BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2009-12-22 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2571878

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Full...
wbayek - 2009-12-21 6:35 PM
We got a remnant of that storm.  Snowblowers are the key to life!

We'll have to compare notes.  My A race is a mid September 70.3 in Maine, so we'll be training toward the same time frame.  I'm trying to focus on running this winter, with a half marathon in April to give me something to shoot for.

Warren,
Absolutely... sounds like we'll both be peaking/tapering at the same time.  Do you have a particular training program you'll be following?  I did the 20-week HIM program from this site for my HIM this year.  I altered it so that my day off during the week always fell on the weekend (kept the peace with the family!).  I would plan in some tapering prior to my other races and a day or two of rest after each race.  I've been also doing running/biking this winter, but mostly light stuff.  I was pretty burned out after last season, so I needed some down time.  I'm ready to ramp it back up in early Jan!
Bill

2009-12-22 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2572914

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I am on the same schedule as you guys. Hopefully, peaking for an IM on September 25th.  If I can't build mileage up by then, I will do an HIM on Sept. 25th.  Would love to hear your training plans for the season to see how far off mine is.
2009-12-22 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2572152

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
aarondavidson - 2009-12-21 9:44 AM

Following sleep the next best thing is post workout nutrition. You need to get some protein and carbs in after workouts. Immediately following is ideal, 5mins is great, within 30minutes is clutch. 1% chocolate milk is good because it contains the near ideal 4:1 protein to carb ratio.

This is a tough thing for me...struggling with weight control, we are taught to limit our calories, but in order to recover correctly, we should immediately upon finishing a workout, consume a bunch of calories. I also am NOT interested in food right after a workout (the thought almost makes me gag)...would 8 oz of chocolate milk after each workout be sufficient? What are the benefits?

Thoughts?

(Everyone ready for the holidays? I'm not. Haven't even wrapped any presents. Christmas Eve looks like it's going to be a late night)
2009-12-22 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2574091

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-22 5:30 PM
aarondavidson - 2009-12-21 9:44 AM

Following sleep the next best thing is post workout nutrition. You need to get some protein and carbs in after workouts. Immediately following is ideal, 5mins is great, within 30minutes is clutch. 1% chocolate milk is good because it contains the near ideal 4:1 protein to carb ratio.

This is a tough thing for me...struggling with weight control, we are taught to limit our calories, but in order to recover correctly, we should immediately upon finishing a workout, consume a bunch of calories. I also am NOT interested in food right after a workout (the thought almost makes me gag)...would 8 oz of chocolate milk after each workout be sufficient? What are the benefits?

Thoughts?

(Everyone ready for the holidays? I'm not. Haven't even wrapped any presents. Christmas Eve looks like it's going to be a late night)

You don't need to consume a whole bunch of calories post workout, and most people only do liquid.  I can't eat food after a workout either.  It's actually the best time get some calories in - your body is  in a unique state to absorb certain types of calories, particular high GI carbs, right after a workout (and right when you wake up, by the way).  So that's when it's best to eat sugar if you crave it.  The protein is required for some other reasons, and the fat is actually essential too.  Depending on the level of the workout, a few hundred calories is perfect, so yes just 8 oz of chocolate milk is a big boost to recovery. 

Chocolate milk is great because it's easy and cheap, and it tastes great!  Just as a quick side note, if you're really working to lose weight (fat) be careful not to cut your calories too much, particularly while you workout.  One of the biggest mistakes people make is to cut calories too much, which lowers metabolism, which requires less calories, which lowers metabolism ...  It can be an ugly cycle.

I'm no expert, but I do some nutrition consulting to personal trainers, so I could bore you to death with hours of nutrition advice for athletes.  In that role I'm focused more on weight lifter types.  Most of the concepts are the same, but endurance athletes can benefit from very different macro nutrient ratios than those interested in just gaining muscle and losing fat.

2009-12-22 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
in regards to the types of chocolate milk you drink:  are you using premaid choc. milk, adding Hershey's syrup or a powder like Nesquick?

I was reading the side panel of Nesquick and it claims there is less sugar than other brands and syrups - not that it makes a difference I guess if you are drinking it as a recovery drink - maybe only in calories overall and sugar.

But, is there one you prefer for different reasons? I'm sure I will stick with the powder form because we can get it at Costco, but just curious what everyone else thinks?
2009-12-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2574212

User image

NH
barelfly - 2009-12-22 6:53 PM in regards to the types of chocolate milk you drink:  are you using premaid choc. milk, adding Hershey's syrup or a powder like Nesquick?

I was reading the side panel of Nesquick and it claims there is less sugar than other brands and syrups - not that it makes a difference I guess if you are drinking it as a recovery drink - maybe only in calories overall and sugar.

But, is there one you prefer for different reasons? I'm sure I will stick with the powder form because we can get it at Costco, but just curious what everyone else thinks?

The sugar is exactly what you want, at least some of it.  Check the carb:protein ratio, as Aaron said shoot for 4:1.  A low sugar mixture might not have the carbs you need.  The best time when it's ok (or better at least) to have simple sugars is post intense workout.   It's the one time you can splurge!  And the next best is after a fast - like in the morning after you haven't eaten all night.  Though don't get carried away at either time.  I do both premaid and syrup.  I also actually make a drink sometimes with a maltodextrin sugar based powder and protein.

2009-12-22 8:40 PM

User image

Elite

I am not a big fan of chocolate, but I use hershey syrup because that is what I have around because my daughter loves chocolate milk. It is easy and cheap.

2009-12-23 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2574413

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2009-12-22 9:40 PM

I am not a big fan of chocolate, but I use hershey syrup because that is what I have around because my daughter loves chocolate milk. It is easy and cheap.

Not a fan of chocolate?  You're a lucky one!

Aaron, how do you feel about full off-days for rest?  I noticed you had an off day in the swim focus week you showed us.  Assume for now I'm shooting for 7-9 workouts a week, including everything (4 run, 3 bike, 2 weights).  Is it better to double up and have a day or two completely off, or keep mostly one a days and not have a full day off, but maybe have some days with just weights, for instance?
2009-12-23 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2574413

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
aarondavidson - 2009-12-22 8:40 PM

I've heard that men who eat chocolate live longer.  I should be pretty much immortal by now.  Love my post workout chocolate milk or two.
2009-12-23 4:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
checked the Nesquick  today - it was High Fructose Sugar that is not added compared to other brands. I guess that's good...but it's 180 calories and 9g of protein for 1cup of choc. milk.  this is 2% that I drink. I do know it tastes goooooood after a workout!

my wife came home today with a big ol' container of it from Costco! it made my day!
2009-12-23 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2575950

User image

NH
barelfly - 2009-12-23 5:56 PM checked the Nesquick  today - it was High Fructose Sugar that is not added compared to other brands. I guess that's good...but it's 180 calories and 9g of protein for 1cup of choc. milk.  this is 2% that I drink. I do know it tastes goooooood after a workout!

my wife came home today with a big ol' container of it from Costco! it made my day!

Awesome!  The biggest problem with chocolate milk for me is that it's gone every day when the kids get home from school.  Maybe if I get them training at least they could call it recovery drink...

2009-12-23 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2574703

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2009-12-23 7:53 AM
aarondavidson - 2009-12-22 9:40 PM

Not a fan of chocolate?  You're a lucky one!

Aaron, how do you feel about full off-days for rest?  I noticed you had an off day in the swim focus week you showed us.  Assume for now I'm shooting for 7-9 workouts a week, including everything (4 run, 3 bike, 2 weights).  Is it better to double up and have a day or two completely off, or keep mostly one a days and not have a full day off, but maybe have some days with just weights, for instance?

It all depends on how your body reacts. I typically take rest days most of the time now only because I can not get a workout in. What I previously posted was what I was supposed to do. I often could not double up and spread out the workouts some. Doubling up is great, just try to get one workout in the morning and the 2nd 6-8hours later if possible so you can recover some.

2009-12-23 10:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Jennifer, based on my glimpse of the volume of training you are doing, I'd expect the weight to drop pretty consistently. I don't double up as much as you and I still have a hard time eating enough healthy stuff to keep my weight on even doing 5 meals a day. I'm certainly less knowledgeable than the other people here but maybe a suggestion which they can correct me on if I'm off base.

Two things, I'm eating more frequently so maybe that helps keep my body from going into conservation mode and getting really efficient like Aaron mentioned.

The second difference may be that I'm pretty well muscled so the way I understand it is that my base metabolic rate would be higher since muscle at rest still consumes calories. Near as I can figure, my base rate burns 2400 calories per day at rest so any workouts I do come on top of that. I haven't seen any weight stuff in your logs, so maybe consider adding some of the strength work and build up a bit of lean muscle tissue to burn some extra calories when not exercising.

I don't have a garmin or body bug or anything so I rough guestimate about 1000 cal/hour during exercise...sometimes it will be higher or lower based on level of exertion. If half the muscle mass reduces the base rate by half (/shrug I don't know how much) then I'd have to exercise 1.2 hours more just to make up for the lost base calories. So I figured somewhere back along the way that it was better to raise my base metabolic rate and exercise cardio than just to do cardio alone.

I'm sure I botched that explanation but others can help out or correct me if I'm off base.
2009-12-24 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I am headed out to N.M. for Christmas where we have no internet, and barely any phone reception.  Have a great Christmas, and I will see ya'll next year.  Thanks for all of the positive feedback, ya'll are great.

Ray
2009-12-24 11:02 AM

User image

NH
Have a great Christmas everyone.  Enjoy your families or whoever you spend this time with.  Thanks for all the support.
2009-12-24 10:08 PM

User image

Elite

Happy holidays to everyone. If anyone has any ideas on how I can specifically help the group let me know. Any writeups, or basic ideas for laying out your season.

2009-12-25 5:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
hope everyone had a great Christmas holiday!!!!

eating was the theme for my family!!! way too much food. but it was so gooooo.

I'll have to break in my new Ksyrium Elite wheels on the bike tomorrow to burn off the lbs I put on!
2009-12-26 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2577745

User image

NH
barelfly - 2009-12-25 6:56 PM hope everyone had a great Christmas holiday!!!!

eating was the theme for my family!!! way too much food. but it was so gooooo.

I'll have to break in my new Ksyrium Elite wheels on the bike tomorrow to burn off the lbs I put on!

Sounds great - let us know how they are.  Hopefully Santa was good to everyone.

I couldn't wait to try out my new saddle - an Adamo to hopefully eliminate the groin numbness.  One hour and it worked great!
2009-12-26 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
hey guys.

so I got a Garmin FR 305 from the wife and kids and tested it out today. Kind of neat to put your efforts in place with the HR Zones. I haven't tested to get my own zones as of yet, but saw on the BT site there are basic zones to use, so I'm using that for now.

But my question - do any of you have a 305 or HRM and if so, do you just use BT Logs, or are you using Sports Tracks, or the software that comes with the 305/HRM?

Just wanting to see what everyone thinks of the different sites available. I'll continue to log info on this site, as its easy, but is there any other site that would benefit me?
2009-12-26 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2577394

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
aarondavidson - 2009-12-24 11:08 AM

If anyone has any ideas on how I can specifically help the group let me know. Any writeups, or basic ideas for laying out your season.

As a purely selfish request - I am trying to choose a plan for my training for the next season. I am currently a BT Silver member and while I haven't completed an Olympic tri yet - my training volume is higher than the average joe...so I'm not sure which training plan would be a good fit...maybe a discussion of how to choose a training plan - why one would work better than the next, as well as how to get the most out of a training plan.

Another (again, purely selfish) - how do you keep motivated to train each day? For me, I love the bike and run, but really struggle on the swim. The thought of getting into the car, going to the pool, freezing until I warm up, getting out of the pool and driving back home with frozen hair in the winter time to do the sport I like the least means that I tend to "sacrifice" that sport's training more often than the others...how do you overcome than sense of ennui? How do I get excited about swim training like I am about bike and run?

Thanks...if these aren't of interest to the others - please feel free to PM me.

Jennifer
2009-12-26 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2578314

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
barelfly - 2009-12-26 5:28 AM hey guys.

so I got a Garmin FR 305 from the wife and kids and tested it out today. Kind of neat to put your efforts in place with the HR Zones. I haven't tested to get my own zones as of yet, but saw on the BT site there are basic zones to use, so I'm using that for now.

But my question - do any of you have a 305 or HRM and if so, do you just use BT Logs, or are you using Sports Tracks, or the software that comes with the 305/HRM?

Just wanting to see what everyone thinks of the different sites available. I'll continue to log info on this site, as its easy, but is there any other site that would benefit me?

I have the 305, I use the BT logs pretty religiously - but have found the auto-upload feature doesn't work so well for me (I have a Mac and think that has a lot to do with it)...I LOVE the 305. I like how I can view the pace vs. elevation and then look at my heart rate over that to see when most of my effort is. I have heard great things about Sports Tracks, but it is only compatible with PCs, not Macs. (And at this point, I'd rather spend my $ on tri stuff instead of a computer ;-) )

Hope everyone had a nice holiday...the weather here was spectacular, but we're going to pay for it tomorrow with some freezing rain. I had a really nice trainer ride this afternoon while the kids were playing with the new stuff from yesterday. Cheers!

Jennifer

Edited by itsallrelative_Maine 2009-12-26 6:37 PM

2009-12-26 6:39 PM

User image

NH
Jennifer - it's ok to be selfish here, that's one of the things a mentor group is for!  I don't have time to really think about and answer right now, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.  Enjoy the weekend everyone.
2009-12-26 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2576345

User image

Elite

bfoyle - 2009-12-23 11:41 PM
I don't have a garmin or body bug or anything so I rough guestimate about 1000 cal/hour during exercise...sometimes it will be higher or lower based on level of exertion. If half the muscle mass reduces the base rate by half (/shrug I don't know how much) then I'd have to exercise 1.2 hours more just to make up for the lost base calories. So I figured somewhere back along the way that it was better to raise my base metabolic rate and exercise cardio than just to do cardio alone.

Sounds like you are over estimating calories burned. For running/walking/jogging most people tend to burn about 100calories/mile. However 'elite' athletes and many lighter women tend to burn more like 60calories per hour. Maybe 1000 calories for a real hard swim workout say 4000+yards in 1hour. Same with the bike unless you are  doing a 40k TT I would say 1000calories is pretty high.

2009-12-26 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2578314

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2009-12-26 5:28 PM hey guys.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. I love it. When it works. I have had problems with the unit charging and the base. I use the Garmin Training Center and when I had a higher level membership I would upload to BT. Honestly use BT's logs for everything. I have not found anything that beats it.

2009-12-26 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2578387

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-26 7:31 PM
aarondavidson - 2009-12-24 11:08 AM

If anyone has any ideas on how I can specifically help the group let me know. Any writeups, or basic ideas for laying out your season.

As a purely selfish request - I am trying to choose a plan for my training for the next season. I am currently a BT Silver member and while I haven't completed an Olympic tri yet - my training volume is higher than the average joe...so I'm not sure which training plan would be a good fit...maybe a discussion of how to choose a training plan - why one would work better than the next, as well as how to get the most out of a training plan.

Another (again, purely selfish) - how do you keep motivated to train each day? For me, I love the bike and run, but really struggle on the swim. The thought of getting into the car, going to the pool, freezing until I warm up, getting out of the pool and driving back home with frozen hair in the winter time to do the sport I like the least means that I tend to "sacrifice" that sport's training more often than the others...how do you overcome than sense of ennui? How do I get excited about swim training like I am about bike and run?

Thanks...if these aren't of interest to the others - please feel free to PM me.

Jennifer

Volume is just that...volume. More is always more, not necessarily better, its just more. One of the main benefits to a training plan is a taper, rest/recovery time. So you build, pull back, recover, build again, pull back. recover build even higher, pull back and then race. 

For the pool it could be a lack of structure. I find I am more motivated when I have specific workouts to complete. Honestly if you are a good swimmer or decent avg 1:45/100yards or faster you can probably skip swimming for the time being.

Or think about a masters group regardless of how fast you are. You will have a monetary commitment and once you start going and get to know people it will be something to look forward to do. I run/bike alone, so when I get to swim with people and interact it is nice.

The BT training plans are good. I would go with whichever more closely matches your current level of training / experience. Experience more along the lines of speed and overall years of training not just racing.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76