BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-12-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2562758

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - OPEN

fdaniele - 2009-12-16 3:03 PM Thanks. nice to be a part of. Close, Francesco. No masters that I know of, will find out. For a bike, am thinking of getting one, used for sure. I need a 58  inch, saw some on Ebay, but am definitly going to need some assistance on a bike.

By the way, I am going to do the 22 week couch program. Not sure if loads into the training calendar.  I added in my workout from yesterday and changed my setting so you should be able to view it.

Sorry about that Francesco.  I can see your logs now.  I am not sure if you have to be a bronze member to load in the training plans.  If it's the training plan on this site, you should be able to click on the import button and it will load the plan to your logs.  Let me know if this doesn't work.

2009-12-16 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2562817

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Small world isn't it.  I wish we had a treadmill here. Our hanger is to small for all the stuff we have in it.  We have considered it before but the pilots put up a fuss (as you can tell they are not the active ones, lol).  Good thing about doing these shifts I can sit and figure out this site and read everything.  Hope everyone is having a great day. I was a paramedic first hence the screen name and then went back to nursing school.  I have a great job but it does get boring at times.  Bad if I am up all night with trying to fit in training or any exercise.  Hi Serenity as well!Smile
2009-12-16 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2562758

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - OPEN
Alright Francesco, did you upgrade your membership to be able to import that? Everything I find says that unless I just dont get it, which probably is true. There is alot of info on this site, very overwhelming to me.
2009-12-16 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2556227

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Seeing how I am pretty new to this (competed in 1 tri on a team)  my lists of goals can be quite long but when I get a little more realistic my list is some what shortened.
1 Get into shape-with a good work out program (started)
2 Change eating habits and practice good nutrition
3 Drop my 5K running time down-to low 7 min miles--was 10 mins and have dropped to 9 mins in a short 3 wks since I've started running
4 swimming (my weak part) get in the pool and start getting some laps in with some training by a coach
5 compete in several different races during the winter.  In preperation for the 2010 season.  Have signed up for another 5K 12/31
6 Compete in the Vermont Sun Series (have already reg for the June race) place towards the top for my age group
7 Compete in the Lake George Tri in 9/2010 but this time as a solo
8 Always would like to toss in a couple Sprints in preperation for the LG Tri.
Should keep me busy for a while! But of course this is a short list with more additions to follow.
2009-12-16 5:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What distance is the LG tri?
2009-12-16 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2562947

User image

Expert
Boston
skymedx - 2009-12-16 3:51 PM Small world isn't it.  I wish we had a treadmill here. Our hanger is to small for all the stuff we have in it.  We have considered it before but the pilots put up a fuss (as you can tell they are not the active ones, lol).  Good thing about doing these shifts I can sit and figure out this site and read everything.  Hope everyone is having a great day. I was a paramedic first hence the screen name and then went back to nursing school.  I have a great job but it does get boring at times.  Bad if I am up all night with trying to fit in training or any exercise.  Hi Serenity as well!Smile

i used to work crazy hours but now I have a nice 9 to 5'er and yes it definitely gets boring!  I still get up at 4:30AM just to cram everything in and sometimes even that is not enough time for it all.   I can't seem to get motivated after work.  I come home, cook, then want to be mindless until its time for bed and it starts all over again.  It was easier to stay motivated after work in the summer.  

I will post my goals tomorrow.

2009-12-16 7:07 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Hmmm... Goals for this season:

1.  Get faster than last year.
2.  Race farther that last year.
3.  Have more fun than last year.

This last one is going to be tough cause last year was a blast.  I got to meet some awesome people thru this site and had some great race experiences.

Once I get my life back in order after the holidays, I can resume a semi-normal schedule with my training.  I usually do a short workout in the morning and another short one at night and reserve long bikes and runs or bricks for the weekends.  Kids and call, of course, always make maintaining any type of schedule a challenge.
Really focusing on strength training and running right now since my first race in the spring will be a marathon.
2009-12-16 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2563312

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Lake George Tri--Olympic
2009-12-16 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Going down in the teens tonight--brrrrrr for a morning run--"You"ll Faint Before You Die"
2009-12-17 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

Good Morning everyone!

Goals:  My A race is an olympic in July - I will start the 20 week olympic plan at the end of February...but until then

• 18% bodyfat by April  - taking in 1500 calories to lose 0.5lb per week
  • Increase VO2 max - currently on Jorge's winter cycling plan Tues/Thurs/Sat
  • begin a running program mid January - I am "running" on the elliptical to prepare and let my bilateral archilles tendonitis heal until then - Mon/Wed/Fri
  • begin serious swim program mid January ( I am having a cyst removed from behind my knee Jan 4 so no swimming X2 weeks)

I think that's it for now. 

2009-12-17 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good Morning.  I don't know how the weather outside New England, but it's 0 degrees with the wind chill this morning.  I actually made it to the gym last night, finally, after a week of being sick.  We have these new computerized spin bikes with video instructors.  It's pretty cool.  You can wear your HR monitor and it syncs up.  I started doing some spin classes last year and if you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it.  It's a different kind of bike workout that uses different muscles.  

The goals are looking good.  As I was reading them, another thing came to mind that I wanted to throw out there.  Just because these mentor groups technically end in March, most groups continue on, if the members want to continue.  

Here are some of my goals for the next couple of months:

• Stay healthy
  • Be a good mentor
  • Build up my base to start HIM training in late Feb
  • Stay balanced with training, work, and family
  • Focus on training/race nutrition
  • PR my Half Marathon time in Feb
  • Have fun
Mine goals are more broad in nature, but until specific HIM and then IM training begins, I need to be as flexible as possible. 
Everyone try and stay warm and have a good day.

2009-12-17 11:45 AM

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
Hello Everyone!!

Goals:
1. Learn this sport
2. Work on my nutritional level, eating better
3. Decrease body fat, increase fitness level
4. Become a triathlete!  Fininsh a race.
5. Long term goal- run a marathon by my 40th Birthday
6. Have fun doing it and spending time with my husband while we train.

O.k you all will be proud of me, I went to the pool right from work!! Figured if I went home it wasnt going to happen. 

Have a great day.
2009-12-17 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2564738

User image

Expert
Boston
skymedx - 2009-12-17 12:45 PM Hello Everyone!!

Goals:
1. Learn this sport
2. Work on my nutritional level, eating better
3. Decrease body fat, increase fitness level
4. Become a triathlete!  Fininsh a race.
5. Long term goal- run a marathon by my 40th Birthday
6. Have fun doing it and spending time with my husband while we train.

O.k you all will be proud of me, I went to the pool right from work!! Figured if I went home it wasnt going to happen. 

Have a great day.

Yay!  Very proud, especially since I can't seem to get motivated after a work day. 
2009-12-17 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2564738

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
I know how that goes.  If I go home before I work out, it's not going to happen.  Kids have a way of monopolizing the rest of the evening, and who wants to go back out to the pool at 9:00 at night after they go to bed?
2009-12-17 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think I need some help clarifying my goals.  I want to stretch this year, it's what motivates me, but I need to stay realistic.  Here is what I am thinking:

2010 races:
January 16 - indoor mini sprint
April - spring sprint (pool swim)
August - Emmett tri olympic distance  - my "A" race

Running races -
5K, 10K and half marathon  (I still need to research dates)

Long term goals
Run a full marathon
Complete an ironman

I think I need the running races to give me motivation.  August just feels like a long time away to worry about it "today."  As of 30 days ago I could run a 5k without walking.  I'm not so sure about today.  So should my first goal just be to complete one? 

Also, another question.  Sorry, I am the question queen.  What kind of plan should I be using?  Should I count backwards from the spring sprint and choose a spring plan or what?  Thanks for any help!
2009-12-17 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Wondering?  Does anyone use any Supplements either before or after their works outs?

2009-12-17 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2565472

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dragonflyer - 2009-12-17 4:05 PM Wondering?  Does anyone use any Supplements either before or after their works outs?

Nope.  Sorry, no help there.
2009-12-17 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2565472

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2009-12-17 5:05 PM Wondering?  Does anyone use any Supplements either before or after their works outs?

I don't either.  Is there anything in particular you are thinking about, or just generally?  I can look in my nutrition book and get back to you.

2009-12-17 10:33 PM
in reply to: #2565303

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2009-12-17 3:55 PM I think I need some help clarifying my goals.  I want to stretch this year, it's what motivates me, but I need to stay realistic.  Here is what I am thinking:

2010 races:
January 16 - indoor mini sprint
April - spring sprint (pool swim)
August - Emmett tri olympic distance  - my "A" race

Running races -
5K, 10K and half marathon  (I still need to research dates)

Long term goals
Run a full marathon
Complete an ironman

I think I need the running races to give me motivation.  August just feels like a long time away to worry about it "today."  As of 30 days ago I could run a 5k without walking.  I'm not so sure about today.  So should my first goal just be to complete one? 

Also, another question.  Sorry, I am the question queen.  What kind of plan should I be using?  Should I count backwards from the spring sprint and choose a spring plan or what?  Thanks for any help!

Well as far as the triathlons go, they are nicely spaced out.  My guess is that you might be signing up for a sprint in June.  I did 3 sprints and an oly in my first year.  As far as running goes, you can pretty much make a road race a training day.  That's the beauty of  triathlons.  I know people who ride after they run a road race because that's what the plan calls for.  If you are not too worn out, I would look for a half marathon anywhere from late Sept to early Nov., depending on how the weather is out there.

As far as the plan goes, I would work my way back from your A race.  The 20 week olympic plans here are good. Same goes for the sprint in April.  I used the plans here and it work out well.  Just use the race date and work you way back.  If you take a look at the plans and have specific questions, please ask.  I hope this helps a bit. 

2009-12-18 5:59 AM

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
Good morning everyone!! Hope everyone has a great day.  I am at work today again. 
2009-12-18 6:06 AM

User image

Stamping Ground, KY

Here is a post for the day, is anyone dealing with injury from training?  I have flat feet and running/walking also seems to irritate them.  I had a mortons neuroma taken off last year and now the other foot is acting up.  Wondering if everyone has the same aches and pains and you just learn to deal with them.  Exercising seems harsh on the body.  Anyone agree?

2009-12-18 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2566113

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

skymedx - 2009-12-18 7:06 AM

Here is a post for the day, is anyone dealing with injury from training?  I have flat feet and running/walking also seems to irritate them.  I had a mortons neuroma taken off last year and now the other foot is acting up.  Wondering if everyone has the same aches and pains and you just learn to deal with them.  Exercising seems harsh on the body.  Anyone agree?

Now you are asking questions that I can answer.  I have flat feet and when I started running my ankles would kill me.  I finally went down to the running store and they did an analysis and watched me run and I found these Brooks.  It took a couple of weeks to get used to, but by the time I ran the 13.1 in a HIM relay in June, I finished with no real problems.  That being said, since I took some time off, they started hurting again.  I should have been running a little bit through that time so I didn't lose any of the strength I built up.  Do you have a good running store in your area?

2009-12-18 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls

Hurting??  Lots of days sometimes more than others but am learning to deal with it and maintain my sights on my goals-Hey, after all I am 56yrs old and should expect this pains here and there but have been blessed with very good health and motivation!  As far as supplements, my boys 34, 32, 27, 21 and 19yrs are into weights etc and are always suggesting me to try some but have refrained.  But, I keep going back to proper Nutrition is the key-just need to figure out what works for me best.  PS-it's darn cold here in the Northeast--moving the training inside for a while, fingers nearly froze off on my run last night.  Really looking forward to the 5K I am in 12/31 at 5:30 pm--should be quite refreshing.

2009-12-18 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2566402

User image

Expert
Boston
Dragonflyer - 2009-12-18 9:38 AM

Hurting??  Lots of days sometimes more than others but am learning to deal with it and maintain my sights on my goals-Hey, after all I am 56yrs old and should expect this pains here and there but have been blessed with very good health and motivation!  As far as supplements, my boys 34, 32, 27, 21 and 19yrs are into weights etc and are always suggesting me to try some but have refrained.  But, I keep going back to proper Nutrition is the key-just need to figure out what works for me best.  PS-it's darn cold here in the Northeast--moving the training inside for a while, fingers nearly froze off on my run last night.  Really looking forward to the 5K I am in 12/31 at 5:30 pm--should be quite refreshing.

I am not a huge fan of supplements, but my husband loves them, so he sends them my way.  He has learned over the years that if I have to take too many...I will eventually stop taking them.  So,  here's what I am currently on...a multivitamin, fishoil 2-3 times a day, glutamine to help repair muscle tissue and cytomax performance drink for any cardio lasting an hour or more.    Does it help?   I am not sure but I will tell you this:  I always recover and  never feel over trained ( which was a HUGE issue this past summer)
2009-12-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2566113

User image

Expert
Boston
skymedx - 2009-12-18 7:06 AM

I don't have flat feet but I am dealing with bilateral archilles tendonitis.  I started trail running last summer and then switched over to beach running ( my tri was on the beach) and didn't take my mileage down to adjust to the new terrain.  I am hoping to start running by January.  In all my years of climbing in the mountains, I never got injured.  Try doing something as simple as running and...BAM!  injured!  go figure
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36