Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-10-12 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3146441

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group
blueeyes - 2010-10-11 11:45 PM So I have been reading some of the reports on this IM. I really have been trying to understand how this race is technical and relate it to what I have been doing. Not that I didn't think this was going to be a hard challenge... but I am starting to see that it is going to be a HARD challenge. Either the gps on my phone is wrong about elevation or I am reading things wrong because it seems like this route after reading a few reports you gain more elevation. So I will have to read up on this understand better.

When I was reading the map directions I though it went through Snow Canyon but it appears to go clear up by Veyo. I guess in next week sometime the kids and I will go on a car ride. Figure this out.

I think your mountain biking experience will really help you adjust to road cycling. I predict you will be a very competent road cyclist pretty quickly!
A run/walk strategy is VERY effective for IM training. It's very rare for a beginner to the sport to run the whole entire marathon! Just about everyone has to walk at some point, so as a beginner you can just PLAN to walk by using a run/walk protocol.
You can practice with 3 minutes running/1 walking or go up to 10/1 if you want. It's mostly personal preference combined with fitness level.

2010-10-17 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3052903

Hello all -

I'm John, I'm 50 and I have signed up for IM Canada. I did a Half IM at the end of Sept, only 10 people in the 50-54 age group which allowed me to take 3rd with a 5:45. Not a great time but it was fun getting a medal.

I am looking for suggestions on off season training. I know I need to push up my running miles. I was thinking of aiming to do a winter marathon before starting the 20 week program in March. Is that excessive?

I guess I am not really looking at this as the off season. It is really the beginning of my 11 month IM training plan. I know I have a lot of work to do and I feel like I can't slack off now. Am I over worried?

John
2010-10-18 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3156765

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jhural - 2010-10-17 5:18 PM Hello all -

I'm John, I'm 50 and I have signed up for IM Canada. I did a Half IM at the end of Sept, only 10 people in the 50-54 age group which allowed me to take 3rd with a 5:45. Not a great time but it was fun getting a medal.

I am looking for suggestions on off season training. I know I need to push up my running miles. I was thinking of aiming to do a winter marathon before starting the 20 week program in March. Is that excessive?

I guess I am not really looking at this as the off season. It is really the beginning of my 11 month IM training plan. I know I have a lot of work to do and I feel like I can't slack off now. Am I over worried?

John

Hi John- welcome! YES, you are over-worried. People don't do 11 month training plans for a reason - unless you are a robot, nobody can train consistently for 11 months straight. I know it's scary to have your first IM looming over you, but if you are too dedicated to a training plan now, you WILL lose motivation later and will possibly end up falling off the training when it really matters. I've seen it happen many times.
Do a marathon is you want, but it really is not necessary. Don't feel you NEED to do one before doing an IM.
Instead, you could use a winter maintenance plan to help you stay in pretty good shape (there is a run-focused winter plan here on BT for Siver members), and then maybe train for a shorter distance traithlon in the spring until it's time to train for the IM (5 months out).
2010-10-20 1:43 PM

User image

Regular
Minneapolis, MN

Hi all,

My name is Noah and I am from NYC.  I have registered and I am VERY determined in completing the Louisville, KY Full Ironman next August. I have done one sprint triathlon, which I did surprisingly well in (I placed 2nd in my age group!). I have played soccer all my life so I do have some endurance sport with me.

I have been following the free IM plan so far without the running because I have a small IT band issue. I am seeing a triathlete sports physical therapist who has done wonders for me. I have found that replacing the running with elliptical work has helped the issue instead of prolonging my IT band syndrome. I will start running again next week (took 3 weeks off).

Swimming seems to be my strength.

I am honored to meet everyone and look forward to various input on the free training program.

-Noah

2010-10-22 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3162966

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Fesslern - 2010-10-20 1:43 PM

Hi all,

My name is Noah and I am from NYC.  I have registered and I am VERY determined in completing the Louisville, KY Full Ironman next August. I have done one sprint triathlon, which I did surprisingly well in (I placed 2nd in my age group!). I have played soccer all my life so I do have some endurance sport with me.

I have been following the free IM plan so far without the running because I have a small IT band issue. I am seeing a triathlete sports physical therapist who has done wonders for me. I have found that replacing the running with elliptical work has helped the issue instead of prolonging my IT band syndrome. I will start running again next week (took 3 weeks off).

Swimming seems to be my strength.

I am honored to meet everyone and look forward to various input on the free training program.

-Noah

Hi Noah! We are honored to have you join us here! I am glad you have found a competent and helpful physical therapist. I have had IT band issues as well, and they can be very frustrating! Make sure you keep us up to date on your training.
2010-11-15 3:26 PM

User image

St Albert
Well greetings to all, I'll be on this plan starting in April as my First IM is at the end of Aug (IMC). Currently I'm rehabing a pretty serious knee injury (cartilage, meniscus and MCL) so I'm taking it VERY easy for awhile. In fact I'm thinking this could be too much of a challenge but I can use all the inspires I can get. I'm also looking for tips for IMC, while I've done several 1/2 IM's I think this is a totally different creature.

2010-11-16 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Big THANK YOU to Jessica for calling me out recently with a friendly inspires. I have been in pure running mode since July. Last night I felt so guilty I finally hopped on the trainer for an hour of spinning. My tushy is not so happy today. Time to HTFU. I can't jump into my 20 wk plan flat footed! Next big step will be visiting the pool again, although that's my favorite of the three sports.
2010-11-17 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3213329

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
dhopman - 2010-11-16 11:46 AM Big THANK YOU to Jessica for calling me out recently with a friendly inspires. I have been in pure running mode since July. Last night I felt so guilty I finally hopped on the trainer for an hour of spinning. My tushy is not so happy today. Time to HTFU. I can't jump into my 20 wk plan flat footed! Next big step will be visiting the pool again, although that's my favorite of the three sports.

Haha! I bet your bike is so happy to see our butt again!
2010-11-17 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3212001

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
BigTriGuy - 2010-11-15 3:26 PM Well greetings to all, I'll be on this plan starting in April as my First IM is at the end of Aug (IMC). Currently I'm rehabing a pretty serious knee injury (cartilage, meniscus and MCL) so I'm taking it VERY easy for awhile. In fact I'm thinking this could be too much of a challenge but I can use all the inspires I can get. I'm also looking for tips for IMC, while I've done several 1/2 IM's I think this is a totally different creature.

Welcome!! Ironman Canada is a great race. You will hopefully really enjoy it. I think a GREAT thing for you to do would be to read race reports of other BTers that have done that race. You can find them here.
2010-11-18 1:02 PM

New user

Seattle

My name is Greg and Im a Triathlete.......

Jumping in to the Full IM bucket next year. After finaly getting my swim to a point where Im comfortable I finished (2) 70.3s and now Im signed up for IM CdA. Looking forward to it.

Ive basically taken the 20 week IM plan, threw it on Excel, and moved things around to match my schedule, etc. but kept the weekly hours intact. I used the half Ironman plan at the beginning of the year and it worked well giving me an idea of time to train, etc. Even though I had a few issues (rear wheel coming off bike, legs cramping on run) I finished Vineman 70.3 and learned alot. During second Half-IM I took all I learned in Vineman and dropped 40minutes off the time. Very happy with that.

Right now Im doing some swimming, some bike training (indoors) and have a few half-marathons on the calender before the end of the year. Once January comes I will then start 5 weeks of 'base' and then Feb 7th is the start of the 20 week 'plan'.

Look forward to keeping in touch and bouncing ideas off of everyone in here!

2010-11-18 1:55 PM

User image

hi everyone.

my name is simon and i live in england. after several marathons i decided to move over to the dark side of triathlon. i completed my 1st sprint event back in september and next summer i will be taking part in ironman europe in frankfurt, germany. i've helped out at ironman uk the last 2 years and found the whole day very inspiring. i will be following the 20 week plan, so going to spend the next few months getting the base laid for this. i've also got a place in next aprils london marathon but am going to treat this as purely a training run to test out nutrition.

regards
simon

2010-11-19 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3216912

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
treeman1406 - 2010-11-18 1:02 PM
My name is Greg and Im a Triathlete.......

Jumping in to the Full IM bucket next year. After finaly getting my swim to a point where Im comfortable I finished (2) 70.3s and now Im signed up for IM CdA. Looking forward to it.

Ive basically taken the 20 week IM plan, threw it on Excel, and moved things around to match my schedule, etc. but kept the weekly hours intact. I used the half Ironman plan at the beginning of the year and it worked well giving me an idea of time to train, etc. Even though I had a few issues (rear wheel coming off bike, legs cramping on run) I finished Vineman 70.3 and learned alot. During second Half-IM I took all I learned in Vineman and dropped 40minutes off the time. Very happy with that.

Right now Im doing some swimming, some bike training (indoors) and have a few half-marathons on the calender before the end of the year. Once January comes I will then start 5 weeks of 'base' and then Feb 7th is the start of the 20 week 'plan'.

Look forward to keeping in touch and bouncing ideas off of everyone in here!

Welcome! Sounds like you have a good understanding of training and how to structure things. Looking forward to having you as part of our group here!
2010-11-19 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3217033

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
silverback25 - 2010-11-18 1:55 PM hi everyone.

my name is simon and i live in england. after several marathons i decided to move over to the dark side of triathlon. i completed my 1st sprint event back in september and next summer i will be taking part in ironman europe in frankfurt, germany. i've helped out at ironman uk the last 2 years and found the whole day very inspiring. i will be following the 20 week plan, so going to spend the next few months getting the base laid for this. i've also got a place in next aprils london marathon but am going to treat this as purely a training run to test out nutrition.

regards
simon

Hi Simon. Thanks for joining BT! You are on the right track...just work on that base over the winter, but don't be too structured with your training.
Keep us up to date on your progress!
2010-12-05 10:59 PM

Hi All

As motivation I have entered my first "Iron Distance" Challenge tri in Cairns Australia June 2011.

3 weeks ago I completed the Shepparton HIM (5hr 25min) and used the BT HIM Training plan - which I found to be great for me.

Hopefully the Full IM plan will be as beneficial - I'm sure it will be fantastic (but painful!)

Good luck everyone, speak on the forum.

CheersLaughing
2010-12-06 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3237744

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
dantheman1 - 2010-12-05 10:59 PM Hi All

As motivation I have entered my first "Iron Distance" Challenge tri in Cairns Australia June 2011.

3 weeks ago I completed the Shepparton HIM (5hr 25min) and used the BT HIM Training plan - which I found to be great for me.

Hopefully the Full IM plan will be as beneficial - I'm sure it will be fantastic (but painful!)

Good luck everyone, speak on the forum.

CheersLaughing

Welcome to BT!! Thanks for the introduction. Make sure you keep us up to date on how your training comes along!
2010-12-09 9:30 AM

Hello,

My name is Roy and I will be turning 50 in August. I have been thinking about this milestone and would like to make it a memorable event.  It occurred to me a full ironman would fit the bill. However there are a few hurdles in this plan which leads me to my question Is it even conceivable for a couch potato to do this within a 8 month period? I know this is all relative to the person’s condition and time etc, but assume that I am in good health,(could stand to lose 20lbs) have a little experience with all three disciplines, have the training time, but have NO base training under my belt.  Training for a shorter distance would be smarter but ironman and 50 sounds better to me.

2010-12-10 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3242626

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Old - 2010-12-09 9:30 AM

Hello,

My name is Roy and I will be turning 50 in August. I have been thinking about this milestone and would like to make it a memorable event.  It occurred to me a full ironman would fit the bill. However there are a few hurdles in this plan which leads me to my question Is it even conceivable for a couch potato to do this within a 8 month period? I know this is all relative to the person’s condition and time etc, but assume that I am in good health,(could stand to lose 20lbs) have a little experience with all three disciplines, have the training time, but have NO base training under my belt.  Training for a shorter distance would be smarter but ironman and 50 sounds better to me.

Hi Roy. Welcome to BT and to the forum! As a coach I would never, ever, never, never advocate someone going from couch potato to Ironman in 8 months. Has it been done? Yes. Lots of times, I am sure. But I could never in good faith advocate that for anyone. The risk of injury is very high. VERY high. But even worse, I think it prevents the new athlete from developing a life-long relationship with exercise and sport. Doing one IM in such a short period of time will most likely create a situation where this is just a "bucket list" item for you and once you cross that finish line, you never look at your bike or goggles again. I would MUCH rather see you take on your 50th birthday by becoming a triathlete and devoting the rest of your life to enjoying sports and exercise. Doing a sprint triathlon this year and moving up in distance after that takes a lot more commitment to a healthy lifestyle than going from zero to 100 and right back down to zero again. I have seen it happen time after time, that a couch potato goes BIG and then returns to the couch again.
In the end, this is your decision. We will be here in the forums whichever path you decide is best for you and your life. And we will support whatever goals you have!

2010-12-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3243998

Thank you for your response. You are 100% correct; this is a bucket list activity( I'm conceding craziness). My plan is to spend the next 12 weeks base training to see what kind of physical shape I can get myself in to, after that I will have some tangible information to base my training plan questions off of. In the interim I will keep reading the forums for motivation.

Thank you again.

Roy
2010-12-13 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Welcome to all! I've trained and finished 2 IMs using the Free BT plan and it is AWESOME! I added some time to the biking and killed off a swim each week because that's what suited my schedule. I'll be using the plan again to train for IM #3 in CDA in June. Looking forward to training with you all
2010-12-16 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3247438

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Here is a question about doing some races while training for my first IM.
I'm doing IMC in Aug 2011. I want to do a few other races leading up to IMC - I'll be treating them all as training races (i.e. not worried about PBs or placing).
Is this OK or am I crazy. Will it interfere with my training plan?

Racelist 2011
Half Marathon (6-March) (registered)
30k Run (27-March(registered)
10mile Run (April 8) (Considering)
10k Run (1 May) (Considering)
Full Marathon (15-May) (registerd)
Sprint Tri (7-jun) (Considering)
1/2 Iron Tri (3-Jul) (Considering)
Ironman Canada  (28-Aug) (Registered)
2010-12-17 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3251155

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
mgalanter - 2010-12-16 12:18 PM Here is a question about doing some races while training for my first IM.
I'm doing IMC in Aug 2011. I want to do a few other races leading up to IMC - I'll be treating them all as training races (i.e. not worried about PBs or placing).
Is this OK or am I crazy. Will it interfere with my training plan?

Racelist 2011
Half Marathon (6-March) (registered)
30k Run (27-March(registered)
10mile Run (April 8) (Considering)
10k Run (1 May) (Considering)
Full Marathon (15-May) (registerd)
Sprint Tri (7-jun) (Considering)
1/2 Iron Tri (3-Jul) (Considering)
Ironman Canada  (28-Aug) (Registered)

My opinion as a coach is that the longer the race distance, the LESS you should be racing in training. The training is SO important, and any time you do a race during IM training, you are taking away an opportunity to get in ll your miles for the week either from the race itself or because you need a few days to recover afterward to avoid injury.
I'm not going to tell you to skip the races you have already spent money on, by you do not need to be doing any other races if your primary goal is to be as consistent as possible with your training. Now, for some people, it's a vital mental training tool to race. It can help with making you feel prepared for an event and can help break up the monotony of training. If you think these mental benefits are very important to you, then do some of those races. If they aren't save the money and just stick to the training plan. The earlier races will interfere with training less than the later ones.

2010-12-18 2:23 PM

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
Hi all,

I'm Heather, newbie triathlete (2010 was my first season) but experienced runner (halfway through the training cycle for my 5th marathon). 

I'll be racing Rev3 Cedar Point full this September.

In the past, I've used a coach, but as a student and mom of two youngin's....a coach isn't in the budget right now.  So I need a generic plan.

Honestly, is it worth upgrading from the free plan to the others?  I don't mind spending a little bit of money...being my first full and going at this on my own I really want to start off on the right foot.  I've found a million different training plans online and I just don't know what to do.

Basically, I'm looking for someone to say "this plan was AMAZING, use it!" hahaha Wink
Thanks for your help!
2010-12-20 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3253431

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-18 2:23 PM Hi all,

I'm Heather, newbie triathlete (2010 was my first season) but experienced runner (halfway through the training cycle for my 5th marathon). 

I'll be racing Rev3 Cedar Point full this September.

In the past, I've used a coach, but as a student and mom of two youngin's....a coach isn't in the budget right now.  So I need a generic plan.

Honestly, is it worth upgrading from the free plan to the others?  I don't mind spending a little bit of money...being my first full and going at this on my own I really want to start off on the right foot.  I've found a million different training plans online and I just don't know what to do.

Basically, I'm looking for someone to say "this plan was AMAZING, use it!" hahaha Wink
Thanks for your help!

This plan is amazing, use it!  In all seriousness, I am confident it will meet your needs. Save the money for triathlon gear - you will need it!
Welcome to BT and thank you for joining us! Congrats on taking on this new, exciting challenge!
2010-12-20 11:23 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

Oh What to do?

I have a pretty good base for my self, but I can not figure out a plan.  I want something between the BT begginer plan and fink competitive plan.  I am just so confused.  I did my last HIm in 5:05 and I have ran a 3:23 marathon, but I have no clue what paln to do.  I am doing IMTX and want a coach, but cash is short with 2 kids in full time day care.  I am currently doing Jorges cycling plan, with the DDITION OF ABOUT 35-40mpw running.  I am going to start that water sport tomorrow so I can be ready.  I swam my HIM in 32minutes, but I hope to swim a 1:10 with 3 swims at the most.  Anyone want to help this man out?  I also plan on getting closer to 200 pounds for the race, maybe even 190 

2010-12-22 8:18 AM

Regular
Quincy
I am planning on signing up for IMKY right after Xmas. It will be my first IM. I had planned on doing an HIM this year and had a set back do to injury but am sticking with the plan for IM in 2011. I have done sprints for 5years and a few oly. I have 2 half mary's under my belt and several adventure races. I am planning on a half mary in early May. Over the winter I will focus on building a strong base for the run and bike. I will start the plan 20 weeks our but want to hear from everyone along the way. Good luck everyone.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 16