BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-01-05 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2593450

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL
Run - Usually distance although I did do it for time when I didn't have any fancy toys to keep track of the distance.  I will probably do at least one timed workout as my training picks up.  I've heard that running for time on easy days is ideal because you don't push yourself to try to finish the distance faster.  I can't imagine training for a half-marathon or anything longer than a 5K by running strictly for time.

Bike - Distance, because I'm usually on a specific route.  Indoor stuff would naturally be for time.

Swim - Distance.  The time aspect throws things off as you should be training "intervals" and not continuously swimming (although you'll want to swim your race distance continuously a handful of times to mentally prepare yourself).  I would imagine that if a beginner swam for 20 minutes, they probably would actually be swimming for about 12 minutes of that.

2010-01-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2558725

User image

Master
Hey All,
Sounds like everyone is back from Holiday Travels. Also looks like many of you are set up on your plans for the upcoming races.
My first race of the season is this weekend-Doing the Goofy Challenge at Disney.
I guess it really isn't so much a race as an event. My wife and I have little in the way of time goals, we are doing it to do it.
That being said, we expect to finish the 1/2 Marathon in under 2:40 and the Full in under 5:45. This gives us a lot of room for relaxed running and walking.
Plus, we may even take pictures with characters this year.
After that, time to get serious about my 1/2 Iron in March. I may also sign up for an olympic in the spring as well.

2010-01-05 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Good luck on your crazy running Eli!
Have a magical day-
steve
2010-01-06 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Steve,
Thanks. Just getting a packing list going.

BTW, you can always convert the time's to distances. You can use your average speed to do a conversion. I know for me, I usually think att 9:00 or 10:00 min a mile for running and 19 mile/hour for the bike.
2010-01-06 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Are you saying take a plan, convert it's times into distances, then work from that?  Interesting, and pretty cool for goal setting.
I'm more of a self-made planner, however.
steve
2010-01-07 6:54 PM

User image

New user

Answer to the time/distance theories:
Although I'm the least experienced of the group, I "accidentally" ran today's 3 miles by a Time Goal so I could make the 9:30 tennis clinic.  At 9:11, I knew I only had a short time left, so I kept myself moving to finish the 3 mile goal and not keep the tennis instructor waiting.   I guess you could call it a time AND distance.  Regardless, it worked.

Answer to last weeks goal setting:
By the May 9th Danskin She rox Orlando sprint tri: I will finish by having run the entire 5k at the end.  I did the swim and bike pretty well in my only 2 tris last year, but didn't run the whole way.  Slacked and walked a bit. 

that's all for now.  Smile

2010-01-12 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Brrrrrr.....I hope the goofy challenge went well despite it being ridiculously cold. 
2010-01-12 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2609131

User image

Master
crazyalaskian - 2010-01-12 7:22 AM Brrrrrr.....I hope the goofy challenge went well despite it being ridiculously cold. 

It was a freaking suffer fest. Luckily, misery loves company, and I had my wife and some friends to run with.
On Sat, we ran the half with two high-school friends of my wife. We just kind of chugged along. It was interesting running with stining ice pellets hitting me in the forehead.
Had a great dinner on Sat. night, and I am not just saying that becuase I cooked it.
Sunday was colder, but better weather. We actually missed the start and had to cross the course while it was active to wind our way back to the starting line. We did get a chip time, so it worked out.
We ran the first mile or so ALONE. Just my wife, myself and two friends from my triathlon group. It was weird, since Disney is so crowded. At the first mile marker, we were actually warned that we were behind the cutoff time. Yikes!

We were 5 minutes slower that last year, but my wife had to make a couple of potty stops on the way.

I took the last two days off and am raring to go again!!!!!

2010-01-13 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Hey All,
OK, now that I have Goofy Out of the way, it is time to think TRI!!!
So, I went back through to look at goals you mentioned when you signed up. Here is what I have:

Eli:
ING Miami 1/2 Marathon-Jan 31
Gator 1/2 Iron March 21

Stiga-
Start training again for a some tri's this spring and summer

Jack54-
Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl in May

CrazyAlaskian-
Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl
Augusta 70.3 the end of September

EvenOlder-
SRQ Y TRI, Gainesville TriGator, St. Pete Escape Ft. Desoto, Sebring Heartland Tri, St. Pete Morton Plant Mease, SRQ Siesta Tri, Boca Grande Boca Bop.

Aussieheps-

Get Consistent

Pdbman-
I want to get back down to my marathon training weight of 185.
I want to do a spring marathon in April and do two or three others through the summer/fall.
I want to do my first tri this spring and work in a few others between marathons this summer.

SilverWlf-
I'm looking at a February half-marathon
Welland and Cedar Point
Lung Association Double Century
MS ride in July.

So...How is everyone doing so far? As you all might know, we had a cold snap here in FL, os I have been indoors a bit myself. Many of you mentioned the run as a trouble spot. How many of you get on the Treadmill to get a few miles in when outside is no good?

2010-01-13 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2611149

User image

Kings Mountain, NC

So...How is everyone doing so far? As you all might know, we had a cold snap here in FL, os I have been indoors a bit myself. Many of you mentioned the run as a trouble spot. How many of you get on the Treadmill to get a few miles in when outside is no good?

Glad to be back to training, Cold here in NC as well back to 50's today.  Yeah!!!  I really hate workouts on the treadmill but I will go to the gym and do it If i have to.  Generally when it is cold and raining.  If it is just one of those I will try to do it outside within reason. 

2010-01-13 12:01 PM

Regular
I've started the BT 16 week training plan I'm in to the second week, seems to be going well.

runniing on a treadmill twice a week at Eli's suggestion (hopefully that will help with my running).

our pool is closed for the moment the heater is out. I did swim once last week the water temp was 73, went to swim yesterday to find it closed water temp 67 suppose to reopen on Monday so will start swimming then.

I hop all of you are doing great!

2010-01-13 12:03 PM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
I'm a little behind on my goals. I'm going the wrong direction to hit my goal weight. I went up this last week instead of down.

My run training is behind for a marathon in April. I think I will opt for the half to start off the year and am looking for a marathon for May. I don't have any excuse not to run because the Olympic speed skating oval isn't far from my house and they have a running track around the perimeter of the speed skating oval. Its indoor and the temp is in the mid 60's. Great place to run when its too hot, cold, snowing, raining, or the air is bad and they recommend people don't leave their house, like this last week. We're toping the charts for pollution lately.

I also haven't done any swimming or biking lately. I'm planning on hitting the pool again next week. I'll be able to get in a couple of weeks before I go back in for cataract surgery (on my left eye this time). Then I'll have to take a few weeks off again. I've been considering a spinning class to get some bike training in. No trainer at home or even a decent road bike. Anyone ever use a mountain bike on a trainer?
2010-01-13 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Paul,
Wow, I forgot you have to go for surgery again. Sounds like you have some good plans. that Oval sounds great.
Not sure about Mountain bike on trainer. However, most stores would be able to tell you quickly.
Don't worry about weight on a day to day basis. I weigh myself a few times a week, but really only pay attention to the average from the last few days. My weight can fluctuate by 5-10 lbs a day sometimes.
2010-01-13 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Eli - to answer your questions:

I'm right on track for my goals this year.  Training is going well, I'm at my goal weight (201 lbs to compete in clydesdale div this year.)

It's hard to resist buying a trainer or rollers for the bike.  Living in FL, it's fewer than 30 days a year that it's too cold to ride outdoors.  But when those days come, we really notice it.  A couple of spin classes later, and I'm over the hump, but still-

I get on the treadmill when needed, but absolutely hate it.

Just ordered my first pair of tri-shorts, got new lock-laces for the adidas, bought the TYR technoflex 4.0 goggles to try, and i'm pretty excited to start the season Feb. 7th.

Cheers,
steve

2010-01-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2611880

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
pdbman - 2010-01-13 1:03 PM Great place to run when its too hot, cold, snowing, raining, or the air is bad and they recommend people don't leave their house, like this last week. We're toping the charts for pollution lately.

In Utah?  How is that possible?  We ski snowbird, and it always seems so picturesque and clean there-
What is causing the pollution?
2010-01-14 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2613536

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA

EvenOlder - 2010-01-14 8:16 AM
pdbman - 2010-01-13 1:03 PM Great place to run when its too hot, cold, snowing, raining, or the air is bad and they recommend people don't leave their house, like this last week. We're toping the charts for pollution lately.

In Utah?  How is that possible?  We ski snowbird, and it always seems so picturesque and clean there-
What is causing the pollution?

The Salt Lake valley has mountains on three sides so all the pollution from cars, etc gets trapped in the valley. Inthe winter it can get really bad.  We get temperature inversions where it will be 20F in the valley while they have 40F at the ski resorts.  The good news for the resorts is that they are all high enough that they are above the pollution.  A small storm is going through and cleaning things up so it'll be nice for a few days.  We need a really big storm to come through to really clean things up.

2010-01-14 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2612695

User image

Master
EvenOlder - 2010-01-13 6:53 PM Eli - to answer your questions:
It's hard to resist buying a trainer or rollers for the bike.  Living in FL, it's fewer than 30 days a year that it's too cold to ride outdoors.  But when those days come, we really notice it.  A couple of spin classes later, and I'm over the hump, but still-

Steve, I know what you mean about the weather. I was thinking of buying a trainer just becuase it looks like some mid level models are starting to come out with Power meters. I love the numbers, and think doing an occassional measurement would be great. However, I have other things higher on my "to buy" list.
2010-01-15 7:56 AM

User image

Master
SWIMMING!!!
Went to meet my tri group for swim training last night.
Wow, I hate kickboards. I usually just get in the pool and swim. 200 warm up and then 3 or 4 400's.
Did a workout last nigh with sprinting and stuff.
Ouch. I forgot you can get sore from swimming.
Feel great this morning.
2010-01-15 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2615374

Regular

Yea I swam yesterday too.

Started looking for some type plan to train swimmiing today. noticed a site on here Swimplan.com
do any of you guys know anything about it?  Don't have time to reshearch here at work so will look closer today when I get home.  I've considered a coach or masters swimming calss, but I don't have time to drive 40 miles to attend either one.  One of the down falls with living in the woods.

2010-01-16 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Jack54, you're in luck.  I can help you with your swim. 
My qualifications:  I was top seven or better (first in my last race) in all my races last year.

I will customize a personal swim training plan just for you, right here in our mentor group thread.

But you've got to answer some questions first.

1. Go swim 100y as fast as you can.  Record that time.

2. After panting for 30sec or less, swim another 100y at a pace you think you could go all day with.  Record that time.

3. Are you going to train once or twice per week?

4. What is your strength in swimming?

5. (You knew it was coming...) What is your weakness/hardest part of swimming for you?

If you get these answered, we'll work out a kick- 3 month plan to have you dominating the swim in your Jekyll Island Crawl Olympic Distance tri.  If you're gonna do the sprint instead, we'll adjust the plan accordingly.
I notice you're a Bronze member, we can make and import a plan for you in BT as needed.

Cheers,
steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2010-01-16 7:03 AM
2010-01-16 8:33 AM

Regular
Evenolder

thanks, I will do the swim the first of the week.  I don't know what my weakness or strength is (sorry to say).  When I swim now I swim the crawl the entire time, no other strokes or other type training just swim.  I did have  trouble in the OWS sighting in both races that I did.  I ended up swimming the breast stroke just to be able to see.  My time in my first race was 11.40 for 400 yard swim also there was a approx 100 yards to get to the transistion area.  I think  the pool I swim in has all the kick boards or other training tools that I may need, just don't know what is the best avenue to train.

thanks in advance for your Help

2010-01-17 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
That is awesome that evenolder is going to make some workouts for you. One suggestion is to still attend the masters practices a couple of times in the coming months. It is the only opportunity you'll have for someone to give you feedback on your stroke. The more efficient your stroke, the less effort you'll require which makes a world of difference in triathlons. Most places let you come a couple of times to try it out or have a per practice rate. You may need to get a pull buoy and potentially paddles (depending on the workouts you get). Most pools don't have pull bouys available for use. Good luck!
2010-01-18 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
POST WARNING:  EVERYTHING I SAY BELOW SHOULD BE IMAGINED TO BEGIN WITH "IN MY OPINION..."
*So I went to look up Katie's name in the signups at the beginning of the thread, and notice both Jack(Jack54) and Katie(crazyalaskian) are both doing the Jekyll Island Crawl, in May, in Georgia.  I'm gonna talk to the wife and consider a road trip.
Small world.*

Katie correctly points out that your swim stroke is very important.  IMO, like 50% of your speed important.  (I also believe that it's 25% body shape, and 25% effort to round out your overall speed)

Swimming is the only discipline where speed is mostly based on your form.  Having someone eyeball your form and make suggestions is super helpful, although remember that not all advice is applicable to your situation.

In Jack's case, I'm gonna mostly advise against swim training aids, and most "swimmer type" training (which usually has intervals that are too short).  The big goal will be to get his raw endurance and comfort level up for swimming a continuous 1640 yards in the ocean.  Smaller goals will be bilateral breathing (for waves/other swimmers), sighting, and minimal leg use.
I'll also be linking out to Natalie Coughlin's swim advice videos, and the swim smooth model.

Steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2010-01-18 7:49 AM
2010-01-18 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2619249

User image

Expert

You should definitely try to do the Turtle Crawl.  It is the easiest olympic (and sprint) around and is a great warmup for the rest of the season.  The swim is with the current (50/50 chance of it being wetsuit legal), the bike is a little short in comparison to typical sprint/olympic races and is completely flat (great for those who haven't built up any kind of climbing strength yet), and the run is almost completely flat (it is a little on the hot side, though, not much shade on it).  Everyone that I know who has done it, adamantly recommends it.

- Katie

2010-01-18 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I'm behind on my training unfortunately.  I was quite sick before the holidays and within days of being back at school I was sick again.  I did get a couple runs in over the weekend - but I don't know if I'll be ready for the 1/2 in 3 weeks.  At the very worst I will run as much as I can and then quit.

I have, however, been doing P90X for the past 3 weeks and I can't believe the results!!  My arms look awesome - and I'm stronger in the pool.  So that's keeping me motivated.

I almost signed up for Welland yesterday.  I think I've decided that Welland and Cedar Point are what I'm going to do this year.  It means I can't do Leamington which is an amazing local race.  But I need the big goals to keep me focused and moving.

If anyone needs any swim assistance I'm happy to help too.  I am a Level 1 NCCP certified coach and I currently coach the age group team in town.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  

of 13