BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-12-31 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2577385

User image

Chelsea, MI
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED
We're actually the same person... no, I'm joking.

Yes, it's a kid thing. Nine year old daughter, so a little too young to leave home alone, and no dinero for babysitting at the moment. I'll twist his arm into letting me meet the group at some point, though!!

I'm definitely in for Belle Isle with you all next year, too.

Heather

2009-12-31 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2585884

User image

Master
Canandaigua
jogo - 2009-12-31 9:26 AM

I am on the fence about doing a New Year's Eve 4 mile run today.  My hamstrings are still so sore after my trainer on Monday.  The trainer just laughed last night and said everyone walks like that the first time they stength train hammies.  I'm so glad that he found amusement in my pain.  It is better today, but I am going to see how they are after a couple hours.  Its not until 3:30pm so I have some time.  I'm thinking I'll probably wait till next year though.  Why risk injury?

Good thinking but you need to keep stretching and moving them.
2009-12-31 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2586502

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

dexter - 2009-12-31 1:20 PM
jogo - 2009-12-31 9:26 AM

I am on the fence about doing a New Year's Eve 4 mile run today.  My hamstrings are still so sore after my trainer on Monday.  The trainer just laughed last night and said everyone walks like that the first time they stength train hammies.  I'm so glad that he found amusement in my pain.  It is better today, but I am going to see how they are after a couple hours.  Its not until 3:30pm so I have some time.  I'm thinking I'll probably wait till next year though.  Why risk injury?

Good thinking but you need to keep stretching and moving them.

Thanks, planning on a swim and a soak in the bubble tub at the gym instead of the run.  Ahhh, bubble tub, I can't wait, heat and stretching. 

2009-12-31 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2585707

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
dexter - 2009-12-31 5:41 AM OK I need a weight from you Sunday.  If you take it friday and give it to me Sunday OK.  Just once a week at the same time weigh yourself.  This sunday is the start this time only we weigh Sunday.  After that whenever at the same time during the week.  Personally Friday is always my best day.  I'm working on the graph ans stats thingie. 

Have a great New Year Eve.  Be good but enjoy,  MAC36 since you turn 2010 first give us a report. 
Mike and I are running 7.8 mile tomorrow morning in the resolution run.  Keep me in check for the evening.

Have a terrific reso run! That should definitely keep you in check!! For me...until sunday....I am EATING and DRINKING. Ha! Hot buttered rum in the hot tub at midnight...mmmm.
But seriously, everyone have a great weekend and Happy New Year!
Holly
2009-12-31 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2585411

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy first 10 slots going fast. Let the newbies have a chance.
bfwhitt - 2009-12-30 8:22 PM It is called the Winter Warm up program or something like that....it is for those that have already done at least one Sprint...it was not on my list og goals until yesterday...so I need help wrapping my head around the distance...piece of cake...plan and train and then train and plan...what ever that means....

winter warm up...sounds good. How is it set up? Mine has 1 short and 1 long session/wk. of each run, bike and swim. I am on week one....so don't really know how it's going yet. Just wondering if yours is similar.
2009-12-31 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2586218

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
HNewman - 2009-12-31 9:04 AM We're actually the same person... no, I'm joking.

Yes, it's a kid thing. Nine year old daughter, so a little too young to leave home alone, and no dinero for babysitting at the moment. I'll twist his arm into letting me meet the group at some point, though!!

Heather

How many Michiganers (Michiganites? Michis?) do we have in this group? Cool

2009-12-31 12:55 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Michiganders, usually. And not sure - might just be that Jo and I talk more than everyone else, making us appear to be multiple people. Cool
2009-12-31 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

Warning:   Long Post Alert!!

I always take a lot of encouragement, information, and inspiration from groups like this.  Generally I don’t have a lot to offer, but here’s my attempt to encourage and inform at the onset of 2010.

A couple of you have commented on my nutrition logging.  I haven’t used the nutrition feature on BT so I have no idea about it.  The one I use is ENERGYsmart by New Leaf.  My trainer set it up and I like it OK.  It’s nothing special really but I’ve spent a lot of time entering foods and meals into it so I’m not likely to switch anytime soon.  If you haven’t taken the time to log your nutrition intake, I highly recommend you do so.  I don’t feel like I need to do it all the time, but I do need to get back to it a few times a year for a couple of weeks.  Here’s why:

• Logging my nutrition gives me a very clear picture of what I’m really eating, what’s good and what’s not, and what quantity of calories I’m taking in.  Without really tracking that I seem to slowly move back into thinking a couple of slices of pizza isn’t that bad.
  • Knowing that I’m going to log a food and then see the results in my nutrition graph actually helps me avoid bad food.  I’m a visual guy, so actually seeing the results of what I eat “real time” helps keep me on the straight and narrow.  Occasionally I’ll enter a food before I eat it just to see what impact it will have on my nutrition for the day.
  • It really helps with my portions.  How much is a cup of skim milk really?  How much is a tablespoon of peanut butter? 

So that’s my encouragement for you to take a couple of weeks and keep a really accurate account of EVERYTHING you eat.  I keep a little notebook with me all the time to write stuff down.  Otherwise I’ll forget by the time I get to the computer.  Yea, it's a pain in the but it's only for a few weeks.

And now for the inspirational portion of this post. 
My top three inspirational videos for 2009:

#3 – UltraMarathon Man - Dean Karnazes runs 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states.  He’s an animal

#2 - Spirit of the Marathon – God, I love this video.  It documents six people in their preparation for the Chicago marathon.  Includes one of my heroes, Deena Kastor.

#1 – Bicycle Dreams – I’ve watched this video a dozen times or more.  Documents the Race Across America and it’s WONDERFUL.  Stephen Auerbach has won a bunch of awards for this documentary and they’re well deserved.  And the people who do this? They’re cyborgs.  Prepare to feel insignificant and weak. (Wow, that doesn't sound very inspiring does it?  Trust me.  It is.)

Happy New Year everyone.  Let’s all work harder in 2010 than we did in 2009.

Chip

Edited by snaproll 2009-12-31 1:16 PM
2009-12-31 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2586562

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
HNewman - 2009-12-31 11:55 AM Michiganders, usually. And not sure - might just be that Jo and I talk more than everyone else, making us appear to be multiple people. Cool

Bahahhaaaahaa OK-ganders it is!
2009-12-31 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2586543

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy first 10 slots going fast. Let the newbies have a chance.
OK I lied ...had to get you the real description....it is called ...Winter Maintenance/Prep - 4 to 7 Hours - 20 Week - (Import) (Complete plan quick-view)

Available for: Silver members
Duration: 140 days (20 weeks)
This program should be used for an athlete who is coming off a season where they have already raced a Sprint Distance triathlon or they are looking at a very basic start up program.

This is under programs for BT........

Not sure this will be enough to get to Olympic level...but after I finish the 20 weeks I will have to reassess,- I think I am at like week 4 or 5,  I will look to see what other programs make sens after that ..I was not originally going to do an Olympic, but I have been inspired...so I typed it into my goals for September.....

How many Sprints did you do last year?
2009-12-31 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2586664

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
I was lazy and only did one this summer. My training partners kind of fell by the wayside and I was working a lot of hours...I know, I know...excuses. So, that's why I decided to re-devote myself. I missed that feeling I had the first year training and competing. ..so here I am. There is one sprint I want to do in August and the OLY in May and I don't know what else at this point...guess we'll see about more as we go along...see how the training and the body respond.

2009-12-31 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2586616

User image

Veteran
Thanks good info...have you read ...Born to Run...great book about Ultra's ....very entertaining...highly recommend it... BTW I group up as "Chip" most of my life...changed over when I was about 28..... needed to leave the old me behind....long story...but a good one that I am extremely grateful for.
2009-12-31 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2586533

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Hollz - 2009-12-31 12:41 PM 
Have a terrific reso run! That should definitely keep you in check!! For me...until sunday....I am EATING and DRINKING. Ha! Hot buttered rum in the hot tub at midnight...mmmm.
But seriously, everyone have a great weekend and Happy New Year!
Holly

Have a great time hot tubbing at midnight! It's raining here and the fireworks are going off like crazy and the dogs are nervous and scared. We would go out to the hot tub too tonight, but since it's cold and rainy we're just going to stay in! LOL about your weekend plans before Monday....I want to do that too!

Hollz - 2009-12-31 12:48 PM
HNewman - 2009-12-31 9:04 AM We're actually the same person... no, I'm joking.

Heather

How many Michiganers (Michiganites? Michis?) do we have in this group? Cool

Okay, so I'm jealous...there are Michiganders (at least 3 from what I've counted) and then there's Dud and Marmadaddy in upstate NY.....I know there isn't anyone but me in Louisiana....that sux!! Actually, I am usually the only one from the South in my group anyway. And no, I'm not a native Louisianian or Southerner.....I was born in Southeast Asia....Singapore to be exact, but I am a true American now, having lived in the US for over 22 years (I'm 36). Anyway, more than you wanted to know about me. 

snaproll - 2009-12-31 1:14 PM

Warning:   Long Post Alert!!

I always take a lot of encouragement, information, and inspiration from groups like this.  Generally I don’t have a lot to offer, but here’s my attempt to encourage and inform at the onset of 2010.

And now for the inspirational portion of this post. 
My top three inspirational videos for 2009:

#3 – UltraMarathon Man - Dean Karnazes runs 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states.  He’s an animal

#2 - Spirit of the Marathon – God, I love this video.  It documents six people in their preparation for the Chicago marathon.  Includes one of my heroes, Deena Kastor.

#1 – Bicycle Dreams – I’ve watched this video a dozen times or more.  Documents the Race Across America and it’s WONDERFUL.  Stephen Auerbach has won a bunch of awards for this documentary and they’re well deserved.  And the people who do this? They’re cyborgs.  Prepare to feel insignificant and weak. (Wow, that doesn't sound very inspiring does it?  Trust me.  It is.)

Happy New Year everyone.  Let’s all work harder in 2010 than we did in 2009.

Chip

Thank you for the long post, Chip!! I really enjoyed reading it. I agree with you on the nutrition logging thing. I'll be doing a nutrition challenge with my Crossfit gym starting on Monday and so I will be logging my nutrition....additionally I also got a BodyBugg for xmas and it also calls for food logging as well. I've always been hesitant and RESISTANT to food logging because I was subconsciously not wanting to know the truth about my eating. I hate the idea of a diet or dieting, but I am learning (you would think I should have known this by now!!) that 90% of weight loss is about nutrition.

And THANK YOU for the inspiration video list. I have seen Spirit of the Marathon and heard of the Ultraman but never seen the video. I will definitely be checking those out in 2010.

You said, "Happy New Year everyone.  Let’s all work harder in 2010 than we did in 2009."

Amen, brother!!

Edited by zeefraugtries 2009-12-31 6:38 PM
2009-12-31 7:31 PM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

THE CLOCKS HAVE MOVED OVER HERE IN THE UK OVER INTO THE BEGINNING OF NOT JUST A NEW YEAR BUT A WHOLE NEW DECADE ( WHERE DID THE LAST ONE GO!!!)

Being the first into the new "YECADE" I am looking forward to Blogging with you all on the training, nutrition, races and our highs and lows to come in the next year. I hope although new to triathlon my previous sporting background will enable me to add something to the group.

All the best with your plans in the coming days. The first steps are always the hardest. We may all stumble or fall at times in the months to come but its the recovery that counts and knowing none of us are on our own through this journey.

I will leave you for now with some words from a famous sportsman who started out as a triathlete and went on to be the worlds greatest in his sport (NAME THAT PERSON)

"PAIN IS TEMPORARY"
"IT MAY LAST A MINUTE, OR AN HOUR, OR A DAY OR A YEAR
BUT EVENTUALLY IT WILL SUBSIDE AND SOMETHING ELSE WILL TAKE ITS PLACE
IF I QUIT HOWEVER IT LASTS FOREVER"

2009-12-31 7:40 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Food loggers might be interested in the Daily Plate, too - it's got pretty much every food under the sun already entered, so it makes it *really* easy to log: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate.

Happy New Year, everyone!!!
2009-12-31 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2587184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
MAC36 - 2009-12-31 7:31 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

THE CLOCKS HAVE MOVED OVER HERE IN THE UK OVER INTO THE BEGINNING OF NOT JUST A NEW YEAR BUT A WHOLE NEW DECADE ( WHERE DID THE LAST ONE GO!!!)

Being the first into the new "YECADE" I am looking forward to Blogging with you all on the training, nutrition, races and our highs and lows to come in the next year. I hope although new to triathlon my previous sporting background will enable me to add something to the group.

All the best with your plans in the coming days. The first steps are always the hardest. We may all stumble or fall at times in the months to come but its the recovery that counts and knowing none of us are on our own through this journey.

I will leave you for now with some words from a famous sportsman who started out as a triathlete and went on to be the worlds greatest in his sport (NAME THAT PERSON)

"PAIN IS TEMPORARY"
"IT MAY LAST A MINUTE, OR AN HOUR, OR A DAY OR A YEAR
BUT EVENTUALLY IT WILL SUBSIDE AND SOMETHING ELSE WILL TAKE ITS PLACE
IF I QUIT HOWEVER IT LASTS FOREVER"

Hmmm.......would that be Lance Armstrong?

Interesting fact: Lance Armstrong was 16 when he competed at the RiverCities Triathlon here in my neck of the woods. He still holds the the all time fastest finish time for that triathlon....to this day. It's actually a great triathlon with probably the best swag bag you can dream of. I've done that triathlon twice.

Happy New Year!!

Edited by zeefraugtries 2009-12-31 8:18 PM

2010-01-01 4:12 AM
in reply to: #2587226

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
Correct Zee

A record thats been held for best part of 20+ years now. Whats the bet he could return and beat it now. Have seen him ride at the Tour De France. Impressive would be an understatement.

Have a good new year
2010-01-01 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Happy New Year, new friends!!!!

It will be a good year.  I started with my healthy eating program today.  I am hoping it helps get rid of this headache that has plagued me for the past 5 days. I get a lot of headaches but I had a time period where they went away earlier this month and I was eating better.  The swimming did not help yesterday.  I ended up taking some sudafed to dry up my sinuses.  I think that I must've sucked in a lot of chlorine water, more than I thought.  But swimming felt good and I felt strong and balanced.  (its my weakness so I celebrate all successes in the water).

I, too, am doing the winter prep/4-7 hour plan.  I am doing that for a time period that I adjusted and then programmed a sprint plan (I don't remember which one and the BT site only tells you the last one that you enter), and then after my 1st sprint, I start the sprint to oly bridge to get me to where I want to be.  I may relook at that.  I am registering for the USAF half marathon today (reduced rates today only).  2010 is beginning!!!!

2010-01-01 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2587382

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Happy New Year, folks!!!!

MAC36 - 2010-01-01 4:12 AM Correct Zee

A record thats been held for best part of 20+ years now. Whats the bet he could return and beat it now. Have seen him ride at the Tour De France. Impressive would be an understatement.

Have a good new year

Watching Lance ride at the Tour de France would be a dream come true (actually more so for my partner, she loves Lance). It's just cool to say that I've done a triathlon that Lance used to do...on the same course! 
jogo - 2010-01-01 9:41 AM

It will be a good year.  I started with my healthy eating program today.  I am hoping it helps get rid of this headache that has plagued me for the past 5 days. I get a lot of headaches but I had a time period where they went away earlier this month and I was eating better.  The swimming did not help yesterday.  I ended up taking some sudafed to dry up my sinuses.  I think that I must've sucked in a lot of chlorine water, more than I thought.  But swimming felt good and I felt strong and balanced.  (its my weakness so I celebrate all successes in the water).

I, too, am doing the winter prep/4-7 hour plan.  I am doing that for a time period that I adjusted and then programmed a sprint plan (I don't remember which one and the BT site only tells you the last one that you enter), and then after my 1st sprint, I start the sprint to oly bridge to get me to where I want to be.  I may relook at that.  I am registering for the USAF half marathon today (reduced rates today only).  2010 is beginning!!!!

jogo - 2010-01-01 9:41 AM

Amen!!!!! Good on you for starting your new healthy eating today!! I've got black eyed peas on the stove and cabbage and cornbread to go on later. I'm into this cooking kick lately....made my first crown roast of pork for a Christmas dinner a few weeks ago. Of course, no more of this type of cooking for at least a month because I'll be starting the paleo diet come Monday as a nutrition challenge for Crossfit.

I need to start looking at a more defined training plan as you have done. I don't have one yet. Proud of you for getting started and making strong goals.

Cheers to 2010 starting off well!!!!!

2010-01-01 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2587603

User image

Veteran
jogo - 2010-01-01 10:41 AM

My wife used to get lots of headaches( migranes) her diet had everything to do with it, plus stress. Sounds like a great plan to get to the Oly....
2010-01-01 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2587727

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
zeefraugtries - 2010-01-01 11:28 AM Happy New Year, folks!!!!

...I've got black eyed peas on the stove and cabbage and cornbread to go on later.

Sharon,

Which part of the country do you live in?  I'm putting black eyed peas on in a few minutes (unfortunately, there won't be any ham hock to go in it this year).  I thought that was only a southern thing.

Chip

2010-01-01 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I'm putting a chicken in one of those rottisiere ovens today.  Has anyone every used a rottisiere before?  The thing talks about "injecting" spices and such into the chicken before cooking.  Hopefully it turns out okay.  My in-laws got us this oven thing for Christmas and I'd like to be able to start using it. 

2010-01-01 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2587735

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
snaproll - 2010-01-01 11:32 AM
zeefraugtries - 2010-01-01 11:28 AM Happy New Year, folks!!!!

...I've got black eyed peas on the stove and cabbage and cornbread to go on later.

Sharon,

Which part of the country do you live in?  I'm putting black eyed peas on in a few minutes (unfortunately, there won't be any ham hock to go in it this year).  I thought that was only a southern thing.

Chip

I'm in Shreveport, Louisiana. Have lived here going on 10 years now, so I guess I'm a Southerner, now? I got the black eyed pea idea from all my patients talking about cooking them, so I caught the fever. The peas are done. I'm debating the cabbage (I love it, but my partner hates the smell!) and I'll make the cornbread later.

Got the LSU Capital One Bowl on right now....geaux Tigers!!!!!

BTW...where are you located? We probably drove right by last week when we were driving up to Missouri. We have to through Arkansas. We ALWAYS stop at the Wal-Mart in Rogers....my favorite Wal-Mart although I was disappointed this year because there was hardly any after-xmas stuff left on Sunday.

Edited by zeefraugtries 2010-01-01 2:01 PM
2010-01-01 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2587763

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
jogo - 2010-01-01 11:53 AM

I'm putting a chicken in one of those rottisiere ovens today.  Has anyone every used a rottisiere before?  The thing talks about "injecting" spices and such into the chicken before cooking.  Hopefully it turns out okay.  My in-laws got us this oven thing for Christmas and I'd like to be able to start using it. 

Don't have the rottisiere oven, but I've baked many chickens before...I use this contraption thing where you stick the chicken over it and the chicken sits up....cooks it well. I usually marinate my chicken overnight with spices, seasoned salt etc and it turns out quite well. Have never used the injector thingie. Let us know how it comes out!!

We bought an upright smoker this summer...charcoal...and we love it. We've smoked brisket, chicken and a roast....all came out really well.

Can you tell I love to cook? The paleo nutrition challenge thing is going to be hard!

2010-01-01 2:41 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
I'm looking forward to cooking a lot more... just with more veggies.

We're doing the black-eyed peas thing today too!

Zee, we'll make you an honorary northerner. I'll also steal all your tips for tri-ing in the heat, since I'm in Louisville at the end of August... where I'm told it can be 95 degrees on race day. Given that we might hit 95 for 5 minutes on the hottest day of the year here, training for the weather is going to be a challenge.

Happy New Year, everybody! I was so surprised and happy to see so many people out there already kicking butt on January 1.

Heather
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19