General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-11-04 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3052887

User image

Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group
Hello,

My name is Eric and I am fairly new to triathlons.  I did a sprint 2 summers ago, but was injured a lot last year.  So now I have a goal of doing a half Ironman next year.  I am currently in my second week of the original 13 week sprint training plan.  I have started a blog to keep myself responsible since I haven't met many people in my city that participate in triathlons.  Feel free to check out my blog:

www.roadtohalfironman.blogspot.com

Please leave a comment or a suggestion for a workout that has helped you along the way.

Thanks,

Eric R.
Bloomington IN

Edited by rogerses 2010-11-04 3:09 PM

2010-11-05 5:43 AM

User image

Is it normal to have a lot of calf cramping when switching between biking and running?  I am finding that on the days where I ride and then go straight to running that my calves (both of them) cramp up really badly when I first start out.  If I walk for about 5 minutes then I am able run the rest of the distance.  Is this just because I'm changing quickly from two very different motions?  I stretch before I start riding, but did not between the bike and run segments.

Thanks!
2010-11-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3195294

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
nray66 - 2010-11-04 1:19 PM I posted this over on the Ohio threads but wanted to touch base here too. . . .

Oh my God!!!  Decided, what the heck, let's jump in the pool and see what happens last night at the downtown Y.  This was after about 3.25 miles on the treadmill.  Thought I was going to die and it is a small pool.  I guess I have to start somewhere.  I kept looking at the bored life guard to make sure he was paying attention!!!

Hitting the pool after the treadmill was probably not the smartest way to go since I haven't been swimming but it gives me a starting point and, obviously, I did not die but I will probably continue to work on just conditioning and join the Master's group in January.

Jessica, it was your encouragement to try the Master's class that at least got me in the water.  I wasn't thanking you last night I can tell you but I appreciate it this morning--got to start somewhere.

Nicholas.

Wow, Nicholas! You made my day!! Thanks for sharing that with me. And YES...swimming after running is HARD!!! So glad you jumped in the pool, though!!
2010-11-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3196330

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
AmyDeeRunz - 2010-11-05 5:43 AM Is it normal to have a lot of calf cramping when switching between biking and running?  I am finding that on the days where I ride and then go straight to running that my calves (both of them) cramp up really badly when I first start out.  If I walk for about 5 minutes then I am able run the rest of the distance.  Is this just because I'm changing quickly from two very different motions?  I stretch before I start riding, but did not between the bike and run segments.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's just a matter of changing muscles used from bike to run. In time it will hopefully go away with better conditioning, but if it persists there are some other things you can look at. Since it's only your calves that cramp, I am guessing it's not a dehydration or electrolyte issue. Could be your bike position, your running shoes, or your something else.
If it is still a problem after a few more months of consistent training, you might want to go to the bike shop and get re-fit, paying attention to cleat position especially.
2010-11-05 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3193108

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rustymom - 2010-11-03 11:56 AM I've been laying a bit low due to my shin injury (fell down stairs).  I ran Sun 4 x 9min run/1min walk and swam Mon, then found that my leg ached late Monday and Tues.  Today it seems better, so I plan to swim and then run 1.5 miles tonight to maintain some endurance.  I'll have to wait to get back on my Gateway to 8K plan until I feel more confident about my shin. 

editted to add:Nope I didn't get any running in, maybe swimming is making it sore.  Perhaps the pushoff after flipturn, it's not my kick probably as that is 2 beat at best.  Will swim today Thurs and ex class then run tomorrow.

Sorry to hear this nagging injury is still causing you problems. Sounds frustrating. You have plenty of time, though, so being conservative is the best approach. Hopefully next week will be better!
2010-11-15 10:06 PM

User image

So I am starting my 4th week on this program and I am doing pretty well so far with the training.  I was sick last week and missed 2 workouts.  I was pretty bummed this weekend because I didn't get to train.  I have also added in 2 weight lifting days where I work on muscular endurance and core.  So far I really like this plan.  I am thinking about signing up for an indoor triathlon in Dec, has anyone done one before?  Was it worth doing it if you have done a sprint before?  I love competition so that is the main reason I was thinking about doing it.

Eric

2010-11-16 12:43 AM
in reply to: #3212535

User image

Regular
South Australia
Hi Eric, i have just completed the 4th week of this programme and feling great. The lighter week of training was good but i flet like i was taking it to easy but i know its for a reason. i am only on this plan for another week then i start the 16 week oly plan for my race in march. I am glad i started this one first though as it has been a good build up. I had a look at your blog briefly and it lokks great. Good luck with the half ironman journey. I hope to get there in a couple of years when the family life settles a little.

Dan
2010-11-17 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3212535

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rogerses - 2010-11-15 10:06 PM So I am starting my 4th week on this program and I am doing pretty well so far with the training.  I was sick last week and missed 2 workouts.  I was pretty bummed this weekend because I didn't get to train.  I have also added in 2 weight lifting days where I work on muscular endurance and core.  So far I really like this plan.  I am thinking about signing up for an indoor triathlon in Dec, has anyone done one before?  Was it worth doing it if you have done a sprint before?  I love competition so that is the main reason I was thinking about doing it.

Eric

I think an indoor triathlon is a great way to have some fun over the winter! The winter can be pretty boring since we aren't racing at all, so anything you can do to break up that monotony is great.
2010-11-17 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3212600

User image

Dan,

Thanks for the comment.  I really appreciate the blog view as well.  I really want to challenge myself next year.  So I am really looking forward to progressing along.  I am getting married in June, so I know how family can affect training.  I just try to be flexible with everything and put family and training at the top of my to do list and then do as much of the other stuff as I can.  Good luck with you triathlon training.

Eric
2010-11-17 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3215163

User image

Jessica,

Thanks for the advice.  I love competition, even when it is just friendly competition.  I think I will sign up for the race.  Like you said the winter is a little boring.  Especially once the weather pushes training indoors.  Sometimes I wish I lived in San Diego or somewhere like that.  Thanks for the comment.

Eric
2010-11-18 6:12 AM

User image

Regular
South Australia

Eric,

Congrats on getting married next June. I have been married 11 years with 2 girls 4 & 2, so training has to be really planed. This means lots of early training sessions which are getting alot easier with the warmer weather. Good luck with the indoor tri and i dont know how you do training in those cold winters over there.

Dan. 

Edited by Champ76 2010-11-18 6:13 AM

2010-11-18 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3216014

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rogerses - 2010-11-17 9:45 PM Jessica,

Thanks for the advice.  I love competition, even when it is just friendly competition.  I think I will sign up for the race.  Like you said the winter is a little boring.  Especially once the weather pushes training indoors.  Sometimes I wish I lived in San Diego or somewhere like that.  Thanks for the comment.

Eric

I used to live in Florida, where we could easily train outside all year. It was great, but it also caused a lot of people to train too much, as you never had a reason to slow down!
2010-11-20 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3216122

User image

Dan,

I am sure that it is more difficult getting in the training sessions, especially with 2 little ones.  I am happy to only have a 2 year old dog to take care of.  I just saw that you were from Australia, I loved it when I was there in the Navy.  I was in Perth for about 2 weeks and I loved it.  I actually almost moved there after I got out of the Navy.  What part are you from?  When I was there it was actually pretty cold compared to when I was stationed in Guam.  As for the cold weather, I use Under Armour cold weather gear with multiple layers.
2010-11-20 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3219637

User image

Regular
South Australia
Eric,

I live in the state of South Australia in a country town about 250km north of Adelaide. I am right next to the Flinders Ranges. ( not sure if you have heard of the ranges). We have very warm summers and not to bad  winters. Nothing like you by the sounds of it, maybe long knicks, jersey, a wind proof jacket and long fingered gloves for my bike rides in the middle of winter. At the moment it's 34 degrees celcius and the next few days are getting upto 36 and 37.....HOT!!!
Training definately has to be more planned with the 2 little ones, so early morning starts work the best which is a lot easier since it's got hotter. Especailly swimming since the pool in town is not indoor or heated.
I have never been to Perth but my wife has and said it was beatifull.

Happy winter training....lol

Dan.
2010-11-21 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3219868

User image

Dan,

Wow you have some heat!  I like the warm weather, but like you said definitely have to come prepared for it.  I used to go early or late at night for runs when I was in Guam and it would be so hot.  I looked up the Flinders Ranges and they were really pretty looking.  When I was in Perth, we went into the Outback and saw some of the rock formations, but definitely not what you have.  You probably have a bunch of scary snakes out your way.  I hate snakes and snakes hate the cold so works out well for me here.  Enjoy your training.

2010-12-16 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Good afternoon everyone!

I am so excited to get into the triathlon world!  I am a runner and have complete 8 half marathons and 1 full marathon.  This past January I completed the Goofy Challenge by running the half and full marathons in the same weekend at Disney.  I know...crazy...but what an experience.

I am planning to compete in my first triathlon this coming April.  This will be a sprint distance at the Granite Falls Triathlon on April 9 in Rolesville, NC.  I am really looking forward to this event.  I figured the 13 week plan would be perfect to follow leading up to this event.

Eric, I became a follower on your blog.  Looking forward to keeping up with you training.  I too have a blog if anyone is interested in following (the address is in my signature). 

If anyone has advice, I welcome any and all.

Thanks,
Chick

2010-12-16 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3251530

User image

Congrats on coming over to the Tri side!  It is a fun an exciting event.  I enjoyed my first sprint and you will do fine with the 13 week program.  If you are not a strong swimmer I would suggest adding a swim to your workouts.  Especially since you are a runner you can easily handle the 3 mile run.  So I would modify the schedule and add a swim workout, even if it is just a short one.  Also thanks for following the blog.  I will check yours out too.  Enjoy the training and you will do fine.

Eric
2010-12-17 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3251530

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
cup06champs - 2010-12-16 4:40 PM Good afternoon everyone!

I am so excited to get into the triathlon world!  I am a runner and have complete 8 half marathons and 1 full marathon.  This past January I completed the Goofy Challenge by running the half and full marathons in the same weekend at Disney.  I know...crazy...but what an experience.

I am planning to compete in my first triathlon this coming April.  This will be a sprint distance at the Granite Falls Triathlon on April 9 in Rolesville, NC.  I am really looking forward to this event.  I figured the 13 week plan would be perfect to follow leading up to this event.

Eric, I became a follower on your blog.  Looking forward to keeping up with you training.  I too have a blog if anyone is interested in following (the address is in my signature). 

If anyone has advice, I welcome any and all.

Thanks,
Chick

Welcome! I have done the Goofy Challenge as well - tons of fun!! Looking forward to hearing how your training goes as you get ready for your first race!
2010-12-26 9:04 AM

Am just starting the 13 week training plan - anyone else out there from wilmington, de?  nancy
2010-12-27 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3261737

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ncontel - 2010-12-26 9:04 AM Am just starting the 13 week training plan - anyone else out there from wilmington, de?  nancy

Welcome! Have you been to the Delaware forum yet? You can find it here. Hopefully you can find some other triathletes in your area!
2011-01-02 9:56 AM

User image

Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Almost Over
This week I start week 11 and I am coming to an end of the sprint training plan.  I plan to continue to the Olympic training plan after that.  I feel really good about my fitness level and looking forward to the new year of races.  I plan on doing a couple sprints early in the season and then an Olympic.  Its hard to believe that I am moving up in the ranks of my training.

2011-01-03 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3272286

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Almost Over
rogerses - 2011-01-02 9:56 AM This week I start week 11 and I am coming to an end of the sprint training plan.  I plan to continue to the Olympic training plan after that.  I feel really good about my fitness level and looking forward to the new year of races.  I plan on doing a couple sprints early in the season and then an Olympic.  Its hard to believe that I am moving up in the ranks of my training.

That is SO cool! You deserve a big pat on the back for your hard work and dedication!
2011-01-04 10:30 PM

User image

Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint - First Tri of year
I am super excited.  I just signed up for the Carmel Sprint Tri in April.  I will be more than ready for this by then, but still excited for the first tri of the year.  I am looking forward to getting a chance to work on my transitions before doing some longer races. 
2011-01-05 9:27 AM

User image

Dallas
Hello everyone! My name is Todd and I have been training for the last couple of months on my own but just decided that I need to get a little more structured so I am going to do the Sprint Training plan. I am planning on doing several races this summer with most of them being sprints, but I would like to work up to an Olympic by the end of the summer.

I have a question and need some help. I have never competitively swam before in my life. I can run and ride for days without any problem, but I am completely new to swimming. The furthest I can swim right now without stopping is around 300m. My question is, if I follow the training program, will it get me to the point where I can swim the 500m or hopefully further without stopping? I was just wondering if I am just not in good enough shape yet or am not used to swimming for distance yet and not pacing myself properly. I consider myself in fairly good shape as I can run up to 6 miles and bike around 30, but I am struggling on the swim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
TK
2011-01-05 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3279186

I'm a beginner tri too.  I did my first 1/2 mara in 2010.  Anyway, I went from zero swimming to swimming 1800 yds 2x-3x a week in about 8 weeks.  I just youtubed some swimming videos and drills and went to the pool.  You'll be fine to swim the 500 in just a few weeks of training.  I highly recommend single-arm drills and breathing drills.  Is your swim open water or pool?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 11