BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2010-01-03 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2574061

Subject: RE: cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed
Question for everybody.

What gears do you using when riding in the tri? I have  a road bike and have the 3 rings. I have heard that it is not allowed to use the big ring, but you should be using the middle ring. Is that correct?

Brett

2010-01-03 2:52 PM

CO

The rules can be found here:

http://usatriathlon.org/pages/1684

though there could be additional ones for the individual race.

But I've never heard of a bike gearing rule.

I started on the big ring alot, but I started trying to increase my cadence and find myself mostly in the middle ring.

2010-01-03 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2590777

User image

Expert

GotTorque? - 2010-01-03 12:25 PM
Running I found that going more than an hour on the treadmill is too agonizing, so i'm more willing to bear the cold.
My thoughts exactly!Biking with all those layers sounds like an expensive initial investment. But then again, we cose to take part in an expensive sport.

I bike commute  to my closest RTD bus stop most mornings regardless of the temps.  Ice is the only thing that keeps me off my bike.  The folks I ride the bus with are used to seeing me in my bike gear.  My outfit is very similar to Joe's.  Layering is the best bet.  I suffer from claustrophobia and being too hot sets it off big time.  The only time I have taken my helmet off while riding was during a panic attack to get my balaclava off.  It took years to figure out the right gear.  I spent 20 minutes on Saturday before my ride going outside to check the temps to see what to wear.  It got comical for my wife and I took a lot of flack for having to dress right for my boyfrieds (riding buddies). 

I can run in any temps but a good suggestion I have gotten from others is to dress like it is 20 degrees warmer.  For example:  If it is 30 degrees, I will wear lightweight tights, long sleeve shirt, wind vest, hat, and my lightest gloves (these usually come off with 2-3 miles).  If it is 50 degrees, I'll wear shorts and and a long sleeve shirt.

2010-01-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2590884

User image

Expert

bws1975 - 2010-01-03 1:45 PM Question for everybody.

What gears do you using when riding in the tri? I have  a road bike and have the 3 rings. I have heard that it is not allowed to use the big ring, but you should be using the middle ring. Is that correct?

Brett

There is no rule against using the big ring.  I only have two (I don't have the small granny ring).  I'd be lost without my big ring.

2010-01-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2590034

User image

Expert

garryowen96 - 2010-01-02 7:48 PM

The countdown timer is posted. . .118 Days till IM St. George!  Woo hoo!

YIKES!

2010-01-03 3:48 PM

User image

Expert

bws1975 - 2010-01-03 1:45 PM Question for everybody.

Brett

I missed the first question about gears.  I use them all in most races unless it is just plain flat (I won't get out of big (53 teeth) in the front and the bottom 2-3 (12, 13,14 teeth) in the back.  In the past I was a masher, meaing I would just push a big gear and ride hard.  While I didn't get aerobically challenged this way my legs were shot for the run.  I spent this last year learning to spin and now can spin comfortably at 95-100 rpms which results in me riding a smaller gear but at the same speeds as before.  I made the switch based on discussions with my best friend who is a physiologist at CU studying muscle fiber development and endurance.  Proof that the spin fast method works--Lance Armstrong.  He changed his riding style after coming back from cancer (had to based on a lack of strength and cardiovascular fitness.  Plus us older athletes can't generate the power to really push the big gears anymore...

If you have a cadence sensor, try riding at 95 rpms (don't worry about the pace) and see what it does to you.  I'll bet you will be breathing hard in the first 2 mins.  It takes a long time to train the Type 2a fibers to produce additional mitocondria to burn more oxygen at this pace but in the long run it will help my run as I will stay more aerobic and not have as much lactic acid build-up which will kill endurance (hit the wall).  This is my try to explain this.  I'll try to get my buddy to write a better response but he is prone to writing dissertations.  If he does, I'll try to translate...I half understand his gibberish but I left the chemistry of biology behind me a long time ago.

2010-01-03 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2590927

Thanks for the answers
2010-01-03 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2590970

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
cayrip - 2010-01-03 4:48 PM

It takes a long time to train the Type 2a fibers to produce additional mitocondria to burn more oxygen at this pace but in the long run it will help my run as I will stay more aerobic and not have as much lactic acid build-up which will kill endurance (hit the wall).  This is my try to explain this.  I'll try to get my buddy to write a better response but he is prone to writing dissertations.  If he does, I'll try to translate...I half understand his gibberish but I left the chemistry of biology behind me a long time ago.

I'm definitely interested in reading more!
2010-01-03 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
bws1975 - 2010-01-03 1:45 PMQuestion for everybody.

Brett
You are definitely allowed to use your big ring. In fact Zipp and Easton will even allow you to pay them $1K for a TT/Tri specific carbon crank with a carbon big ring (mated to metal teeth). I spend the vast majority of my time in the big ring on my TT bike under race conditions and only drop to my small ring when I'm climbing a significantly steep or long hill. I'm in complete agreement with cayrip on the cadence and always try to stay between 85 and 95 rpm. Focus on your cadence and how your legs feel and let that guide your gear selection.
2010-01-03 6:52 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO

I feel the need, the need for speed. I FINALLY reassembled my TT bike after taking it to St. George for a training ride a month ago and used it for my brick workout today.  I LOVE my TT bike.  There is nothing more enjoyable than haulin' , trying to tear the cranks off that thing.  I could have done without the snow, but the sun came out as I was heading into T2 which was very pretty.

The best part of the brick was my run which never happens to me.  I turned in 7:30's for almost 4 miles and felt like I could keep going.  I haven't run a sub 8 in a brick in 10 years! 

Overall an awesome end to a great week of workout's and spending some much needed time with family and friends. 

2010-01-03 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2591271

User image

Pro
NorCal
garryowen96 - 2010-01-03 4:52 PM

I feel the need, the need for speed. I FINALLY reassembled my TT bike after taking it to St. George for a training ride a month ago and used it for my brick workout today.  I LOVE my TT bike.  There is nothing more enjoyable than haulin' , trying to tear the cranks off that thing.  I could have done without the snow, but the sun came out as I was heading into T2 which was very pretty.

The best part of the brick was my run which never happens to me.  I turned in 7:30's for almost 4 miles and felt like I could keep going.  I haven't run a sub 8 in a brick in 10 years! 

Overall an awesome end to a great week of workout's and spending some much needed time with family and friends. 

7:30s for a brick!  Geez, I can't even do that on fresh legs!  SWEET!

2010-01-04 12:56 AM

User image

Hong Kong
AbbieR, Welcome!

Cayrip's or AbbieR

I am inerested on a "triathlon diet" for me...I was 253lbs 6 months ago...now,226lbs....and would like to get to 209lbs...I am 6'3.

Do you know a good diet program I could follow?

Thanks a lot,

"XTB" Xavi.
2010-01-04 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2591749

User image

Expert

xavi - 2010-01-03 11:56 PM
I am inerested on a "triathlon diet" for me...I was 253lbs 6 months ago...now,226lbs....and would like to get to 209lbs...I am 6'3.

The diet advice I like to give comes from the CrossFit folks.  They suggest, "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar.  Keep intake levels that will support exercise but not body fat."

In a nutshell, buy your groceries from the perimeter of a store and avoid the aisles.  I'm not sure what the stores are like in Hong Kong though.  Whole, fresh foods with lots of colors--the more the better.  If you do need a processed food (cereal or pasta---hey we are endurace athletes and need our carbs), read the top three ingredients and if sugar or any sugar derivative (high frustrose corn syrup, sucrose, etc.) is in the top three ingredients put it back and find something else to eat.

A good book to read is Eat Right to Train Right by Chris Carmichael. 

2010-01-04 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2591271

User image

Expert

garryowen96 - 2010-01-03 5:52 PM

Is a TT bike really faster than a road bike or does it just feel faster?  I've never ridden a TT bike (I know, I know...I do triathlons so why don't I have a TT or tri bike?) so I am naive to this.

2010-01-04 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Bummer... I just got my work schedule, and am travelling for the two races I wanted to do... The Cleveland Triathlon and the Portage Lakes Triathlon are both on days I'm out of state or out of the Country.  I also can't do the Cleveland Marathon because I'm out of state.

I found two others within a 5 hour drive, one in June and one in August, but it won't be the same.
2010-01-04 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2592081

User image

Expert

GotTorque? - 2010-01-04 8:00 AM Bummer... I just got my work schedule, and am travelling for the two races I wanted to do... The Cleveland Triathlon and the Portage Lakes Triathlon are both on days I'm out of state or out of the Country.  I also can't do the Cleveland Marathon because I'm out of state.

I found two others within a 5 hour drive, one in June and one in August, but it won't be the same.

That stinks!  The things we do for work.  I wish we could work to live instead of live to work...some (all/most) employers just don't get it.

2010-01-04 10:25 AM

User image

Expert

Hey everyone.  Please check-in with us this week so we know if you are going to be active and training the next couple of months.  I haven't heard from a number of you and your logs are blank  We would like to know if everything is okay and you are moving forward towards your 2010 goals.  If not, I'll have to find a way to kick you in the butt from Colorado.  Abbie is in California so she may be able to get you from there. 

Thanks,

Cameron

2010-01-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2592024

User image

Pro
NorCal
cayrip - 2010-01-04 6:43 AM

xavi - 2010-01-03 11:56 PM

The diet advice I like to give comes from the CrossFit folks.  They suggest, "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar.  Keep intake levels that will support exercise but not body fat."

In a nutshell, buy your groceries from the perimeter of a store and avoid the aisles.  I'm not sure what the stores are like in Hong Kong though.  Whole, fresh foods with lots of colors--the more the better.  If you do need a processed food (cereal or pasta---hey we are endurace athletes and need our carbs), read the top three ingredients and if sugar or any sugar derivative (high frustrose corn syrup, sucrose, etc.) is in the top three ingredients put it back and find something else to eat.

A good book to read is Eat Right to Train Right by Chris Carmichael. 

That sounds similar to the Paleo Diet for Athletes.  In the Paleo Diet, they do allow you to eat processed/sport foods during training and immediately after for recovery.  Gotta have that PowerBar or GU!
2010-01-04 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2592327

User image

Pro
NorCal
cayrip - 2010-01-04 8:25 AM

Hey everyone.  Please check-in with us this week so we know if you are going to be active and training the next couple of months.  I haven't heard from a number of you and your logs are blank  We would like to know if everything is okay and you are moving forward towards your 2010 goals.  If not, I'll have to find a way to kick you in the butt from Colorado.  Abbie is in California so she may be able to get you from there. 

Thanks,

Cameron

I too have noticed a lack of training.  Granted it could be just because of holidays, but if you are not serious about being an active member of the group, let us know.  Trust me, it won't hurt our feelings
2010-01-04 7:55 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Again on page 2!  Where is everyone?  Chime in with your training.

Did anyone set New Years Resolutions?
2010-01-04 8:08 PM

User image

I really wanted to do some running today but after jury duty in the morning I started getting really light headed and still pretty weak. About the most I can do now is walk around and get tipsy. Grr... lets home I get better for tomorrow.

2010-01-04 10:00 PM

User image

I just got back from a New Year's away from the computer. I ate bad, did not exercise much and now I will start my training. I'll start updating my log daily I promise.

2010-01-04 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2592029

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
cayrip - 2010-01-04 7:46 AM

garryowen96 - 2010-01-03 5:52 PM

Is a TT bike really faster than a road bike or does it just feel faster?  I've never ridden a TT bike (I know, I know...I do triathlons so why don't I have a TT or tri bike?) so I am naive to this.

The TT bike is definitely faster especially over a flatter course.  The geometry puts you in a more aero position than you can achieve on a road bike even with aero bars and it also allows you to generate more power in that aero position.  The secondary benefit is that the bike is more aerodynamic, but the bike accounts for a very small percentage of the aerodynamic resistance compared to the rider. 

It's tough to get into a comfortable and efficient climbing position on a TT bike so for really hilly courses a road bike can be a better option. 

Felt makes a couple of great entry level TT bikes.  An awesome value for your money. 
2010-01-04 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2592081

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
GotTorque? - 2010-01-04 8:00 AM Bummer... I just got my work schedule, and am travelling for the two races I wanted to do... The Cleveland Triathlon and the Portage Lakes Triathlon are both on days I'm out of state or out of the Country.  I also can't do the Cleveland Marathon because I'm out of state.

That sucks. Southwest has been adding a bunch of cheap flights to Denver and there's some kind of race almost every weekend in CO.  There are at least 3 of us in this group from CO. . .come on out and we'll cheer you on.

As a side note. . .for anyone flying with a bike; Southwest, Frontier, and Jet Blue have the lowest and least restrictive bike fees.  United is the WORST. . .thier fees and restrictions amount to piracy. 
2010-01-05 9:24 AM

User image

Expert

Hey folks..here is a rundown of who I see as being active.  Anybody know where the others are?  Just my quick assessment.  If I'm wrong, let me know but I want to see us all active on this site to get the most out of our 2010.  This is a GREAT YEAR!

Cameron--cayrip  Yes

Cara--GotTorgue?  Yes

Cat--Catalana  Yes on logging but not on the Thread

Cody--clewis38  No

Kevin--klmccllg  No but promised to be. 

Brett--bws1975  Yes on logging but not on the Thread

Mike--bartimaeus  Yes--4 peaches this year so far

Joe--garryowen96  Yes..been hammering the bike!

Justin--jtdintaipei  No? No log access and hasn't posted since the first day.

Kurt--Cozmo  Yes--jury duty?

Pauline--pdc33  Yes on log...No on thread.  First Tri in 103 days...start asking questions!

Alexander--RedRiver  No--Where did you go?  No workouts logged and no thread responses

Bret--bmason  No but has been busy with the kids and skiing--log your skiing...it counts!

Wayne--capt.awesome  No

Xavi "XTB"--xavi  Yes--in Hong Kong so sleeps while we train and we sleep while he trains.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18