BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-05-05 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2113192

New user

Montreal
Subject: RE: jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed
Afternoon everyone,

I’ve been away for a couple of days. I slowly started back last week into my new revised schedule (which was working out great) but unfortunately that didn’t last very long. I started to feel sick again and the doctor confirmed this morning that I have bronchitis again. So no exercising at all till next Tuesday. I can’t believe this. I’m really worried that I won’t be able to catch up. I feel like I will be starting all over! It’s been almost 3 weeks that I couldn’t train and now another week.

Jesse do you think it will take my body a while to adjust once I start training again? Last week when I was running I found my legs to feel really heavy, I guess that’s normal?
So for the next week I figure Ill work on my schedule i,e, what drills to do during swimming, what intervals to do during biking, work on my nutrition?

Jesse, hows your training coming along?

I’m really enjoying everybody’s posts, I’m learning so much!

Cheryl

2009-05-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2131316

User image

Regular
cher - 2009-05-05 11:20 AM Afternoon everyone, I’ve been away for a couple of days. I slowly started back last week into my new revised schedule (which was working out great) but unfortunately that didn’t last very long. I started to feel sick again and the doctor confirmed this morning that I have bronchitis again. So no exercising at all till next Tuesday. I can’t believe this. I’m really worried that I won’t be able to catch up. I feel like I will be starting all over! It’s been almost 3 weeks that I couldn’t train and now another week. Jesse do you think it will take my body a while to adjust once I start training again? Last week when I was running I found my legs to feel really heavy, I guess that’s normal? So for the next week I figure Ill work on my schedule i,e, what drills to do during swimming, what intervals to do during biking, work on my nutrition? Jesse, hows your training coming along? I’m really enjoying everybody’s posts, I’m learning so much! Cheryl

Cheryl,

I am very sorry to hear that.  That is very frustrating!  You get motivated and then another set back.

This will be a little setback but the good news is that your important race is still a while away.   I would still caution to start back off slow when you start back up again so that you don't get injured.  Maybe a little in each sport just to train the muscles again.

Did your doctor mention taking a bronchodilators?  I have no idea what that is other than something I am sure that will help your cough.  Maybe you can do some light biking or something.  But, again, your doctor should know best.

Your legs were probably heavy because you were just getting back into it after 3 weeks correct?  I would assume that is it.  I really want you to look up a few posts at what Carter and I were discussing.  Find your cadence rate.  Then try to get to close to 90.  Short and quick steps.  

I wouldn't do any intervals next week coming off of what you have been going through for the month.  Let's just get back on track with some basic workouts...get the muscles moving again... get super motivated.  Focus on the cadence in running.  I would consider focusing on the cadence in biking too - should be around 90.  

Swimming - If you have a camera where you can record yourself that would be great.  Obviously it won't be underwater which is the most important.  But, you'll get an idea of some of the things you need to improve on from the above view.  I have a bench at my pool - so I'll take my camera and set it on the bench while I do a 100.  If you want to forward it to me I'll be glad to take a look.  (Cheryl keep looking at all the posts on swimming - the videos and articles are invaluable tools).

Jesse

2009-05-05 11:38 AM

User image

Regular
ON SWIMMING VIDEOS:

I mentioned to Cheryl that I would be happy to look at swimming videos and critique them.

"Swimming - If you have a camera where you can record yourself that would be great.  Obviously it won't be underwater which is the most important.  But, you'll get an idea of some of the things you need to improve on from the above view.  I have a bench at my pool - so I'll take my camera and set it on the bench while I do a 100.  If you want to forward it to me I'll be glad to take a look."

This might give me a better idea of what each person needs to do to improve.

Jesse 
2009-05-05 2:13 PM

User image

Regular
Boston
Hi Jesse - I did my "homework" today. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill. I don't like running on the treadmill, but today it is windy and raining. I counted 4 different times during the 3 miles.

168 (counted one foot for 30 sec: 42 * 2 * 2)

I am going to do this again on my next run outside.

2009-05-05 2:44 PM

New user

Montreal
Hi Jesse,

It is very frustrating but it’s just a small set back will be on track shortly ?

Because of the Bronchitis I have been dealing with asthma for the last 3 weeks. I’m on two types of bronchodilators, more antibiotics and now pills to relax my lungs because they’re so tight. I asked my doctor about doing at least one of the sports and he recommends not training at all or I could end up in the hospital, oh well, I tried! ?

I will start slow next week; will check in with you to see what my approach will be, once I start.
I will have my husband film my swim next week at the pool and send it to you; it will be great to get your input. I know I need lots of help in this area.

I’m not sure what you mean by cadence in biking too - should be around 90? I will go back and read the posts about swimming and running.

Thanks again for all your help!
Cheryl
2009-05-05 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2131974

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-05-05 2:13 PM Hi Jesse - I did my "homework" today. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill. I don't like running on the treadmill, but today it is windy and raining. I counted 4 different times during the 3 miles.

168 (counted one foot for 30 sec: 42 * 2 * 2)

I am going to do this again on my next run outside.

Michelle,

Yup, definitely do on your next run outside!  Make you you are nice and warmed up and doing your normal average sort of run. 

Then post results.  I don't want to suggest changing anything without getting that outside number first.  

Jesse

2009-05-05 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2132081

User image

Regular
cher - 2009-05-05 2:44 PM Hi Jesse, It is very frustrating but it’s just a small set back will be on track shortly ? Because of the Bronchitis I have been dealing with asthma for the last 3 weeks. I’m on two types of bronchodilators, more antibiotics and now pills to relax my lungs because they’re so tight. I asked my doctor about doing at least one of the sports and he recommends not training at all or I could end up in the hospital, oh well, I tried! ? I will start slow next week; will check in with you to see what my approach will be, once I start. I will have my husband film my swim next week at the pool and send it to you; it will be great to get your input. I know I need lots of help in this area. I’m not sure what you mean by cadence in biking too - should be around 90? I will go back and read the posts about swimming and running. Thanks again for all your help! Cheryl

Cher - don't hesitate to pop in and ask as many question as you need to even if you are not working out.  

I look forward to the swimming video.

On biking you really want to be able to get up around a 90 cadence as well.   This means how many rotations each leg will have in one minute.   A lot of bike computers nowadays have cadence meters that will tell you what your RPM (rotations per minute) is.  (I must state that there are different opinions on the subject - and there are some awesome triathletes that don't pedal anywhere near 90 cadence - but on the whole more often than not the vast majority of good triathletes use higher cadence).   My cadence on my fast rides is in the high 90's (95 - 100).

Jesse 
2009-05-05 6:13 PM

Boston
Hi Jesse
I counted my steps while running - I got 162. It may be a little off - my watch broke, so I was using my Ipod to time it, plus it was dark and rainy. I will do it again next time I am out - hopefully with a working watch!

Today I ran a 3 mile at 28 minutes. I felt great after the first 1.5 mile, but once I hit the 2 I started to slow down a bit. I walked 2x's for no more than 30 seconds each, then got right back into it.
Yesterday I also had a great workout - swim. It was the first time I felt really comfortable in the water. I think I swam a little over 1000m pretty consistently. I really focused on regulating my breathing and trying to keep my body as horizontal as possible. I have a question about the swim - my pool is only about 25m and I don't do flip turns (haven't gotten up the courage to try it). Is the length and the constant stop in momentum going to affect my progress?

I am kind of dreading getting out on the bike this week - It is supposed to rain almost all week. Any suggestions for riding in the rain?
Thanks - Christina
2009-05-06 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2132571

User image

Regular
dragonfly253 - 2009-05-05 6:13 PM Hi Jesse
I counted my steps while running - I got 162. It may be a little off - my watch broke, so I was using my Ipod to time it, plus it was dark and rainy. I will do it again next time I am out - hopefully with a working watch!

Today I ran a 3 mile at 28 minutes. I felt great after the first 1.5 mile, but once I hit the 2 I started to slow down a bit. I walked 2x's for no more than 30 seconds each, then got right back into it.
Yesterday I also had a great workout - swim. It was the first time I felt really comfortable in the water. I think I swam a little over 1000m pretty consistently. I really focused on regulating my breathing and trying to keep my body as horizontal as possible. I have a question about the swim - my pool is only about 25m and I don't do flip turns (haven't gotten up the courage to try it). Is the length and the constant stop in momentum going to affect my progress?

I am kind of dreading getting out on the bike this week - It is supposed to rain almost all week. Any suggestions for riding in the rain?
Thanks - Christina

Christina,

Cool - we get to cover a lot of things.

1 - The Run - Your 160 ish cadence tells me that you definitely need to pick your cadence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoUoyBCB1Kg

Here is a good video to watch.  Focus on relaxation and high cadence.  When I first started to do this I focused on thinking to myself "quick feet."  I would actually say this to myself every now and then as a reminder to keep my feet moving quickly.  So, try a few of the things out in this video.  Get that Cadence up to at least the high 170's.  Close to 180 if you can.  Once you do this it will become natural and you'll have a nice sold base to start from to work in intervals and so forth.

I must caution that there are no quick solutions.  It might take you 2 - 3 weeks of running like this to have it feel natural.  But, when it does you'll be transformed as a runner.

2 - That swim is awesome!  1000m is great.  My opinion on such a long set like that is try to focus on something every 100m.  So, maybe the first 200m is just warm up trying to get into a rhythm, then the next 100m could be alternate breathing where you focus on not lifting the head up too much (not rotating too much), then the next 100m you could only breathe right side, then the next 100m only breathe left side, then 100m where you lenthen your stroke out, etc. etc.   But, great!

Keep your body horizontal is really a huge factor in swimming.  It is something you'll continually improve on.  One you get the balance correct you'll have to use very little of your legs in order to keep your body horizontal.  I would find the videos that I have posted and keep watching what they do... head position, great arm catch, relaxed, nice push through the water (all the way through the water towards your butt).

Flip Turns:  It isn't vital that you do flip turns.  Just turn really quick and try not to hang on to the wall and try not to take any extra breaths.  That being said I would recommend to everyone to learn a basic flip turn.  My turns are ugly (at least I think they are) but they make me a better swimmer.  

Christina - just go to YouTube or one of the swimming URL's that I posted earlier and search for "how to do a flip turn."  You'll find some great videos.  Once they explain it you'll find it much easier.  Then just do them towards the end of your workout.  I wouldn't practice them at the beginning or during important sets - you don't want to get frustrated Laughing

So, to sum up - learn some flip turns.  They will make you better Laughing

3 - Biking and rain.  I usually don't ride in the rain Sealed.  But, that shouldn't stop you.  But, if it is raining hard maybe go on the trainer at the gym (if possible).  I have a trainer in my garage that I just put my bike into when it is raining.   But, that being said, a lot of people ride in the rain and you should practice as it could be raining on your tri day.  Just be careful!

Regards,

Jesse

2009-05-06 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
Boston
Hi All,

I am looking to get a reasonably priced bike computer. Does anyone have any recommendations? Do you recommend getting one with the cadence feature? Does anyone like/dislike the wireless type?

I've read many reviews on BT and other websites and am leaning towards either the
Cateye CC-RD200 Strada Cadence Bicycle Computer or the Cateye Strada Wireless Bicycle Computer. Does anyone recommend either of these or have another one they would rec?

Thanks!
Michelle
2009-05-06 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2134142

User image

Orange Park, Fl
www.nasbar.com
www.performancebike.com

I just checked nashbar and they have some on sale. 

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_231518_-1_201373_10000_201374

Normally 150.00 and on sale for 90.00

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=4110

Hope this helps

Edited by Carter_83 2009-05-06 12:15 PM

2009-05-06 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2134142

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-05-06 11:55 AM Hi All,

I am looking to get a reasonably priced bike computer. Does anyone have any recommendations? Do you recommend getting one with the cadence feature? Does anyone like/dislike the wireless type?

I've read many reviews on BT and other websites and am leaning towards either the
Cateye CC-RD200 Strada Cadence Bicycle Computer or the Cateye Strada Wireless Bicycle Computer. Does anyone recommend either of these or have another one they would rec?

Thanks!
Michelle

Michelle - I do have a Cateye Wireless (can't remember which model) on one of my bikes and it has everything I need.   Either model is probably fine - I just don't like wires.  But, that is just me Laughing

Edited by jesse_d 2009-05-06 12:23 PM
2009-05-06 12:32 PM

User image

Regular
REITERATION ON PRACTICING OWS:

Someone posting on main board.

"I am new to the sport and have been training the last two months for the captextri olympic distance which is in 3 weeks. This past weekend I decided to do a sprint distance to see how it felt and the swim was a lot harder than I expected. I have been swimming 2500 meters in a pool two to three times a week but this was my first time in open water and also my first time with other people. The swim was only 500 meters but I didn't even think I was going to make it. I pretty much dog paddled the last 400 meters and I was breathing extremely heavy. What can I do to be ready for the 1500 meter open water swim in 3 weeks? Is this something that happens to most people on  their first swim?" 

You see this same thing over and over again.  People that can swim their butts off in the pool but just have a really rough time in their first OWS.  I just wanted to relay this story so that everyone training for their first tri gets in some OWS practice at least a few times before their race.  And preferably with a few other swimmers.   
2009-05-07 7:35 AM

User image

Orange Park, Fl
Need help with structured swim training. Swimming is my weakest event and I need to work on it the most. I just started swim training a day before joining the mentor group, so I have not did any kind of swim training in about 15 yrs. I know I have a lot to work on. I am ok on the run and bike. Right now I am comitting to 3 days of swimming. I do not have a training session committed to just swimming. I do swimming first on Sat followed by a run and on Mon. and Wed. it is after a run.

Current:
150 - warm-up
100 - regular
50 - kickboard
50 - regular
50 - kickboard
50 - allout for half a lap then slow down and then all out half a lap and then slow down.

What do I need to work on and if you can provide a training plan to follow or give options.

Thanks

Edited by Carter_83 2009-05-07 7:36 AM
2009-05-07 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2135851

User image

Regular
Carter_83 - 2009-05-07 7:35 AM Need help with structured swim training. Swimming is my weakest event and I need to work on it the most. I just started swim training a day before joining the mentor group, so I have not did any kind of swim training in about 15 yrs. I know I have a lot to work on. I am ok on the run and bike. Right now I am comitting to 3 days of swimming. I do not have a training session committed to just swimming. I do swimming first on Sat followed by a run and on Mon. and Wed. it is after a run.

Current:
150 - warm-up
100 - regular
50 - kickboard
50 - regular
50 - kickboard
50 - allout for half a lap then slow down and then all out half a lap and then slow down.

What do I need to work on and if you can provide a training plan to follow or give options.

Thanks

Carter - swimming is by far the toughest thing to try to give suggestions on just because I don't have a way to see what you are doing - so I don't know exactly the things you need improvement on.

Let me give a few different options:

1 - Lessons.   I think lessons are a great idea for any swimmer.  However, there are all kinds of different coaches out there - some great and some not so great.  So, if you do decide to take some lessons maybe you can find their credentials or get a recommendation from someone.

2 - Video.  If you can video yourself (even from above water) I can definitely take a look and give better input.

3 - General.  With that said I would focus a majority of your time in the pool working on technique.   Meaning, don't do too many intervals until you have some decent technique down.  Also, I wouldn't do too many long sets (400+) because you may just be reinforcing back techniques by doing that.

As far as what to work on:  I can only reiterate, after many failed attempts doing many things, that what worked for me was trying to isolate my top from my bottom during some technique sets.  What I mean by this is that if you use fins (but don't kick) or a pull buoy you'll keep your legs up and balanced and this will allow you to really focus on your upper body.  Then you can focus on the proper arm placement, catch, pull, recovery, and rotation. 

So, maybe you take a 200 to just work on your catch.  Find some videos (posted) about good catch prior to that workout.  Really watch good swimmers and try to copy them.

Then you can work on extending your arm out before it hits the water.  Same thing with video and copying.

(Side note:  don't forget that reinforcing positive behavior (muscle memory) may take a while.  You may find that if you only work on your catch for an entire week - and nothing else - that you'll get more benefit in the long run than trying to cram too many different improvements into a single week.  But, this is just one school of thought - there are many)

BUT - don't forget your legs.   Like you have been doing keep working on improving your legs (flutter kick), dolphin kicks, etc.   T

Then you can combine the two.

Keep watching videos of good swimmers - I found this really valuable.   Be mindful that a strong swimmer doing 100M in the Olympics is using a lot more of everything than you are. For example, don't try to copy their kick  - they are only going 100M.  Laughing

I hope this helps a little. 
2009-05-07 9:13 AM

User image

Regular
To add:

So something like:

100 - 150 Warm up
100 Fins Upper Catch Drill
100 Legs Drill
100 Fins Upper Catch Drill
100 Legs Drill
100 Work on perfect technique
50 one arm drill
50 one arm drill
50 Shark Drill
etc etc

That sort of thing would work for a short workout.

At this stage in the game there is no wrong.  Without looking at your tech you just want to find a good core group of 4 - 5 drills and keep hammering them until your body reacts.

I really like single arm drills (if done properly).  They really help me isolate the differences between my left and right side.

Jesse 

2009-05-07 6:58 PM

Boston
This is a question for everybody -
How do you all deal with crazy schedules and training and keeping yourself motivated?

I'm working 2 jobs and don't get home til 8 on many nights and my weekends are jam-packed. I know some of you are parents and have full-time jobs - How do you do it?
I am not a morning person at all - I have tried time and time again to get up in the morning to train with no success...

Hope you all are well.
- Christina
2009-05-07 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2137569

User image

Regular
Boston
Hi Christina,

I am working mom and even before momhood I have always put excercise as a daily task - kind of like brushing my teeth! But I do find that if I don't do it first thing in the morning on the weekends then I won't get to it! I try to make a schedule and plan ahead. I can relate I am NOT a morning person either. I do have the motivation of my husband - actually I think I am his motivator. That helps!

I see your location is Boston? Where are you? If you are close to South Shore and are looking for a S/R/B buddy - let me know!

2009-05-08 11:08 AM

Boston
That's a good strategy. I try to schedule it into my day as best I can, but lately it seems like my schedule changes all too often.

I am about an hour out of Boston - by Norwood, Foxboro and Wrentham. I would definately love to buddy up - especially for bike and ows. I think part of my problem is not feeling a ton of motivational support from the people around me. Hopefully we can coordinate schedules!
Best - Christina
2009-05-08 11:26 AM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Well, I've been pretty bad this week.  My whole plan of waking up early to do runs did not work out at all.  And I don't even have kids!  My conflicts are generally work or going out with friends.  So I decided to make an inspirational collage of all my favorite athletes and famous people that motivate me.  I'm going to put it right next to my bed so I have to see it when I wake up.  I'll let you know how it works. Smile 

--
Nikki
2009-05-08 2:55 PM

User image

Regular
I have a great wife and 2 kids (2 and 4).  

I do all my training in the mornings - or my wife would kill me.

I wake up at 5:05 AM - Get back into the house at 7:30 - 7:40.  I take my oldest to school.

I work from 9 - 5 M-TH.  I am lucky on that account - that I get Friday's off.  

I also take Sat off (family time).

2009-05-09 10:02 AM

User image

Orange Park, Fl

I did a 23 miles bike ride this am and then tried to do a 3 mile run. I ended up doing only 2 miles. My legs felt like they weighed a thousand lbs. Had to stop and walk. I assume with more training it will get better. Should I cut the ride shorter or keep it the same and then try to run the 3 miles.

2009-05-09 4:47 PM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Hey, so I finally counted my steps running.  I did it twice for 30 seconds and got 83 both times, so I guess my number is 166.  Just wanted to post it before I forgot.  Off to do my long run now!

--
Nikki
2009-05-10 7:58 PM

Boston
Hope you all had a good weekend!

I went to watch the New England Season Opener today and really relieved some of my nerves. I am very excited to get into my first tri now that I have seen it in action.

Jesse - I think I misunderstood when you asked about clipless/not clipless pedals. I was just looking online and found that clipless pedals are clip-in pedals. I do not have these, I just have the regular bike pedal with no cages and I am using regular sneakers. After watching the race today, I saw the majority of people had the clipless pedals. Is the efficiency really that much better?
They seemed to cause a lot of frustration at the beginning of the bike - there where several spills as people tried to mount the bike and get going.

I counted my steps again - this time I got 174. I watched the video you suggested, it helped A Lot!! Once I watched it I really understood what you meant by "quick feet". I will keep working on it!! Thanks.
Take Care!!
Christina

2009-05-11 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2140380

User image

Regular
Carter_83 - 2009-05-09 10:02 AM

I did a 23 miles bike ride this am and then tried to do a 3 mile run. I ended up doing only 2 miles. My legs felt like they weighed a thousand lbs. Had to stop and walk. I assume with more training it will get better. Should I cut the ride shorter or keep it the same and then try to run the 3 miles.

Carter - that is awesome.   I wouldn't necessarily cut the rider shorter.  And BTW it is really normal for the legs to feel like dead weight after a ride Laughing   What usually happens is you just take those quick steps and keep working through it and eventually (after about a mile) your legs start to come back.   If this isn't happening now it will has you get in better and better shape.

The other thing you can do is what I do most of the time on my long ride days which is run first and then bike.  And maybe every so often do a bike/run brick just to get your legs used to it.   I do bike/run bricks just about every week but that is just because that is the way my schedule works out.   But, I really only do a tough ride and then a run every other week or so.

Kudos though!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14