Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2010-01-04 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2558214

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Closed
Hi, I was MIA in NYC for NYE. Happy New Year everyone. Looking fwd to a year of training and racing.
I've gone gluten-free over the holidays - something I was told I had to do almost 20 yrs ago and have only managed it three times. But it's a lot easier now, many more products and substitutions available.

I've put on weight (about 5 lbs) in the last 6 weeks, but look slimmer. Hmmm. I've not been doing as much cardio and I think I could still lose 12 lbs or so. Will up the cardio and see how I go. Don't believe it's all muscle as my jeans are tight-ish.

Fi

2010-01-04 12:43 PM

User image

Expert

Hey everyone, I'm back! I hope everyone had a good holiday season. I just got my confirmation for the Vineman IM race, so it's on! I'm getting back to my training plan tonight and look to be solid for the next 7 months! I'm nervous and excited! It's going to be an interesting journey!

2010-01-04 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Hey everyone...sorry for the extended silence.  Long story short...I've been at the house we are building in northern Idaho for the last week.  I managed to get electricity, but internet and heat did not happen, as planned.  It's been and cold and low-tech week.

Thank you for continuing to support one another.  That is the most powerful part of a group like this.

Tip #1:  Consistency  -  Whatever plan or workout schedule you decide to follow, strive to work out consistently week to week.  It is much better to consistently get in 5 hours/week of workout time than 6 hours one week and 4 hours or less the next.  Life happens and we must chose plans/routines we can fit into our lives...consistently.  Often times our eyes are bigger than our real ability to integrate training into our lives.  We start on an aggressive plan only to not be able to really fit all the training into our lives and get discouraged that we end up off the plan.  Remember, this is for fun and fitness! 

Edited by Scottt 2010-01-04 2:28 PM
2010-01-04 3:02 PM

User image

I have not decided on a "plan" as of yet, I have only tried to increase either my distance or elapsed times. At this point I am unsure which race I am training to compete in this spring. My lack of direction is due to my lack of knowledge. Any thoughts?
2010-01-04 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2593167

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Jason,

Whether it is a "plan" or just a workout routine, consistency is still the key.

What type of race are you looking to do...Sprint, Olympic?  With your backgroud, I'm sure either is within your grasp given reasonable training time.  At some point it may come down to making a choice or picking a race out in the future to get you focused and choose a course of action.  Another approach would be to train as if you were "going to do an Olympic in August" not knowing what race or maybe doing a sprint instead if that is what you end up finding that works into your plans.

2010-01-04 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2586470

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Jason,

I agree with Jeff, the additional detail included at the Bronze and Silver levels is well worth the minimal cost.  I especially like the detailed swim workouts.  I always have trouble deciding what to do without something more specific.  I also use swimplan.com.  It is a free website which builds workouts for you based upon a few inputs.  I've used it extensively.  If I don't like a particular workout it gives me, I build another one.  I think it lets you do 5 each day.

Edited by Scottt 2010-01-04 5:07 PM

2010-01-04 6:25 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
I have a tri question.  I plan on completing several sprints this year.  How do you train if the sprints are 3-4 weeks apart.  Do I go back to the endurance phase of my plan that will fit into the timeline? Or is that too close to the last race.  I wouldnt think it was to close for a sprint.
2010-01-04 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2591148

User image

Regular
Salem
I do have to train indoors for the winter,atleast, as of the past few weeks.  I have been running indoors and I try to put the treadmill at an incline of 1 (minimum).  The incline of 1 is more life like conditions ( so I have read).  I will then raise the incline as I run depending on the type of workout.  I started out last January on the treadmill and then spring arrived and went outside to run.  I found out that it was not the same as the treadmill.

I have also started on a bike trainer that I have borrowed from a friend.  It is a cheaper fluid trainer and I it tends to lean to the side.  I think that I will look at buying a better trainer (higher quality).

Congrats on the swimming!
2010-01-05 12:14 AM
in reply to: #2593681

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Shawn,

I suggest picking one of the later sprints as your priority ("A" race) and gear your training timetable around that race.  3-4 weeks is actually idea spacing leading up to an "A" race, as it allows you some recovery and a couple of peak weeks and a taper prior to the next race.

Using an incline of approx. 1% is good practice on a treadmill.  The reason is it forces you to have a slightly more forward footstrike (as opposed to heal-striking).  I generally find running on the treatmil to be harder at a given pace than running that same pace outdoors.  I also try to run outside whenever possible.  With short daylight this time of year, I commonly do what might be a track-based workout on the treadmill instead.

A fluid trainer is a great indoor cycling tool.  They generally are quieter than Mag (magnetic resistance) trainers.  The leaning issue is normally a mechanical issue with the way the bike is positioned and clamped on the rear axle.  Make sure it is not just a setup issue before springing for a new trainer. 

Edited by Scottt 2010-01-05 12:16 AM
2010-01-06 9:01 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by alsi071 2010-01-06 10:16 AM
2010-01-07 5:52 AM

Master
TORONTO
Hey everyone!  Thought I'd just post a quick note to see how everyone is coming along? 

We're such a quiet little group compared to some of the others. 

It's January 7th - hump day is behind us - what's everyone got on tap for this weekend's training?  I'm hoping to get some nice long runs in - apparently it's supposed to get warmer although.... I have just bought a new pair of fleecy running pants that I am eager to test in -10 weather!!

Has everyone chosen their A race?  Picked out a training plan?  And if so - how far away?  Let's hear the deets!!

2010-01-07 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2599618

I was going to either swim, run, or bike. All kidding aside, I have to hit the pool in the city. It is a 25 minute drive from my house. Since you are from T.O. it must seem like a short drive for you, but I hate the commute.
2010-01-07 8:14 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-01-07 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2599618

Expert

kimmax - 2010-01-07 3:52 AM Hey everyone!  Thought I'd just post a quick note to see how everyone is coming along? 

We're such a quiet little group compared to some of the others. 

It's January 7th - hump day is behind us - what's everyone got on tap for this weekend's training?  I'm hoping to get some nice long runs in - apparently it's supposed to get warmer although.... I have just bought a new pair of fleecy running pants that I am eager to test in -10 weather!!

Has everyone chosen their A race?  Picked out a training plan?  And if so - how far away?  Let's hear the deets!!

Go Marcia! Giving everyone a kick in the pants....lol.

My A race is going to be Vineman with Oceanside being B. Oceanside is at the end of March and Vineman is at the end of July. Training plan has been picked out for both races and imported into my log, so I pretty much know what I need to do every day until the end of July. CRAZY!

Do we still have everybody in the group? It seems that some people have never posted again after there initial introduction and there are also some that are not logging anything. Perhaps we should have a roll call of sorts...

Train well!

2010-01-07 11:55 AM

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Jeff has a good idea.

I know the following people have been active.
Jeff
Marcia
Fi
Alex
Craig
Jonathon
Jason
Damian
Jay
Jordan
Shawn
Michelle

Can the non-active people please check in?
Catherine
Kevin
Steve
Lynn
Lauren

Thanks

Edited by Scottt 2010-01-07 12:02 PM
2010-01-07 12:22 PM

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

It looks like Alex, Jeff, Michelle, Marcia, Jonathon, Damian, Jordan and Jay all have plans they are working from.

Catherine, Kevin, Fi, Steve, Lynn, Lauren, Craig, Steve, Jason and Shawn have not chosen a plan or schedule.

The best thing to do is to look at your schedule and see what race you see as your priority (A race) and work backwards from there.  If you use a BT plan, it allows you to import the plan based upon the finish (race) date.  The BT plans are a great was to give you a structure to work from. 

As Alex has found, there are many other resources for quality plans, as well.  The key is to have a plan and goals and then where we can really help is with the motivation to stick to your plan.

If any of the group who has not designated a plan is ready to figure it out, let me know. 

Fi, did I hear you volunteer?

2010-01-07 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2581444

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

"Just curious if anyone lifts weight and finds a benefit from it (speed, power, muscle tone, ect)?"

Jordan,

Sorry it's take a while to get to this...

Weight training is somewhat of a controversial topic within the tri ranks.  There is little statistical proof it make anyone "faster".  The greatest benefit seems to be the stimulation of muscular development and balance (adaptation).  This manifests itself most significantly in the prevention of injuries.  Most of what we do (functionally) is geared toward moving forward linearly as efficiently as possible.  That's great, but is means that the balance in our development gets thrown off.  Weight training is a great way to stimulate the stability muscles/tendon/ligaments on axis that are not developed well in our everyday SBR workouts.

Edited by Scottt 2010-01-07 12:32 PM
2010-01-07 2:33 PM

New user

Chilliwack
Training Plans:  well, my goal race is an Olympic in September, so I picked a 20 week Olympic training plan, and calendared out 20 weeks.  That leaves me three months before, so I picked out a basic spring training plan that is 13 weeks, to get me going again after a little break at the end of last year.  Do you think that is a good thing?

Watching my food, logging, etc.  I think I'm on track here.  The website has so much info, I feel a little lost.  Is there a way to quickly find this forum, as I always just go back to the forum main page and find it from there.

I can't remember who it was that said his gf "needs" him to go to the gym.  That is frustrating.  I had a conversation with the hubby last night, who told me that I need to slow things down.  Just when I want to ramp things up.  Why is that?  Very frustrating!!!!!
2010-01-07 2:50 PM

Master
TORONTO
I'm bad in that I want every race to be an A race!  But alas... that cannot be so. 

I've used the Intermediate Olympic 26 week - 2 race BT plan as a base.  Then modified it using the Training Bible to add in a third A race earlier in the season and I think I also increased it to include longer base/build training (can't remember now) so.... long story short... my morphed plan should peak for a race on June 28th - whether that's the Olympic Aquacycle, Oly Tri or a Sprint - I'll have to see how I feel.  Other two A races are Olympics on Aug 9th (1000 Island) and Sept 13 (Lakeside).  I'd like to do well at Belwood as a comparable to last year but it will be a B race.  So my training officially starts Jan 18th.  I'm still working on the winter maintenance until then but not pushing self too hard (saving up I guess or maybe taking a little break before I get serious).

ETA: I started logging my food intake this week and eek!  I'm eating healthy but too much.  I've never really known how much I'm supposed to be eating when exercising but find 1500 cal/day is good for maintaining so ya... 1700-2000 and I should be tipping the scales soon.  Cutbacks are in order!

Edited by kimmax 2010-01-07 2:52 PM
2010-01-07 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2600968

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Bring It On - 2010-01-07 12:33 PM Training Plans:  well, my goal race is an Olympic in September, so I picked a 20 week Olympic training plan, and calendared out 20 weeks.  That leaves me three months before, so I picked out a basic spring training plan that is 13 weeks, to get me going again after a little break at the end of last year.  Do you think that is a good thing?

Absolutely, your approach looks good.

Watching my food, logging, etc.  I think I'm on track here.  The website has so much info, I feel a little lost.  Is there a way to quickly find this forum, as I always just go back to the forum main page and find it from there.

I created a link at the top of my Training Log to get me here easily.  I think if you copy my link into your Goals at the top of your page, that would get you here easily.

I can't remember who it was that said his gf "needs" him to go to the gym.  That is frustrating.  I had a conversation with the hubby last night, who told me that I need to slow things down.  Just when I want to ramp things up.  Why is that?  Very frustrating!!!!!

Yes, life balance is really the toughest of the issues we deal with in our chosen sport.  He should feel lucky to be married to someone who has the motivation and drive to keep fit and go after significant goals.  Though written in the context of Ironman, here is suggested reading for him:  "A Word to the Triathlon Widow(er)". 

Is there a way you can involve him in a portion of your training?  For instance, even my 9 year old son sometimes rides his bike with me on my shorter runs.  On recovery runs, I sometimes slow it way down and run with my wife, who is a newbie triathlete herself.

Sometimes our loved ones take this stance because they see it as something they can't do or something that might make you something different that what you are now.  For most of us, we are trying to be something slightly different (in a good way) like get more fit, healthy, live longer, etc.  Hopefully when couched in that way, someone that close to you will see your reasons for pursueing this goal and support it (to a greater degree).  On the flipside, it is incumbent upon you to increase your involvement in a way which does not turn their world upside down.

Good topic.  one that we all wrestle with...

2010-01-07 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2601025

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

kimmax - 2010-01-07 12:50 PM I'm bad in that I want every race to be an A race!  But alas... that cannot be so. 

I've used the Intermediate Olympic 26 week - 2 race BT plan as a base.  Then modified it using the Training Bible to add in a third A race earlier in the season and I think I also increased it to include longer base/build training (can't remember now) so.... long story short... my morphed plan should peak for a race on June 28th - whether that's the Olympic Aquacycle, Oly Tri or a Sprint - I'll have to see how I feel.  Other two A races are Olympics on Aug 9th (1000 Island) and Sept 13 (Lakeside).  I'd like to do well at Belwood as a comparable to last year but it will be a B race.  So my training officially starts Jan 18th.  I'm still working on the winter maintenance until then but not pushing self too hard (saving up I guess or maybe taking a little break before I get serious).

ETA: I started logging my food intake this week and eek!  I'm eating healthy but too much.  I've never really known how much I'm supposed to be eating when exercising but find 1500 cal/day is good for maintaining so ya... 1700-2000 and I should be tipping the scales soon.  Cutbacks are in order!

See what I mean!  Simply logging gives us the awareness that some of us need to make changes.  Most of us know the right things to eat.  Portion controll will turn out to be 90% of the issue for 99% of the people.

2010-01-07 3:53 PM

Murrieta
I am logging my workouts, but I have not been logging my nutrition.  Probably because it has been bad, holiday food.  I am gonna get back on my nutrition website this sunday and log again.  I prefer to use the livestrong myplate for logging my nutrition, they have a ton of foods already in the database.

Progressivley I am getting better at logging everything, but I do agree that if you stay up on logging it you pay closer attention to what your supposed to be doing. 
2010-01-07 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2601161

Master
TORONTO
Scottt - 2010-01-07 4:30 PM

Is there a way you can involve him in a portion of your training?  For instance, even my 9 year old son sometimes rides his bike with me on my shorter runs.  On recovery runs, I sometimes slow it way down and run with my wife, who is a newbie triathlete herself.

Sometimes our loved ones take this stance because they see it as something they can't do or something that might make you something different that what you are now.  For most of us, we are trying to be something slightly different (in a good way) like get more fit, healthy, live longer, etc.  Hopefully when couched in that way, someone that close to you will see your reasons for pursueing this goal and support it (to a greater degree).  On the flipside, it is incumbent upon you to increase your involvement in a way which does not turn their world upside down.

Good topic.  one that we all wrestle with...

I agree with Scott.  When you first decide to do this its exciting and scary all at the same time and it's easy to become obsessed - when you aren't training, you are planning your training, reading about it and spending hours on this site!!  (child is sick today so I have been on it ALL day).  It's easy for the rest of the family to feel left out.  My hubby is very supportive but I've had to make some behavioural changes - here are a few tips I learned (the hard way):

-try to fit training in at times that don't interrupt your daily schedule
-when you aren't training or working - be with the family - and I mean "be there" as in attentive, quality time
-have non tri conversations with your partner - its incredible how you can blab on and on about a workout etc and forget to ask them about their day
-if your training happens during family time - ie hubby holds down the fort on a weekend for 3 hours - maybe give him a break - tell him to take an hour or two for himself - and you hold down the fort during that time.
-invite him to join you.  My hubby tried to take up running but has bad knees - it was kind of him (aka selfish of me) to try.  Now I encourage him to get out there and do what he enjoys (volleyball team etc)
-turn tri events in to mini holidays.  If my tri is out of town - we make a weekend of it and ensure the hotel has a pool for my child and my hubby choses the restaurants, we do something for them one day and my tri is the following.

Anyway - good luck with it - it's a struggle we all face!

Edited by kimmax 2010-01-07 5:15 PM
2010-01-07 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2600593

Veteran
Central Point
Scottt - 2010-01-07 10:22 AM

It looks like Alex, Jeff, Michelle, Marcia, Jonathon, Damian, Jordan and Jay all have plans they are working from.

Catherine, Kevin, Fi, Steve, Lynn, Lauren, Craig, Steve, Jason and Shawn have not chosen a plan or schedule.

The best thing to do is to look at your schedule and see what race you see as your priority (A race) and work backwards from there.  If you use a BT plan, it allows you to import the plan based upon the finish (race) date.  The BT plans are a great was to give you a structure to work from. 

I'm not familiar with any of the races in my area I found a few online. How do you chose? There is a 5k run in April that I thought might be a good start and a sprint in Portland the first week in June or about the same time there is one close to home but it is MTB and trail.
2010-01-07 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2601474

Master
TORONTO
ckallpoints - 2010-01-07 6:56 PM

I'm not familiar with any of the races in my area I found a few online. How do you chose? There is a 5k run in April that I thought might be a good start and a sprint in Portland the first week in June or about the same time there is one close to home but it is MTB and trail.

Hi Craig - Have you tried using the Races feature on this site? There's a link at the top of the page  - you can run a search of races in your area.  You might also want to post a message on the forum for your state.  See if anyone close to you has some suggestions.  Or check out their logs and see what races they have done.

ETA: You can also read race reports from members that have done that race and see how they felt about it - it's a great way to get a feel for a race before doing it.

Edited by kimmax 2010-01-07 9:13 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18