BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-12-18 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2566489

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED

Seren - 2009-12-18 9:59 AM
Dragonflyer - 2009-12-18 9:38 AM

Hurting??  Lots of days sometimes more than others but am learning to deal with it and maintain my sights on my goals-Hey, after all I am 56yrs old and should expect this pains here and there but have been blessed with very good health and motivation!  As far as supplements, my boys 34, 32, 27, 21 and 19yrs are into weights etc and are always suggesting me to try some but have refrained.  But, I keep going back to proper Nutrition is the key-just need to figure out what works for me best.  PS-it's darn cold here in the Northeast--moving the training inside for a while, fingers nearly froze off on my run last night.  Really looking forward to the 5K I am in 12/31 at 5:30 pm--should be quite refreshing.

I am not a huge fan of supplements, but my husband loves them, so he sends them my way.  He has learned over the years that if I have to take too many...I will eventually stop taking them.  So,  here's what I am currently on...a multivitamin, fishoil 2-3 times a day, glutamine to help repair muscle tissue and cytomax performance drink for any cardio lasting an hour or more.    Does it help?   I am not sure but I will tell you this:  I always recover and  never feel over trained ( which was a HUGE issue this past summer)

This is the one thing that I keep seeing when people mention supplements.  My wife is taking it, but I am not quite sure what is does.  

2009-12-18 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2556227

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Better be careful with the wife taking them!  Might kick their butts!!!
2009-12-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2566527

User image

Expert
Boston
Fishoils have to do with heart health....they also act as natural anti inflammatories!  So no more ibuprofen!
2009-12-18 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fish oil is also supposed to be good for mental health as well, if it the kind with EPA in it.
2009-12-18 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

So, I will be out of commission tomorrow as I drive up to Syracuse.  I will be back on-line late tomorrow or Sunday morning.  Have a good weekend and if you are somewhere where it is snowing or will be snowing, remember you can log shoveling as exercise.  Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.

2009-12-19 6:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Hey, everyone!  I feel like the parents are out of town for the weekend.  Heck with the shoveling, lets party.   (oh and do some work outs too)

2009-12-19 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2566005

User image

Expert
Boston
Boston Beginner - 2009-12-17 11:33 PM

AlanaF - 2009-12-17 3:55 PM I think I need some help clarifying my goals.  I want to stretch this year, it's what motivates me, but I need to stay realistic.  Here is what I am thinking:

2010 races:
January 16 - indoor mini sprint
April - spring sprint (pool swim)
August - Emmett tri olympic distance  - my "A" race

Running races -
5K, 10K and half marathon  (I still need to research dates)

Long term goals
Run a full marathon
Complete an ironman

I think I need the running races to give me motivation.  August just feels like a long time away to worry about it "today."  As of 30 days ago I could run a 5k without walking.  I'm not so sure about today.  So should my first goal just be to complete one? 

Also, another question.  Sorry, I am the question queen.  What kind of plan should I be using?  Should I count backwards from the spring sprint and choose a spring plan or what?  Thanks for any help!

Well as far as the triathlons go, they are nicely spaced out.  My guess is that you might be signing up for a sprint in June.  I did 3 sprints and an oly in my first year.  As far as running goes, you can pretty much make a road race a training day.  That's the beauty of  triathlons.  I know people who ride after they run a road race because that's what the plan calls for.  If you are not too worn out, I would look for a half marathon anywhere from late Sept to early Nov., depending on how the weather is out there.

As far as the plan goes, I would work my way back from your A race.  The 20 week olympic plans here are good. Same goes for the sprint in April.  I used the plans here and it work out well.  Just use the race date and work you way back.  If you take a look at the plans and have specific questions, please ask.  I hope this helps a bit. 

this is exactly what I did for my plan.  My "A" race is in July so I plugged in the date and worked my way backwards.  I start my 20 week olympic training 2/21.  I also found it helpful to put your goals and races into your dashboard that way you can look at them each time you log a workout.
2009-12-19 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
To answer the supplement question, I don't normally take anything in pill form, I really try to manage my nutrition through the food I eat when I am training hard.  That being said, I do regularly drink a protein shake after hard workouts.  I think it helps get things back into balance after strenuous work.  Just be careful with some of the protein powders out there.  Some of the ones that are for weight lifters have tons of extra calories in fats that endurance athletes don't really want.  Try to find one that is more geared for endurance sports.
2009-12-19 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2568317

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dragonflyer - 2009-12-19 6:17 AM Hey, everyone!  I feel like the parents are out of town for the weekend.  Heck with the shoveling, lets party.   (oh and do some work outs too)

too funny.  Notice how he left us with CHORES though?  Typical.
2009-12-19 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2568446

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seren - 2009-12-19 8:52 AM
Boston Beginner - 2009-12-17 11:33 PM

AlanaF - 2009-12-17 3:55 PM I think I need some help clarifying my goals.  I want to stretch this year, it's what motivates me, but I need to stay realistic.  Here is what I am thinking:

2010 races:
January 16 - indoor mini sprint
April - spring sprint (pool swim)
August - Emmett tri olympic distance  - my "A" race

Running races -
5K, 10K and half marathon  (I still need to research dates)

Long term goals
Run a full marathon
Complete an ironman

I think I need the running races to give me motivation.  August just feels like a long time away to worry about it "today."  As of 30 days ago I could run a 5k without walking.  I'm not so sure about today.  So should my first goal just be to complete one? 

Also, another question.  Sorry, I am the question queen.  What kind of plan should I be using?  Should I count backwards from the spring sprint and choose a spring plan or what?  Thanks for any help!

Well as far as the triathlons go, they are nicely spaced out.  My guess is that you might be signing up for a sprint in June.  I did 3 sprints and an oly in my first year.  As far as running goes, you can pretty much make a road race a training day.  That's the beauty of  triathlons.  I know people who ride after they run a road race because that's what the plan calls for.  If you are not too worn out, I would look for a half marathon anywhere from late Sept to early Nov., depending on how the weather is out there.

As far as the plan goes, I would work my way back from your A race.  The 20 week olympic plans here are good. Same goes for the sprint in April.  I used the plans here and it work out well.  Just use the race date and work you way back.  If you take a look at the plans and have specific questions, please ask.  I hope this helps a bit. 

this is exactly what I did for my plan.  My "A" race is in July so I plugged in the date and worked my way backwards.  I start my 20 week olympic training 2/21.  I also found it helpful to put your goals and races into your dashboard that way you can look at them each time you log a workout.

So what is your structure until 2/21?  That's what I struggle with.  I need figure out the whole dashboard thing. I've never even tried it. 
2009-12-19 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Right now I am doing the winter cycling challenge Tues/Thurs/Sat and "running on the elliptical and core training including the 100 pushup challenge  Mon/Wed/Fri and Sundays are my days to go hiking in the mountains.   I am not worrying about swimming right now coz I am having a cyst removed in 2 weeks then its no swimming for 2 more weeks.    The plans on this site is a great place to start and as you go along you will probably tweak the work outs to more fit your needs.

2009-12-20 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Membership,  I see several of our group hold a Bronze or Silver Membership with BT.  Those who are already members do you feel it's an added bonus.  I know supporting the site is a huge plus and there is a wealth of information everyone I look.  And becoming a member would open up added training plans and articles but as a relative newbie just how much of a benifit?  After all we do now have a mentor!!  and sometimes you can go into information over-load and it adds to confusion-which plan do I use, what nutrition, etc.
2009-12-20 7:31 AM

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
Good morning everyone!
Boy what a busy day yesterday was.  Who has time to exercise, my four little angels were gone and we spent the day finishing up for Christmas, I did walk alot though.  O.K. I have to fess up, I was soooo bad, for dinner I had a sinful sundae from the Outback!!! It was so good.  I plan to get back on it today.  Things are so crazy, I am ready to get Christmas over with (only the hustle and bustle of it).  Hope everyone is having a great weekend. 
2009-12-20 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I agree, Chirtsmas cheer and shopping slows down the training a bit--but family comes first. Just need to step it up a bit afterwards and try not to over due it to much--ps--I drank a lot of wine last night and that's my only confesion for day.
2009-12-20 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good Morning. Looks like I have the funny group.  And just because I am away, doesn't mean I am not watching.  Sounds like everyone had a good day yesterday.  I, as well, didn't exercise and had too much to drink last night.  I didn't bring my bike up here and figured it would be a good chance to focus on running for the week.  We will see how that goes.  

As far as the memberships go, until recently, everyone was at least a bronze member.  I know the biggest thing about becoming a member is the ability to load plans into your log.  I also do it to support the site, and for the articles.  

Enjoy the rest of your week-end.

2009-12-20 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Thanks--I now know a good stocking gift for my wife to give me--BT membership.  Agree that we all should support the site-after all look, it has brought us together to form a group who all are seeking the same results--Good Health, Fitness and Triathlons.  One other question for our mentor--how exactly do we address you?  Our Mentor, The Choosen One, Boston Beginner, He who watches all??

2009-12-20 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2569451

User image

Expert
Boston
Dragonflyer - 2009-12-20 7:31 AM Membership,  I see several of our group hold a Bronze or Silver Membership with BT.  Those who are already members do you feel it's an added bonus.  I know supporting the site is a huge plus and there is a wealth of information everyone I look.  And becoming a member would open up added training plans and articles but as a relative newbie just how much of a benifit?  After all we do now have a mentor!!  and sometimes you can go into information over-load and it adds to confusion-which plan do I use, what nutrition, etc.

I spent the first 6 months as a free member, getting my feet wet, learning about the sport, etc.. and recently made the move to Bronze.    THe big thing I have noticed thus far is being able to load the training plan into your log and to upload info from your garmin into the log.   I figured it was time to stop free loading and support the site I love so much!
2009-12-20 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2569685

User image

Expert
Boston
Dragonflyer - 2009-12-20 12:16 PM Thanks--I now know a good stocking gift for my wife to give me--BT membership.  Agree that we all should support the site-after all look, it has brought us together to form a group who all are seeking the same results--Good Health, Fitness and Triathlons.  One other question for our mentor--how exactly do we address you?  Our Mentor, The Choosen One, Boston Beginner, He who watches all??

How about Papa Smurf?
2009-12-20 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2569685

User image

Regular
Billerica

I signed on to BT plan for a couple reasons. 1- I kept trying to view some articles that I was interested in and couldn't view because I was not a member. 2- BT sold me on the buy 6 months get 8 months free sale a few weeks ago. Always looking to save a buck if possible. I believe we have found a court Jester named Dragonflyer

2009-12-20 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2569873

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Seren - 2009-12-20 3:05 PM
Dragonflyer - 2009-12-20 12:16 PM Thanks--I now know a good stocking gift for my wife to give me--BT membership.  Agree that we all should support the site-after all look, it has brought us together to form a group who all are seeking the same results--Good Health, Fitness and Triathlons.  One other question for our mentor--how exactly do we address you?  Our Mentor, The Choosen One, Boston Beginner, He who watches all??

How about Papa Smurf?

That's Mr. Papa Smurf to you.

2009-12-20 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Ever have one of those "Work Outs" where everything just fell into place?  That's how mine went today and couldn't be happier!  ( I hear there's a vote for our leaders name?  Have to keep it simple and short so when yelling uncle you're able to say it loud enough to be heard while being out of breath from a killer work-out.)  Anyone else still running outside in the cold and snowy conditions-gave it a try today but ended up down in the cellar on the Elip instead. Have to keep up my running as I have 10 days till my Saratoga First Night 5K--1,000 runners so it should be fun.  Being held at 5:30pm so it should be a nice cooool race.

2009-12-20 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I hope my humor doesn't offend anyone.  I know we are all here to help one another with our many different programs, questions and becoming the best we can be with each of our abilities.  In no way do I want to come across as not taking any of this seriously as I am working as hard as the next person because I truely believe in what I am doing here.  But also one of the most important things is to have fun-many of us work in areas where you need some stress relief and this has turned into a great out-let for myself.  Working in health care gives you some different angles (to put it mildly) and when I am at work for the most part it's beyond serious.  So when the scrubs come off and I lace up my sneakers it's time to have fun but also time to make a statement- I am going to do my very best with each and every work-out.  Sorry I could go on and on but will climb down off of my soap box for now.  But you can expect a return in the near future. It's very nice to be a part of this mentor program as I had watched it for sometime waiting for mentors to open up in December. 
2009-12-21 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2570339

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
Heck no!! I agree with you.  Heres one for you, last night when we were going to bed I told my husband someday I would do an Ironman, he laughed (remember I just ate the sinful sundae and am trying to fit exercise into our busy lives) and told me if I complete that he would give me a massage for a hour EVERYNIGHT for a full month!  Man I can't wait for that to come true!!! He is great really, I would have never got involved in any of this if it hadn't been for him.  Smile
2009-12-21 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
I always tell my patients that laughter is better than any medicine I know!  I know personally I can get so focused and serious that I forget to laugh so I thank you Drangonflyer for keeping it light!
2009-12-21 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2570339

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2009-12-20 10:23 PM I hope my humor doesn't offend anyone.  I know we are all here to help one another with our many different programs, questions and becoming the best we can be with each of our abilities.  In no way do I want to come across as not taking any of this seriously as I am working as hard as the next person because I truely believe in what I am doing here.  But also one of the most important things is to have fun-many of us work in areas where you need some stress relief and this has turned into a great out-let for myself.  Working in health care gives you some different angles (to put it mildly) and when I am at work for the most part it's beyond serious.  So when the scrubs come off and I lace up my sneakers it's time to have fun but also time to make a statement- I am going to do my very best with each and every work-out.  Sorry I could go on and on but will climb down off of my soap box for now.  But you can expect a return in the near future. It's very nice to be a part of this mentor program as I had watched it for sometime waiting for mentors to open up in December. 

Nope, you are gone.  I banish you.  No room for humor in this group.  

Joke away.  If you aren't having fun doing this, then you are doing the wrong sport.  Unless this is your full time job and trying to place in every race, then this should be fun.  It would get very boring and monotonous doing the same workouts everyday.   

I am just afraid that you are setting me up to fail with all these high expectations you have of me  I hate to disappoint you, but you guys will be doing most of the motivating and encouraging of each other.  I will just be guiding you and answering a couple of questions along the way.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36