BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-04-09 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2780550

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - OPEN
shmeeg - 2010-04-09 10:53 AM

Welcome Jay!  We have quite a few Californians represented here....  I hope I can get the chance to meet up with some of you.

NAME: Jay

STORY: I think I am addicted to endurance challenges.  I live in middle socal, am in the military and have a running background.  I am a gear queer, and triathlon seems the logical next step to go to.  I have little to no experience in cycling or swimming, so I will ask lots of 'dumb questions'!

Join the club.  I'm definately a gram weenie.  Unfortunately grams cost money!

Ultimately I would like to get to what I consider the epitome of 'in shape' for me, and LIVE a healthy life to a ripe old age.

My love for racing has transformed my life.  No longer is it just about racing, but the lifestyle it allows me to pursue and enstill in my children. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 1 child.  My wife is my training partner 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm down w/ a cold this week, but will start the 16 week BT plan w/ swim focus next week (hopefully).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Just finished the Agoura Hills 1/2 marathon a couple weeks ago, my goal race is a sprint tri on camp pendleton in August.  I'm looking at a couple super-sprints to do while training to get some OW experience and transition dos/donts.

Without a question, OWS are tough!  It takes practice.  The more races, clinics, clubs, camps you can do the better.  In my opinion, its all about comfort.

2009 RACES:  No tris, but I ran some 10ks a 1/2 marathon and a 50k ultra at altitude.

50k is a huge race.  Nice work!

WEIGHTLOSS:  My wife would certainly love to see my 6-pack!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I like being part of a group, and having a responsibility to post online also keeps me motivated to get out and train.

2010-04-09 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2780244

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-04-09 9:24 AM

LOL....I wish I knew where to start.

Do I need some sort of bike stand for transition area?

No.  Events will provide their own racks.  You usually want to get there when transition opens to get a good location.  End of the racks close to the main corridor are usually the prime real estate.

Should I wear my regular running shoes for the trail run, or be looking for trail shoes?

Depends on the technicality of the terrain.  Fireroad, no so important.  Single-track with rocks, roots, etc. more of a benefit.  Trail shoes usually have a lower center of gravity, reinforced toe box, and more aggressive tread pattern.  Either way, I would recommend Yankz, or similar brand, lacing system to avoid having to tie shoes.

Where should I be taking my gels?  where should I be hydrating most?

Most of your fueling will occur on the bike.  For one, it is easier to consume gels and liquid because there is less sloushing of gastric contents.  And, second, the bike component is normally the longest portion of the race.  However, this doesn't mean you can ignore fueling on the run.  It just translates to different fuels for different parts of the race.  You need to think of your hydration-fueling on an hour basis, instead of during a specific segment.

More to come....

Should I go with my camelback over water bottles like I would in a MTB race?

I prefer a small camelback.  Anything under two hours, I wear a 50 oz bladder.  Road tris, I use bottles.

Are there any transition tricks I should know about?

We'll talk more about this later.

Do you have any advice about staying focussed on the run so I don't re-sprain an ankle in the trail?

Keep you eyes open! Sorry couldn't resist.  Try not staring at you feet, but look ahead and anticipate.

I'm sure there will be more.  I'm pretty nervous, being this is my first outdoor tri and it's an Xterra.

Relax....  I thought I was ready for my first one, but never did an OWS.  Started out trying to sprint the swim, fatigued, resorted to backstroke, regained composure, and got through the race.  You will do fine.

btw....I'm a Vegas regular.  I've been trying to make the Vegas Xterra Happen since I'll be there around that time for vacation anyway.  So far, not so good though.  LOL

Are you talking about the April 25th event at Lake Las Vegas?  This is a regional stop and there will be a short course, long course, and trail run.
2010-04-09 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
hey happy friday to everyone. no training today, but i did get to have breakfast with my family for a change. hard to resist so i will make up for it tomorrow. i am thinking of possibly doing a nice three hour run in the early am. sunday will be a nice long bike ride-hopefully in the 35-50 mile range. this weekend is also full of family obligations so i try to squeeze as much in before 9 am as i can. another month and a 6am bike ride will be the norm for me. have a great weekend everyone.
2010-04-09 6:07 PM
in reply to: #2781115

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
wplummer - 2010-04-09 2:12 PM hey happy friday to everyone. no training today, but i did get to have breakfast with my family for a change. hard to resist so i will make up for it tomorrow. i am thinking of possibly doing a nice three hour run in the early am. sunday will be a nice long bike ride-hopefully in the 35-50 mile range. this weekend is also full of family obligations so i try to squeeze as much in before 9 am as i can. another month and a 6am bike ride will be the norm for me. have a great weekend everyone.

Hopefully it stays dry for you.  It's looking like rain here!
2010-04-09 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

QOTD:  If you could choose any location to do your first Ironman, where would you go?  Here's a link for the locations:

http://ironman.com/events/ironman

I'm thinking of packing the family and going to the Western Austraila Ironman in 2012.  I would like to complete an Ironman as my 40th birthday present to myself.  I think it would be fun to make it into a family vacation at the same time!

2010-04-09 6:34 PM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego

Happy Friday Team!

Had a great OWS session with Triathlon Club of San Diego last night thus slept like a rock.    Long day today here in San Diego though... I was going to skip my AM training but I woke up early so I went to the gym for a nice swim and TM run.  Somber afternoon as we had a memorial service for one of our EMTs that was killed on duty last week.  Now I'm heading out to shoot hoops with my youngest in a bit and tomorrow is a long day on the bike so bed early again.

Regarding missing workouts... I like my Tri Club Coach's philosophy: If you miss a training session, don’t try and over perform to "catch up" as that can contribute to injury.  Rather, start where you left off and give your best effort to maintain a level of performance. I also agree "family first" and miss the occasional training session.  That doesn’t stop my Type-A personality from making me feel guilty though! Yell

Have a great evening.

Edited by BigH2OChief 2010-04-09 6:35 PM

2010-04-09 6:47 PM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego

AOTD:  I like the family vacation idea!  I would like to take the family to the Bonita Ironman New Zealand.  I'll turn 50 in a couple years so who knows...

Forgot to say... tomorrow’s bike ride changed to a Brick.  We're doing a 22 mile out and back from Poway (CA.) to Torey Pines State Beach followed by a 6 mile run.

2010-04-09 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2781273

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
brick94513 - 2010-04-09 4:07 PM

wplummer - 2010-04-09 2:12 PM hey happy friday to everyone. no training today, but i did get to have breakfast with my family for a change. hard to resist so i will make up for it tomorrow. i am thinking of possibly doing a nice three hour run in the early am. sunday will be a nice long bike ride-hopefully in the 35-50 mile range. this weekend is also full of family obligations so i try to squeeze as much in before 9 am as i can. another month and a 6am bike ride will be the norm for me. have a great weekend everyone.

Hopefully it stays dry for you.  It's looking like rain here!

i know.....i am hoping to wake to nice cool dry sunday morning. we shall see.
2010-04-09 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

I'd wanna check out the Canary islands if were talkin vakay time.  No better way to recover than on the beach!

Big, wherebouts are you in SD?  My sis in-law lives in La Jolla, we usually stay w/ her for races and the occasional visit.  We're hoping to move down there next summer, how do you like SDTC?

2010-04-09 9:05 PM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego

Jay,

I'm in Carmel Mountain Ranch (right next to Poway on Hwy 15).  I'm only 15 mins from La Jolla and pretty much everything else in San Diego.  Where abouts in mid-SoCal are you? 

I’m brand new but so far the Triathlon Club of San Diego has been awesome.  Everyone I have met with the Club has been very helpful and encouraging.  The Club has free (or really cheap) weekly workouts in all three disciplines as well as injury screening and physical therapy opportunities, diet and nutrition counseling and monthly time trials and races.  They also have lots of discounted race entry, equipment and coaching.

2010-04-09 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2781291

User image

Expert
brick94513 - 2010-04-09 4:21 PM

QOTD:  If you could choose any location to do your first Ironman, where would you go?  Here's a link for the locations:

Off the top of my head, I'd say Kona just because it is what it is.  Kona!  from a vacation/destination point of view, probably Cozumel.  That would be one awesome swim!

2010-04-09 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2781573

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
BigH2OChief - 2010-04-09 7:05 PM

Jay,

I'm in Carmel Mountain Ranch (right next to Poway on Hwy 15).  I'm only 15 mins from La Jolla and pretty much everything else in San Diego.  Where abouts in mid-SoCal are you? 

I’m brand new but so far the Triathlon Club of San Diego has been awesome.  Everyone I have met with the Club has been very helpful and encouraging.  The Club has free (or really cheap) weekly workouts in all three disciplines as well as injury screening and physical therapy opportunities, diet and nutrition counseling and monthly time trials and races.  They also have lots of discounted race entry, equipment and coaching.

Oh ok cool, lucky you!  I'm in 29 Palms; about an hour north of Palm Springs.  Man, that sounds awesome!  I WISH we had something like that around here.  This place sucks!

Edited by shmeeg 2010-04-09 9:21 PM
2010-04-09 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2779901

User image

Expert
brick94513 - 2010-04-09 8:02 AM
norcal_SAHD - 2010-04-08 9:48 PM

I'm already in trouble, I missed my workout today.  Bad start for me with the group!  My daughter had a dr. appt this morning at 9am, then another at 1pm.  We didn't get home from the hospital till 5pm!  Lots of tests, poking, prodding, scanning, at one point, we waited in the dr's office for 2 hours just waiting for her to show up...  Anyway, good news all around on the medical front, but a very exhausting day.  Then we got home just in time to change and head out to a 5:30 softball game (I coach my girls' team, they are 6 and 8 years old).  Follow that with going out to dinner with my in-laws (who are staying at our house for a few days), and I'm ready for bed.

Wow!  That sounds mentally fatiguing.  Glad to see you got good news at the end of the day.  How'd the softball game go?

We should meet at Tamarancho some time.  It's about an hour and a half from me.

The softball game was awesome.  They are rediculously cute and fun games, everyone hits every inning, and we don't count outs or keep score.  As coach, my only goal is to make sure they more or less know the rules of the game by the end of the season, and that they all have fun. 

Let me know if you want to meet up, that would be great!  As long as you don't mind waiting up for me. Tongue out 
2010-04-09 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2775870

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
DogFish is one of my favorites! I've got some 90 and a bottle of 120 out in my man-cave fridge right now. They do some really cool and unusual brews. Ever try Flying Dog out of Frederick, MD?

SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-07 9:53 PM
brick94513 - 2010-04-07 9:21 PM William, Bill, which do you prefer?  I see you like to brew.  Do you have a preference or do you brew all kinds of beer?

I LOVE ALL BEER!!! :-) I brew a few small batches a year usually keep it simple extract, Steep some Christal malt in it and use Wyeast the matches the brew. Best so far is a Pecan Coffee Porter.   I have to say I can't brew beer as good as some of the Local Micro's and I Love Dogfish Head's 60 minuit IPA.  How about you?
2010-04-09 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2781593

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-04-09 7:21 PM

Oh ok cool, lucky you!  I'm in 29 Palms; about an hour north of Palm Springs.  Man, that sounds awesome!  I WISH we had something like that around here.  This place sucks!

Jay your in the middle of nowhere.  My wife's parents live in Beaumont.

If you're looking for races, check out http://www.sawsportsproductions.com/pages/events.html

They do some races at Lake Perris.
2010-04-09 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2781604

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2010-04-09 7:28 PM

The softball game was awesome.  They are rediculously cute and fun games, everyone hits every inning, and we don't count outs or keep score.  As coach, my only goal is to make sure they more or less know the rules of the game by the end of the season, and that they all have fun. 

I hear ya.  This age is a lot of fun.  My middle son, he's 6, went 4-4 tonight with some great plays in the field according to my wife.  I hate missing the games cause of work.  My oldest is in travel baseball and it's a lot more work.

2010-04-09 11:34 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

:D  lol, tell me about it, this is my third time in this armpit of the world and it gets worse every time!  thx for the link, we love some good trail runnin fo sho. wish that sprint wasnt so close, were goin down to nytro in SD to get our bikes fitted that weekend.

2010-04-10 12:04 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
while im surfing around the gear section, let me throw out some questions to you guys to mull over this weekend; for those who've already done some tris. 

1) what do you have in your transition bag for a sprint? 

2) have you used any of the BT training plans?  what were your thoughts?  good plans?  need improvement?
2010-04-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2781747

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
I'm using the BT Beginner Sprint HR 12 Week program. I used it to prepare for my first tri (Smithfield Sprint 3/27/10) and decided to give it another go. My next tri is on 6/12. I have to say that I'm in the best shape I've been in since.... well..... a long time ago.

As for your first question.....my T times sucked, but one thing I learned was that messing around with shoe laces costs you lots of time. I picked up a set of lace locks to try and shave a little time of my next set of transitions. 

QUOTE]shmeeg - 2010-04-10 12:04 AM while im surfing around the gear section, let me throw out some questions to you guys to mull over this weekend; for those who've already done some tris. 

1) what do you have in your transition bag for a sprint? 

2) have you used any of the BT training plans?  what were your thoughts?  good plans?  need improvement?
2010-04-10 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern Virginia
OK.... for those who are trying to learn to swim better... here's something that's working for me. Whenever I did my swim workout I kept miscounting my laps. So by the end of my workout, I had no idea how far I'd swam. Surfed around the Net, looking for a solution, found a little device you hold in your palm and click for every lap. Can't recall the price, but seems like it was around 30 bucks. PASS. My wife makes jewelry and suggested I use beads for counting my laps. Anyway, after giving it a little thought, I purchased some cheap plastic lacing and a handful of cheap, plastic beads..... threaded the beads and tied a knot in each end of the plastic lace.....made a simple lap counter. Counts in 100m increments. Works like a charm. Total price? 4 bucks. Cool
2010-04-10 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

cool, thanks for the feedback.  i actually bought a pair of zoot shoes recently and like running sockless so far.  i was curious about the lap counting myself, good idea.  very similar in theory to a pace counter.  definitely an inexpensive gadget in an expensive sport. good luck on your next race!

Edited by shmeeg 2010-04-10 11:25 AM

2010-04-10 12:56 PM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego

This morning’s Brick (H56/Ted Williams) was packed and brutal!  Seemed like everyone not racing in tomorrows Superfrog/Superseal Tri or the Carlsbad 5000 5K was out and laying the hammer down.  Definitely kept my cadence up on the hills and lots of pacebooty for the run.     I’m looking forward to relaxing in the sun and catching up on honey-do’s around the house.

Pacecounter:  I also have trouble keeping count of pool laps.  What a great idea… Ranger Beads (AKA Pacecounter).  I can’t believe I never thought of that and happen to have a couple of them left over for posterity.  I knew this Mentor Group would be awesome!

What’s in your Tri Bag?:  I am a boot rookie but for what it’s worth regarding Transitions…  During my first Brick workout coming off the bike I couldn’t get my legs to work to tie my shoes (it was hilarious).  The next day I changed out the laces in both pairs of my running shoes to Yankz.  I also stopped using socks and I’ve never had a problem since.  Other lessons I’ve learned are the value of Body Glide before donning my Wetsuit and putting a little on my Bike/Run Shoes as well.  I’d like to hear more from the “Been There Done That” guys on what they have in their Tri bag as well.  From years of humping a rucksack I try to be minimalist but sure would like to hear lessons learned…

29 Palms: Jay - I work TAD at Ft Irwin on occasion and met a few Army guys out there who are hooked up with a Tri Club that I believe is in San Bernardino.  Great guys and real motivated athletes.  I’ll see if I can dig up their email addys for you. 

Have a great day everyone!

2010-04-10 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Just got home from the 25K trail race It was Great... Weather was realy nice. Coarse had a lot more hills than I thought it would and losts of sections with a ton of tree roots that I had to take my time on to keep from breaking my ankle, but I finished strong and feeling good for my first Trail Race and Longest run ever.  My time was 3:22. I'll write up a race report tomorrow and post it up. 

Hey Tim I found a Sprint Xterra her in mid Summer..  I think My first Tri might be in the dirt. Ohh Yea!!

I got some MTB question fer you also.. 
2010-04-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2782323

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-10 12:52 PM Just got home from the 25K trail race It was Great... Weather was realy nice. Coarse had a lot more hills than I thought it would and losts of sections with a ton of tree roots that I had to take my time on to keep from breaking my ankle, but I finished strong and feeling good for my first Trail Race and Longest run ever.  My time was 3:22. I'll write up a race report tomorrow and post it up. 

Hey Tim I found a Sprint Xterra her in mid Summer..  I think My first Tri might be in the dirt. Ohh Yea!!

I got some MTB question fer you also.. 

Great job on the race and your longest run ever.  16 miles definately feels longer on the trail than on the road, huh?
2010-04-10 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2782323

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
trail races rock, nice work on setting a new distance record!  the ultra i did last year was a trail race.  definitely made it easier to get to the finish w/ all the awesome scenery.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108