BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-07 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2583522

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
Tip of the day, Jan. 7, 2010

Reward yourself for workouts.

It's hard enough getting in a workout with all the other commitments we have. Make sure to give yourself a reward. If you are not dieting, give yourself one food treat/sweet for each workout. If you are eating clean, give yourself another kind of reward, like five minutes alone, or a cup of good tea or a massage from one of your kids (not always painless, but usually better than nothing!).

I've always been pretty determined to mark off the workouts on my plan, but I find I'm even more eager to do them if it means I get a cookie!

2010-01-08 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2601653

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
I love the HTFU phrase! That has applicability in other parts of my life as well. BK - just start, I know the all or nothing too, but you have to start somewhere and now is as good a time as any. I started running last May/June and now typically run 5 miles a day and have been trying to find the bike and swim at least three times a week. I'm to the point now that when I don't get a work out in - I feel like poop so just start and know that the first 2-3 weeks will be daunting but then it becomes habit and a way of life. I second Alice's kick!
2010-01-08 5:49 PM

New user

Cheers Alice - I'm working up to all crawl!

All the plans I could find were daunting for us non-crawl people so I liked this starter one.

HTFU - I drove 450 miles today, got back and went for a 30 minute run in the snow - that's the furthest I've run in a long time.

Bring it on.........

Pat ;-)

P.S. Keep up the good work.

2010-01-08 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2604012

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Awesome Pat! 450 miles in a car is daunting enough - way to get out for a run in the snow and shake off that drive.
2010-01-09 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2601653

New user

Perfect, just what the doctor ordered. Love HTFU! I'll be in the pool today at 4pm after I pick up some new running shoes then study then to the pool. Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Question about the pool etiquette... My gym has a 3 lane lap pool. If there are 3 people swimming, do I get in and split a lane? I'm not sure what appropriate in that case.
2010-01-09 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2604012

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-01-08 6:49 PM

Cheers Alice - I'm working up to all crawl!

All the plans I could find were daunting for us non-crawl people so I liked this starter one.

HTFU - I drove 450 miles today, got back and went for a 30 minute run in the snow - that's the furthest I've run in a long time.

Bring it on.........

Pat ;-)

P.S. Keep up the good work.

NICELY DONE!!!
I had a snow run today and it was extremely challenging.

2010-01-09 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2604731

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
demireba - 2010-01-09 11:02 AM Perfect, just what the doctor ordered. Love HTFU! I'll be in the pool today at 4pm after I pick up some new running shoes then study then to the pool. Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Question about the pool etiquette... My gym has a 3 lane lap pool. If there are 3 people swimming, do I get in and split a lane? I'm not sure what appropriate in that case.

Etiquette would be to watch for a minute and see which swimmer is closest in speed to you.
Then wait for them to stop at the wall, and ask if you can either split the lane or circle swim. (Circle swim means always swim on the right side - down AND back, so you are swimming in a circle. It's necessary to learn circle swimming when there are 3 or more people in the lane. With two people, splitting the lane is usually easier, especially if you are of different speeds.)

If in doubt, you can ask the lifeguard. He or she usually knows the regulars, and can tell you if one of them generally only does 5 laps and is about to get out, or if one person is grumpy or doesn't like to share or whatever.

If you have trouble getting someone's attention at the wall (they are in the middle of a long set) the first choice would be to pick a different lane. The second choice would be to wave your hand or a kick board down in front of the wall as they are approaching the wall. (Not during the flip turn, though.)

Good luck!
2010-01-09 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip for the day: Jan. 9, 2010
Swimming: Develop a routine with your stuff, and set up your gym bag so everything has it's own spot. You may want to grab a toiletry case or some other organizer from around the house to help with this.
For we people with many commitments, swimming is the most time-consuming to fit in, because you always have drive time. By honing your pre-swim prep (suit on, grab cap, goggles and water bottle, rinse off and put cap on in shower, etc.) you can minimize the amount of time you spend in the locker room.

I like to take my gym back out on the pool deck with me so I can save the time I would spend fiddling with a locker. This also allows me to go straight from the pool to the shower without having to go back to a locker and get my shampoo or whatever.

Also, just wanted to add that one of my prior tips paid off on Friday. After doing my early morning Masters swim and a 7am boot camp at the Y, I learned that I had a snow day from work. I called dh (abbrev: Dear Husband), who had a packed schedule with himself and the kids, and he said I could help by going to the Y and helping a friend take her kids and our kids swimming while dh was at the doctor. "Do you have a swimsuit with you?" I momentarily froze because my regular suit lives in my locker at the swim team pool to minimize hauling stuff around on a work day. But luckily I had followed my own advice and had a spare suit and cap and goggles in my gym bag with me!
2010-01-09 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2605298

New user

Thanks Alice. Did my first swim today; 350 meters. Frequent breaks, but it felt great. Picked up some new running shoes as well today. GAME ON!
2010-01-10 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2605552

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
demireba - 2010-01-09 11:11 PM Thanks Alice. Did my first swim today; 350 meters. Frequent breaks, but it felt great. Picked up some new running shoes as well today. GAME ON!

Nice job! Those first swims are the hardest. Getting out the door and putting on the swim stuff is the biggest battle, I think.
2010-01-10 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member

Definitely a family-tri balance day today. Here are my notes from my training log. Lesson learned - I should have just gotten up early to do this trainer ride.

Had a little bit of a frustrating trainer ride. I was just planning to do one hour, consisting of a 10-minute warm-up, and then one minute each side of one-legged drills on 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 40 minutes and 50 minutes.

Anyway, I put on "The Distance," a documentary by a BT person about IM Wisconsin. I got it all set up to where I left off, and dh set the kids up with a snack upstairs. Eventually they finished, and he was doing school work, so they filtered downstairs by me and started shouting questions to me and getting too close to the bike and talking over the film. I wouldn't have cared so much about interacting with them, except I was getting annoyed that the film was on and I couldn't hear it, and I couldn't stop the DVD player from where I was on the bike.
Dh came down and asked if things were OK and I asked him if he could just turn it off because I was getting annoyed. He turned if off and moved some stuff to make a barrier the kids couldn't cross. Then he took my daughter (5) to the store. My son (3) is usually good when alone, but he kept pushing past the barrier, "accidentally" throwing things where he would have to cross in order to get them back. I was at 48 minutes now and the end was in sight, but I was getting really irritated and scolded him and told him to sit on the couch. He got really mad at me and got pouty.
I just felt like this is one of those times when the balance is really hard. Weekends are really the only time when I train at a time they are awake. I should have just gotten up early to do the ride. It wasn't anyone's fault. I just realized, I guess, that I'm not too good at doing the trainer and interacting with the kids. I get really irritated quickly. I'll try to plan accordingly in the future. I usually do the workout at rest hour/naptime, but today we cleaned the house during that time, which needed done.
Like I said, no one's fault, but I didn't feel like I had a good workout.

2010-01-10 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip for the day, Jan. 10, 2010

Before you buy anything for this sport, check out the Gear Reviews on BT. There's a wealth of information. This sport can get expensive, and if you are going to lay out dough for something, you don't want to find out later that 20 people on BT already tried it, hated it, and posted about it!
2010-01-11 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2606196

New user

Day 1 of spinning class. Alarm goes off at 5am... my new mantra... HTFU! Man that felt good. Tomorrow I run and Wednesday in the pool.

The air here in Salt Lake City sucks! Thank God for gyms. For such a health conscious state, you would think we could clean up the air here. Sorry, had to vent. Have a great week everyone.
BK

Edited by demireba 2010-01-11 8:20 AM
2010-01-11 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2607045

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Did you like the spinning? This is the first year I have done it regularly. I think it's going to pay off later. But I do have a hard time getting my heart rate up high. I'll take any suggestions.

2010-01-11 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Alice - I'm sorry to hear about the frustrations on the Trainer yesterday.  I am really bad at early mornings but I often feel that I need to figure that out because it will help me feel less guilt. My little guy is 3 also and I know the routine of "throwing things" just beyond where they should be all too well - I think our kids know how to push our buttons and they do so as a test to us - what can we do and what can we handle. I just laugh at that point and remind myself of all the times I am sure I pushed my parents buttons.

Did my first Splash and Dash Race (1000 yard swim and 5K run). I beat met my goal time of doing it in under an hour (57:25). The outdoor running conditions were a little rough, it was like 8 degrees and there was some thick and slippery snow on parts of the route that made it a little challenging. It also would have been helpful if I wouldn't have had to stop and pee during the transition - oh well, free minutes off the next time. It was a lot of fun and all the people there were really great. It never seizes to amaze me at how nice everyone, who is involved with triathlons, seems to be. Many of the people I talked to were all on the "you should do triathlons" band wagon and told me that if I could complete the splash and dash in under an hour that doing a sprint triathlon would be a walk in the park. In any case, I am looking forward to doing the second Splash and Dash in February and the third and final of the series in March. Here's to another great week of training.

2010-01-11 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2607276

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
ddiamond - 2010-01-11 10:38 AM

Alice - I'm sorry to hear about the frustrations on the Trainer yesterday.  I am really bad at early mornings but I often feel that I need to figure that out because it will help me feel less guilt. My little guy is 3 also and I know the routine of "throwing things" just beyond where they should be all too well - I think our kids know how to push our buttons and they do so as a test to us - what can we do and what can we handle. I just laugh at that point and remind myself of all the times I am sure I pushed my parents buttons.

Did my first Splash and Dash Race (1000 yard swim and 5K run). I beat met my goal time of doing it in under an hour (57:25). The outdoor running conditions were a little rough, it was like 8 degrees and there was some thick and slippery snow on parts of the route that made it a little challenging. It also would have been helpful if I wouldn't have had to stop and pee during the transition - oh well, free minutes off the next time. It was a lot of fun and all the people there were really great. It never seizes to amaze me at how nice everyone, who is involved with triathlons, seems to be. Many of the people I talked to were all on the "you should do triathlons" band wagon and told me that if I could complete the splash and dash in under an hour that doing a sprint triathlon would be a walk in the park. In any case, I am looking forward to doing the second Splash and Dash in February and the third and final of the series in March. Here's to another great week of training.

Wow, that's awesome!! So you went from swimming inside, to running in 8 degree cold? Man! Props to you, my friend!
Way to go breaking one hour! I agree a sprint is definitely do-able with that background.  If you have an open water swim, you can just pee in the water before you finish the swim, and save lots of time, LOL!

I also love how nice people are in this sport. Triathlons are one of the few events where I feel I can just walk up to a total stranger and start talking to them.

Congratulations!

hey Group: Here's his race report! Make sure to fill one out for all your races!http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=192859

Nice job on 3rd in your age group!!!

2010-01-11 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip for the day, Jan. 11, 2010

My list of things I ALWAYS have with me. Kind of like my purse, but for triathlon. I don't leave this in the car because of the electronics.

1) Old travel toiletry organizer bag that has a hook for hanging and zips closed (to carry everything)
2) Garmin 305 stopwatch and heartrate monitor with GPS (I use this to record all my workouts)
3) Heart rate strap (see above)
4) cord that connects Garmin to the computer, so I can upload workouts when I have time (at work or home) and charge Garmin
5) Road ID ankle strap (roadid.com)
6) Balaclava (this is something like a ski mask, but made of a breathable synthetic)
7) My good sunglasses with the clear and amber lenses you can switch out

That's it. This accounts for most of the stuff I only have one of. Anything I have more than one of (clothing, shoes, gloves, socks, etc.) I just keep an extra set at work or in the car.
2010-01-11 4:12 PM

New user

After my run home from work in the snow, I had dinner and helped the wife get the kids in bed.

Then thought about going swimming, then though naaaa, have a quiet night, then HTFU'd myself.

1 mile in 45 minutes and 18 lengths non stop crawl - new pb for the mile and I had only ever managed 8 lengths non-stop before.

Big pat on my back for making myself go.

Unlucky with the bike Alice - just bad timing I guess!

Not really been on my bike for three weeks since the snow started, but I'm there as soon as it all melts - at least you got 48 minutes....

Pat...

2010-01-11 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2608378

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Wow - congrats on the PR for the mile Pat - that's great! How are you keeping track of your distance in the pool? I can't seem to keep track and whenever I come home my husband asks me how far I swam and I always just laugh and tell him - I don't know. Do you have a tool or piece of gear that keeps track of that for you?

Thanks Pat,
DJ

2010-01-11 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Nice job Pat! I have a hard time going for a workout once the kids are in bed. Much as I hate getting up at 5 a.m., I'm much more reliable about it than going after 8 p.m. It wasn't always that way, though.

Counting laps - I'm skipping my tip of the day tomorrow to give you this now, LOL!

Some people just count the number. Some count by hundreds, thinking 100, 100, 100 for the whole hundred, then switching. These methods have never worked for me, so I came up with this system:

Each 100 is a month. (4 weeks=4 laps)
Since we already associate a number with each month in our heads, it's easy to figure out.

During my "January" hundred I think about January. I think about birthdays of people in January, or races or holidays.
Same for each month after. It's easy for me to remember whether I'm on the first half of the month or the second half.

When I get to December, I know I'm on my 12th hundred, or 1200 yards. (Dec = 12th month)

Then I start over. So one mile is a whole year, and on through to the following April.

Kind of weird and maybe overly complicated, but my brain is wired to think about something else during a distance swim, and my brain is wired to know which month is which number, so it works for me.

2010-01-12 1:18 PM

New user

Cheers.

I count lengths in 4's - just seems to click with me and I'm trying to do everything in multiples of 4's to make it easy to remember.

Good non-stop target to aim for as well (4's) if you're a real beginner like me.

There were some triathletes in the pool last night - 1st time I've seen some at my pool and they were in the next lane to me and made me realise how much work i have to do to get up to a decent standard!

Where are all the other folk in the group - would be nice to hear how everyone's training was going.

Pat ;-)

2010-01-12 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hi everybody! Anyone who is reading the thread regularly can go to the other people's training logs and write them "Inspires" under the link "Inspire Me" for each day. Maybe that will get some people posting here again and liven it up!
2010-01-12 3:25 PM

New user

Hey Pat, Alice and group, sorry I haven't participated much via posts lately, but I do have to say that I have read each and every post (via email from my iphone) and am learning a ton and have continued to stay inspired.  I have been keeping up my training log, but lately havent been able to train as much.  My wife had a baby last thursday and its been kinda hectic.  Yup a beautiful little girl {I know I am biased, but she's a cutie Laughing} I was able to fit in a 250m swim on Sunday and hoping to get on some sort of 'normal' routine real soon.  I have an 8k coming up on March 21 and need to get it in gear to do well.   I haven't signed up for an outdoor tri yet.  I saw folks in the forums talking about the Sullivan Tri in Central Illinois where its a 400 meter swim in the pool, 13.5 bike outside and 5k and was really thinking that could be my next TRI, but was disappointed to find out that its 4-5 hours away from me.  The Chicago TRI in August just seems too aggressive for me, especially just learning how to swim 2 months ago.  Who knows, maybe I will still try the Chicago TRI especially with all of yall support on here!

{Pat}About the 18 straight lenghts... WOW! I can not wait to be able to get to that point.  I have only been able to do 2 straight and was winded. I have been getting lessons and seem to be getting better each time I make it to the pool.

{DJ} Congrats on your Splash and Dash! Awesome job! I have found too how nice triathletes are and so willing to share tips and encouragement.

{Alice}, I just saw the inspire that you sent me regarding boot camp. I missed that... Thanks so much!!

Well, hope to post more in the coming days and thanks for sharing your routines.

2010-01-12 4:54 PM

New user

2 is good! I was struggling to do 1 less than 3 months ago.

It does get easier - I promise.

Keep it up and congrats on the baby - sleepless nights ahead for you lol!

Pat...

2010-01-12 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2610230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
askinner13 - 2010-01-12 4:25 PM

Hey Pat, Alice and group, sorry I haven't participated much via posts lately, but I do have to say that I have read each and every post (via email from my iphone) and am learning a ton and have continued to stay inspired.  I have been keeping up my training log, but lately havent been able to train as much.  My wife had a baby last thursday and its been kinda hectic.  Yup a beautiful little girl {I know I am biased, but she's a cutie Laughing} I was able to fit in a 250m swim on Sunday and hoping to get on some sort of 'normal' routine real soon.  I have an 8k coming up on March 21 and need to get it in gear to do well.   I haven't signed up for an outdoor tri yet.  I saw folks in the forums talking about the Sullivan Tri in Central Illinois where its a 400 meter swim in the pool, 13.5 bike outside and 5k and was really thinking that could be my next TRI, but was disappointed to find out that its 4-5 hours away from me.  The Chicago TRI in August just seems too aggressive for me, especially just learning how to swim 2 months ago.  Who knows, maybe I will still try the Chicago TRI especially with all of yall support on here!

{Pat}About the 18 straight lenghts... WOW! I can not wait to be able to get to that point.  I have only been able to do 2 straight and was winded. I have been getting lessons and seem to be getting better each time I make it to the pool.

{DJ} Congrats on your Splash and Dash! Awesome job! I have found too how nice triathletes are and so willing to share tips and encouragement.

{Alice}, I just saw the inspire that you sent me regarding boot camp. I missed that... Thanks so much!!

Well, hope to post more in the coming days and thanks for sharing your routines.

Congrats on the beautiful baby girl! What a wonderful way to start the new year! My parents got us one of those digital photo frames for Xmas and as a bonus loaded the  picture card for the frame with a bunch of photos including many from when our son was born 3 years ago. I absolutely love it - it cracks me up to see the photos of me when I was 9+ months pregnant (my son was 2.5 weeks late) especially the pictures of my bowling (yes I said bowling) two days before I delivered. I hope that your wife's labor and delivery went smoothly and that you are all happy and healthy and getting adusted at home. I had to have a C-Section so the first few days at home weren't as smooth as we'd hoped they would be but we eventually got the hang of it - ahh memory lane.

Way to go in getting the swim in and it is understandable with a new baby at home that getting training in is difficult but good for you in getting the swim in and I am sure you are on the path (or will be soon) to getting ready for the 8K.

Thank god for technology and your being able to keep up with your IPhone. Congrats again on your beautiful baby girl.

Smiles,

DJ

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12