BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-16 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - OPEN
I rode only 5 miles on Wednesday, and my knee still hurts.  I am able to run on it, so that's not a problem, but I'm supposed to go for a 33 mile ride tomorrow and I'm kind of nervous.  Do you think it's a fit problem?

I haven't gotten my pedals installed yet, so I'm still just using cages, so I can't imagine why it would give my knee that much grief.  Any ideas?  Should I try the ride tomorrow?

Thanks for any ideas!

eta: Maybe it will help if I said it hurts on the inside of my left knee.

Edited by AlanaF 2010-04-16 8:58 AM

2010-04-16 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2795977

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2010-04-16 9:56 AM I rode only 5 miles on Wednesday, and my knee still hurts.  I am able to run on it, so that's not a problem, but I'm supposed to go for a 33 mile ride tomorrow and I'm kind of nervous.  Do you think it's a fit problem?

I haven't gotten my pedals installed yet, so I'm still just using cages, so I can't imagine why it would give my knee that much grief.  Any ideas?  Should I try the ride tomorrow?

Thanks for any ideas!

eta: Maybe it will help if I said it hurts on the inside of my left knee.

I am no expert in this and I can direct you to who I think may be able to answer your question, but the first thing that comes to mind is - are your feet moving around in the cage?  Also, because you are not "locked in," your knee may be moving around.  That being said, it could be the fit.  I was always told if it's sore, than it's an adjustment, if it's pain, then it's wrong.  

2010-04-16 2:52 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Alana, I had issues with cages, and it was not actualy the cages that caused the problem. Depending on which shoes I was wearing, the nobbies on the sole would grab the pedals in different places. For me, this allowed the bottom of my shoe to help dictate where my shoe would sit on the pedals. Where your foot "locks in" to a clipless is very important. This is why so many cleats allow float so that the foot can move a little to avoid injury. When a foot is locked in, the most important part is that you can pull up with your foot, not complete imobility.

With that said, after a ton of work to refine my cleat placement, I prefer my cleats not to have a floating option. I feel much more in control and it works well with me. I always dread having to buy new shoes or replace cleats because it can take me weeks to get the cleats exactly where I need them to be. I hope this helps.

2010-04-16 3:00 PM

User image

I'm in if I may (Stacey Clarke - Clarkest), it's my first year... mini sprint May 23/10.  Started training last year, but was side tracked by a surgery, back on track now.  The bike is my strength, then swim, and then the dreaded run (pretty sure that one's a mental block :-)!
2010-04-16 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2797018

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

clarkest - 2010-04-16 4:00 PM I'm in if I may (Stacey Clarke - Clarkest), it's my first year... mini sprint May 23/10.  Started training last year, but was side tracked by a surgery, back on track now.  The bike is my strength, then swim, and then the dreaded run (pretty sure that one's a mental block :-)!

Welcome Stacey.  You will find that we have a very knowledgeable and motivating group.  Let us know if you have any questions regarding the website or training.  

2010-04-16 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
clarkest - 2010-04-16 9:00 PM I'm in if I may (Stacey Clarke - Clarkest), it's my first year... mini sprint May 23/10.  Started training last year, but was side tracked by a surgery, back on track now.  The bike is my strength, then swim, and then the dreaded run (pretty sure that one's a mental block :-)!

Hi Stacy & welcome to BT ! i only been here and tri-ing since Jan and its just brilliant, any questions, give us a holla ! 

2010-04-16 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2792712

User image

Extreme Veteran
gobluedds - 2010-04-14 7:40 PM Thanks all for the parenting props.  We try.  and try .   and try.Wink
Josh-  I don't think I'll have to wait till he's 15 to be testing my last nerve, he and his brother do that pretty well already.  But all in all they are pretty great kids.

Welcome Tiernan and Kate glad to have you aboard.

The black cloud continues to hang over me this week.  What I thought was a slight muscle pull and residual stiffness in my rib cage I found out today is actually a cracked rib.  It must have happened a week ago when I had to ditch my bike when a guy ran a red light and forced me off the road.  So for those paying attention, yes, i just ran a half-mary with a cracked rib.  Can things get worse this year?  Is God trying to tell me something?

Two things: 
1.  Never--ever--ever--ever ask that question.    I've learned it the hard way. 
2.  I got the part about the half-mary with a cracked rib, but I'm still stuck on the "when a guy ran a red light and forced me off the road" part. 

You're probably lucky to get off with a cracked rib.  That's one way things could have been worse.
2010-04-16 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome Stacey.  Your first race is coming up soon!  You are going to have a blast.

I went and watched a triathlon last year and got so excited cheering for people somebody asked me if I was a volunteer Embarassed.  I piped down after that.  It really is a fun atmosphere.

Where is Jim (dragonflyer)?  I feel like I'm becoming the chatty one.
2010-04-16 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2797398

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2010-04-16 6:55 PM Welcome Stacey.  Your first race is coming up soon!  You are going to have a blast.

I went and watched a triathlon last year and got so excited cheering for people somebody asked me if I was a volunteer Embarassed.  I piped down after that.  It really is a fun atmosphere.

Where is Jim (dragonflyer)?  I feel like I'm becoming the chatty one.

I just paged him.  He should be here soon.

2010-04-16 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I AM IN!!! if you"ll have me??  Going to B town in the morning but will be back in touch real soon--look out!!   Hey, lets train!!!
2010-04-16 10:37 PM

User image

New user

The Oil Patch
I wanna stay in! I have tons more work and really enjoy seeing you all doing so well. You keep the motivation blood flowing

2010-04-16 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2797398

User image

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Yes the race is coming up fast, I find am better motivated with a looming deadline Cry.  I also have the MS bike tour coming up mid June and am really looking forward to that - we are doing 180 km over a two day stretch - I think that's about 111 miles.  It should be a nice ride.
2010-04-17 6:10 AM

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
I WANT BACK IN PLEASE!!! Boy it has been rough. Trying to get everything worked out.  I will post my info later.  I am working today so maybe I will have time to get everything together.  Hope everyone is well and happy!?  Talk to you soon. 
2010-04-17 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

It's good to see the gang back together again, plus some new folks.  

I am making a new rule for BBMG - NO INJURIES ALLOWED!

Everyone have a good weekend.

2010-04-17 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK, I really am the chatty one now, but..... I am sooo excited!!

I conned talked a really awesome super fast swimmer (world class actually) into joining my team tri in August.  So... if I can train consistently, we stand a chance at not just not sucking, but actually doing really well.  I am doing my absolute worst discipline, running, but the other two team members both specialize in their area.  

The run portion is 2 miles.  I need to run it in 8 min miles or less by August 5th.  Is this realistic if I run 3x per week?  Any suggestions on the best way to train for that distance? 
2010-04-17 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2798622

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
AlanaF - 2010-04-17 6:31 PM OK, I really am the chatty one now, but..... I am sooo excited!!

I conned talked a really awesome super fast swimmer (world class actually) into joining my team tri in August.  So... if I can train consistently, we stand a chance at not just not sucking, but actually doing really well.  I am doing my absolute worst discipline, running, but the other two team members both specialize in their area.  

The run portion is 2 miles.  I need to run it in 8 min miles or less by August 5th.  Is this realistic if I run 3x per week?  Any suggestions on the best way to train for that distance? 

I wish i had even a clue where to start answering. Looking forward to a GREAT answer from someone in the group :D

2010-04-17 6:34 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
clarkest - 2010-04-16 3:00 PM I'm in if I may (Stacey Clarke - Clarkest), it's my first year... mini sprint May 23/10.  Started training last year, but was side tracked by a surgery, back on track now.  The bike is my strength, then swim, and then the dreaded run (pretty sure that one's a mental block :-)!

Welcome to the group Stacey.
2010-04-17 6:40 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

AlanaF - 2010-04-17 6:31 PM OK, I really am the chatty one now, but..... I am sooo excited!!

Ok, can only speak from experience for me. I have never been a good runner. I have an accord with running, I tri therefore I try to run. With that said, when I first started to train in 2004, I was a mid 13 minute per mile runner. With a ton of effort, the best result I could find that year was mid 9 minute miles on less than 5k. I do know one year I really kicked some butt and got under 9 minute miles on a 5k. It was very hard for me.

Now with that said, with a consitant 3x per week and some smart training, anything is possible. You will really need to mix up your distance and paces. This means to me that you will probably be looking at a minimum of 5 mile long runs to build endurance and some speed work. The best thing for me was to find a course with mile markers. I would make sure each 1/2 mile split was faster than the one before it. This trained me to have a good finish and helped me find a solid pace I could hold on race day.

Good luck and we will watch your progress.

2010-04-17 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2798719

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontherun - 2010-04-17 6:40 PM

Ok, can only speak from experience for me. I have never been a good runner. I have an accord with running, I tri therefore I try to run. With that said, when I first started to train in 2004, I was a mid 13 minute per mile runner. With a ton of effort, the best result I could find that year was mid 9 minute miles on less than 5k. I do know one year I really kicked some butt and got under 9 minute miles on a 5k. It was very hard for me.

Now with that said, with a consitant 3x per week and some smart training, anything is possible. You will really need to mix up your distance and paces. This means to me that you will probably be looking at a minimum of 5 mile long runs to build endurance and some speed work. The best thing for me was to find a course with mile markers. I would make sure each 1/2 mile split was faster than the one before it. This trained me to have a good finish and helped me find a solid pace I could hold on race day.

Good luck and we will watch your progress.

No pressure or anything   I talked to a tri coach at the Y and he said for me to keep data for the next week and then he can give me some pointers. 
2010-04-18 5:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Can I join?
2010-04-18 4:53 PM
in reply to: #2799108

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

zachkoe - 2010-04-18 6:50 AM Can I join?

Of course.  Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself and your upcoming season?

2010-04-18 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Should first start out saying hello to the new people in our group and also a BIG MISS YOU to the others who have been part of our group since the beginning. It took a while for me to get back up and running but here I am once again dragging out my soap box (might as well sit down if you are new to our group as I am the resident mouth piece once I get started)  Haven't been involved for a extended period of time with the Beginner Tri site but my vote is in for this being one of the best experinces possible-involved with a wonderful group like ourselfs--it has been both entertaining and educational.  It seems like someone is always available to offer much needed advice and support whenever needed.  Everyone needs a good kick in the butt at various times and this has proven to be the perfect place to receive the added boost when your training slows or you are feeling like the laps in the pool are never ending or the miles on the road riding and running go on and on.  It seems like another member is going through the same trials.  In case you haven't guessed, I enjoy my visits here and have missed my many new found friends--many of us stayed on while others have dissapeared.  Your will learn a lot here if you want to listen, but most of all have a good time and keep training!!  The work outs might not get any easier but it's a journey we all enjoy.  Like Josh said, stay healthy and post often--ok, now back to our mentor--Josh, keep us all in line when you can  !
2010-04-18 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Had a visit at work from Team Live Strong at work, so am trying to post a pic of their bike---sweet ride! (hope it works)

(Live Strong Team.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Live Strong Team.jpg (24KB - 16 downloads)
2010-04-18 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Hi Everyone-
  Thanks for letting me join your group!

A little about myself:
   I'm a 30yr old science teacher, high school soccer and lacrosse coach, and a premier soccer coach. Most important a mom to an active 22 month old
  This is my second year of doing sprint triathlons. I decided to give them a try last year after having 4 knee surgeries (meniscal repair ultimately leading to a mensicotomy) in 8months, followed by a pregnancy. I figured, hell I have a baby why not try giving something else a try. I wanted to get back in shape and lose the baby weight. Oh yeah, and my boyfriend said he didn't think I would do it.So I said bring it on

Last year I did 2 spring triathlons and a bunch of road races. This year I am planning on doing 3 sprint tris and possibly 1 olympic distance. Not sure about training time with the Olympic distance with my work and daughters schedule. I also am planning a 25K at the end of May.Not sure what got into me on that one.
  I'm hoping to lose a little more weight, I gained about 8lbs back after losing a bunch last year. Kind of at a road block with that.
  I'm excited to be on board!
 -Elayna
2010-04-18 9:22 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Short answer, yes.  I average around 10:30min/miles.  I have been in races before where the first 2 miles I have gone 8:30 and I did a time trial where I was at 8:15 for 20 mins or so.   I suck at running and if I can get down in the 8's, you can absolutely do it.  You need to find a structure plan where one workout is short distance and sprints, another medium workouts with drills, and then your long workout.  I will look for you .

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27