BT Development Mentor Program Archives » running2far's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2009-12-31 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2557541

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: running2far's Group - Closed
Every be safe tonight if you're going out. The GF and I are making dinner in tonight. Grilled scallop and watermelon salad, some smoked salmon/soft cheese....mmmmmmmmmm and I picked up a six pack of my favorite IPA!

Decided not to run in the 5K tomorrow, run just isn't where it needs to be yet.

Happy New Year, may 2010 bring safe training and too many PR's to count!

2009-12-31 9:14 PM

Veteran

hope everyone is having a good year end.  I am ready to tackle 2010.

Sorry to be MIA but I am still out of the country and will resume my training on Jan 4th.  They closed down the pool here and it's become unsafe to run back home, so my training has suffered.

I wish you all the best in 2010 and hope you have a great tri season!!

2010-01-01 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happy New YEar Everyone!!!

Hour on trainer and a 5k today.  A very cold 5k at that.!!!!!
2010-01-02 12:38 PM

User image

Lost Wages Nevada

Happy New Year to all!
So I snuck out yesterday morning and decided to kick off the new year with my first ever full Marathon. Very proud of myself and spent the rest of the day in bed both smiling and crying (figuratively of course). It was a much slower run then I had hoped, ran the first 1/2 in 2:10 and the 2nd 1/2 in 2:35 for a total of 4:45. I went out too fast and had some problems on the second loop. The course I choose was very hilly (train on it for IMSG sake) and have high hopes of beating my time in two weeks when I run an official marathon in Arizona.....
Hope everyone’s New Year Resolutions are still in tack, and can't wait for us all to accomplish them in 2010!!!

2010-01-03 11:02 AM

User image

over a barrier
How did our two runners do on the New Year's Day 5K's? Do we get any mini reports? I've heard about the talking guy...need the Chicago report

@Jason - Be very very very careful with those long runs. I don't schedule anything over 2:30 - 2:45 long runs for Ironman training. I haven't run longer than 18 miles in two years except for races. I wouldn't run at all this week and focus on getting those legs recovered if you're going to do it again in two weeks. Compression tights if you have them, ice baths, Massage, form roller like crazy and high quality protein. Start some active recovery with light walking before you start to run again....How do you feel now?
2010-01-03 11:20 AM

User image

over a barrier
What on tap today? I'm trying to muster up the will power to find brunch and then I'll head to the gym for some fun on the treadmill.....I might actually swim as well. I think I'm going to quit my gym and do the work building gym and join the Blue Dolphins swim team. I need to be in swim shape before I show up though....

2010-01-03 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
got in a short run, off for an afternoon of football and snacking! and planning to find out what the pool schedule is and plan a first swim of 2010 for this week. have to work up to actually getting in the water!

just in case you're as planning oriented as i am-- i added my training schedule to a google calendar so it shows up on my daily agenda every day. having it sent to me with everything else i have going on for the day is an ideal way to make sure it happens! just thought i'd share since it's working out great for me.
2010-01-03 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2590587

User image

Lost Wages Nevada
@Jason - Be very very very careful with those long runs. I don't schedule anything over 2:30 - 2:45 long runs for Ironman training. I haven't run longer than 18 miles in two years except for races. I wouldn't run at all this week and focus on getting those legs recovered if you're going to do it again in two weeks. Compression tights if you have them, ice baths, Massage, form roller like crazy and high quality protein. Start some active recovery with light walking before you start to run again....How do you feel now?

I feel great, no issue and did some late night dancing with the wife last night (We live in Vegas, so lots of great clubs to chose from). I'm curious as to why I should pass on running this week or take it so easy?
I have been running 2 medium runs every week (about 10-13 miles for each) and one long run on the weekend. The long run I have simply increased by 10% each week with a recovery week every 4th week. Starting long ago with a mile and now building to 26.2.
Here's the issue and question, I have no desire to stop at this distance in fact I have some big ambitions to do some ultras in the near future. With that thought process, shouldn't I just keep doing what I've been doing and simply run 29 miles next week? By doing this I have found that the pain and real issues won't show up till maybe mile 25?? 
I am very interested and open to hearing your thoughts on this....(or from anyone else in the group who might have some experience with long runs
2010-01-04 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
All my clothes have some how gotten smaller.....or maybe I gained some weight?..nahhhh 
2010-01-04 11:10 AM

User image

over a barrier
@Jason....I'll hit you up with a good response tonight...busy catching up at work (was out for almost 2 straight weeks) and I want to use my lunch hour at the pool

2010-01-05 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
my mojo is almost back......almost....actually ran for the first time, in a long time, lastnight

2010-01-05 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2594414

User image

Extreme Veteran
Whats up everyone????  Hows the workouts/training going?  I am 5 for 5 in January.  I will take it!

Got my first ever triathlon "wow" today.  Stopped at SBUX for coffee.  Woman in car next to me had a 13.1 sticker.  She goes in and I am behind her in line.  We start chatting--what half did you run etc...she asks what I am gonna run, I tell her North Shore Half, she is too, then I tell her "and the Racine HIM"  She gives me a "Wow, Half?  Impressive." 

Yeah. I'm a Bada$$
2010-01-05 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2594895

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
ChicagoMan65 - 2010-01-05 10:09 AM Whats up everyone????  Hows the workouts/training going?  I am 5 for 5 in January.  I will take it!

Got my first ever triathlon "wow" today.  Stopped at SBUX for coffee.  Woman in car next to me had a 13.1 sticker.  She goes in and I am behind her in line.  We start chatting--what half did you run etc...she asks what I am gonna run, I tell her North Shore Half, she is too, then I tell her "and the Racine HIM"  She gives me a "Wow, Half?  Impressive." 

Yeah. I'm a Bada$$

She soooo wanted you
2010-01-05 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2595230

User image

Extreme Veteran
jsoza - 2010-01-05 11:41 AM
ChicagoMan65 - 2010-01-05 10:09 AM Whats up everyone????  Hows the workouts/training going?  I am 5 for 5 in January.  I will take it!

Yeah. I'm a Bada$$

She soooo wanted you

First she wanted.  Then she had.  Now she wants more.  I'm tellin you dude,  I am BadA$$.
2010-01-06 9:48 AM

Veteran
So I've been focusing my swim on drills and breath every 2 strokes.  My wife saw me swim last week and said I had definetly improved but my pull with the right arm was much stronger than my left.  I noticed my left arm started to drop when I turned to breath and a friend suggested to try to breath every 3 strokes to balance that out and that it would also help with OWS for sighting

do you have any specific drills that could help me do that? other thoughts?

Edited by Chezz 2010-01-06 9:49 AM
2010-01-06 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2597471

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
Chezz - 2010-01-06 9:48 AM So I've been focusing my swim on drills and breath every 2 strokes.  My wife saw me swim last week and said I had definetly improved but my pull with the right arm was much stronger than my left.  I noticed my left arm started to drop when I turned to breath and a friend suggested to try to breath every 3 strokes to balance that out and that it would also help with OWS for sighting

great job improving your swim Chezz

2010-01-06 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chezz - 2010-01-06 9:48 AM So I've been focusing my swim on drills and breath every 2 strokes.  My wife saw me swim last week and said I had definetly improved but my pull with the right arm was much stronger than my left.  I noticed my left arm started to drop when I turned to breath and a friend suggested to try to breath every 3 strokes to balance that out and that it would also help with OWS for sighting

Do you breathe on both sides?  I taught self bilateral breathing using a pull buoy and getting the rotations down.  Maybe that will help?
2010-01-06 1:14 PM

User image

over a barrier
Chezz - 2010-01-06 9:48 AM

So I've been focusing my swim on drills and breath every 2 strokes.  My wife saw me swim last week and said I had definetly improved but my pull with the right arm was much stronger than my left.  I noticed my left arm started to drop when I turned to breath and a friend suggested to try to breath every 3 strokes to balance that out and that it would also help with OWS for sighting

Very common problem and suggests over rotation. Not really a specific drill to correct this but remembering these key pts will help:

when on the breath stroke:
1. Fully exhale under water....when your mouth extis the water you only take in air. If your exhaling and inhaling your body will over rotate to try and slow you do, getting your head out of the water to get that last breath. Your body over rotates above the water and below the water your off hand drops to to anchor you...This sounds like your case.
2. One eye in and one eye out. When breathing your looking at the wall - not the ceiling or where you've been. One eye stays in the water to keep you from overroating. The body follows the head...you look to the ceiling or high up the wall and the hips drop and you drop anchor with your off hand....

correcting the issues....spend some time only breathing to this side. Give up your "good side breathing" for a week or two or a large segment of your swim. HOWEVER, if you haven't exhauled underwater you amount of practive will help because a properly times breath - only has time for the inhaul.....

I'll post a screentoaster of a DVD of me swimming tonight after the CTC meeting. Its a side angled underwater video....
2010-01-06 3:02 PM

User image

over a barrier
@jason to continue on my post about the long run

A training load is made up of three components:

Training load = Frequency + Volume + Intensity

Since Running is a load bearing sport we're always walking a fine line making sure he don't get injured. Every time you strike the ground while running you're applying a force of something like 10X your weight. You can imagine the toll it takes on your body just added an extra 30mins of running. The toll is magnified at the end of a long run as your muscles, running form, ligament/tendons are all breaking down. The chance of injury is skyrocketing while the training stress is moving linear (ie high risk - low reward). If you're hurting - stop - call it a day. Using the formula above, we can cap our long run, lowering our chance of injury, by adding frequency. Add another 45 mins of running somewhere else in the week and we've accomplished the same mileage but done so in a way where our ligaments/tendons and running form are still good.

Pure runners will cap their long run at around 25-30% of their total weekly volume. Given that IM Triathletes have other training sessions you can imagine that a 40 mile a week Triathlete wouldn't really be able to stay in the this safe (25%) zone. So the Triathlete will take more of a risk and potentially move that % of long run up to 50% but recovery must be taken very seriously and its done late in the game those last 6 weeks of training. During my last Ironman build my long run of 18 miles made up about 45% of my total mileage. I only ran 18 miles two maybe three times. I was getting my Training load by adding frequency, easy shorter runs where the chance of injury was lower. HOWEVER, my net mileage was still the same. I was getting the miles in via a safe manner.

Don't forget about managing your head space as well. Doing 26 mile runs 5 months out from an Ironman will start taking a toll. The risk of mental (and physical) burnout will appear for all Ironman athletes we want to make sure it doesn't happen 12 weeks out. Doing epic runs and big blocks of training early increase the likely hood of burnout too.

As a reference I was doing 90' to 120' long runs - which is very repeatable mentally/physically for most of my program. You know you can run 26 miles, no need to prove it every week.

I would suggest dialing down this weeks running and next week to make sure your body is ready to go as this is a race coming. Feel free to increase the run volume but I would do so in my adding other runs not extending the long run.

As for ultra running…I would not try and mix in ultra running and IM training at the same time. You've got a summer and fall season too, if you've got the ultra itch. That is my philosophy anyway….

If you have any specific questions abotu the marathon fire away - I've done a few open marathons and they are a completely different experience than a marathon during IM racing.
2010-01-07 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happy Snowstorm Midwesterners!  I am sure our Southern Comrades feel for us.......
2010-01-07 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2599856

User image

over a barrier
ChicagoMan65 - 2010-01-07 8:37 AM

Happy Snowstorm Midwesterners!  I am sure our Southern Comrades feel for us.......

I've already almost blown my knee out twice - trying to stop myself from falling. Its slick out....

2010-01-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2599856

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque
ChicagoMan65 - 2010-01-07 7:37 AM Happy Snowstorm Midwesterners!  I am sure our Southern Comrades feel for us.......

Awwww. 

Probably not going to get much training in this weekend.. I'm leaving today for a conference til Sunday.  Hotel has a gym, supposedly, so I'll take my running shoes on the off-chance of maybe squeezing in a treadmill run, but I think its unlikely.

Yeah, poor me, going back to Mexico already... at least this time its for work, and I'm not going to the beach.  But, it will be in the 80s and sunny all weekend.  Neener neener neener.  :-P

2010-01-07 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2599930

User image

Extreme Veteran
running2far - 2010-01-07 8:58 AM
ChicagoMan65 - 2010-01-07 8:37 AM Happy Snowstorm Midwesterners!  I am sure our Southern Comrades feel for us.......
I've already almost blown my knee out twice - trying to stop myself from falling. Its slick out....

Dude, Yaktrax.  Or crampons.  Like from Everest.

Stay upright man!
2010-01-07 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2599954

User image

Extreme Veteran
megtrow - 2010-01-07 9:05 AM
ChicagoMan65 - 2010-01-07 7:37 AM Happy Snowstorm Midwesterners!  I am sure our Southern Comrades feel for us.......

Awwww. 

Probably not going to get much training in this weekend.. I'm leaving today for a conference til Sunday.  Hotel has a gym, supposedly, so I'll take my running shoes on the off-chance of maybe squeezing in a treadmill run, but I think its unlikely.

Yeah, poor me, going back to Mexico already... at least this time its for work, and I'm not going to the beach.  But, it will be in the 80s and sunny all weekend.  Neener neener neener.  :-P

I am soooo happy for you.  Remember, stay hydrated.  Drink lots and lots and lots of the local water.
2010-01-07 10:11 AM

User image

Lost Wages Nevada

Hayes, Thank you for the great response on the long runs!!

It does bring my training plan into question though. I am currently doing 12-15hrs a week with the majority of it taking place on the weekend (bike Sat 4-5hrs, run Sun 3-4hrs). The rest of the week is filled with short sessions of 1-2 hrs in zone 1-2 intensity.

Are you suggesting that I now alter this setup to more evenly split up my weekly hrs? Maybe 3hrs a day x 5-6 days a week?

I like the idea of not stress the body to the limits of breaking, but my mentality has been that before I can do the 3 events for 12-14hrs at a time, that I will first need to be able to complete just one event (the swim has never been an issue). Until last weekend I did not have the endurance to finish a marathon (let alone have done 7-8hrs of cardio prior to starting it). My thought has been to work towards training days that would allow me to do 10+ hrs of training in preparation for a 12-14hr race day. That's what I would do for any shorter distance, am I over thinking this?????

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » running2far's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 8