BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2010-01-07 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2599950

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED
vtgirl - 2010-01-07 10:05 AM  My brother was married in Birmingham. I remember getting stranded at a sushi bar near the 5 point intersection?

vtgirl,  Are you sure it was a sushi bar?  Down here we call that bait! Laughing

Enjoy your skiing.  That is a great cross training exercise that I wish we could do here.  I lived in Alaska for a few years and loved to ski there.

2010-01-07 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2592294

User image

Montana
Morning everyone hope it is warmer where you are than it is here.  It was -20 on my way to work today, uite the change as it was 40 degrees on Tuesday night when I ran.   Fortunately today is a swim day and then skiing all weekend, downhill and skate skiing.

"Aubiewood (Chrisyes Montana is a great place if you love to get out into the mountains and Big Sky is always fun.  Hope to get up there for a weekend of skiing in February.

2010-01-07 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2599748

User image

triton63 - 2010-01-07 7:56 AM
Aubiewood - 2010-01-07 12:41 AM "Aubiewood (Chris) from Bham, AL (guessing this is Southerner for Birmingham--like people from the North are supposed to recognize that there are any cities in the South)"

....and so it starts.  It's on now, JohnnyKay!  Maybe we can get a little North-South smack-talk going for the national championship game tomorrow night......oh, wait a minute, both teams are from the South....never mind. 

Chris, are you a bama fan or Aubie fan?  If an aubie fan will you cheer for bama tonight?  As a dawg fan I have to pull for the SEC team. 

It does sound like we will be getting some of that funny white stuff tonight.  I am scheduled to meet with a triathlon/master's swim coach tonight at 6:45 PM.  I hope they don't close the rec center because of a few snow flakes!

Auburn all the way.  If ANY other SEC school was in it, I'd pull for them.  But  living in Bham with all  these bammers has a way of turning you against them.  Hook'em Horns!
2010-01-07 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2599950

User image

vtgirl - 2010-01-07 9:05 AM Is Aubie for Auburn? Bama - Alabama? Sorry, I don't follow those sports or those teams, boyz! My brother was married in Birmingham. I remember getting stranded at a sushi bar near the 5 point intersection? I'm planning on x-country skiing today, but am getting some dissension from my daughter who thinks she's going snowboarding. We'll see if it'll happen, it's a beautiful day for skiing.

I admire you for not being caught up in this silliness.  Honestly I wish I wasn't.  No telling how many Saturday hours I've wasted!  I was actually the mascot at Auburn University for a couple of years back in the day, so my obsession is well-documented.    Have a great day on the mountian!
2010-01-07 10:35 AM

User image

Subject: JohnnyKay- advice
Johnny-

I'm reading Eric Harr's Triathlon Training.  He talks about the importance of eating and drinking properly one to two hours ahead of your workout time.  Unfortunately, the best time for me to run is at about 5:30am.  It's kind of a get up, get dressed, and go kind of thing.  Is this critical?  Or do I just have a quick something and some water when I get up, which would be like 5 minutes before training?

BTW- I am going to start the 20-wk Sprint Plan (2X) and am signing up for the Grandman in Fairhope, Alabama (June 5).

Chris
2010-01-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2598500

User image

Regular
Santa Barbara, CA

GM from the west coast!

Aye carumba, watched the news this morning, 2/3 of the country in a deep freeze,. I won't tell you that it's going to be 65 and sunny here in Santa Barbara today Cool

Ok gang, I am off to Mammoth Mtn skiing for a few days, leaving mid-day today and may not have WiFi available.
You all behave and train hard while I am gone!

Pamela

p.s. Suzanne: Great job setting up the Trainer ! C02 cartridges and I don't mix well

2010-01-07 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2600232

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay- advice
Aubiewood - 2010-01-07 11:35 AM Johnny-

I'm reading Eric Harr's Triathlon Training.  He talks about the importance of eating and drinking properly one to two hours ahead of your workout time.  Unfortunately, the best time for me to run is at about 5:30am.  It's kind of a get up, get dressed, and go kind of thing.  Is this critical?  Or do I just have a quick something and some water when I get up, which would be like 5 minutes before training?

BTW- I am going to start the 20-wk Sprint Plan (2X) and am signing up for the Grandman in Fairhope, Alabama (June 5).

Chris

Most days, I have a glass of OJ right before any of my am workouts.  Some people have a small snack, while others go with nothing.  I don't think it's a big deal unless you are doing a very long workout.  And then you probably want to make sure you are taking in some calories during exercise (sports drink/gels/bars/etc.)
2010-01-07 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2599509

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
bikemt1 - 2010-01-07 12:11 AM
bikemt1 (Jerry), another Canadian, coming from an Xterra/mtn. biking background looking to tackle the roads in a half ironman in June

Just to let you know up I am not Canadian, I am from Montana.

Oops, another mistake on my part.  I promise, that's the last won. 
2010-01-07 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2599384

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
lulubug - 2010-01-06 10:31 PM
A local coach around here is offering a one day tri clinic with gait analysis, taped swim sessions and group bike as well as nutrition, strength training, injury prevention etc. Thinking about signing up.  It is kinda pricey, but he is really good and i think the taped swim session alone would be worth it.  I am a decent swimmer, but am sure I could improve my stroke to get faster.  Any thoughts??

I've never done anything like this so can't really help much.  The swim taping might be good, especially if there's someone there to help you analyze it.  Although, if that's your main focus, then you might be better off finding someone who would do this in conjunction with a few swim lessons/workouts so yoou'd get the benefit of outside feedback when you attempt to make any stroke changes.  That would be something that would interest me more, but it's harder for me to say what would be worth it for you.
2010-01-07 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2600278

User image

All of this talk about weather has me depressed.  Not because I wish it were 68 and sunny here in DC like it is in CA, but because it is just so hard to train well when its so dang cold so consistently.  It just hurts to get out and run in 30 degree weather with even a 10mph wind.  I did 4 miles last night and it sucked.  So I'm on the treadmill more, which I hate - and it also aggravates my shin splints. 

I'm not asking for CA weather, I just want 10 degrees more, so my motivation to train isn't sucked out me.
2010-01-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2601090

User image

Montana
30 degrees would be a heat wave and another 10 it would be spring, it was 5 degrees when we ran last night.  No it is not typically this cold as it was 38 when I ran on Tuesday night and I was shedding clothes.   It was actually a great run at 5 degrees, though pretty chilly on the face and ears to start.  Anyway anything is better than running on a treadmill.  Hey it could be worse it was 20 below on my way to work this morning.  Hoping it gets to the teens tomorrow as I am going skiing.

2010-01-07 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2601152

User image

What are you wearing at 5 degrees?  Maybe I'm not dressed well enough.  Last night I wore a short sleeve tech tee under a long sleeve tech tee under a Brooks running jacket/pull over thing and tri shorts under Nike running tights with thick gloves.  I should have worn something on my head for sure, but I can't imagine wearing much more as I think it would all be too bulky and cumbersome. 
2010-01-07 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2601175

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
I always wear a hat.
2010-01-07 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2601175

User image

Montana

I was wearing shorts and warm sweat pants, cotton gloves, t-shirt, 2 long sleeve shirts all moisture wicking, a light jacket, a head band the first mile and then I used my son's neck thing ( not sure what it is called) as a hat for the other 3.5 miles.  I was actually overheating and had to unzip the coat and was still perspiring.   And sunglasses as it was bright out there. 

I try to start out cold knowing that as I run I will warm up and that if I am cold  running harder will warm me up.  As far as I am concerned when running outside the key is to keep your head, hands and feet warm.  A hat would probably make a big difference as that is where the body is losing all its heat.  Oh Ya there is one more part of the anatomy that you don't want to feel as though it might freeze off, happened last week skate skiing not pleasant.

2010-01-07 5:44 PM

User image

Montana

Also try not to where big bulky clothing, layering is by far the best.

2010-01-07 5:58 PM

Regular
I ran! Missed my x-country ski which I was bummed about, but I took advantage of a trip out to pick something up at folks house to have them watch the kids for a short bit. It was the first time I ran in I don't know how long.

Weather: Sunny, I think it was just above 20. It didn't feel brutally cold. I think I did all right layering, but I did get sweaty. Lower body was good, long johns and a wind shell. Upper body, one light layer of polypro, one mid weight polypro, and a fleece vest. I probably could have gone without the vest. Actually one light layer and a wind shell would have been ideal. Fleece hat (all sweaty now) and gloves.

The only problem I had was freezing toes. I got some feeling back by the end of the run. Feels like running on wood blocks when your toes are frozen up.

For a first run, it was somewhat humbling. I don't know why I work all summer to get into great shape only to let it slide and have to start from square one each spring. My hamstrings felt a little tight, probably from the trainer ride yesterday. I didn't push it too hard. I ran the flats and downhills, and walked the hill back up to the house. My max HR read 187! I don't think I've ever gotten a number that high! My avg was 157. Last summer my typical run average was 140-150. Room to improve!

2010-01-07 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2601478

User image

Vt, That outing should make a good benchmark for reference later! At least that's what I'm telling myself as I struggle through the beginnings of this.
2010-01-07 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2601551

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Yeah, it's definitely a good idea to keep things easy after a lay-off.  Our mids remember what we could do a few months ago, but our bodies remember sitting on the couch yesterday. 
2010-01-07 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2598039

User image

New York City
Mcluvin22 - 2010-01-06 1:26 PM

Hey Suzanne! I am in Caldwell near Montclair.

That's funny. I live in Oradell, near Paramus. Maybe we can arrange some group rides.

John
2010-01-07 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2601654

Regular
JohnOD - 2010-01-07 8:34 PM

Mcluvin22 - 2010-01-06 1:26 PM

Hey Suzanne! I am in Caldwell near Montclair.

That's funny. I live in Oradell, near Paramus. Maybe we can arrange some group rides.

John

Well, you and McCluvin can. I'm in Vermont. My mother used to be a school teacher in Cresskill which I think is very close to Oradell. I'll ride with anyone who wants to come tour the greens.

Suz
2010-01-07 8:19 PM

User image

cincinnati, ohio
i have been looking through everyones training logs - nice work!  question of the day - how important is strength training for IM?  My swim bike run workouts take up enough of my time, I cant imagine fitting in weight training too.  If i should be doing it, what is most important and can i get away with 1 day a week.  i would hate to waste a recovery day lifting.

2010-01-07 8:20 PM

User image

cincinnati, ohio
oh and the snow day threw a wrench in my training plan.  kids need to go to school Smile
2010-01-07 8:29 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA

As usual the snow and ice predicted for our area turned out to be nothing...just a little mist and and a few snow flakes.  The rec center was still open after work and I got on the stationary bike for 32 minutes.  I adjusted the tension throughout the ride and am learning what gives me the best workout.  Several times during the ride I set it on the hardest tension for two minutes then backed it off.  That really got my legs burning!

After the bike I got in the pool for the third time this week.  It is feeling much better.   My arms are still sore but feeling like I am getting a much better pull.  The first day it was taking me 22 strokes to cover one length of the pool.  Today I was down to 17-18 strokes per length.  I swam 500 yards today, with two 100 yd sets and the rest of the distance in 50's.  I even did a half lenghth of butterfly but stopped.  The high school swim team was practicing at the same time and I didn't want to show them up! Tongue out

It is 18 weeks from today that I leave for my first tri!

2010-01-07 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2601551

Regular
Aubiewood - 2010-01-07 7:45 PM

Vt, That outing should make a good benchmark for reference later! At least that's what I'm telling myself as I struggle through the beginnings of this.

Thanks Chris (Aubie), one of my challenges is actually tracking what I'm doing. The BT log seems pretty user friendly. I didn't have the gumption to try to figure out my Garmin to sync with BT today, but I'll get to it soon.
2010-01-07 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2601654

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
Yeah John that sound good to me. I can't wait for warmer weather to get outside and ride. Where do normally ride? One of my favorite rides is from Mahwah into Harriman State Park, it's an awesome ride but lots of hills.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15