BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-18 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2800286

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - OPEN
zachkoe - 2010-04-18 9:09 PM Hi Everyone-
  Thanks for letting me join your group!

A little about myself:
   I'm a 30yr old science teacher, high school soccer and lacrosse coach, and a premier soccer coach. Most important a mom to an active 22 month old
  This is my second year of doing sprint triathlons. I decided to give them a try last year after having 4 knee surgeries (meniscal repair ultimately leading to a mensicotomy) in 8months, followed by a pregnancy. I figured, hell I have a baby why not try giving something else a try. I wanted to get back in shape and lose the baby weight. Oh yeah, and my boyfriend said he didn't think I would do it.So I said bring it on

Last year I did 2 spring triathlons and a bunch of road races. This year I am planning on doing 3 sprint tris and possibly 1 olympic distance. Not sure about training time with the Olympic distance with my work and daughters schedule. I also am planning a 25K at the end of May.Not sure what got into me on that one.
  I'm hoping to lose a little more weight, I gained about 8lbs back after losing a bunch last year. Kind of at a road block with that.
  I'm excited to be on board!
 -Elayna

Hey, welcome to the group!  I have a feeling our names probably sound the same even though spelled different.  There's no motivation like having someone tell you you can't do something!

2010-04-18 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2800177

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2010-04-18 9:26 PM Had a visit at work from Team Live Strong at work, so am trying to post a pic of their bike---sweet ride! (hope it works)

Looking good doc.  Are you still in Boston?

2010-04-18 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2800312

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
No, back in rainy NY--wish I could have stayed for the big race on Monday but work calls.  Daughter has a great location, race goes right by her place--could have been drinking beers watching the show.  Who knows, maybe next year I"ll be part of the show.
2010-04-19 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Hi Guys !

I did my 1st race yesterday and just want to scream from the roof tops about how much fun it was ! It was so much fun, definately for me and cant wait for my next challenge, a 750sea swim triathlon in may.

See my race report below for details, it was simply ACE !!!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=204128

I  had so much fun !

T
2010-04-19 3:36 PM

User image

Westborough
I am very intersted to join your group.  I am currently a 44 year old, father of 2 awesome kids and married to a very understanding wife when it comes to my training.  On January 4th, I weighed in at my gym at 227 lbs at the start of an 8 week boot camp.  At that time I was only able to swim 2 laps in the pool before having to hold on for fear of drowning.

By the end of the boot camp I had lost about 26 lbs and my endurnace and fitness were at never seen before levels.  With this in mind, I wanted something to take me to the next level.  So, I signed myself up for 2 sprint triathlons.  I figured if I committed myself by signing up, I'd have to train to complete them.

At this time, I can swim about 3/4 mile, bike about 30 miles and run about 5 miles - not all on the same day.   I am working very hard to get my speed up in all 3 areas but have a long way to go.  I am definitely the slowest swimmer in the pool.

I could really benefit from someone with more knowledge and experience.  I hope to been an eager student and improve as rapidly as my body will let me.

Thank you,
Danny
2010-04-19 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2801146

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Tiesim - 2010-04-19 11:27 AM Hi Guys !

I did my 1st race yesterday and just want to scream from the roof tops about how much fun it was ! It was so much fun, definately for me and cant wait for my next challenge, a 750sea swim triathlon in may.

I  had so much fun !

T

That's awesome.  I would like to think it's because of all your training, but I think it's because you joined this group

Make sure you don't go out and buy all the gadgets now.

2010-04-19 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2802276

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

dmahr - 2010-04-19 4:36 PM I am very intersted to join your group.  I am currently a 44 year old, father of 2 awesome kids and married to a very understanding wife when it comes to my training.  On January 4th, I weighed in at my gym at 227 lbs at the start of an 8 week boot camp.  At that time I was only able to swim 2 laps in the pool before having to hold on for fear of drowning.

By the end of the boot camp I had lost about 26 lbs and my endurnace and fitness were at never seen before levels.  With this in mind, I wanted something to take me to the next level.  So, I signed myself up for 2 sprint triathlons.  I figured if I committed myself by signing up, I'd have to train to complete them.

At this time, I can swim about 3/4 mile, bike about 30 miles and run about 5 miles - not all on the same day.   I am working very hard to get my speed up in all 3 areas but have a long way to go.  I am definitely the slowest swimmer in the pool.

I could really benefit from someone with more knowledge and experience.  I hope to been an eager student and improve as rapidly as my body will let me.

Thank you,
Danny

Welcome Danny.  Congrats on the weight loss. That's a lot of weight for just eight weeks, especially since you probably gained muscle mass.  There is lots of experience here, so ask away.  When is the first race?

2010-04-19 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I have asked this before but am really looking for some ideas??  Am going out of the country 4/23 till 5/2 and really am not looking forward to falling behind on my work outs.  No gyms in the area, small 40'pool where we stay at night--if clean! and a small area perhaps 40' x 25' for some jogging around.  Doubt the military would allow me to get out on the Pan American Highway and run as I might come up missing which would not look good seeing how I am the one in charge!  Was thinking of bringing some bands for resistant work--anyone use them at all?
2010-04-19 7:19 PM

New user

Syracuse
I would love to be in your group! I'm also in Syracuse!!! I could come see your race. I am 34, a mother of two, my little girl is 22 months and my son is 3 1/2. I am also registered nurse. I have always been an athlete however, I haven't participated in sports since highschool and decided I needed something to do just for myself. Although it's very difficult with work, life, my husband and kids, I find time to work out at night when they have gone to bed. I was recently diagnosed with brsitis of my R hip and Iliotibial band syndrome on the same side. I am really looking for some help with current workouts. I have a base fitness from the last 2 months of 2-4sessions/week but really need to step it into high gear for the August 7th race.

Please allow me to be in your group.
Thanks in advance
Shioban
2010-04-19 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2802823

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Shioban - 2010-04-19 8:19 PM I would love to be in your group! I'm also in Syracuse!!! I could come see your race. I am 34, a mother of two, my little girl is 22 months and my son is 3 1/2. I am also registered nurse. I have always been an athlete however, I haven't participated in sports since highschool and decided I needed something to do just for myself. Although it's very difficult with work, life, my husband and kids, I find time to work out at night when they have gone to bed. I was recently diagnosed with brsitis of my R hip and Iliotibial band syndrome on the same side. I am really looking for some help with current workouts. I have a base fitness from the last 2 months of 2-4sessions/week but really need to step it into high gear for the August 7th race.

Please allow me to be in your group.
Thanks in advance
Shioban

Absolutely.  I will be in Syracuse a lot this year.  Do you see a physical therapist for your injuries?  Did they give you any exercises to do?  Last thing you want is to make it worse. What kind of race in August?

2010-04-19 8:01 PM

User image

Salem
helllllllo!!!!

i just wanted to post real quick to let everyone know i haven't fallen off the face of the earth.  lifes been keeping me busy, and just logging my workouts has been a challenge.  i hope everyone is healthy and keeping up with their workouts!

and a quick welcome to all the new blood in the group! very exciting!

2010-04-19 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2802432

User image

Westborough
First race is May 9 - Sudbury Sprint.   My goal in this race is to just complete the event to experience the transitions, the feeling of my muscles going from swim to bike and then bike to run.  I'm hoping to have a heart rate monitor by race day so I can gauge my efforts against heart rate to help with the next event on August 1 - Marlborough Sprint.   This will be an open water swim and I am definitely apprehensive.
2010-04-19 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

So knowing how we had some attrition last time, I am going to let a couple of more to join in.  We are at 16 now.  We will go to 18 or so.  I will post a list tomorrow.  There has been a request for another IM challenge, so we can set that up this week.  We will have a time limit this time.

2010-04-19 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2802936

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

KidIcarus - 2010-04-19 9:01 PM helllllllo!!!!

i just wanted to post real quick to let everyone know i haven't fallen off the face of the earth.  lifes been keeping me busy, and just logging my workouts has been a challenge.  i hope everyone is healthy and keeping up with their workouts!

and a quick welcome to all the new blood in the group! very exciting!

How did the bike fit go today?

2010-04-19 8:06 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Hi Josh!
You doing another group?
Awesome!

Kids,,,,you are in VERY good hands with Josh........ 
2010-04-19 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2802806

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2010-04-19 8:14 PM I have asked this before but am really looking for some ideas??  Am going out of the country 4/23 till 5/2 and really am not looking forward to falling behind on my work outs.  No gyms in the area, small 40'pool where we stay at night--if clean! and a small area perhaps 40' x 25' for some jogging around.  Doubt the military would allow me to get out on the Pan American Highway and run as I might come up missing which would not look good seeing how I am the one in charge!  Was thinking of bringing some bands for resistant work--anyone use them at all?

I don't know.  Lots of sprints in the pool.  Yoga?  The resistant bands are good.  You could use the rocks and logs in nature.  Without an area to run, I don't have much.

2010-04-19 8:13 PM

User image

Salem
forgive me for copying and pasting right from my log, but heres the recap:

well i got my fit (thanks Landen!) and it really is an insane difference.  i couldn't believe how much stronger i felt on the way home.  i was practically cackling it was in such sharp contrast.  the big problem was up front: the aero bars were literally angled DOWN so all my weight was on my hands on the shifters pushing my body back.  the right aero bar was a couple degrees lower than the left (lol!)...that certainly wasn't helping much.  i guess i have weird knees (not the term he used haha), but he gave me some inserts and the before and after video of my pedal stroke was staggering.  blah-blah, im very happy; though for $200 it BETTER make a difference.  =P
2010-04-19 8:20 PM

User image

Westborough
Swimming Question for all that can help - I am the slowest swimmer at the pool in my gym and really poor form.  While my goal isn't to win a triathlon, I'd like to be the best that I can be.  Does it make sense to join a Masters Swim Group to improve at swimming, or hire swim coach?

Thanks for your help.

- Danny
2010-04-19 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2802972

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

dmahr - 2010-04-19 9:20 PM Swimming Question for all that can help - I am the slowest swimmer at the pool in my gym and really poor form.  While my goal isn't to win a triathlon, I'd like to be the best that I can be.  Does it make sense to join a Masters Swim Group to improve at swimming, or hire swim coach?

Thanks for your help.

- Danny

First, check out this site http://swimsmooth.com/.  

Second, if your Masters swim is free, then absolutely.  If anything, it's going to get you in the pool 2-3x a week.  If it costs more than a couple of bucks a session, then looking into a coach.   You may find 1 to 1 instruction the thing you need to get started in the right direction.  

Third, ask lots of questions.

2010-04-19 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

To all the new folks:

Does everyone know how to add friends to their blogs?

If not, ask Seren.

Just kidding.  I will find the post from our old group that has the instructions.

2010-04-19 9:16 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Are you all willing to take on another member to the group?  I am in RI and hope to do my first HIM this year.  I am getting cold feet and need some encouragement.  I'll post more later if you have room.

2010-04-19 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2803118

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

KOM - 2010-04-19 10:16 PM Are you all willing to take on another member to the group?  I am in RI and hope to do my first HIM this year.  I am getting cold feet and need some encouragement.  I'll post more later if you have room.

Of course Kathy.  

2010-04-19 10:37 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Thanks!!

I'm Kathy and my first triathlon was the Danskin in 2002 back when it was at Fort Devens. I turned 44 that year and I wanted to do something special to celebrate. I did a sprint each summer for the next two years with the Danskin in Webster Mass in 2003 and in Colt State Park in Bristol RI in 2004.  Then my life got too busy for anything but work and family.  Then my life started effecting my health and I quit working as an doc in May of 2005.  When I quit I was on 2 blood pressure meds, 1 cholesterol med and 1 for depression.  Since quitting work and getting back to exercise I am now off meds and 25 lbs lighter

I joined BT in Sept of 2008 through a friend and somehow agreed to run a half marathon.  (Challenge Forums with a few Cosmos on a Friday night will lead to a rash decision sometimes.)  The Hyannis half in 2009 was the longest I had ever run and helped me mark my 50th birthday.  From there I decided to do the Cranberry Oly in August.

I have a 20 yo daughter at UVM and a 17 yo daughter who is a junior in high school.  My hubby is supportive of my Tri dreams and teaches at PC. With a daughter in college I have been back practicing Internal Medicine 3 days per week since Nov as the coverage doc for a colleague on maternity leave. I have had some trouble fitting workouts in but am considering sticking with the practice.  I also teach spin class 2 nights per week at my local Y.

My reward for going back to work was a Felt Tribike!! I am just getting used to aero and only have 100 miles on it so far.  My plan is to do Danskin in July (now called SheRox) and Cranbery Oly in August.  I was going to do the Patriot HIM in late June but have too many conflicts.  Now I am thinking of RI 70.3 but am askeered of the crowded ocean swim and the not so flat bike and run.  I am equally slow in all 3 sports but thankfully not injured much.  I have started a training plan but the first 3 weeks are just kickin my butt and I'm having trouble getting the workouts in. I am worried that I should just wait another year but don't know if I am thinking that because I am nervous.

Sorry if this is too long or TMI but now you know more than most of my coworkers & friends.
2010-04-20 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2801146

User image

Expert
Boston
Tiesim - 2010-04-19 11:27 AM Hi Guys !

I  had so much fun !

T

Congrats on that first triathlon!   Its exciting and addicting!
2010-04-20 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2802965

User image

Expert
Boston
Now there is no excuse for using the spin bike.  Get on that sweet ride and go, man, go!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27