ride it on the way home today.  It was not fitted so I'm not sure if it is right.  The guys at the shop said it was a 56cm frame and I should be in a 58 cm or more so they put the seat up as high as it will go and I will give it a try.  I will get a new bike in the next year but for now it will have to do.

Road blocks to swimming.. hmm where do I start?  I currently can't go more then two laps without stopping for a break.  My technique is poor so I use up a lot of energy.  I feel like I am going to suck in half the pool when I turn me head too breath.  On that note I have only been swimming a few times really and I can feel myself getting stronger.  My plan is to do 300m non stop and then assess my training plan.  I did take the advice of one of my fellow swimmers and that was to swim one lap to his every two till I can build some strength without exhausting myself.  It seems to be working so far.

The plan I am following is from "Triathlon Training" by Micheal FINCH.  "11 weeks from zero to hero."  I also have "Triathlon Revolution" by Terri Schnieder.  I have the plan marked out but it changes depeding on what is happening in my life.  I consider this "flexible" even though the end result is nothing like the plan.  On days I have nothing else then I follow "the plan".

Thanks for the help so far.  I better get to bed as the truck is in the shop and I have to run to work tomorrow.  See?  So much for the plan.Laughing

Edit: so I road my road bike this morning cause I thought "your right I should figure it out". Man is that thing fast compared to my Mountain Bike. This is only the 2nd time I have rode it. What a difference. Besides, I was "running" late so I did not want to run. Ha ha. Have a good day folks.Alan

Edited by boomer99 2009-04-23 8:28 AM
2009-04-23 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2102963

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - Open
RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-22 2:00 PM
DenaRae - 2009-04-22 10:56 AM
RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-22 11:43 AM What movie are you planning on seeing? 

I'll be seeing The Class which I've been putting off for weeks, but it's leaving tomorrow.  It's supposed to be really good.
I've never heard of it! Let me know how it goes.

The movie was great, one of the best I've seen this year.  It's a french film that revolves around a French class of 14 year olds in an inner city school.  Tough to watch at times, but so very good.
2009-04-23 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2081113

User image

Expert
Chicago
Gooooooooooood morning, everyone!

I read something this morning that I wanted to share with all of you...it's especially prevalent for you ladies out there (Alan & Nik, I think you'll still get something out of it). It's a blog post from Elizabeth Waterstraat...she went pro in triathlon last year, she coaches Multisport Mastery, and she's a riot.

Her blog post yesterday really struck a chord with me because confidence is something I've personally struggled with in the past (and some days still do). And based on some of the things you have all expressed to me about doubts in the water and nervousness with the bike and feeling weak on the run, I think it'd be beneficial to take a few minutes and soak in her perspective on it all...

So go on...take a read...then come back and share your thoughts on the subject if you like...

http://elizabethfedofsky.blogspot.com/2009/04/confidence-is-not-nau...

Over the next few days as you find yourself in the pool, or clipping in or lacing up I hope you really think about your mindset and envision yourself rockin' the crap out of your workout. I want you to be that fearless squirrel and take the nut that you deserve...do something now to help set yourself up for success, so that come race day you find yourself toeing the line thinking "I've got this!"

One of my favorite quotes that goes along with this is on my blog... "You already have everything you need to be a long-distance athlete. It's mind-set, not miles, that separates those who do from those who dream." It doesn't matter if you're aiming for a local 5k or an Ironman triathlon, you already have the tools to train to get there...it's just believing in yourself that you can--and will--do it.
2009-04-23 10:35 AM

User image

Austin, Texas
So by late afternoon yesterday, my left shin really started to hurt.  This morning, not better at all.  Since I've got the 5K this Saturday, I skipped my run this morning to give my leg a rest, I'll probably skip it tomorrow too.  But it was the perfect excuse to get on my bike for the first time this year (I think I was only on it 3 times last year).  I kept on the bike trail for most of it so I didn't have to deal with traffic.  I went nearly 8 miles and felt really good.  It was about 38 deg and misty.  My bike needs some work though.  I've got to get it in the shop soon.  I don't think it's supposed to make so much noise. 

I'll be in the pool this afternoon while my kids are taking lessons.  I think I'll start with the drills from Total Immersion.  We'll see how that goes.

2009-04-23 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2104245

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-22 7:43 PM
calimavs - 2009-04-22 4:51 PM
RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-22 4:10 PM Okay...first question...what type of bike are you currently riding (or do you just use your husbands and the spin bikes in class?) Also, whose shoes are you riding when you're going clipless--do you have your own cycling shoes or are you using his? Riding clipless is one of the bigger challenges folks have when it comes to the cycling portion of triathlon. Ultimately, riding clipless is MUCH easier than using traditional pedals and cages. Clipless pedals allows you to pull up on your leg rather than push down on a pedal to gain momentum. The only way it gets easier is with practice. If you have a trainer at home that you can hook the bike up to, do that and work on clipping in and out. I did this for my first few training rides when learning to go clipless. Then after a while, I took it to a path in a grassy area and would clip in and out over and over and over while cycling...just to get used to the feeling. You may fall over...and that's okay (make sure you're wearing a helmet!)...remember that even the best cyclists forget to clip out from time to time and fall over. It happens. You may get scraped up, but I don't know of any cyclist who hasn't fallen at least once while getting used to it. When I changed my mindset from being afraid of falling to accepting the fact that it might happen and being determined to learn how to ride clipless, things started to click into place. When you end up getting yourself a roadbike, I'd suggest investing in clipless pedals and cycling shoes. In the longterm, it's an investment. You can also pick up a pair of inexpensive pedals as well (standard ones will run you anywhere from $12-25) and switch them out as needed. Shimano also makes a double-sided pedal where one side is for clipless riding and the other is a standard flat pedal. Something along these lines: http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/0414441 They're intended for mountain bikes, but folks use them on road bikes frequently.
Thanks so much Barb! Right now I'm just using the spin bikes at the gym along with my husband's bike. His bike is a Norco road bike which is a Canadian brand (he's from Canada) and he has Shimano gears. I'm actually very tall (almost 6') so he and I wear almost the same size shoe so I've just been using his cycling shoes. It sounds like from the fear perspective that I just need to do more of what I'm doing and get out there and get used to riding clipped in. I realize that at some point I'm going to fall so I just need to get used to the idea. We were joking that we should find a grassy place in the park and bring some pillows and have my husband push me over while I'm clipped in to get it over with. I'm really starting to lean towards buying myself my own bike, since he's a big cyclist and then we could go riding together, not to mention that I'd like to get a women's bike that's fitted to me. Thanks so much for all your advice, it is SO helpful!
For me, accepting that I was more than likely going to fall at some point or another really helped me cope with attempting to ride clipless outdoors in the beginning. It's one of those inevitable things. Luckily, I've only fall twice on my bike, one of which was a brain fart and forgetting to clip out when I stopped. Needless to say, my riding buddies got a really great laugh. I was pretty much standing still and just tipped right over!! The other spill was going over a train track...I hit at at the wrong angle...and it was just a perfect storm. A few scraped knees never hurt anyone. I think that looking into a bike of your own is really beneficial. There are bikes built specifically for women with our lady bits in mind and I think you'll find you're more comfortable riding one of those than your hubby's. Everything from stem length to the top tube will work in your favor to maximize your comfort on the road. Sometime over the next few weeks you should visit your local bike shop and test ride a few women-specific bikes and see if you can feel a difference. You may not, and that's okay, too. But at least you'll have a better idea of what you like and don't like when it comes to a new bike (when the time comes of course).

I know this may sound totally outrageous but one way to lower the fear of falling is to actually do it.  Find an area that has soft grass like a paved multi-use trail through a park.  Ride slowly to the edge and just let yourself fall over.  Yes, it might hurt a little but that will go away.  For me, after my first real fall I realized it wasn't on my mind during the entire ride anymore.  I was able to enjoy it more.  IMHO.

2009-04-23 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2104432

User image

Expert
Chicago
Alan - First of all...YAY FOR RIDING THE ROADIE TO WORK!!!!!!!!! The more time in the road saddle you spend, the better and more confident you'll feel. And nothing beats looking back at a very colorful training log at the end of the month and seeing just how hard you worked.

Like you, I have to plan ahead for a workout. If I'm doing something in the morning before work, you can bet that I've got everything laid out, water bottles in the fridge, and nutrition already organized before I go to sleep the night before. I have to make it as simple as possible so I can literally roll out of bed all groggy-eyed and get ready. If I have to put effort in getting ready while I'm half asleep--forget it!!

I'm glad you can tell that you're already getting stronger in the water. This is good!!! Have you looked in to finding a swim class or getting one on one time with a swim coach to become more efficient in the water? Just keep pushing yourself and watching the strength build up. Every once in a while try and push yourself out of your comfort zone a little bit more...maybe go for 400 or 450...then the next time you get in for 300 it'll be that much easier. I've found that to build endurance in the water I have to force myself to feel uncomfortable sometimes.

But it sounds like you've got a good plan working for you overall. Flexibility is key, especially when it comes to balancing your training with your other priorities (and why planning is ultimately so important!). Keep up the great work!
2009-04-23 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Great article!  I really do believe that most of the obstacles are in your head.  I did an indoor triathlon about a month ago, and I was really scared of the swim section.  It was 10 minutes straight swimming, but in my practices I'd only been doing 50 or 100m (200 for my "long" swims) at a time before having to stop and rest.  Even when I was on a swim team in high school, most of our sets weren't any longer than 200m, so I had no clue what 10 minutes of straight swimming felt like.  But then during the actual race, the time just flew by, and before I knew it, I heard the 1 minute whistle and was able to sprint the final minute and finish strong.  I really surprised myself; I didn't think I had it in me!

Speaking of swimming, the coach didn't show up to class yesterday   So we all just swam by ourselves.  One of the guys who was there for the class is also a triathlete (he did the Chicago Olympic distance last year), and he generally likes the swim classes.  So I'll probably stick with it for at least a little while. 

And regarding clipless pedals. . . I just recently bought a used road bike and have only ridden once or twice.  I definitely need to buy cages, straps, or clipless pedals to keep my feet from slipping off (I hit myself in the shin/ankle with my pedal several times during my last ride because my foot would slip off when I'd try to go fast - owww!).  But I'm really a total biking newbie, so I'm not really even sure what to get.  Do you think it's important to get the clipless pedals + cycling shoes right off the bat, or can that investment wait till later? 
2009-04-23 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2105302

User image

Expert
Chicago
Dena,

The movie sounds really interesting! I may have to add it to our Netflix lineup.

Aside from rest, are you doing anything to help with your shin pain? Keeping things low-impact with biking and swimming is a good start. But you may want to look into icing and stretching as well. If you think you've got shin splints flaring up, you may want to start incorporating calf raises into your daily regime and make sure you're stretching adequately AFTER your workouts. When was the last time you had a bike tune up? If you haven't been in the saddle for a while you may want to have a local bike shop take a look to make sure everything is lubed up and running smoothly!

Let us know how this afternoon's swim goes!! Starting with the TI drills will hopefully help you see a difference during a main set of straight-through swimming. I've found that paying attention to the breathing drills and balancing drills that focus on driving your hips with each catch & pull have been most beneficial for me.
2009-04-23 1:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Good afternoon everyone!

I got back in the pool this morning after the day off from training yesterday. I did a 1200 workout and enjoyed it on so many levels.

I had contemplated doing a 2-a-day today with a bike session this afternoon, but I think I am going to hold off on that just to give the legs a little more recovery. They've been feeling a bit heavy and definitely not fresh (I think I pushed and did too much running last week). Tomorrow will be another 'off' day because I have a work commitment, then I was thinking about doing a bike/run brick on Saturday and finish with a swim on Sunday. Incidentally, Sunday will be the 2 week mark from my first tri!

Also, I'm interested in incorporating yoga into my training. I've never done yoga before. I'm a little handcuffed to resorting to videos because I can't justify paying a full-price gym membership to do their yoga classes twice a week. I would welcome any suggestions from all of you about yoga and recommendations for good at-home videos. At this point...2 weeks out...should I wait until I finish the upcoming tri before starting yoga or would it be ok to work it in now?

And thanks, Barb, for sharing the link to the motivational blog post. I love to read about motivation, confidence and goal-setting. Having goals was an integral part of who I was as an athlete all of my life...and not surprisingly, when I stopped having goals to reach, that was the time in my life that got me to such a bad place physically and mentally.

2009-04-23 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Good morning all! I did a nice arm lifting workout last night and some stretching. Woke up today to my hip KILLING me with pain radiating down the rest of my leg. Spent the morning sitting in my cube at work with a bag of ice stuffed down my pants (nice, right?) and just called and got another doctor's appointment for tomorrow. Blah. I just want to be healed already! I really tried to ease back into activity this week but I guess that there is something more wrong with my hip than I thought. So I'm suspending all activity until I hear what the doc says tomorrow.
2009-04-23 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Hello everyone,

It has been a busy morning already.  The workouts started up again after a day off.

Hit the pool for a 1200 workout. (Things did not start off good at the pool and put me in a funk.

Because I was not mentally into it, I stuggled through the entire swim.  I found myself constantly talking myself out of quitting the entire time.  I was ready to wave the white flag and come back another day but I didn't and I pushed through.

Physically, I was finding it hard to breath (catch my breath).  This could be contributed to the funk.  Finally at the end I kind of got into it and felt a little better.  I did feel a little fatigue in the legs while swimming. 

Overall, I am glad I pushed through and I am now focusing on the next workout.
2009-04-23 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2105501

User image

Expert
Chicago
yogachic - 2009-04-23 11:28 AM

Great article!  I really do believe that most of the obstacles are in your head.  I did an indoor triathlon about a month ago, and I was really scared of the swim section.  It was 10 minutes straight swimming, but in my practices I'd only been doing 50 or 100m (200 for my "long" swims) at a time before having to stop and rest.  Even when I was on a swim team in high school, most of our sets weren't any longer than 200m, so I had no clue what 10 minutes of straight swimming felt like.  But then during the actual race, the time just flew by, and before I knew it, I heard the 1 minute whistle and was able to sprint the final minute and finish strong.  I really surprised myself; I didn't think I had it in me!

Speaking of swimming, the coach didn't show up to class yesterday   So we all just swam by ourselves.  One of the guys who was there for the class is also a triathlete (he did the Chicago Olympic distance last year), and he generally likes the swim classes.  So I'll probably stick with it for at least a little while. 

And regarding clipless pedals. . . I just recently bought a used road bike and have only ridden once or twice.  I definitely need to buy cages, straps, or clipless pedals to keep my feet from slipping off (I hit myself in the shin/ankle with my pedal several times during my last ride because my foot would slip off when I'd try to go fast - owww!).  But I'm really a total biking newbie, so I'm not really even sure what to get.  Do you think it's important to get the clipless pedals + cycling shoes right off the bat, or can that investment wait till later? 

I think that athletics in general are typically more mental than we think. Great job pushing through the 10 minutes of straight swimming in the indoor tri. Once you get focused and in a zone it's amazing how quickly the time slips by. It looks like you got a great swim in yesterday even without the coach being there. Nice job on the 1500!!

As far as the bike goes...the investment can wait, but I'm not entirely convinced it's something you'd want to put off for a long period of time. There are a handful of various pedals available for riding clipless (SPD, egg beats, non-recessed, etc.)...shopping around, reading reviews and learning about the options is going to be the best way to make a solid decision that will make you, your training and your budget happy. My initial thought is it's something you'll want to invest in sooner rather than later if you want to have them for any triathlons this year...it takes some time to get used to and will ultimately give you more power. You may want to do a little bit of research here on the benefits on riding clipless: http://www.caree.org/bike101cliplesspedals.htm

Also, I haven't forgotten about the Barrington map. It's completely MIA right now, so I've got an email into the old cycling coach for the team to see if he can resend me the cue sheet.
2009-04-23 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2105813

User image

Expert
Chicago
Tif - Nice job getting in the pool today! Listen to your body, if it says it needs some more rest...then rest (although if you're in the middle of a big build week in your plan and you're scheduled for a two-a-day, then maybe give the ride another thought). Have you been keeping up with stretching to help keep your legs fresh?

Sounds like you've got your game plan ready for the weekend!!

As far as Yoga goes, I have a few videos at home that I try to incorporate whenever I can't get into a yoga studio (though it's been a while since I've done it). Two of them are Rodney Yee (Power Yoga and then Yoga for Athletes). There are a few others, one by Crunch and Yoga for Runners by Christine Feldsted. I think that incorporating gentle yoga is beneficial for any training, just make sure you don't overexert yourself in the beginning, especially if you have a race coming up soon.

Another thing I'll toss out into the arena is something called "Triathilates" ...it's essentially pilates that focuses on the muscle groups most important to triathletes. I've taken a class with Coach Kelly before and it was both fun and tough. Not sure if it's something that interests you as well, but here's where you can look at more info...
http://www.energyfitnesscoaching.com/products/triathilates.cfm
2009-04-23 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2105862

User image

Expert
Chicago
calimavs - 2009-04-23 1:24 PM

Good morning all! I did a nice arm lifting workout last night and some stretching. Woke up today to my hip KILLING me with pain radiating down the rest of my leg. Spent the morning sitting in my cube at work with a bag of ice stuffed down my pants (nice, right?) and just called and got another doctor's appointment for tomorrow. Blah. I just want to be healed already! I really tried to ease back into activity this week but I guess that there is something more wrong with my hip than I thought. So I'm suspending all activity until I hear what the doc says tomorrow.

Oh no! I'm really glad you're getting in with a doctor. Is this your primary care physician or a specialist? A lot of times local running groups (and even TNT) have the name of various doctors who are runners and triathletes and specialize with those types of injuries. It may not hurt to ask around if you need a second opinion after tomorrow.

Keep on relaxing and icing it. Sending you lots of hugs and recovery vibes!!

2009-04-23 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2105901

User image

Expert
Chicago
Nik - Way to push through the mental funk to get a solid distance in the books. Whenever you're able to get yourself through a workout when you're not mentally in the game, you're pushing yourself in a totally different way. Nice job sticking it through.

You may want to take a look at these swim videos for working on breathing during the swim...
http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5218/freestyle---vary-your-breathing.h...
http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5337/freestyle---exhale-slowly.html

2009-04-23 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2106163

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-23 3:20 PM

calimavs - 2009-04-23 1:24 PM

Oh no! I'm really glad you're getting in with a doctor. Is this your primary care physician or a specialist? A lot of times local running groups (and even TNT) have the name of various doctors who are runners and triathletes and specialize with those types of injuries. It may not hurt to ask around if you need a second opinion after tomorrow.

Keep on relaxing and icing it. Sending you lots of hugs and recovery vibes!!

Thanks for the recovery vibes! I belong to Kaiser out here which is a big HMO so they are sending me to the injury/sports medicine clinic which is where I went last time. All the docs there are familiar with sports injuries and the doc I saw last time was fantastic so I think I'm in good hands. I'm hoping they take an x-ray since they didn't last time. I'll report back tomorrow with what the prognosis is.
2009-04-23 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2104266

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH

Name:  Cheryl Vasan / lovesreading

Story: I'm a 43yo married mom (kids aged 14, 13, 5, and 3).  My husband runs and is supportive of this new obsession of mine.  I also work fulltime as a children's librarian.

My freshman daughter inspired me to start lap swimming again last fall when she decided she wanted to join her school's swim team.  I swam in high school and did very occassional step and aerobics, but nothing else.  I've always hated hot, sweaty sports like running.  A bike wreck early college hospitalized me and made me very bike phobic.

Swimming went great.  I swam 3-5 times/week, starting at 500yds and working up to 2500yd workouts by January.  Then I discovered the joys of swimmer's shoulder.

A sports dr. put me into therapy and greatly reduced my yardage.  As a librarian, most of what I researched told me I'd volunteered for this tendonitis through overtraining and probably through poor technique.  I took a master's swim class that totally overhauled my stroke.  Swimming has changed bigtime since the 80s!!!

I still don't know how I got looking at triathlon sites.  Thank you, Google.

I know I was determined not to lose my hard-earned fitness and was looking into cross-training.  I found the Cincinnati One World Race where you get to swim in the Ohio River.  For some reason, this fired me up rather than horrified me and I started looking into training plans.  I found that sprint training could be done in just a little more time/week than I'd been swimming.  Then I found Cincy Express, our local multi-sport team and joined them online.

I ordered and read all the triathlon books I could find and started a plan for swimmers from My First Tri.  I Chose my first triathlon -- and, most importantly, told everyone that I was doing this so that I couldn't back out easily.  Fave book:  Slow, Fat Triathlete.

I switched plans to Gail Bernhart's 15 weeks to a Sprint for athletes of limited fitness - because I needed more running, more cycling and even less swimming.  I also did an indoor mini-sprint triathlon in February.

I'm bike phobic, terrified from my crash.  I'm also stubborn as hell and good at transforming that into perserverance.   Thank goodness for indoor trainers.  Pedalling in my gym shoes immediately made my toes go numb.  Our local tristore persuaded me that only stiff bike shoes would stop the numbness and that I might as well get clipless pedals as well.  This has focused my bike-phobia into clipophobia.  Falling over is my newest hobby and I've been "delighted" to find that I only bruise a leg on my bike  rather than crashing helmet-first into the ground.  I have however, seriously injured my dignity.  Then again, spandex, dignity all gone already...

Now I've done my first tri and met my personal goals.  I finished smiling and injury-free.  I didn't fall over stuck to my bike.  I finished under 2 hours, not last overall or in my agegroup.  I didn't walk during the 5K.

Current Training:  I'm using a training plan called "15 weeks to a faster sprint" from Training Plans for the Multi-sport Athlete by Gail Bernhart. I move the 6 days about to fit my weird library schedule with its nights and Saturdays.  Most of my workouts are before 7am or after 9:30pm due to work and family commitments.  My teenagers are getting much better at housework Laughing  I'm trying to join group rides weekly as my work schedule permits.  Not ready to be solo on a bike yet.

The plan assumes one A-level race at 15 weeks.  I'm doing about 1 sprint/month and have to figure out how I work those into a training schedule.

2008 Races:  None

2009 Races:  4/18 Miami University Sprint(indoor swim/hils/flat run)
                     5/      Ohio Challenge Sprint(Rudy Project)
                     7/      Caesar Creek Sprint
                     8/      East Fork Sprint

Weightloss:  I lost my postbaby fat last year with WeightWatchers (yay!).  I'm holding steady with sprint training, but am thrilled that my baby belly is gradually flattening.  If I'd known bike and run would do that, I would have started years ago!  This is definitely one of the reasons that my husband is so supportive.  Nutrition-wise, I'm pretty clueless.  I did eat some GU gels for the race though.

Current challenges:

Road fear.
Clipophobia - can't get my right foot out fast enough
sore hip muscles after every run - (saw the dr today, probably a technique issue, not bursitis)
altering a one-race training plan to fit a multi-race schedule
Filing my first race report

2009-04-23 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2105813

User image

Austin, Texas
roadrhino - 2009-04-23 2:08 PM 
Also, I'm interested in incorporating yoga into my training. I've never done yoga before. I'm a little handcuffed to resorting to videos because I can't justify paying a full-price gym membership to do their yoga classes twice a week. I would welcome any suggestions from all of you about yoga and recommendations for good at-home videos. At this point...2 weeks out...should I wait until I finish the upcoming tri before starting yoga or would it be ok to work it in now?

I've been enjoying the YOGAmazing video podcasts quite a bit.  The yoga for runners episode is the one I do the most, though I'm going to try the yoga for cyclists tonight for the first time since I finally got on my bike today.  I love that it's free (though after awhile episodes drop off iTunes, but you can still purchase old episodes from his site).  And it's great that I can do it anytime so it's easier to schedule it into my day.

Each episode is about 20-30 minutes long.  And Chaz, the instructor, often will give examples of how to do an easier position, or a more challenging one.  And he's super receptive to ideas for new episodes.  Earlier this week I suggested a yoga for fencers for my daughter, and he's already done recording it and it's going up this weekend. 

Working in yoga before your tri might be a nice things to do.  If you're tapering, you might feel antsy with your extra time and energy.  Yoga might help with that.  And the extra stretching would feel good.  Just take it slow, and don't push your body. 
2009-04-23 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2105342

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
x2 on falling removing the fear.  Falling because my right foot is stuck is my newest hobby.  I was terrified of the clips.  I thought when I fell, I'd whack my head on the ground.  So far, each time I've fallen I've only gotten a new bruise on the leg stuck under the bike and only 1 minor minor knee scrape.  No head banging.  The falling has been more like a slo mo sideways topple, not a movie special effect.  I think the best thing I did was finally fall.  Falling safely on purpose somewhere soft sounds pretty smart.

The clips help me so much on the hills I can't believe it.  Hills that I had to walk up with gym shoes and regular pedals I can cruise up with the clipless pedals.  I've decided they're worth it even though I still have to psych up a minute or two before I clip in.

I started with dual purpose pedals (one side regular, one side clipless) but switched to Speedplays partly to pamper my right ankle, but more because whatever pedal side I wanted to use was always the side facing the ground.  My Speedplay's look like lollipops --which tickles my 5 year old to death.

2009-04-23 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2105901

User image

Austin, Texas
hippotude - 2009-04-23 2:40 PM Hello everyone,

Because I was not mentally into it, I stuggled through the entire swim.  I found myself constantly talking myself out of quitting the entire time.  I was ready to wave the white flag and come back another day but I didn't and I pushed through.

Great job getting through your swim today.  Every time I get through another crappy workout, I think to myself that I can at least look back on that experience during a tough part of a race and realize I can get through the hard parts too. 
2009-04-23 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2106361

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
lovesreading - 2009-04-23 4:26 PM

Current challenges:

Road fear.
Clipophobia - can't get my right foot out fast enough
sore hip muscles after every run - (saw the dr today, probably a technique issue, not bursitis)
altering a one-race training plan to fit a multi-race schedule
Filing my first race report

I think we'll be able to commiserate a lot together Cheryl. I'm right there with ya in terms of clipophobia and hip pain!
2009-04-23 5:49 PM
in reply to: #2106515

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the props...I am glad I did not give up.  I feel much better than if I would have thrown in the towel this morning. 

I have to admit part of the reason I stayed in the pool and finished the workout is because Tif finished her swim and my competitive nature would not allow me to do less than her...also, she was really awesome about pushing me at the end and helping me get through it.

Hope the shins feel better soon...however, the bike rides are my favorite things...so having an excuse to ride is a good thing.
2009-04-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2105624

User image

Austin, Texas
RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-23 1:05 PM  Aside from rest, are you doing anything to help with your shin pain? Keeping things low-impact with biking and swimming is a good start. But you may want to look into icing and stretching as well. If you think you've got shin splints flaring up, you may want to start incorporating calf raises into your daily regime and make sure you're stretching adequately AFTER your workouts. When was the last time you had a bike tune up? If you haven't been in the saddle for a while you may want to have a local bike shop take a look to make sure everything is lubed up and running smoothly! Let us know how this afternoon's swim goes!! Starting with the TI drills will hopefully help you see a difference during a main set of straight-through swimming. I've found that paying attention to the breathing drills and balancing drills that focus on driving your hips with each catch & pull have been most beneficial for me.

I always stretch after every run.  But I'll try the calf raises and the ice.  I just finished my two highest mileage weeks, 30 miles each week.  That might have something to do with the shin. BTW, I know what kinds of stretches to do after a run, but what do you do after a ride?  Is it as important?  The stretching helps so much with how I feel the next day.  

I know it's been a couple years since my bike's been into the shop.  It's overdue.

The swim was fine.  I tried the first TI drill, but got all anxious being in a lap lane and moving so slowly.  I need to come back to the pool when there's an open swim time and I can get my husband to help a bit.  But I got 900 yards done.  So the felt good.  Any good tips on how to keep track of how many laps you've done? 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 26