BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-07 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
Do you have access to masters, swim clinics, instructor, or even an ex swimmer that can watch and give you lessons?

Yeah.  I met with my coach for the 1st time, this past Monday morning.  I'll see her, again, Friday morning.  Probably do 5 or so sessions with her......and see where I am, then.  She says I'll be ready to go 600+yds (continuous) by my event.  I love her enthusiasm.

I've been at it 7 days in a row.  I was gonna go to the pool, today.  Something is telling me to rest.  I think I will.

Thanks.  I'll let you know how it goes, tomorrow.  I felt swimming with my head down for the 1st time, yesterday.  What I'm gonna work on tomorrow is.....getting used to that feeling....and rotating with my hips instead of my shoulders (sounds weird....but it feels differently, on land anyway).  I know I haven't been feeling that.

My coach had me buy swim fins....but I haven't used them, yet.  I suppose the thinking is.....I could go longer??  I really didn't ask.  I will, Friday.

As far as masters.......here's my thinking....WHY would I go there, now?  Wouldn't I gain more seeing my coach....and trying to get to 6-800M...THEN seek their help?  Like I said, I'm not getting tired....I'm getting winded (difference?).  Something's gonna click, soon.

2010-04-07 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2773999

User image

nc452010 - 2010-04-07 7:17 PM OK...so here's the 1st of my MANY (to come) swimming Q's.  I know "one" of the main issues with my swimming (COMPLETE beginner) is my breathing.  I'm getting winded, not tired.

Q - Would I get more benefit from swimming a non-stop 500yds....utilizing "whatever" stroke necessary to complete......v. swimming a series of 50yd sets.....utilizing the crawl for all sets?

I went from not being able to do more than ONE 50yd swim (my 1st time in)....to doing 8X50's in my 5th trip to the pool (with rest, in between....and I won't say how much!....lol).

My goal is at LEAST 600yds crawl, non-stop, by June.  I plan, right now, to do 10X50yd sets, today (with rest for air!).  Hope to up my dist. to 12X50yd sets, next week.  At some point....I hope it all comes together.

Thoughts?

If you are a beginner, most probably your style is what limits you most. How do you breathe while swimming? Can you keep your face in the water, how do you rotate for breathing or otherwise? All of these matter. If your style is OK, you can try some 100 yd sets. If not I strongly suggest that you work on your style first.
2010-04-07 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2774426

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
nc452010 - 2010-04-07 1:15 PM Do you have access to masters, swim clinics, instructor, or even an ex swimmer that can watch and give you lessons?

Yeah.  I met with my coach for the 1st time, this past Monday morning.  I'll see her, again, Friday morning.  Probably do 5 or so sessions with her......and see where I am, then.  She says I'll be ready to go 600+yds (continuous) by my event.  I love her enthusiasm.

I've been at it 7 days in a row.  I was gonna go to the pool, today.  Something is telling me to rest.  I think I will.

Thanks.  I'll let you know how it goes, tomorrow.  I felt swimming with my head down for the 1st time, yesterday.  What I'm gonna work on tomorrow is.....getting used to that feeling....and rotating with my hips instead of my shoulders (sounds weird....but it feels differently, on land anyway).  I know I haven't been feeling that.

My coach had me buy swim fins....but I haven't used them, yet.  I suppose the thinking is.....I could go longer??  I really didn't ask.  I will, Friday.

As far as masters.......here's my thinking....WHY would I go there, now?  Wouldn't I gain more seeing my coach....and trying to get to 6-800M...THEN seek their help?  Like I said, I'm not getting tired....I'm getting winded (difference?).  Something's gonna click, soon.

Oh, well...in that case, you are good to go! Whoops, sorry didn't realize you were meeting with a coach. You will fine! Be patient, (I know, easier said then done) you've only seen your coach once this week and been at it 7 days, swimming is very technique driven but once you get proper form down speed and endurance will come.

Yeah, master's will be beneficial after your coaching sessions.
2010-04-07 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2774100

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
newbz - 2010-04-07 12:46 PM
ddiamond - 2010-04-07 10:27 AM Are you gonna let me in Newbz?
yep, told you i was saving a spot.

Excellent, I will catch up on everyone's stories tonight and will post mine as well. Thanks David!
2010-04-07 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

tn...

LOL...nope...only 5 training sessions, THIS week (so far).  But I've been at it (sometimes 2/day) for 7 straight.  I may do some light jogging on the treadmill, tonight. 

You'll find I don't do anything 1/2 way.  I just have some responsibilities I could take care of.....AND I'm a little run down.

Start back at 5:30AM in the pool.  Get a good ride in, tomorrow night.

2010-04-07 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
i am on a bit of a "self-prescribed" taper right now.  I am running the Music City 1/2 Marathon on April 24th, and have been pushing on some of my longer runs, and as a result, my 10 mile run this past saturday suffered alot.  ended up walk/running parts of it to control my HR.  Went for a 4 mile run last night and did 'ok', but have a bit of a muscle soreness in my butt muscle on the left side.  Going to take tonight off, and Thursday is my normal rest day.  So hopefully 2 days without working out will help.  Plan to do an easy 2-3 miles on friday to see how loose everything is, and then run in a 10k race on saturday morning.  Race strategy will be dependent on how friday goes.  Right now i hope to aim for 9:30 pace.

Might try to get a swim in on friday as well, again, just to loosen things up, nothing too strenosous.  I want to preform well in my 1/2 mary.  I know i can make the distance, but i want to do it comfortably, and not have to take TOO much time off after before getting back into the Olympic distance training plan that is starting soon for me. 

Any advice on loosening up butt muscles?  i don't have a foam roller, not even sure where to get one.  Hot bath?  ice bath?  NSAIDs? 

2010-04-07 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2774426

User image

nc452010 - 2010-04-07 9:15 AM Do you have access to masters, swim clinics, instructor, or even an ex swimmer that can watch and give you lessons?

Yes, if you have a coach, then do that...but masters is great once your coaching sessions are over.  You may not get as much coaching from masters...but the structured workouts are great.  There is no way I would do some of the workouts we do on my own.  The fact that everyone else has to do it too is very motivating.  You don't want to be the one guy who can't finish the set.  When swimming on your own...you tend to take it easy on yourself.  At least that's how I am.
2010-04-07 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2774720

User image

BoobieDr - 2010-04-07 10:10 AM i am on a bit of a "self-prescribed" taper right now.  I am running the Music City 1/2 Marathon on April 24th, and have been pushing on some of my longer runs, and as a result, my 10 mile run this past saturday suffered alot.  ended up walk/running parts of it to control my HR.  Went for a 4 mile run last night and did 'ok', but have a bit of a muscle soreness in my butt muscle on the left side.  Going to take tonight off, and Thursday is my normal rest day.  So hopefully 2 days without working out will help.  Plan to do an easy 2-3 miles on friday to see how loose everything is, and then run in a 10k race on saturday morning.  Race strategy will be dependent on how friday goes.  Right now i hope to aim for 9:30 pace.

Might try to get a swim in on friday as well, again, just to loosen things up, nothing too strenosous.  I want to preform well in my 1/2 mary.  I know i can make the distance, but i want to do it comfortably, and not have to take TOO much time off after before getting back into the Olympic distance training plan that is starting soon for me. 

Any advice on loosening up butt muscles?  i don't have a foam roller, not even sure where to get one.  Hot bath?  ice bath?  NSAIDs? 

FOAM ROLLER!!! 

I am one to stay away from NSAIDs unless there actually is an inflammation problem.  People may have other opinions, but to me it sounds a bit dangerous to be taking pills just because you have normal muscle soreness or tightness from working out.  Rest is the pill I prefer for that...oh...and the FOAM ROLLER!!!
2010-04-07 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2773425

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is open!!!!
RogerWilco - 2010-04-07 8:54 AM
robingray_260 - 2010-04-07 4:42 PM Welcome everyone! This should be a great group. My workout for the day will consist of a 30 minute run for base and an hour of yoga. I am working on a cold so just getting the workouts done is my goal for the day.

By the way, does anyone know how to respond to a particular thread within a set of messages.  I have often seen when responding to a certain person the message first with lines around it and then your reply. Have no clue how to do that though.

Have a great day and I will check back in after my workouts!

Robin

Robin, you should use the "QUOTE" button to do that.

Thanks! I will get the hang of this soon (hopefully!)
2010-04-07 4:52 PM

User image

Chicago
Unfortunately no work out today. Too much school and trying to figure out how to make my resume sound good. I am hoping to get an interview with SRAM soon. I'll be on the trainer or the road tomorrow. Back to school.
2010-04-07 5:45 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
During the run I just finished, I had a terrible stomach ache.  I am not sure what caused it.  I thought that the stomach aches that I have been having were caused by milk.  I have since stopped drinking milk and my stomach aches haven't been occurring.  It might have been because of the large amount of chocolate I ate earlier.

2010-04-07 6:00 PM

Chocolate will do that to you! I myself, as I mentioned in my bio, have been training for a 1.2 marathon a month from today. I went and was fitted for custom running shoes, and since then have been having horrible knee pains, both right and left, and on the inside of my knee caps. It has really limited my training a bit. I ice down and heat every night, and just yesterday bought braces for runners knee. Will try that tonight. Anybody have any idea what is going on? I cant imagine it is the shoes as the shoes I was running in before were junk. Whatever it is, I sure would like it gone. The pain seems to go away after my first half mile, but my knees pop when going down stairs. Other than that, I would never know anything was wrong with them.
2010-04-07 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2775356

User image

reloadyour9 - 2010-04-07 2:00 PM Chocolate will do that to you! I myself, as I mentioned in my bio, have been training for a 1.2 marathon a month from today. I went and was fitted for custom running shoes, and since then have been having horrible knee pains, both right and left, and on the inside of my knee caps. It has really limited my training a bit. I ice down and heat every night, and just yesterday bought braces for runners knee. Will try that tonight. Anybody have any idea what is going on? I cant imagine it is the shoes as the shoes I was running in before were junk. Whatever it is, I sure would like it gone. The pain seems to go away after my first half mile, but my knees pop when going down stairs. Other than that, I would never know anything was wrong with them.

If you bought the shoes from a running store, I would take them back and explain the pain you have been experiencing.  Maybe they fit you for the wrong type of shoes...that can make a huge difference.  Most running stores will give you a full refund or exchange the pair...especially if they fit you for these shoes that are now causing you serious pain.

And I have had something similar to what you are experiencing.  For me it was patellar tendonitis...mainly due to increasing my mileage too fast.  I bought the straps that go under your knee cap, and still use them today "just in case".  I would ice down my knees a lot as well after every run...but now I don't need to.

But that might be another thing you want to look at...have you increased your mileage by more than 10% per week lately?
2010-04-07 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2774794

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
'Aight....

stopped by the LRS on the way home from work and got myself a foam roller...found some different things to try to work this sore muscle out.

but the BIG deal of the day....

I officially signed up for my first Triathlon today!  I have been committed to doing the Memphis in May sprint as my first tri for a while now, but i made it official today by filling out the online registration and submitting!  I'm officially listed as a participant!  woot woot  
2010-04-07 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania

Somehow the one day I don't log in is the same day they open the new groups.  I know I'm late but do you have room for one more? 

Art

2010-04-07 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2775391

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
BoobieDr - 2010-04-07 6:25 PM 'Aight....

stopped by the LRS on the way home from work and got myself a foam roller...found some different things to try to work this sore muscle out.

I officially signed up for my first Triathlon today!  I have been committed to doing the Memphis in May sprint as my first tri for a while now, but i made it official today by filling out the online registration and submitting!  I'm officially listed as a participant!  woot woot  

Congrats on signing up!  I need to do that for my race too - maybe tonight. Then we both will be official. I hope your back feels better! - Robin

2010-04-07 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2775327

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
carlwithac - 2010-04-07 5:45 PM During the run I just finished, I had a terrible stomach ache.  I am not sure what caused it.  I thought that the stomach aches that I have been having were caused by milk.  I have since stopped drinking milk and my stomach aches haven't been occurring.  It might have been because of the large amount of chocolate I ate earlier.

mmmmm.... chocolate!
2010-04-07 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2775391

User image

BoobieDr - 2010-04-07 2:25 PM 'Aight....

congrats...I remember filling out my first online app and clicking the "confirm" button just a few months ago.  Train hard and have fun...
2010-04-07 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2775420

User image

Champion
art welcome.

Yes i would check and see about the shoes, but it very well could be a case of too much too soon as well. what has your mileage increase looked like?
2010-04-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2775428

User image

Champion
robingray_260 - 2010-04-07 5:52 PM

carlwithac - 2010-04-07 5:45 PM During the run I just finished, I had a terrible stomach ache. I am not sure what caused it. I thought that the stomach aches that I have been having were caused by milk. I have since stopped drinking milk and my stomach aches haven't been occurring. It might have been because of the large amount of chocolate I ate earlier.

mmmmm.... chocolate!

haha that was my first thought too! mmmmmmmmm
2010-04-07 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

I did it (signed up), just last Thursday.  Intimidating! (but done)

I'm already looking at possibly doing another one, before the one I signed up for....IF I can get my swimming in line.  LONG way to go!

My congrats to you.  I know just how you feel/felt!  Good luck to you in your training and your event.

2010-04-07 7:03 PM

User image

Question for the good swimmers out there...

Over the past 2 months, I have now become comfortable swimming basically any distance.  I'm still working on my form with my masters coaches (I'm far from perfect), but what type of workouts do you think are most beneficial to improving your swim times for sprint/oly races? 

Sometimes our masters class is focused on sprints (50-100yds)...so while I'm more than willing to do these workouts...I'm not sure if they are the "ideal" workouts for getting my 750-1500m swim times lower.  I usually swim OW one day a week...so that's just a 2000m straight swim...but I also try and get in another day in the pool on my own.  I have tried doing ladders (50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 250, 200, 150, 100, 50) and such...but is there any sets or workouts that you feel are better...should I just swim 1500 straight and keep trying to improve my time?

Thanks
2010-04-07 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2775356

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
reloadyour9 - 2010-04-08 8:00 AM Chocolate will do that to you! I myself, as I mentioned in my bio, have been training for a 1.2 marathon a month from today. I went and was fitted for custom running shoes, and since then have been having horrible knee pains, both right and left, and on the inside of my knee caps. It has really limited my training a bit. I ice down and heat every night, and just yesterday bought braces for runners knee. Will try that tonight. Anybody have any idea what is going on? I cant imagine it is the shoes as the shoes I was running in before were junk. Whatever it is, I sure would like it gone. The pain seems to go away after my first half mile, but my knees pop when going down stairs. Other than that, I would never know anything was wrong with them.

Hey Jarrod.  It will help if you log all your workouts - people will be able to see whether you are pushing it too hard too soon, i.e., either going too long or going too fast or both.  I'm going to guess that is at least part of your problem.   Your new shoes may have changed the way you land and may be bringing different muscles into play.   Inside knee could mean one or more of the following muscles are tight and pulling (they all attach on the inside knee): gracilis, adductor longus, vastus medialis.    Try sitting on the floor with the inside of your thigh facing up and use the palm of your hand to massage the muscles from your crotch down to your knee.  You'll probably find a tender spot that hurts like heck somewhere in there.  Apply pressure to that spot for 30 seconds, rest, repeat.    You may want to look into trigger points - that's what I'm describing. 
2010-04-07 7:11 PM

User image

Bend, OR
Hi everyone.  I did 2 workouts today: 1. 2100 swim which went awesome!  The woman I swim with gave me some pointers on my stroke which has made me about 5 seconds faster on each 50 yd which is great!  2.TI track team workout which was some warm-up drills and then 3 x 200 at about 80% which for me was about 55 seconds.  Now my shins are killing me!  I've been dealing with some mild shin splints ever since about half way through my 1/2 marathon training in january and february.  Should I forget about this kind of track/speed work and just focus on endurance?  I'm such a slow runner I was hoping these types of speed drills would help me, but I don't want to get injured!

Also, I'm supposed to bike tonight on my trainer which would make 3 workouts in one day.  Is this too much?  

Thanks,
Jane
2010-04-07 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2775452

Expert
Ann Arbor
nc452010 - 2010-04-07 8:00 PM

I did it (signed up), just last Thursday.  Intimidating! (but done)

I'm already looking at possibly doing another one, before the one I signed up for....IF WHEN I can get my swimming in line.  LONG way to go!

My congrats to you.  I know just how you feel/felt!  Good luck to you in your training and your event.

Fixed!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105