BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-15 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2615069

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full
Whato - 2010-01-14 9:52 PM Ok justTRIn,

Love that name totally cool. Any how, I'll try and keep you to your goals, without becoming a bother. I'll even make a few suggestions My first one would be to take your general goal #3 and make it your first priority! Forget the push ups quit smoking - you'll live longer and it will make everything else easier.  Really dude smoking and running 1K at 4:00. For me, that is like running with a brick tied to your left foot. If you do it and still smoke - wow you would be smoking fast (forgive the pun) if you didn't smoke. I would also suggest that you forget distances and focus on length of workouts (swim, bike, run) so that you build a base. However, I think Sprint_DA would be the one to weight in here..... there are some great programs that you can load into your training log as part of this site.

So over the next few weeks, so you can send the love back, here are my goals as list within my train log on the site (I think you can see it?) and a few more I have not put on it as yet.

1) Building base on all sports (swim, run, and bike). Not working on any speed work at all - no interval training planned for January at all. February - I will commence swim intervals as the distance is now easily covered. I think my bike and run distances will be covered by January, but I will probably take February as well to solidify the base prior to interval training in these elements. In the swim for the rest of January - I want to get to consistent 5 stroke breaths, not the three I am currently on. I also want smooth strokes with focused roll and a solid catch. I also want to improve my flip. On the bike, as I build the base, I am attempting to get use to the different cadences. Do I know what 90, 100, and 120 feel like? And, are the rotations even all the way around? Finally, the run, my old sport (boy have I lost stuff here with age), my goals are no pain in the legs at all, staying off concrete, no running with groups until I have my legs back, and smiling for the last 10 minutes every time I run. 

2) Introduce a core program to augment the other training going on. (At least three core workouts a week) Not sure which days to include this with. So, if you folks have any thoughts let me know. Look at my planned schedule and you will see what I have going on.

3) Make my kids laugh and my wife smile - not at me, but with me.

See you online soon,
Whato

I just picked up a cadence meter and was surprised to find what the cadences feel like.  I found that my natural cadence is right around 90...I was pretty happy about that.  Even rotation has been a tough road for me.  I've been doing a lot of single-leg drills on the trainer.  Those have seemed to help a bit.  About 30 seconds at a time on each leg feels like a good length of time.

I would fit in the core work whenever it's easiest to fit in.  I don't think working core will hurt any other workout. 

2010-01-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2587085

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Sprint_DA,

Would you do a core on a day off? What is a single leg drill?

Lachlan
2010-01-15 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2616451

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-01-15 3:52 PM Sprint_DA,

Would you do a core on a day off? What is a single leg drill?

Lachlan

Core on a day off shouldn't be a bad idea.  Single leg drills are where you're riding on a trainer (I guess you could do it on the road but it'd be tougher) and you unclip one leg and pedal only with the other.  It makes you focus on pedaling in circles and will show you any dead spots in your pedaling.  You'll get a lot of clicking from your crank if you don't pedal smoothly.

Does that describe it well?
2010-01-15 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2616485

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
I think so, I will try it out. Thanks
2010-01-17 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Evening chaps, long time no post and ab it of abumph
Just back from a long weekish trip to various places and hope all are well! back to training tomorrow
2010-01-18 3:28 AM

So the week has already started here in Beijing.  Forced myself to do the core work this morning. 

This afternoon did some chest work and pull ups, followed by a 55 minute bike session.  Proud of myself on the bike, as I forgot my headphones and the only entertainment was the Chinese news, but the TV wasn't even facing me.  

Good workout though and glad to get in a good weight/cardio session.

Good luck as you guys kick off the week. 

2010-01-18 6:15 AM
in reply to: #2619166

User image

Davenport, IA
justTRIn - 2010-01-18 3:28 AM So the week has already started here in Beijing.  Forced myself to do the core work this morning. 

This afternoon did some chest work and pull ups, followed by a 55 minute bike session.  Proud of myself on the bike, as I forgot my headphones and the only entertainment was the Chinese news, but the TV wasn't even facing me.  

Good workout though and glad to get in a good weight/cardio session.

Good luck as you guys kick off the week. 

Sounds like a very solid start to the week.  What does everyone else have on tap for today?  I'm headed to the gym in 15 mins to swim, and then I've got a bike workout and another swim this evening.
2010-01-18 2:24 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
I did 1,500 meter or 1640.41 yards in the pool and I have a bike planned for this evening. I love starting the week like this!
2010-01-18 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2619197

User image

Los Angeles
Feeling up today, I have 30 min with a personal trainer followed by 30 min on the bike and 30 on elliptical. 

I was hoping to swim today but it's raining, and it may seem dumb but I don't want to swim in the rain.

BonnieB
2010-01-18 8:24 PM

Must be nice to have the option to swim in the rain...I don't know of any outdoor pools in Beijing.
2010-01-19 5:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Still way too cold here. We just made it outta the 30s.  Will be swimming inside for awhile, no polar bear plunging for me. 

2010-01-19 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2621026

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-01-19 5:06 AM Still way too cold here. We just made it outta the 30s.  Will be swimming inside for awhile, no polar bear plunging for me. 

You're out of the 30's?  Lucky!  We just made it to 30. 

Sounds like everyone has had a good start to their week.  Have any of you come up with new questions or concerns?
2010-01-19 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2620718

User image

Expert
Cambridge
justTRIn - 2010-01-19 2:24 AM Must be nice to have the option to swim in the rain...I don't know of any outdoor pools in Beijing.

I'm quite lucky where i live as we have this :

100m outdoor pool. Perfect for training in a wetsuit!
I did some football on monday night but got up today with a bit of a sore shoulder, went for a walk but nothing serious. Will try and hit the bike tomorrow all being a nice day.!

2010-01-19 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2622864

User image

Davenport, IA
SteveyD - 2010-01-19 6:51 PM
justTRIn - 2010-01-19 2:24 AM Must be nice to have the option to swim in the rain...I don't know of any outdoor pools in Beijing.

I did some football on monday night but got up today with a bit of a sore shoulder, went for a walk but nothing serious. Will try and hit the bike tomorrow all being a nice day.!

Wow!  That is an amazing pool!  100m, seriously?
2010-01-19 9:08 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
100 meter pool - wow that is unbelievable.
2010-01-19 9:09 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
I hear you BonnieB, nothing worse than swimming in the rain - you get so wet. lol At least I find myself funny.

2010-01-20 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2623120

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey Steve,

Can I use yours, I am still looking for one.
2010-01-20 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2623120

User image

Los Angeles
Whato - 2010-01-19 8:09 PM I hear you BonnieB, nothing worse than swimming in the rain - you get so wet. lol At least I find myself funny.

I think so too, and After realizing there will be lots of rain this winter and the pool is heated. I will stop being a such a sissy and start swiming rain or shine 3x a week or I will never get past 1st leg of the race.  Swimming is me weakest spot. 

btw I finding that swimsmooth.com website to be really helpful for a beginneer like me.

oh, and I hear by quit using weather as an excuse, cuz yall all have worse weather than me(or is it I).Cool
2010-01-21 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2622894

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Sprint_DA - 2010-01-20 1:11 AM

well, 100 yards apparently, its quite an old pool .

Went on a cycle today, couldn't go in a straight line, wonder if its something to do with what you said about single leg stuff before Dan, everytime i pushed down on my left leg i tilted right a bit and so on.
2010-01-21 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2626495

User image

Davenport, IA
SteveyD - 2010-01-21 11:49 AM
Sprint_DA - 2010-01-20 1:11 AM

well, 100 yards apparently, its quite an old pool .

Went on a cycle today, couldn't go in a straight line, wonder if its something to do with what you said about single leg stuff before Dan, everytime i pushed down on my left leg i tilted right a bit and so on.

You had your bicycle checked over after your crash right? 

And you're making sure to look out ahead of you when you ride, right?  Like a decent ways ahead of you, like 20-30 meters?

Otherwise, try and make sure you have a nice round pedal stroke...pedaling circles.  If your stroke feels jerky, then you may want to work on the single leg drills to even it out.
2010-01-21 6:29 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Ok, question for you guys:

What scares or worries you the all the most about your upcoming races?  I know there's a lot of time for all of you, but what's on your mind(s)?

Edited by Sprint_DA 2010-01-21 6:30 PM

2010-01-21 10:47 PM
in reply to: #2627659

User image

Los Angeles

ok, not in any particular order, Transitions, but before that comes drowning, getting a flat tire, falling off the bike, being disqualifed by breaking a rule i didn't know about, being last across the finish or if there is a time limit not making it.

2010-01-22 4:16 AM
in reply to: #2627657

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Sprint_DA - 2010-01-22 12:28 AM
You had your bicycle checked over after your crash right? 

And you're making sure to look out ahead of you when you ride, right?  Like a decent ways ahead of you, like 20-30 meters?

Otherwise, try and make sure you have a nice round pedal stroke...pedaling circles.  If your stroke feels jerky, then you may want to work on the single leg drills to even it out.

Yeah i had it repaied on the gears wheel kink and the handlebars...
I guess i dont look too far ahead, tends to hurt my neck, and i dont think i sit far enough back on the saddle either :|
2010-01-22 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2627659

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
What scares me the most is getting beat by a friend who is 10yrs older then me.  Also the transition...need to practice.  I have Look pedals and it is very tough to run with those clips and shoes on...should I change my pedals or just chance running a short distance and not sliding and hitting the ground.  Any thoughts??
2010-01-22 2:11 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Generally - pushing to hard or not hard enough. I also worry about the washing machine effect, I am expecting in the swim, and just trying to find enough space to swim my rhythm.

In being passed by: the 12 year old on the swim; the 25 year old, on a mountain bike with flat tires, on the bike and; the 60 year old, running without shoes, on the run.  lol However, I hope I keep my sense of humor if it does happen.  

Edited by Whato 2010-01-22 2:18 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  

of 12