General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-10-20 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3161668

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group
Champ76 - 2010-10-20 5:29 AM Hi Guy's, its spring in Australia and our season is about to start. I did my first sprint back in feb using this program and had no problems. I even used a crappy old mtn bike!
I bought a roady over winter and started this program on monday. I should of started 4 weeks ago but i got the dreaded swine flu and its taken until know to come good enough to start.
I plan on diong this plan until the start of Dec then i am going to start the Oly 16 week program for a race in march. I have a sprint race on the 5th of Dec.
I look forward to chatting and seeing how everyone going.

Welcome! Very happy to have you join us here. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress!

2010-10-20 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3052887

User image

Veteran
I went to get a tour of a possible pool today. It looks good schedule-wise, etc.  I'm not sure why I didn't just sign up today.  Anyway, I drove to the other possible pool (was a member there years ago) to determine drive time and it's about equal.  I'll go back to pool #1 and sign up and get in the H2O tomorrow!  I'm pretty excited.  It's been a while since I've built up any swim endurance.  I ordered a swim suit, but can get by on what I have for a few swims.  Time to pack a swim bag and put it in my car...
2010-10-21 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3163161

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rustymom - 2010-10-20 2:50 PM I went to get a tour of a possible pool today. It looks good schedule-wise, etc.  I'm not sure why I didn't just sign up today.  Anyway, I drove to the other possible pool (was a member there years ago) to determine drive time and it's about equal.  I'll go back to pool #1 and sign up and get in the H2O tomorrow!  I'm pretty excited.  It's been a while since I've built up any swim endurance.  I ordered a swim suit, but can get by on what I have for a few swims.  Time to pack a swim bag and put it in my car...

GREAT job! A step in the right direction!
2010-10-21 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Good run last night. Got signed up for the pool at lunch today and got in 800yds. Had my exercise class tonight for some cardio, squats, lunges, arms, abs.Then I fell down the stairs. Luckily it was the last 4 or so. Somehow I got turned arounnd and my right shin scraped, banged each step. Not sure exactly how I landed but only my shin and toes on same leg seem effected. I iced the shin but it's still throbbing a bit. We'll see what tomorrow brings to see what exercise I can do.
2010-10-22 6:07 AM

User image

Regular
South Australia
Last night i played 40mins of fast pace basketball and due to time restraints couldn't fit in my short run in. I do this every thursday. To start of with while the run's are short is this an ok substitute?
2010-10-22 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3166278

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Champ76 - 2010-10-22 6:07 AM Last night i played 40mins of fast pace basketball and due to time restraints couldn't fit in my short run in. I do this every thursday. To start of with while the run's are short is this an ok substitute?

Absolutely! Basketball is great cross-training.

2010-10-22 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3165981

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rustymom - 2010-10-21 7:38 PM Good run last night. Got signed up for the pool at lunch today and got in 800yds. Had my exercise class tonight for some cardio, squats, lunges, arms, abs.Then I fell down the stairs. Luckily it was the last 4 or so. Somehow I got turned arounnd and my right shin scraped, banged each step. Not sure exactly how I landed but only my shin and toes on same leg seem effected. I iced the shin but it's still throbbing a bit. We'll see what tomorrow brings to see what exercise I can do.

Ouch, ouch, ouch! Sorry about your tumble yesterday. Hope your shin is feeling better already! And congrats on getting your first swim workout done!
2010-10-22 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3166288

Columbus, Ohio

ok--patience is not a virtue I possess so I know that I need to be careful to not try to do too much too soon or expect too much too fast.

With that said I am now in my third week back in the gym and starting to feel the benefits.  I couldn't stop myself from trying my own little "mini brick" last night in the gym.  I really  just wanted to feel what my legs would feel like on the move from a bike to running.  I put 9 miles on the bike in about 35 minutes (about a 95 RPM average) and then two miles in 28 minutes.  Not a super fast pace yet on the run I am still building endurance right now so there was some walking in there.

Actually, it felt better than I expected.  I understand that it wasn't race type conditions but there was just something about confronting it that made me feel good.

On the swimming front I decided to wait until the next masters swimming class starts rather than the one in about 10 days.  I want to build up my conditioning level a bit more before hitting the water.  My "theory" is that if I am struggling with conditioning and trying to swim it may lead to break downs in learning proper form.  (I may also be rationalizing a reason to avoid the water!!Laughing)

Right now I am not training with any group.  (maybe later as my conditioning improves)  Just reading the posts on this site keep me motivated.  Thanks to everyone.  So glad I found it.

2010-10-22 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3167222

Columbus, Ohio

One more thing I just thought of FWIW:

I hated my first couple of run/walks.  HATED Yell

The plan talks about gradually moving from walk to run and I was ok with that.  My big realization that it took me to the second week to figure out (that patience thing again) was to slow down my pace.  For some reason I decided that since it was short periods of running I should go at a fast pace.  No fun at all.  I would even struggle to recover by the next time to run. 

Starting at the end of last week I just slowed down the pace.  I don't feel like I am dying and find that by the end of the walking period I am ready to run again.

Don't know if I will ever LOVE to run but we are at least tolerating each other much, much better.

2010-10-22 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
nray66 - 2010-10-22 1:21 PM

On the swimming front I decided to wait until the next masters swimming class starts rather than the one in about 10 days.  I want to build up my conditioning level a bit more before hitting the water.  My "theory" is that if I am struggling with conditioning and trying to swim it may lead to break downs in learning proper form.  (I may also be rationalizing a reason to avoid the water!!Laughing)

Funny, I'm doing similar rationalizing on the cycling.  I've fit running and swimming in, but not cycling.  Need a trainer, mat for under it, smooth tire.  My bike needs a tune up or I can only use the easiest set of gears...

I got a swim in today.  My shin hurts a bit with each step I take, so running is out for today.
2010-10-25 5:05 AM

User image

Regular
South Australia

I am really enjoying back training at the moment, it feels great after being sick.
The swim part unfortunately i've only managed 2 instead of 4 where i should be in the plan. The reason for this is the local pool doesnt open for another couple of weeks (its an olympic size outdoor and closes over winter) so i have only swam in the towns waterways twice when the weathers been warm enough as i dont have a wetsuit. What are some good exercises to help stimulate the right muscles until then?

How is everyone elses training going?

2010-10-25 9:04 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
nray66 - 2010-10-22 12:21 PM

ok--patience is not a virtue I possess so I know that I need to be careful to not try to do too much too soon or expect too much too fast.

With that said I am now in my third week back in the gym and starting to feel the benefits.  I couldn't stop myself from trying my own little "mini brick" last night in the gym.  I really  just wanted to feel what my legs would feel like on the move from a bike to running.  I put 9 miles on the bike in about 35 minutes (about a 95 RPM average) and then two miles in 28 minutes.  Not a super fast pace yet on the run I am still building endurance right now so there was some walking in there.

Actually, it felt better than I expected.  I understand that it wasn't race type conditions but there was just something about confronting it that made me feel good.

Right now I am not training with any group.  (maybe later as my conditioning improves)  Just reading the posts on this site keep me motivated.  Thanks to everyone.  So glad I found it.

I think it's totally fine that you did your mini brick! It's important to follow a plan, but it's also important to listen to your body and use your mental and physical state as a guide to what kind of training to perform. In your case, you felt a strong desire to challenge yourself and see what it felt like to do a brick, so you did it. Alternatively, on the days you feel really tired and mentally exhausted, you may choose to have a really easy workout or no workout at all. A training plan works best in combination with knowing and listening to yourself really well.
Sounds like your training is going GREAT, btw. I enjoyed reading about it!
2010-10-25 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3169792

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Champ76 - 2010-10-25 5:05 AM

I am really enjoying back training at the moment, it feels great after being sick.
The swim part unfortunately i've only managed 2 instead of 4 where i should be in the plan. The reason for this is the local pool doesnt open for another couple of weeks (its an olympic size outdoor and closes over winter) so i have only swam in the towns waterways twice when the weathers been warm enough as i dont have a wetsuit. What are some good exercises to help stimulate the right muscles until then?

How is everyone elses training going?

Just work on your core strength until you can get in the pool. You can google resistance band exercises for swimmers if you like, but I wouldn't stress too much about not being to get in the pool. As soon as the pool opens, just make sure you are really consistent with the swim training and you will be fine.
2010-10-25 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3167615

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rustymom - 2010-10-22 2:55 PM
nray66 - 2010-10-22 1:21 PM

Funny, I'm doing similar rationalizing on the cycling.  I've fit running and swimming in, but not cycling.  Need a trainer, mat for under it, smooth tire.  My bike needs a tune up or I can only use the easiest set of gears...

I got a swim in today.  My shin hurts a bit with each step I take, so running is out for today.

I want that bike cleaned and tuned by the end of the week!!
2010-10-28 7:34 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
How is everyone doing this week?
2010-10-28 12:17 PM

Columbus, Ohio

Actually got out of the gym this past weekend and hit the road with my trusty mountain bike.  Ended up just short of 10 miles is just over 40 minutes.  No cages, no special peddles--just pushing the whole way!!  I am not worried about winning anything (my training motto I posted on my fridge is DFL>DNF>DNS) so I feel pretty good about the bike.  I can challenge myself to go faster once I have one under my belt. 

Two things became clear:  (1)  the bike needs a tune up--bad.  The lowest six gears would seem to be for hills and I didn't have any hills.  The middle "six" is where I felt pretty good but I could only change between two gears since it was not tuned.  No big hills but grade differences.  Going up a grade dropped it down 1 and just kept pushing!!  I also couldn't shift to the top six gears.  Not many options.  (2)  I need to at least get cages on the peddles.   I am much more effiicent in the gym because my feet are stapped to the peddles and I am making a complete circle (at least most of the time!!)

On the running front I am building up my running time versus walking time.  Now at running for 3 walking for 2.  Made 4.25 miles last night in 60 minutes.  So far all on the treadmill.  As a clyde (about 270) I am starting to feel like I am abusing the poor treadmill less.  In the beginning I wondered who would give out first--me or the machine.  I am still not going fast but I feel smoother when I run and less like I am stomping on the machine--if that makes sense.

I still haven't hit the pool.  I know there is a master's class at the Y by work but, as I rationalized earlier I am trying to build up overall fitness before subjecting myself to my biggest fear of the three events.  Someone posted today on the Ohio board about the class that is starting now and I must admit being temped but I also recognize my own challenge of not trying to do too much too quick.  I am still shooting for 6/4/11 being my first sprint so I am feeling ok with starting the master's class right after the first of the year.

WOW--just realized this is a long post!!

2010-10-29 1:37 AM

User image

Regular
South Australia
Training is going good this week. Some warmer weather earlier during the week made for some nice swimming in the waterways. It feels great to be in the water again. I have been doing a little longer on the bike sometimes as i already had a good base but not to much as i want to stick with the plan and not overtrain.

Edited by Champ76 2010-10-29 1:42 AM
2010-10-29 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
I swam twice last week and 3 times this week.  I think I'll speed up my interval for 50s and then increase the number of them (from 10 to 12). Then I will switch to 100s.  I'm pressed for time as I swim at lunch, but I'm glad to be making progress.

I have to find the time to deal with my bike.  I think I'll take it home this weekend and try to clean it up and see where I could take it for a tune up (shifting issues).

I'll be running tonight (after my time off due to falling down stairs).  Week 2 of Gateway to 8K=4 x 8min run/1min walk.  Sun. I plan to move on to week 3 (4 x 9min run/1 min walk).

2010-10-30 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3179938

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
nray66 - 2010-10-28 12:17 PM
Actually got out of the gym this past weekend and hit the road with my trusty mountain bike.  Ended up just short of 10 miles is just over 40 minutes.  No cages, no special peddles--just pushing the whole way!!  I am not worried about winning anything (my training motto I posted on my fridge is DFL>DNF>DNS) so I feel pretty good about the bike.  I can challenge myself to go faster once I have one under my belt. 

Two things became clear:  (1)  the bike needs a tune up--bad.  The lowest six gears would seem to be for hills and I didn't have any hills.  The middle "six" is where I felt pretty good but I could only change between two gears since it was not tuned.  No big hills but grade differences.  Going up a grade dropped it down 1 and just kept pushing!!  I also couldn't shift to the top six gears.  Not many options.  (2)  I need to at least get cages on the peddles.   I am much more effiicent in the gym because my feet are stapped to the peddles and I am making a complete circle (at least most of the time!!)

On the running front I am building up my running time versus walking time.  Now at running for 3 walking for 2.  Made 4.25 miles last night in 60 minutes.  So far all on the treadmill.  As a clyde (about 270) I am starting to feel like I am abusing the poor treadmill less.  In the beginning I wondered who would give out first--me or the machine.  I am still not going fast but I feel smoother when I run and less like I am stomping on the machine--if that makes sense.

I still haven't hit the pool.  I know there is a master's class at the Y by work but, as I rationalized earlier I am trying to build up overall fitness before subjecting myself to my biggest fear of the three events.  Someone posted today on the Ohio board about the class that is starting now and I must admit being temped but I also recognize my own challenge of not trying to do too much too quick.  I am still shooting for 6/4/11 being my first sprint so I am feeling ok with starting the master's class right after the first of the year.

WOW--just realized this is a long post!!

LOVE it! Great job! I would really like to see you try the Masters class, though! Going once will at least get rid of the fear of the unknown. It took me years as a triathlete before I went to my first Masters class because I was nervous and didn't know what to expect. Well, I felt like I had conquered the world when I finally did it! And it totally was NOTHING to be fearful of at all.
Glad you took your bike out. Sounds like FUN!
2010-10-30 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3181640

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Champ76 - 2010-10-29 1:37 AM Training is going good this week. Some warmer weather earlier during the week made for some nice swimming in the waterways. It feels great to be in the water again. I have been doing a little longer on the bike sometimes as i already had a good base but not to much as i want to stick with the plan and not overtrain.

Great! It's ok to go a bit longer on the bike if you already have some bike fitness. You will know whether it's too much if you feel you aren't recovered for the next day's workouts.
2010-10-30 6:53 AM
in reply to: #3183439

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rustymom - 2010-10-29 12:43 PM I swam twice last week and 3 times this week.  I think I'll speed up my interval for 50s and then increase the number of them (from 10 to 12). Then I will switch to 100s.  I'm pressed for time as I swim at lunch, but I'm glad to be making progress.

I have to find the time to deal with my bike.  I think I'll take it home this weekend and try to clean it up and see where I could take it for a tune up (shifting issues).

I'll be running tonight (after my time off due to falling down stairs).  Week 2 of Gateway to 8K=4 x 8min run/1min walk.  Sun. I plan to move on to week 3 (4 x 9min run/1 min walk).

Sounds like things are going well. Very glad to hear that you are back to running! Your swimming sounds great, too!

2010-11-02 5:35 AM

User image

Had an awesome run last night with the Monday night group.  We did a route that we hadn't done since August and I was so much stronger this time - it really felt great.  Swimming on Sunday was on target as well, although I need to express how dull I find drills to be.  Is it possible my technique is passable (though clearly not stellar) and I can just work on the conditioning?  Today is an off day, and tomorrow is  run/bike after work. 

Best wishes to all for a great day - DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!  WHATEVER YOU ARE, BE A GOOD ONE!
2010-11-02 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3190107

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
AmyDeeRunz - 2010-11-02 5:35 AM Had an awesome run last night with the Monday night group.  We did a route that we hadn't done since August and I was so much stronger this time - it really felt great.  Swimming on Sunday was on target as well, although I need to express how dull I find drills to be.  Is it possible my technique is passable (though clearly not stellar) and I can just work on the conditioning?  Today is an off day, and tomorrow is  run/bike after work. 

Best wishes to all for a great day - DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!  WHATEVER YOU ARE, BE A GOOD ONE!

I voted, yay! Now, about those drills. EVERYONE finds drills boring and tedious. EVERYONE skips them even though they know they shouldn't . It's like the warm up and cool down before and after a race. We know we are supposed to do it, but we don't.
Of course, I wish everyone WOULD do drills. They are very important as they help you continue to establish good habits in the water with your form. Do your best to do them as prescribed. You will be better off as a swimmer in the end!
2010-11-03 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
I've been laying a bit low due to my shin injury (fell down stairs).  I ran Sun 4 x 9min run/1min walk and swam Mon, then found that my leg ached late Monday and Tues.  Today it seems better, so I plan to swim and then run 1.5 miles tonight to maintain some endurance.  I'll have to wait to get back on my Gateway to 8K plan until I feel more confident about my shin. 

editted to add:Nope I didn't get any running in, maybe swimming is making it sore.  Perhaps the pushoff after flipturn, it's not my kick probably as that is 2 beat at best.  Will swim today Thurs and ex class then run tomorrow.

Edited by rustymom 2010-11-04 8:31 AM
2010-11-04 1:19 PM

Columbus, Ohio
I posted this over on the Ohio threads but wanted to touch base here too. . . .

Oh my God!!!  Decided, what the heck, let's jump in the pool and see what happens last night at the downtown Y.  This was after about 3.25 miles on the treadmill.  Thought I was going to die and it is a small pool.  I guess I have to start somewhere.  I kept looking at the bored life guard to make sure he was paying attention!!!

Hitting the pool after the treadmill was probably not the smartest way to go since I haven't been swimming but it gives me a starting point and, obviously, I did not die but I will probably continue to work on just conditioning and join the Master's group in January.

Jessica, it was your encouragement to try the Master's class that at least got me in the water.  I wasn't thanking you last night I can tell you but I appreciate it this morning--got to start somewhere.

Nicholas.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 11